IGNORED

Pat Lam for BCFC manager

Br 1st ol

3 minutes ago, tin said:

Never going to happen. 

If SL followed what he did with the rugby club to City, Rafa Benitez would be an equal statement of intent to Lam in football terms. 

That, however, is equally unlikely.

Rafa's teams are well known for being useless at line outs, rucks and mauls.

13 minutes ago, Br 1st ol said:

Fits the brief perfectly:

liked by SL

in the area

successful record of promotion to top level

strong man manager

can recruit big names

plays great attractive style

believes in local talent  

get him signed up  

Don't be daft

2 minutes ago, Br 1st ol said:

Fits the brief perfectly:

liked by SL

in the area

successful record of promotion to top level

strong man manager

can recruit big names

plays great attractive style

believes in local talent  

get him signed up  

You forgot to mention he can manage upwards and this is the most important skill the new coach/manager will need.

I find the differences between the culture at City and Bristol Rugby really interesting.  The consistent presence is obviously SL as the owner.  Apart from that the difference is enormous.

At Bristol, it is crystal clear who is in charge, the Chairman Chris Booy seems quite a secure, older bloke who just wants the club to grow and knows the Director of Rugby is the right man to do it.  I get the impression he just wants to have a couple of drinks and have a laugh at matches. The Chief Executive is an ex-player and coach who loves the club and is also more than happy with the Director of Rugby leading and being in charge.  You rarely hear from him.  His job is to ensure things run properly.  A light touch. 

The overall reality is a clear ethos, strong culture and rapid progression from massively underachieving to seriously challenging at the highest level of the game within 3 seasons.  

Pat Lam is clearly most of the reason for this.  Most Important of all, he managed upwards before even accepting the role.  Going from all interviews from SL, Booy and Lam, Lam more or less interviewed them.  He wanted to be sure of their vision, what their exact ambition was. He wouldn't have come here if he wasn't convinced.  Before he took over, at the top of the organisation, there was clarity about everyone's role.  They knew how they would proceed.

Like the Chairman of Bristol Rugby, I think Jon Lansdown wants what's best for the club.  However, he is a younger man and it strikes me a less secure individual.  He knows, like we all do, that he has his role because of who his father is.  I would guess he is desperate to prove himself.  

The Chief Operations Officer, Mr Ashton is an interesting character.  He appears in view when the sun is shining but disappears when things are gloomier.  Able to talk a good game, he seems happy to accept the acclaim but slower to share blame. He seems to have a heavy influence on recruitment (Certainly in comparison to his equivalent at Bristol Rugby).  He is now moving into administration at the EFL - clearly has ambitions outside City.  He could be off soon...

Basically the Rugby side is working beautifully.  The football side dysfunctional.

But, whoever takes over will actually inherit a pretty good situation.  Solvent club, great facilities and the clear potential to get in and stay in the top division.There are actually some very good, proven Championship players here with a number of promising younger players that we have had out on loan.  A good manager/coach should be able to sort this out quickly with decisiveness and clarity. 

For me though, the key aspect and key skill of the new person is, undoubtedly, his ability to manage upwards.  The COO needs to be less visible and the manager/coach far more prominent with incomings/outgoings.  It needs to be clear who is in charge and the others need to be secure themselves in their roles. There have been younger, less secure individuals involved and it has frankly gone wrong. The new man needs to have enough experience and maturity to handle what is around him as well as being able to improve the team (obviously). 

I will be very interested to see who is involved in recruiting...

8 minutes ago, The Bard said:

At Bristol, it is crystal clear who is in charge,

Nick I have said this before. Put Pat Lam in charge a few games ago and we’d go up. The players just needed someone to motivate them.  Pat could do that. Lee couldn’t. 

22 minutes ago, The Bard said:

You forgot to mention he can manage upwards and this is the most important skill the new coach/manager will need.

I find the differences between the culture at City and Bristol Rugby really interesting.  The consistent presence is obviously SL as the owner.  Apart from that the difference is enormous.

At Bristol, it is crystal clear who is in charge, the Chairman Chris Booy seems quite a secure, older bloke who just wants the club to grow and knows the Director of Rugby is the right man to do it.  I get the impression he just wants to have a couple of drinks and have a laugh at matches. The Chief Executive is an ex-player and coach who loves the club and is also more than happy with the Director of Rugby leading and being in charge.  You rarely hear from him.  His job is to ensure things run properly.  A light touch. 

The overall reality is a clear ethos, strong culture and rapid progression from massively underachieving to seriously challenging at the highest level of the game within 3 seasons.  

Pat Lam is clearly most of the reason for this.  Most Important of all, he managed upwards before even accepting the role.  Going from all interviews from SL, Booy and Lam, Lam more or less interviewed them.  He wanted to be sure of their vision, what their exact ambition was. He wouldn't have come here if he wasn't convinced.  Before he took over, at the top of the organisation, there was clarity about everyone's role.  They knew how they would proceed.

Like the Chairman of Bristol Rugby, I think Jon Lansdown wants what's best for the club.  However, he is a younger man and it strikes me a less secure individual.  He knows, like we all do, that he has his role because of who his father is.  I would guess he is desperate to prove himself.  

The Chief Operations Officer, Mr Ashton is an interesting character.  He appears in view when the sun is shining but disappears when things are gloomier.  Able to talk a good game, he seems happy to accept the acclaim but slower to share blame. He seems to have a heavy influence on recruitment (Certainly in comparison to his equivalent at Bristol Rugby).  He is now moving into administration at the EFL - clearly has ambitions outside City.  He could be off soon...

Basically the Rugby side is working beautifully.  The football side dysfunctional.

But, whoever takes over will actually inherit a pretty good situation.  Solvent club, great facilities and the clear potential to get in and stay in the top division.There are actually some very good, proven Championship players here with a number of promising younger players that we have had out on loan.  A good manager/coach should be able to sort this out quickly with decisiveness and clarity. 

For me though, the key aspect and key skill of the new person is, undoubtedly, his ability to manage upwards.  The COO needs to be less visible and the manager/coach far more prominent with incomings/outgoings.  It needs to be clear who is in charge and the others need to be secure themselves in their roles. There have been younger, less secure individuals involved and it has frankly gone wrong. The new man needs to have enough experience and maturity to handle what is around him as well as being able to improve the team (obviously). 

I will be very interested to see who is involved in recruiting...

You’re certainly correct on the Ashton / EFL role. He’s definitely edging for a move to be top man there. 

On 04/07/2020 at 23:59, Harry said:

You’re certainly correct on the Ashton / EFL role. He’s definitely edging for a move to be top man there. 

The sooner the better . The club need far better on recruitment. He is good at the deals but the scouting is nowhere near the required level. 

Of course my suggestion is hyperthetical, and yes, SCW didn’t go well at Southampton, but the qualities and approach of Pat Lam, as listed by earlier poster, is exactly was we require. 

simple plan 

understood by all

ambitious

agreed, consistent formation/strategy

English qualified players

with occasional sprinkling of gold dust  

strong team ethic 

Would love Pat to take just one training session/team building/vision session with the footy boys...

Can we find someone who will match his approach and more for the football team?

If a majority of our support can see from outside the club, what we need from CEO and Head Coach, then one wonders why the City management have blundered on in the dark for so long.

The fans could see that we had no clear playing structure. No Plan A let alone B, C and D. The introduction of Academy players into the first team squad had been haphazard to say the least. Only Kelly given game time that wasn't injury enforced (O'Leary)

Pat Lam is mentioned on here now simply because City have plenty of fans who pay to watch both codes.

Football management is the same as managing any business or raising children to adulthood.

It is about personnel management first, second and last. Fit the tactics in somewhere in the middle.

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If a majority of our support can see from outside the club, what we need from CEO and Head Coach, then one wonders why the City management have blundered on in the dark for so long.

The fans could see that we had no clear playing structure. No Plan A let alone B, C and D. The introduction of Academy players into the first team squad had been haphazard to say the least. Only Kelly given game time that wasn't injury enforced (O'Leary)

Pat Lam is mentioned on here now simply because City have plenty of fans who pay to watch both codes.

Football management is the same as managing any business or raising children to adulthood.

It is about personnel management first, second and last. Fit the tactics in somewhere in the middle.

Because from what I understand Pat Lam is one of if not the best coach in the world? You must be able to understand why City cannot recruit the same caliber of manager for football?

Interesting that everyone thinks that BCFC will only go for a Yes man whereas it’s clear that the model for Bristol is quite the opposite of this. Why won’t SL countenance a similar model for both?

is the difference in the general level of intelligence of your average rugby man compared to football? Klopp, Solskaer, Lampard and a few others bring an exception. Or is it an ego issue? Far fewer egos in rugby. 

The absolute polar opposite of Pat Lam would be John Terry. Lack of intelligence and excess of ego all wrapped up in one. 

Avoid like the plague!!!

Archived