IGNORED

Steve McClaren

ReliantRobin

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve really gone off Dean Smith.  He has become bitter, never accepts his team might have played worse than the opposition, and that’s without it being Villa.

At Brentford his team’s couldn’t defend.  Frank came in, got Pinnock and Jansson in the summer.  Massive difference.

Im not saying no, but I see better candidates out there.

It’s an unpopular opinion but I think Smith is one of the most hugely overrated managers at the moment. His Villa side should be comfortably mid table. 

Lauded as some kind of hero for getting an embarrassment of riches just over the line in the Championship when my Nan could have made a good fist of making that Villa side competitive at this level. 

His team reminds me of us, tens of millions spent but I watch them and I have absolutely no clue what their identity/philosophy is meant to be.

29 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Really don't want McLaren. He had an LJ style end of season wobble at Derby and struggled at Newcastle, Forest and QPR. A great season at Twente over a decade ago aside, I just don't see enough to recommend him.

I reckon he’s got a fair bit in common with LJ in that they’d both make a cracking assistant manager or first team coach but they are also both convinced that they are the real deal and can be a great Head Coach - apparently McClaren was superb when he served under Sir Fergie at Man Yoo - the players loved him and really responded to his training methods - he should have kept his head down and he’d have probably enjoyed a job for life at Old Trafford ...

Archived