IGNORED

Who do we NOT want

old_eastender

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yes we definitely don’t want a proven and experienced manager with two Championship promotions on his CV, perish the thought!

Ipswich, who he kept competitive on a shoestring budget?

Ipswich, who were relegated as soon as he left?

That Ipswich?

I just don’t rate him. Is that alright? 

The fact that Ipswich sunk without a trace after they got rid of Mick shows what a good job he did there. Anyone who thinks just because he didn’t get them promoted that he did a poor job is a joker - you only have to look at what he was working with. 

He is definitely worth at least speaking to. 

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Who's been sold under the nose of the manager? Do you honestly believe we were going to keep Webster, Bryan, Reid, Kelly or Brownhill after clear Premiership interest? These players were going regardless and MA got good returns for all of them. McCarthy understands the real world and list some of his better players at Ipswich. It's the way of football. 

No, I don’t think we were ever going to hold on to the players you name. But there is a general perception on the forum, with which I tend to agree, that recruitment and retention has often been largely out of the head coach’s hands. The best example I can offer is the sale, that nobody saw coming, on deadline day, of Marlon Pack. People on OTIB have only recently begun to acknowledge how much damage that I’ll-considered and opportunistic decision caused. The very strong impression given in media reports at the time was that the player didn’t really want to leave and the manager didn’t want to lose him, but somebody somewhere thought otherwise. Knowing Brownhill’s subsequent departure was almost inevitable, it ranks with letting Ayling go for a pittance in terms of sheer stupidity. That ripped the heart out of the midfield and quite a lot of the decline that followed can be traced back to that.

2 hours ago, RedEyez said:

The blokes past it . One word, Ipswich.

Strange. People don’t ordinarily use an example that completely undermines the point they’re trying to make. 

People from Gloucester make excellent Foster Parents. One word... West. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Brilliant, well thought out reply.

In his last season there they finished 12th, one place below us, despite Mick having just £150k (!) to spend. 

After he left in the next season they finished bottom, 13 points from safety. 

Marcus Evans stopped giving their managers any money after the likes of Paul Jewell spent absolute fortunes on ageing, injury prone crap (like Pulis did with us).

I wonder how Ipswich fans feel now, they lost at home to the Gas in December, that’s how far they have fallen post Mick.

His overall budget was nowhere near ours in 17/18 when he resigned in April 18....they finished one place lower.  I’m not saying we should appoint him, but there are some serious blinkers (and sheepskin nose bands!!) on from many on here as to what he’s achieved. @BS4 on Tour... you’ll like this

F3932629-06EC-4DB5-9215-9E220794526B.thumb.jpeg.4b7dd2317528f99581448d8cb51b2ff8.jpeg

DFE5A01A-BDAD-4121-8B27-DCEDA45F51BE.thumb.jpeg.52a9482dc40acafcf525fa29647db485.jpeg

Both clubs similar income / turnover (£17.1m), but then it diverges massively.

Item / City / Ipswich

Operational Costs (inc wages etc) - £41m / £24m (that’s £17m more LJ had)

Operating Loss - £16m / £8m 

Player Trading - £3.8m profit / £7.4m loss

He also has a good eye for a player too.

One manager not to dismiss too quickly.

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Strange. People don’t ordinarily use an example that completely undermines the point they’re trying to make. 

People from Gloucester make excellent Foster Parents. One word... West. 

Fair point, didn’t articulate myself well enough this morning after a few too many beers last night. In hindsight, was probably a poor example to use. But in my opinion , not the right man to push us to where we wanna be. I feel that if we appointed him then we would stagnate again. Maybe even worse. 

1 minute ago, CliftonCliff said:

No, I don’t think we were ever going to hold on to the players you name. But there is a general perception on the forum, with which I tend to agree, that recruitment and retention has often been largely out of the head coach’s hands. The best example I can offer is the sale, that nobody saw coming, on deadline day, of Marlon Pack. People on OTIB have only recently begun to acknowledge how much damage that I’ll-considered and opportunistic decision caused. The very strong impression given in media reports at the time was that the player didn’t really want to leave and the manager didn’t want to lose him, but somebody somewhere thought otherwise. Knowing Brownhill’s subsequent departure was almost inevitable, it ranks with letting Ayling go for a pittance in terms of sheer stupidity. That ripped the heart out of the midfield and quite a lot of the decline that followed can be traced back to that.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and the sale of Ayling now looks bad. However, I don't recall a great clamour at the time that is was nonsensical. In fact to many after his participation in events at Cheltenham it seemed inevitable. Ayling was a decent player at City but was often criticised on OTIB for his cavalier attitude which saw him caught upfield leaving us short at the back. He certainly wasn't the player he became at Leeds. 

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and the sale of Ayling now looks bad. However, I don't recall a great clamour at the time that is was nonsensical. In fact to many after his participation in events at Cheltenham it seemed inevitable. Ayling was a decent player at City but was often criticised on OTIB for his cavalier attitude which saw him caught upfield leaving us short at the back. He certainly wasn't the player he became at Leeds. 

Obviously he’s benefited from better coaching.

I asked my Ipswich supporting mate about McCarthy. His response was “He’d take you up as champions with your budget”

Did a good job at Ipswich under difficult circumstances - how good a job was illustrated by the debacle under Hurst. Also has the promotions from this level on the CV and international managerial experience (twice). And on that point, as was shown by Saipan, he’d not be scared to take on big players.

Definitely one to consider.

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

His overall budget was nowhere near ours in 17/18 when he resigned in April 18....they finished one place lower.  I’m not saying we should appoint him, but there are some serious blinkers (and sheepskin nose bands!!) on from many on here as to what he’s achieved. @BS4 on Tour... you’ll like this

F3932629-06EC-4DB5-9215-9E220794526B.thumb.jpeg.4b7dd2317528f99581448d8cb51b2ff8.jpeg

DFE5A01A-BDAD-4121-8B27-DCEDA45F51BE.thumb.jpeg.52a9482dc40acafcf525fa29647db485.jpeg

Both clubs similar income / turnover (£17.1m), but then it diverges massively.

Item / City / Ipswich

Operational Costs (inc wages etc) - £41m / £24m (that’s £17m more LJ had)

Operating Loss - £16m / £8m 

Player Trading - £3.8m profit / £7.4m loss

He also has a good eye for a player too.

One manager not to dismiss too quickly.

A lot to be said for Mick McCarthy the more I think about it. Vast experience, promotions to the PL, prepared to manage to constraints where necessary. Plus his right hand man is Terry Connor who could give him some City insight.

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Not much point in debating Ayling’s qualities at this point in time, and I can’t be arsed to wade through my posting history, so you’ll have to take my word for it, but I was dismayed by his departure at the time and my objections were not made in hindsight. The fact that he got criticised on OTIB means little. There’s hardly a player in club history who hasn’t been written off by the armchair experts on this forum. Similar story with Pack. People had been queuing up to slag him off  prior to his departure. A tiny minority of us said at the time that it was a mistake and, interestingly, more recently there have been further comments to that effect.

But that’s all a digression from the much more general point I was trying to make about the way in which the club, and recruitment in particular, is run. LJ was prepared to try to work within those constraints. Whether a Hughton or a McCarthy would accept it is open to doubt.

I think he'd be a very sensible choice, but I don't particularly 'want' Houghton as I don't think he'd be that exciting. I'm not sure why I think that really. I do think though that overall he'd be a successful choice and would be a step up from LJ - just doesn't make me feel particularly excited.

Can someone explain the Michael Appleton thing to me? 

I think there are far better appointments we could make but people seem to keep bringing him up in multiple threads as one of the worst possible appointments we could make and I'm not sure I fully understand

a) Why he'd be significantly worse than the majority of other League One or League Two managers

b) Why he's in the conversation more often than other League One or League Two managers.

Is it simply the Oxford link with Mark Ashton so people think he might be appointed or is there some historical bad blood or specific issue with Appleton and City that I've forgotten?

39 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Not much point in debating Ayling’s qualities at this point in time, and I can’t be arsed to wade through my posting history, so you’ll have to take my word for it, but I was dismayed by his departure at the time and my objections were not made in hindsight. The fact that he got criticised on OTIB means little. There’s hardly a player in club history who hasn’t been written off by the armchair experts on this forum. Similar story with Pack. People had been queuing up to slag him off  prior to his departure. A tiny minority of us said at the time that it was a mistake and, interestingly, more recently there have been further comments to that effect.

But that’s all a digression from the much more general point I was trying to make about the way in which the club, and recruitment in particular, is run. LJ was prepared to try to work within those constraints. Whether a Hughton or a McCarthy would accept it is open to doubt.

You might be right but then we don't know what constraints might be placed on a new manager as a condition of their employment. 

7 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Don't know if he's the right man or not but he certainly has my respect. He's as honest as the day is long, never passes up the hard questions and says it how it is. You won't get any newspeak from McCarthy. 

There was a time recently when would have not been happy with Mick.  However, I feel like I need an antidote to some of this modern football doublespeak.

Working with Ireland he had to get the best from the players he had.  I think he would get more from the current squad than LJ has. 

Just no one from the lower leagues.

We've done that, got the T shirt and been there. That old horse has been flogged to death, isn't working and is a false economy.

Try some quality for a change.

8 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Dean Saunders , Darrell Clark, Gareth Southgate , Coaches who were players of repute but think they can just parachute into a club and be great because they were good players . ( Dean Saunders again ) without having any particular coaching merits .

Mourinho, Wenger, McMenemy, not players of any real merit. 

Archived