IGNORED

Why it has to be an experienced, proven manager

Kid in the Riot

Experienced managers tend to set up and organise sides better than novice managers. 

I think most agree we have fairly decent squad of players and if we are a bit more compact and well organised we would probably make the play offs. 

Who ever the candidates are I hope they are also looked at on who they could possibly recruit ie we are in dire need of leadership qualities on the pitch in a couple of areas when other players go off message they can correct that when the players cross that white line.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Lots of good posts on various threads since 6pm last night.

I’m keeping a very open mind.  I have a small list of managers I like that “I” think are realistic, but most of us have no idea what “realistic” is.

The one thing I keep coming back to is that this appointment will be telling.

I don’t want it to feel that it’s the safe option, the cheap option, a mate of MA or SL, someone who’ll divide the fan base, whilst accepting it won’t be unanimous.

I want it to be an astute signing, clearly defined, that as fans we think “they’ve done their due diligence on this one”.

I want to feel that he (or she) has structure, a way of playing, the ability to get the best out of players, whether they are youngsters coming through the pathway or an experienced pro, a good recruitment record.

I want them to be 100% bought into the structure of the club, and the club may have to budge a bit too to get the right man.  I want everyone to be joined up in essence.

I don’t think that is asking that much.  But we will see when they walk through the door.

We are a well established club at this level with a much improving (not perfect) football business nous.  We should be able to make good appointments!

She? Really? 

I'm confident we'll get some big cheese in. Why would you sack LJ who would guarantee us medicore to then bring in someone medicore? It would be hypocritical to not bring someone in with prem/playoff experience, or else why sack LJ ?‍♂️

55 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Ashton will have very little say in the new boss. He had no say in LJ going yesterday. 

Wow! Tell us more - how do you know this?

If this is true that’s astonishing.

It might also mean his judgement is not as highly valued as some assume

Just now, Red Alert said:

Wow! Tell us more - how do you know this?

If this is true that’s astonishing.

It might also mean his judgement is not as highly valued as some assume

Doesn’t undervalue his judgement but, As above, why would the owner of a club need to consult with someone below him/someone he pays the wages for to make decisions? 

I would have little interest in Mick McCarthy but Hughton or Jokanovic would be interesting. Dean Smith would be my choice, but unless we do wait until the off season when he possibly gets sacked, I see the timing of LJs sacking to mean it’s not him. Other than that the list of managers including McCarthy/Robins etc is rather uninspiring and I would lean towards an overseas appointment.

46 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Ever heard of the phrase “in my opinion”? Clearly i stated this in my post. The managers he appointee afterwards were hardly of the calibre of Coppell and he has harped back to this stage of the clubs history many times....

Yes I have smart arse just asking why you think that really, what’s your opinion based on?

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Great post. Agree with that.

I was coming round to the idea of a Lowe or a Cook based on write ups on here, but what you say makes total sense.

Any ideas for names you’d like to see us go for based on your parameters?

I’d really like Karanka, although not on the shortlist. Great manager and gets the best out of the likes of Palmer etc.

26 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Joka, Hughton or Mick... Although the latter would be out of the left field we may have to limit spending and he did superbly at Ipswich in those circumstances.

Joka would be a lot better fit over the other two for me. Can't see SL going for the latter 2. 

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Doesn’t undervalue his judgement but, As above, why would the owner of a club need to consult with someone below him/someone he pays the wages for to make decisions? 

So it’s not quite fact, more opinion?

In any corporate structure the shareholders or chairman rarely fire senior management without the CEOs approval. If that happens you see the CEO going same way out the door.

Break clause won’t be in an employment contract unless it was a commercial agreement- but it could well have definitions on notice periods based on achieving set goals.

It would contain a defined compensation scheme in the event of early termination so I would not expect it’s full pay for 3 years.

43 minutes ago, Jacki said:

Great post Kid.

The more I think of it the more I think everything points to Hughton. He’s worked in a similar structure and had success at a very similar club at Brighton and he knows this division inside out.

We have a decent (if bloated) squad of players, great infrastructure and fantastic stadium so I can see why he’d be up for it. Style of play is a slight concern but if he takes us to the next level I think we’d all live with that. 

The other important point to note is that I believe there are very good board level relationships between us and Brighton, stemming from the stadium plan at Ashton Vale. Reason I mention that is because although Hughtons not at Brighton anymore, SL/MA will be able to get solid feedback on him as an individual, what he wants and expects and whether he’d fit in. 

16 minutes ago, petehinton said:

As Lee reports into Ashton, why would you suggest it was SL that pulled to plug over Ashton’s head.  Not saying it didn’t happen, but is this sourced or just your view?  Ashton (rightly so) made the announcement.

11 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

So it’s not quite fact, more opinion?

In any corporate structure the shareholders or chairman rarely fire senior management without the CEOs approval. If that happens you see the CEO going same way out the door.

Tend to agree.

8 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Excellent point.  As timely as Eliasson and Palmer's injuries..

Said similar yesterday, that I think 01.07 was a key date for Eliasson...think a deal is in progress with the window open, and all parties don’t want to risk an injury.  I’m not convinced KP is injured.  We shall see.

7 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

Break clause won’t be in an employment contract unless it was a commercial agreement- but it could well have definitions on notice periods based on achieving set goals.

It would contain a defined compensation scheme in the event of early termination so I would not expect it’s full pay for 3 years.

Obviously I’m guessing but I’d be surprised if he got a payoff of anything more than 12 months pay....and that is likely to be stopped if he gets a job elsewhere.  I can’t believe we will pay up his remaining contract.

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The other important point to note is that I believe there are very good board level relationships between us and Brighton, stemming from the stadium plan at Ashton Vale. Reason I mention that is because although Hughtons not at Brighton anymore, SL/MA will be able to get solid feedback on him as an individual, what he wants and expects and whether he’d fit in. 

Remember that, as I went to that planning meeting.  Not sure if it was their owner or chaiman, but he was so supportive of our bid to to get AV approved and he spoke passionately about all the benefits and urged the Council to support City’s bid.  

He came across brilliantly, and if he made the effort to come over to us for the meeting, he seems the sort of person who could be really worth talking to

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

So realistically, that narrows it down to Hughton or McCarthy.

No, that discounts them. They may get us out of Championship but what then? Steve needs to appoint someone who not only can get us up but can push us on in Premiership....exactly what Wolves have done. We will have world class facilities.....let's appoint a world class manager. 

Find the snobbery surrounding McCarthy surprising tbh. 

His Wolves team played good football, two wingers, strikers scoring for fun. 

Ipswich had little funds, he still had them in the play offs & towards the end the football got attritional as a means to keep them in the division. 

I’d certainly take him here. 

4 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

No, that discounts them. They may get us out of Championship but what then? Steve needs to appoint someone who not only can get us up but can push us on in Premiership....exactly what Wolves have done. We will have world class facilities.....let's appoint a world class manager. 

Do you honestly think we have World Class facilities, we’ve come a long way but to call it world class is laughable 

1 minute ago, glen humphries said:

Do you honestly think we have World Class facilities, we’ve come a long way but to call it world class is laughable 

I remember in the 1980s it was obligatory for the likes of Steve Johnson, Tony Caldwell et al to describe BCFC as a “First Division setup” on signing. I assume this is the modern equivalent 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Our managers post Coppell have been Millen, McInnes, O’Driscoll, Cotts & LJ.

None of whom with the greatest respect come with the sort of background that Coppell had.

5 appointments would suggest we have steered clear of a big name, maybe it will change this time.

It seems to me that the key attribute needed would be the ability to manage upwards effectively.  To ensure that others in the organisation just get on with their jobs quietly and that he is in charge of the major decisions.  KITR is right that we aren't going to get a world class manager but someone with enough nous to deal with our particular situation is a must.  LJ clearly lacked the experience, Cotts was too abrasive and was undermined.

The lesson to be learned from the Coppell debacle is not to chase someone too hard.  They need to want to be here. If they are still afraid of a 'big name' 10 years later than that is embarrassing.  

28 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Find the snobbery surrounding McCarthy surprising tbh. 

His Wolves team played good football, two wingers, strikers scoring for fun. 

Ipswich had little funds, he still had them in the play offs & towards the end the football got attritional as a means to keep them in the division. 

I’d certainly take him here. 

Got Sunderland promoted too playing good football. 

Archived