IGNORED

Why it has to be an experienced, proven manager

Kid in the Riot

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Think he steered them towards the playoffs.

I don't remember his Millwall team but I do remember his Wolves side especially and there was some good stuff, with wing play.

He ticks a lot of boxes for sure but I have one or two tactical queries.

His Millwall team was going places:

Kasey Keller the American in goal

Ben Thatcher and Kenny Cunningham alongside good pros like Keith Stevens and Alan McLeary (did he come here on loan).

Alex Rae in midfield, with a young Mark Kennedy (off to Liverpool) breaking through. Jason van Blerk, an Aussie.

Up top he had Jon Goodman who went to Wimbledon who I thought was bloody ace, but had to retire young through injury.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

His Millwall team was going places:

Kasey Keller the American in goal

Ben Thatcher and Kenny Cunningham alongside good pros like Keith Stevens and Alan McLeary (did he come here on loan).

Alex Rae in midfield, with a young Mark Kennedy (off to Liverpool) breaking through. Jason van Blerk, an Aussie.

Up top he had Jon Goodman who went to Wimbledon who I thought was bloody ace, but had to retire young through injury.

I had a season ticket for Wimbledon as a kid.....2 things I remember, it was £50 for prem football for the season.....and David Ginola (spurs) absolutely butchering Ben Thatcher for 90 mins.

53 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't quite follow this post. Unless I'm misreading it or the message.

Klopp was a highly respected and successful manager who had rescued Borussia Dortmund from the doldrums, restoring them to a high level in the national game- two titles- and string in Europe, CL final and competitive in the latter in subsequent years.

Point is, he was never some unknown when linked with Liverpool.

Hi Mr P,

Yes and no re you misunderstanding it. 

My point was how many Liverpool and other knowledgeable footy fans would've known about him prior to his appointment? You obviously did hence a very good and brief biography on Mr Klopp. He wasn't unknown to those in the know.

However, I wouldn't mind betting that your average Liverpool fan would've known who he was before the press started speculating and caught wind of the now very successful manager.

How many die-hard Otibers knew of Chris Hughton's pedigree prior to reading a link provided by the Major on another thread? I didn't for one. Some can't even spell Chris' surname correctly!

How many knew about Paul Cook being the former Sex Pistols drummer? OK, wrong Paul Cook but that hopefully proves my point. There will always be a few who know but the general bog standard fan won't and that's where Mark Ashton and the Lansdowns will hopefully know more about what type of 'gaffer' they want and which European League, or further afield, he's currently in. There will always be a Pat Lam out there and there will be a few on Otib who know who he is. But to thickos like me who only follow Bristol City, I haven't a clue....unless he was a band member from the 70s! BTW, Steve Jones played guitar for the Sex Pistols before becoming our centre forward with a great sun tan!

Thanks Mr P for qualifying my post. Appreciated.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't quite follow this post. Unless I'm misreading it or the message.

Klopp was a highly respected and successful manager who had rescued Borussia Dortmund from the doldrums, restoring them to a high level in the national game- two titles- and string in Europe, CL final and competitive in the latter in subsequent years.

Point is, he was never some unknown when linked with Liverpool.

He also turned down Man Utd before agreeing to speak to liverpool 

10 hours ago, redpole said:

Available British Experienced Managers available are the following:

Sam Allardyce, Nigel Adkins, Steve McClaren, Alan Pardew, Nigel Clough, Chris Hughton and Mick McCarthy. 

Not the greatest list of available experienced managers.

But 2 of them managed England so they must have been doing ok at sometime. Its all about the right club at the right time eg Mclaren at Middlesbrough, Sam at Bolton. Anyone of that lot could come in, get us promoted with our squad and be a hero, or struggle like LJ. The only person who guarantees success is Guardiola and even he'd struggle with some of our squad 

Sam Allardyce, Nigel Adkins, Steve McClaren, Alan Pardew, Nigel Clough, Chris Hughton and Mick McCarthy. 

But 2 of them managed England so they must have been doing ok at sometime. Its all about the right club at the right time eg Mclaren at Middlesbrough, Sam at Bolton. Anyone of that lot could come in, get us promoted with our squad and be a hero, or struggle like LJ. The only person who guarantees success is Guardiola and even he'd struggle with some of our squad 

The club first and foremost need to decide what it is they want to achieve as a footballing philosophy. Every 5 years or so we hear that the Academy and pathway to first team is a core value. It has not been in the last years, there is no connect between the youth football and first team and how they play. They also  need to completely revamp the recruitment process so that it matches that philosophy and also substantially improve the people involved in that process. We are nowhere near as good as people are led to believe in both of these areas, yet the potential to be far better is evident. The club also needs to have more people that have experiences of higher grade football. You cannot have all of the off field staff coming from lower leagues with no concept on how Premiership clubs/coaches/players/scouting operate. The club has moved on  in many areas, but it was starting at a low point. There is still much work to be done, and no one should assume that simply changing LJ is sufficient change. The next appointment has to raise the level. The person must have clarity of vision, and the strength of character to drive the required change throughout the club. That will take time, but is required. The squad is bloated, unbalanced and missing key positions. Money spent in the wrong areas . But there are some good players too . Some of the names mentioned simply will not deliver what is required. There are no cheap options ..  A proper director of football and recruitment should also be high on the priority list.  

Less BS and more fact needed. Key decision time, but who is doing the advising, screening and due diligence for SL ? 

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well, define never "done it".

No he hadn't managed in the Championship before but he had managed, with a reasonable degree of success big clubs such as Valencia and Porto. 4th in La Liga, and Porto will always be high in their League but CL experience too.

You factor in the Mendes aspect over there too. Yes he's a fine manager but they are a package, those two- Mendes and Nuno.

Because the statement was " someone who has done what we want to do and got where we want to be" As far as I'm aware we dont ever want to reach the Spanish top division.

6 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Hi Mr P,

Yes and no re you misunderstanding it. 

My point was how many Liverpool and other knowledgeable footy fans would've known about him prior to his appointment? You obviously did hence a very good and brief biography on Mr Klopp. He wasn't unknown to those in the know.

However, I wouldn't mind betting that your average Liverpool fan would've known who he was before the press started speculating and caught wind of the now very successful manager.

How many die-hard Otibers knew of Chris Hughton's pedigree prior to reading a link provided by the Major on another thread? I didn't for one. Some can't even spell Chris' surname correctly!

How many knew about Paul Cook being the former Sex Pistols drummer? OK, wrong Paul Cook but that hopefully proves my point. There will always be a few who know but the general bog standard fan won't and that's where Mark Ashton and the Lansdowns will hopefully know more about what type of 'gaffer' they want and which European League, or further afield, he's currently in. There will always be a Pat Lam out there and there will be a few on Otib who know who he is. But to thickos like me who only follow Bristol City, I haven't a clue....unless he was a band member from the 70s! BTW, Steve Jones played guitar for the Sex Pistols before becoming our centre forward with a great sun tan!

Thanks Mr P for qualifying my post. Appreciated.

?? Klopp was one of the biggest names in world football management when he joined Liverpool. He’s since enhanced that reputation. He absolutely wasn’t some left-field choice.

3 hours ago, harvey54 said:

Computers hate me 

1 hour ago, Psychopomp said:

The club first and foremost need to decide what it is they want to achieve as a footballing philosophy. Every 5 years or so we hear that the Academy and pathway to first team is a core value. It has not been in the last years, there is no connect between the youth football and first team and how they play. They also  need to completely revamp the recruitment process so that it matches that philosophy and also substantially improve the people involved in that process. We are nowhere near as good as people are led to believe in both of these areas, yet the potential to be far better is evident. The club also needs to have more people that have experiences of higher grade football. You cannot have all of the off field staff coming from lower leagues with no concept on how Premiership clubs/coaches/players/scouting operate. The club has moved on  in many areas, but it was starting at a low point. There is still much work to be done, and no one should assume that simply changing LJ is sufficient change. The next appointment has to raise the level. The person must have clarity of vision, and the strength of character to drive the required change throughout the club. That will take time, but is required. The squad is bloated, unbalanced and missing key positions. Money spent in the wrong areas . But there are some good players too . Some of the names mentioned simply will not deliver what is required. There are no cheap options ..  A proper director of football and recruitment should also be high on the priority list.  

Less BS and more fact needed. Key decision time, but who is doing the advising, screening and due diligence for SL ? 

Top post 

If you want a left field appointment get on the phone and ask Xavi if he wants to try his hand at managing a club in Europe before Barca. Not quite sure we can afford to pay as much as he gets in Qatar at the moment though! ?

Archived