IGNORED

Players to stay or go under new boss.

barneyrubble

Whoever is fortunate enough to get the manager post is going to have to do some serious sorting of squad in a short space of time.

Appreciate its too late for play offs but last few matches will at least give the new boss a brief look at some of the squad.

Serious decisions need to be made.

Goalkeepers, 3 who have all played first team games.Is max good enough to eventually step up ,if so keep Nikki as number one cash in on Bentley.

Only full back who I think is promotion quality is a fit Dasilva.Others not good enough.

Williams, Bencovic to go . Kalas stay.

Decisions to be made on Vyner, TM and Baker.

Midfield is a minefield ,I'm not sure if any of the current matchday squad is promotion quality when you compare to what other top of table teams have.

Morrell, Walsh need to be tried or allowed to leave. Eliasson will be off I reckon. Has Corey still got the legs,could of been sent off yesterday. COD?? Watkins move on.

HNM could go either way for me next season, got the potential needs structured development.

Nagy back home I think.

Palmer needs to play so we can see if he can play over a sustained period.

Forwards probably most straight forward , I think Fam is good enough needs service and quality partner.

Are Wells, Weimann or Afobe promotion quality.

General consensus is that squad is good enough and that LJ has been the problem, I'm not so sure.

Would any of our squad get into the starting line ups of Leeds,WBA or Brentford?

Your thoughts on whether players are good enough.

The players are good enough, just need good leadership. We also need to fix a couple of holes but I don’t expect wholesale change in the squad in view of the wider challenges facing football this off-season. Not a good time to be offloading players if you want to get good value.

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I think the team needs to be built around Liam Walsh, Kalas, Dasilva & Palmer. 

With the right coach, that’s pretty formidable start to an eleven. 

id have maenpaaa in there ,he is the most reliable weve had for a while

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I think the team needs to be built around Liam Walsh, Kalas, Dasilva & Palmer. 

With the right coach, that’s pretty formidable start to an eleven. 

Agree to a point. But there's no doubt Kalas has been sub par this season, perhaps if taylor Moore can step back up to take the 'Webster role' (or we can find someone else) then we'll see him back to his best.

As for Palmer he needs be be more disciplined. No doubt his through balls can change games but he really needs to cut out silly errors in and around the half way line. 

Big year ahead for Liam Walsh, very gifted with ball distribution and could provide that creativity from the middle of the park that we've been lacking for some time. He would certainly need to be accompanied by a strong ball winner though. 

We may see Famara leave this summer, but I think given time Wells can be the goal scorer we need, will be an interesting summer. 

I think above all else we need stability in the starting 11, whoever it is.

29 minutes ago, barneyrubble said:

Whoever is fortunate enough to get the manager post is going to have to do some serious sorting of squad in a short space of time.

Appreciate its too late for play offs but last few matches will at least give the new boss a brief look at some of the squad.

Goalkeepers, 3 who have all played first team games.Is max good enough to eventually step up ,if so keep Nikki as number one cash in on Bentley.

Only full back who I think is promotion quality is a fit Dasilva.Others not good enough.

Midfield is a minefield ,I'm not sure if any of the current matchday squad is promotion quality when you compare to what other top of table teams have.

Morrell, Walsh need to be tried or allowed to leave. Eliasson will be off I reckon. Has Corey still got the legs,could of been sent off yesterday. COD?? Watkins move on.

HNM could go either way for me next season, got the potential needs structured development.

Nagy back home I think.

Forwards probably most straight forward , I think Fam is good enough needs service and quality partner.

General consensus is that squad is good enough and that LJ has been the problem, I'm not so sure.

Would any of our squad get into the starting line ups of Leeds,WBA or Brentford?

Some good points you make there. To play devils advocate though, the current Leeds squad is pretty much exactly the same squad that was mid table mediocrity until Bielsa came in. Within one preseason they were playing incredible football in the 'Bielsa ball' way and have hardly been out of the top 3 ever since. I know Bielsa is an absolute freak of a manager (in the best possible way) and it was an incredible piece of business getting him to manage in the championship by Leeds but for me it does show the impact a new manager can make.

Just now, JonDolman said:

I want to see O'leary, Moore, Morrell and Walsh get given a chance next season.

Kalas, Dasilva, Wells stay in the side.

Might have to be 352. And our lack of height may be a problem.

Might need to bring in a few bigger players as we look so weak on defending set pieces. And Fam may well be off which will make us even weaker.

Agree, that's the way I'd go too and agree height could be an issue against some teams. Again I use Leeds as an example though, almost certainly going to win the league this year but have very little height in the team and I think have one of the highest goals conceded by header percentages and lowest goals from headers stats in the league....

Gregor indicated there would be quite a cull in his piece yesterday . I don’t think any of the following will be with us next season personally :( inc loans ending obviously)  

Maenpaa, Baker, Benkovic, Vyner, Korey, Eliasson, O’Dowda, Afobe, Watkins, Morrell, Williams, Fammy . 

1 minute ago, Baldyman said:

Gregor indicated there would be quite a cull in his piece yesterday . I don’t think any of the following will be with us next season personally :( inc loans ending obviously)  

Maenpaa, Baker, Benkovic, Vyner, Korey, Eliasson, O’Dowda, Afobe, Watkins, Morrell, Williams, Fammy . 

I’m not sure I’d be more disappointed at Morrell being part of that list or Paterson not. 

itll be sad to lose Fammy, but i don’t blame him for wanting a fresh challenge. 

It really depends on which style of play the new manager wants , if it’s Pulis we can wave goodbye to Elliason, Walsh, Morrell, Massengo , Nagy and anyone else under six foot tall.

On the other hand a footballing coach will probably tell Baker , Williams, Smith, Diedhiou to start looking for a new gig .

The talent is there we just need the right man , with a vision, who can mould the squad into a decent team.

All depends on the formation played.

Goalkeeper is going to be Bentley for now, with Max as back up. Unfortunately Maenpaa is injury prone and although not old for a goalkeeper, has probably already reached the point where his fitness can’t be relied upon. 

Given the players at our disposal, one option that would make us stronger is to play 3-5-2, with Kalas, Baker and Moore at the back. One very good in the air, two with experience and one who can definitely bring the ball out of defence. Dasilva as a left wing back. Hunt is the obvious wing back in this system, but defensively has seemed suspect at best.

Midfield I would go with Nagy, Massengo or Walsh, and Palmer. Korey has probably had his time. Cover from Morrell, but we could do with a more muscular midfielder as well (Shame Henriksen didn’t stay).

Up front, it would be Afobe (if he stays) and Wells. Fam on the bench or instead of Afobe. Weimann as an alternative to Wells, same for Szmodics, who could replace Palmer if we went to 2 central midfielders.

Eliasson on the bench as an option, especially to provide crosses for Fam.

Which leaves us with what to do about CO’D. Not really a winger anymore and neither is he a good enough midfielder. Could he be converted into a right wing back?

Williams has played his last game for us, I would guess. Periera may be in the same position as his loan ends.

There is definitely the potential to make a good team from this lot. We have spent heavily in the past 12 months, (more than most other teams in this league) given the fees we got for Kelly and Webster last summer, so I don’t think there will be many new additions.

I would like to think the new man will look to build a team around some of our good young players, such as Moore, Dasliva, Palmer, Walsh.

Especially in midfield we seem to have a lot of players who are very much the same , so numbers ( and wage bill) can be trimmed giving scope to bring in the type of player we need e.g. physical, combative midfielder. to compliment players like HNM, Palmer and Walsh. Ideally an experienced player a la Hartley or Elliott.

The key will be to build a playing style that gets the best out of the players we already have, as I am convinced this was LJ's biggest failing over the last couple of seasons. Using the "clubs in the bag" analogy, LJ had all the clubs in the bag, but persisted in using a 9 iron off the tee, driver in the bunker and a lob wedge on the putting green.

12 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

All depends on the formation played.

Goalkeeper is going to be Bentley for now, with Max as back up. Unfortunately Maenpaa is injury prone and although not old for a goalkeeper, has probably already reached the point where his fitness can’t be relied upon. 

Given the players at our disposal, one option that would make us stronger is to play 3-5-2, with Kalas, Baker and Moore at the back. One very good in the air, two with experience and one who can definitely bring the ball out of defence. Dasilva as a left wing back. Hunt is the obvious wing back in this system, but defensively has seemed suspect at best.

Midfield I would go with Nagy, Massengo or Walsh, and Palmer. Korey has probably had his time. Cover from Morrell, but we could do with a more muscular midfielder as well (Shame Henriksen didn’t stay).

Up front, it would be Afobe (if he stays) and Wells. Fam on the bench or instead of Afobe. Weimann as an alternative to Wells, same for Szmodics, who could replace Palmer if we went to 2 central midfielders.

Eliasson on the bench as an option, especially to provide crosses for Fam.

Which leaves us with what to do about CO’D. Not really a winger anymore and neither is he a good enough midfielder. Could he be converted into a right wing back?

Williams has played his last game for us, I would guess. Periera may be in the same position as his loan ends.

There is definitely the potential to make a good team from this lot. We have spent heavily in the past 12 months, (more than most other teams in this league) given the fees we got for Kelly and Webster last summer, so I don’t think there will be many new additions.

This is exactly how I would set up too but as much as I would love Fam and Eliasson to be our plan B options from the bench I think both will be sold in the summer to 'cash in' on them. If we could use that money to sign Afobe and a top right wing back I'd actually be pretty happy with that. I'd certainly take that now.

17 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I would like to think the new man will look to build a team around some of our good young players, such as Moore, Dasliva, Palmer, Walsh.

Especially in midfield we seem to have a lot of players who are very much the same , so numbers ( and wage bill) can be trimmed giving scope to bring in the type of player we need e.g. physical, combative midfielder. to compliment players like HNM, Palmer and Walsh. Ideally an experienced player a la Hartley or Elliott.

The key will be to build a playing style that gets the best out of the players we already have, as I am convinced this was LJ's biggest failing over the last couple of seasons. Using the "clubs in the bag" analogy, LJ had all the clubs in the bag, but persisted in using a 9 iron off the tee, driver in the bunker and a lob wedge on the putting green.

Ha! Really well put and I agree completely! The 'clubs in the bag' analogy/Johnsonism is definitely the one that defines his time at the club for me and is one of the reasons I'm hesitant to put too much blame on Ashton for the overloading of our squad. It seemed to me from LJ interviews that he always seemed to want extra options (so presumably asked for them in the transfer market) when in reality our best spells under him were when he had limited options due to injury etc and we played a consistent side/style week in week out.

28 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m not sure I’d be more disappointed at Morrell being part of that list or Paterson not. 

itll be sad to lose Fammy, but i don’t blame him for wanting a fresh challenge. 

Not an anti LJ point but I honestly believe if he had stayed then Morrell would have moved on this summer.

He needs to be playing regularly with the Euros delayed for a year & I reckon he would be at another Championship side in the North next season if that had panned out...

Like everyone he will now have a fresh chance so may choose to stay to see what happens.

It’s all about opinion but I’m a Paterson fan, with Brownhill gone he is just about the only goal threat we have from our midfield/ wide players, so although he is inconsistent I would keep him & make a decision on which of Palmer or Szmodics goes (if possible) myself.

Players that should be got shot of:

paterson, watkins, o’dowda, adelakun, Weimann, Williams, hunt

players that will likely go:

eliasson, diedhiou 

players we should retain:

Pereira, benkovic, afobe, palmer, szmodics, semenyo, jonny Smith, Walsh, morrell, massengo, Nagy, dasilva, moore, kalas, bentley, Baker, Vyner, O’Leary, bakinson

I think we have to go 352.

Kalas, Baker, TM

New RWB, Nagy, Palmer, Walsh, Silva

Afobe, Wells

Maybe another new CB if we are playing 3 each game instead of 2 would be handy, but we also have Zak vyner to fit in there. I think we need a new RWB, someone who is used to playing RWB rather than RB. Possibly a more chunky CDM to cover for Nagy, if he even stays! I think our strikers are sorted with Benik, Wells, Wiemann. (I think fam will be gone this summer though sadly)

We have had quite a high turnover of players in recent years - personally id like the new man to have time with the current squad as i think its there or thereabouts. Maybe a few ins and outs but not wholesale changes as some of you seem to be suggesting. I think Fam and NE will be off to raise a few quid, and Wiiliams will leave. Be interesting to see what happens to Korey

On 05/07/2020 at 08:16, barneyrubble said:

Nagy back home I think.

I dont get how so many people rate DaSilva. LJ always said "he gives you more going forward". Well I haven't seen it for a long time. When he is one on one with a full back he rarely beats him, his crossing is poor and as a defender he does not do enough to stop crosses and every team puts a monster on his side so we are at risk on the far post.

Hope he will improve under a more positive manager

1 minute ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I dont get how so many people rate DaSilva. LJ always said "he gives you more going forward". Well I haven't seen it for a long time.

JD is another player that has gone backwards this year under LJ. There are other examples - Kalas is nowhere near the same player as last year. Bentley the same. Everywhere you look they have lost their way. A new coach will hopefully sort them out

Archived