IGNORED

Who do we NOT want

old_eastender

7 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

to be honest,id never heard of him until he went there. he can do it though so with hindsight,yes.  

But you don't have hindsight, IMO we should have the same approach to managers as players - we want the next Farke not the current one. We want someone with something to prove. 

9 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Important we get a new manager who can unite the club and the fanbase, from those that are showing odds these would be the ones I would NOT want:

1. By far and away top of the NOT list has to be Tony Pulis.

2. Next on the list for me would be Mark Hughes.

3. Dean Holden and/or Jamie McAllister - for me they have been part of the problem, should not be seen as part of the solution!

4. Michael Appleton

The only possible explanation, if we ended up with Pulis, would be the Lansdown's idea of a joke to get their own back for the social media pressure they've been under the past few weeks.

OK, OK, you get your way, we'll get rid of Lee......lets just see how much you like who you get instead! 

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Can someone explain the Michael Appleton thing to me? 

I think there are far better appointments we could make but people seem to keep bringing him up in multiple threads as one of the worst possible appointments we could make and I'm not sure I fully understand

a) Why he'd be significantly worse than the majority of other League One or League Two managers

b) Why he's in the conversation more often than other League One or League Two managers.

Is it simply the Oxford link with Mark Ashton so people think he might be appointed or is there some historical bad blood or specific issue with Appleton and City that I've forgotten?

The Ashton connection at the time, and his previous clubs prior to Oxford were not well thought of.

1 hour ago, RedSkin said:

There was a time recently when would have not been happy with Mick.  However, I feel like I need an antidote to some of this modern football doublespeak.

Working with Ireland he had to get the best from the players he had.  I think he would get more from the current squad than LJ has. 

Yeah, at this early stage I'm in this club, too, though I may yet change my mind. I think of him as someone of integrity, tells it like it is. He's been around long enough and is secure enough in his standing in the game not to feel the need to kiss the arse of a rich owner in order to protect his own job security. This is one reason why he probably won't be appointed or, if he is, may not last long.

SL, as extremely wealthy, successful men go, seems not excessively narcissistic or self-important, but even so, these sorts of guys are not over-fond of being told stuff they don't want to hear. Slick corporate types like Ashton may not react terribly well to big Mick's blunt straightforwardness and it most likely wouldn't go down a storm in Guernsey, either. Pity. A bit of old-school arse-kicking wouldn't go amiss, if you ask me. 

9 hours ago, City oz said:

I mentioned Sam as an option a few hours ago. He would be ideal. He has so much experience at all levels.

I would have liked Sam Allardyce a few years ago but he unofficially announced his retirement a couple of years ago. He was offered the Newcastle job in July 2019 but turned it down. It’s unlikely he would want to come to City if he’s happy in retirement 

3 hours ago, RedSkin said:

There was a time recently when would have not been happy with Mick.  However, I feel like I need an antidote to some of this modern football doublespeak.

Working with Ireland he had to get the best from the players he had.  I think he would get more from the current squad than LJ has. 

Yes, if nothing else, Mick's tendency to call a spade, a spade, where Lee will call it any thing other than a spade, then add "if you like" followed by a giggle, will be welcome. 

Archived