IGNORED

Why it has to be an experienced, proven manager

Kid in the Riot

Just driving past the two storey framed structure of the new training ground building at Failand this morning you realise that SL won't be leaving the next managerial appointment to chance.

The new training facility which will also house the u-23s is a multi-million pound development that will be ready in around 9 months. There is absolutely no way he has invested this kind of off-field money to employ a novice, or someone of limited experience, to run. 

Bristol City is now a sizeable club and a sizeable project that requires a manager with plenty of experience at Championship and Premier League level. You can rule out the likes of Ryan Lowe and even the Paul Cook's of this world.

We need a manager who has achieved what we want to achieve, and has been where we want to be. 

The timing is good. Within two weeks umpteen clubs will have parted company with their managers as the season draws to a close, and we have a head start on all of them. 

The timing is interesting. SL was under no real pressure to fire LJ now. At the end of the season, maybe. But to have done it now, with no threat of relegation and only four games into the restart suggests we are going to act fast.

With a quick turnaround before next season starts (possibly end of September) the rest of this season could be treated as a mini pre-season. There is little merit in letting Holden continue for the next five games. 

Getting our man in quickly and letting him assess the squad will give us an advantage over rivals who will be scrabbling around for a new manager in a matter of 2-3 weeks.

The squad is now a well-paid one with numerous multi-million pound signings. Again, you don't go after a manager with only L1/L2 experience to manage these types of players. Someone who will command the full respect of the senior players is required. Someone experienced. Someone proven.

SL has seen first-hand what a manager/coach with these credentials is capable of at Bristol Bears; and he likes what he sees. 

Bristol City won't be able to attract a Pat Lam equivalent, he is one of the highest paid coaches in world rugby and the highest paid in the Premiership. But the success he is delivering, and the best is surely still to come, cannot be lost on SL.

We are a different beast to the club that LJ took over 4.5 years ago and a man for the occasion is needed. SL has got the timing right, has the infrastructure right, and now needs to be bold and go and get the right man for the job.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just driving past the two storey framed structure of the new training ground building at Failand this morning you realise that SL won't be leaving the next managerial appointment to chance.

The new training facility which will also house the u-23s is a multi-million pound development that will be ready in around 9 months. There is absolutely no way he has invested this kind of off-field money to employ a novice, or someone of limited experience, to run. 

Bristol City is now a sizeable club and a sizeable project that requires a manager with plenty of experience at Championship and Premier League level. You can rule out the likes of Ryan Lowe and even the Paul Cook's of this world.

We need a manager who has achieved what we want to achieve, and has been where we want to be. 

The timing is good. Within two weeks umpteen clubs will have parted company with their managers as the season draws to a close, and we have a head start on all of them. 

The timing is interesting. SL was under no real pressure to fire LJ now. At the end of the season, maybe. But to have done it now, with no threat of relegation and only four games into the restart suggests we are going to act fast.

With a quick turnaround before next season starts (possibly end of September) the rest of this season could be treated as a mini pre-season. There is little merit in letting Holden continue for the next five games. 

Getting our man in quickly and letting him assess the squad will give us an advantage over rivals who will be scrabbling around for a new manager in a matter of 2-3 weeks.

The squad is now a well-paid one with numerous multi-million pound signings. Again, you don't go after a manager with only L1/L2 experience to manage these types of players. Someone who will command the full respect of the senior players is required. Someone experienced. Someone proven.

SL has seen first-hand what a manager/coach with these credentials is capable of at Bristol Bears; and he likes what he sees. 

Bristol City won't be able to attract a Pat Lam equivalent, he is one of the highest paid coaches in world rugby and the highest paid in the Premiership. But the success he is delivering, and the best is surely still to come, cannot be lost on SL.

We are a different beast to the club that LJ took over 4.5 years ago and a man for the occasion is needed. SL has got the timing right, has the infrastructure right, and now needs to be bold and go and get the right man for the job.

Would such a man stand for an inferior making recruitment choices though? I get the impression that some signings were imposed upon the coach. 

I agree to some extent, but it will need to be someone who is still prepared to stay within the structure put in place. I can’t see SL removing or changing Ashton’s role for example, no matter what people think of him, he has made   some good deals in the transfer market. He will also want the new manager to look into the club for players first, I am sure he will want to see the academy investment pay off.

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Who’s your money on KITR?? 

He still seems burned by the Coppell experience in my opinion, won’t be getting my hopes up for a manager who has been there and done it. Expect someone like Ryan Lowe (would be a bit mental though as he has never had a season in League 1). We did 100% need a change however.

Well said. I couldn’t get my head around signing an inexperienced/Up & coming manager at this level to manage players at the level we seem to be aiming for.

Really hope the Rugby experience inspires SL to aim as high as we can afford to.

Agree that we need a manager who suits the clubs ambitions now.

It is a top point that regardless what you think of LJ’s stewardship of the playing side, compared to when he arrived we are now absolutely a club with the potential to aim for promotion, so we need a manager who reflects that - I’m unconvinced someone taking their first shot at this division would be wise; an experienced hand is required.

I firmly believe that we have the core of a competitive squad; one or two additions and the guild to have them competing in every game is the aim now.

19 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Yes, having tried a manager/hc who hadn't achieved what we want to achieve, or been where we want to be, I agree it is worth trying the polar opposite to Lee now, see how that goes.

I don’t agree, this is the equivalent of watching a team that starts the game brightly but is being thwarted by a goalkeeper in form or not taking their chances, then changing their approach that was creating chances.

Lee got us close, you could say that we were partly thwarted by the parachute payments among other things, but we are not so bad we need to change the whole set up. We just need a fresh eye to see the finer details.  

43 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I agree re experience - of promotion to the PL. I do wonder if the timing points to Hughton (if we are not prepared to wait to see who is available at the end of the season). 

Definitely go for an experienced one. I think it's obvious that Johnson had a problem managing the higher profile players. I think it's because those players came and quickly realised the amount of BS that came out of his mouth after having worked under better more experienced managers in their careers. 

I agree with 99% of what you have written.

A football Pat Lam is my description, who will not only demand respect from the senior players but also earn their respect.

A Manager or Head Coach who will keep discipline in the dressing room, training ground and in matches, yet who will never publicly criticise any of his players.

One who will have uncomplicated Plans A, B, C etc in place that every player understands. Football is a simple game that does not require a one year assimilation for new recruits.

And above all, try to play entertaining football whenever possible.

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I don’t agree, this is the equivalent of watching a team that starts the game brightly but is being thwarted by a goalkeeper in form or not taking their chances, then changing their approach that was creating chances.

Lee got us close, you could say that we were partly thwarted by the parachute payments among other things, but we are not so bad we need to change the whole set up. We just need a fresh eye to see the finer details.  

You could well be right, I'm glad I am not making this decision. 

@Kid in the Riot Good post.

You would like to think so.

However I worry about Ashton’s influence & the disastrous Coppell spell and what impact that may have,

I have a feeling it might be Lowe & of course would give him every chance (he is the closest to another GJ out there) but do think with McCarthy and Hughton both available can look to bring someone in who has a decent reputation within the game.

52 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Bravo spot on

36 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

He still seems burned by the Coppell experience in my opinion, won’t be getting my hopes up for a manager who has been there and done it. Expect someone like Ryan Lowe (would be a bit mental though as he has never had a season in League 1). We did 100% need a change however.

That was 10 years ago, where has SL given any indication he’s still scarred by this?

50 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Top post Kid, you've won me round, it's all pointing to experience and a relatively big name. So most likely Hughton or McCarthy then?

Hughton would have worked under a similar backroom structure to ours (i.e. Ashton) under Brighton I would have thought? Which would further stand him out. Has McCarthy worked under similar at any of the clubs he's managed?

As others have said I can't see Ashton going anywhere and rightly so imo. He's been a key part in professionalising the club over the past few years and some of the financial aspects of the transfer dealings he's managed to pull off have been nothing short of brilliant I'd argue.

If SL is going to make a significant shift away from the mediocre, unqualified, it has to be a Premiership quality top foreign coach with his own specialist coaching team. Such a Head coach and his chosen staff would have the ideas, expertise and player contacts to take us to where SL says he wants us to be.

Will SL have the guts to surrender significant control and let go of his football team as he has with his rugby team?????????

This is the biggee

1 minute ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

That was 10 years ago, where has SL given any indication he’s still scarred by this?

Our managers post Coppell have been Millen, McInnes, O’Driscoll, Cotts & LJ.

None of whom with the greatest respect come with the sort of background that Coppell had.

5 appointments would suggest we have steered clear of a big name, maybe it will change this time.

I wonder if Eddie Howe might be up for a new challenge - he's probably taken Bournemouth as far as he can, looks like they'll be in the Championship next season too.

I know he's probably more likely to get a job at say West Ham but if we put the right package together surely it'd be worth a try.

3 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

This is going to be so left field, but I'd like to see someone like Ralf Rangnick.

Really hope you mean someone with a similar style to, because I’m pretty sure ralf is off to/has joined ac Milan on 94,000 a week

5 minutes ago, Redstart said:

I wonder if Eddie Howe might be up for a new challenge - he's probably taken Bournemouth as far as he can, looks like they'll be in the Championship next season too.

I know he's probably more likely to get a job at say West Ham but if we put the right package together surely it'd be worth a try.

No thanks - Blokes an absolute fraud, same faults as LJ - can’t handle any ego or higher profile players 

49 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Really great post.  

I expected LJ to at least last the season, so the fact SL has acted now would suggest there’s an advantage in acting quickly.  It’s tempting to think we’re in for someone who isn’t already attached to a club, or with a club who’s season is already finished and we want to make an approach before the rush starts.  Would be tempting to think Chris Hughton, but could be Mark Robins of course ?   Nothing against Robins and he’s got a lot going for him as he’s well into player development apparently and the Coventry fans can’t praise him enough.  He’s still only really proved himself in lower leagues, but has advantages over LJ, as he has promotions under his belt.

As you say with the training ground, we are now moving up another level and while SL would have hoped LJ was the man to vontinue his project, you would very much doubt he’d risk another punt on another up and coming manager like LJ at this poinr, but who knows with SL?

Really hope we go for the best we possibly can this time and find out what this squad is really capable of under the right management.

Archived