IGNORED

Conveyancing recommendation

Henry

Pals of mine bought a flat a while back and used whoever it was their mortgage broker recommend, flat was in Bristol, legals done via some firm in Manchester.

Never spoke to the same person twice, they were pretty convinced it was a generic call centre with one legally trained person per 250 agents.

Don't know their name, but evidently they were shit as well.

9 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Pals of mine bought a flat a while back and used whoever it was their mortgage broker recommend, flat was in Bristol, legals done via some firm in Manchester.

Never spoke to the same person twice, they were pretty convinced it was a generic call centre with one legally trained person per 250 agents.

Don't know their name, but evidently they were shit as well.

When I bought my place in Somerset, somehow I ended up with a firm in Manchester, Birchall Blackburn. Think it was from an approved list from the lender. I had a consistent single point of contact and she was excellent.

I used a mortgage broker when I bought my flat and they recommended a solicitor. I think they were based in Leicester, I never met them, everything was done via post. It was pretty cheap and I can't remember there being any problems.

As an aside, I kept reading this thread as "clairvoyanting recommendation" and expected it to be about reading tea leaves.

• Admin
4 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Avoid bachelor sharp kingswood, awful.

I’m sure that’s who I used last time I moved, a mad woman who chain smoked, didn’t suffer idiots and had an office as untidy as mine..... but she sorted it all and we got the whole thing done in record time.  Quite nice to deal with someone a bit eccentric who did what they said they would, when they said, even if she did have to hunt through piles of paperwork when documents needed signing.

They're all crap.  It doesn't matter who you use you will be chasing them and they will be doing sod all and blaming the other party's solicitor.  Sorry.

Best advice is to get one recommended by the estate agent or mortgage broker as they can at least apply some pressure.

On 07/07/2020 at 17:24, BS2 Red said:

I used a mortgage broker when I bought my flat and they recommended a solicitor. I think they were based in Leicester, I never met them, everything was done via post. It was pretty cheap and I can't remember there being any problems.

As an aside, I kept reading this thread as "clairvoyanting recommendation" and expected it to be about reading tea leaves.

That’s where I’ve been going wrong! I can’t tell you the amount of poor reviews I’ve got for telling people their uncle jimmy, no Jonny, no Steve, maybe Paul but not ruling out Peter is trying to make contact with them. All they wanted was legal help when buying a house 

22 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

That’s where I’ve been going wrong! I can’t tell you the amount of poor reviews I’ve got for telling people their uncle jimmy, no Jonny, no Steve, maybe Paul but not ruling out Peter is trying to make contact with them. All they wanted was legal help when buying a house 

To be fair, ghosts would do a better job than most solicitors.

@Henry for what it's worth I have just instructed Gail Williams of Gregg Latchams in Queen Square. My purchase is in the early stages but they've been great at onboarding me as a client.

You'll be able to find cheaper than them but my parents and grandmother used the firm for decades for corporate, wills, and property legal matters and have rarely complained.

If it matters at all then I am a solicitor myself and am comfortable with their pricing. Their engagement letter is also properly drafted.

I can also recommend this guy https://nrglaw.co.uk/stephen-mccolgan/ Steve is an old friend of my parents and has been conveyancing in and around Bristol for over 30 years. He'll be honest with you and won't mess you around.

@Henry also, know that you can look up any solicitor or firm using the search function of the Solicitor's Regulation Authority. https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Using this you can see when the person you're speaking to qualified as a solicitor, as well as some very basic information about them. It won't tell you if the person is "good", but it does at least assure you that they are regulated, and gives you their unique SRA identification number.

Hi Everyone, I am looking for reliable conveyancing within Bromsgrove / Redditch and I do not know where to begin! What should I be looking for in a conveyancer to know they are reputable and efficient and how can I distinguish between good and bad conveyancers or lawyers? If anyone can help me out or give me a few local lawyers I could contact about this who you know is value for money and will not waste my time icon7.png

45 minutes ago, oli150194 said:
Hi Everyone, I am looking for reliable conveyancing within Bromsgrove / Redditch and I do not know where to begin! What should I be looking for in a conveyancer to know they are reputable and efficient and how can I distinguish between good and bad conveyancers or lawyers? If anyone can help me out or give me a few local lawyers I could contact about this who you know is value for money and will not waste my time icon7.png

35 minutes ago, oli150194 said:

I was in a similar issue looking for a good conveyancer and still haven't found one that I'm confident of. I went and spoke to my estate agents and they gave me a lot of helpful advice and pointed me in the right direction

Are you in conversation with yourself or did you speak to your estate agent in those 10 minutes?! If you want someone from Bromsgrove it would be worth posting on a Villa forum but you don't actually need a conveyancer from the area in which you are buying. 

Archived