IGNORED

Last Gig before Lockdown

Markman

Just caught something on this on 5 Live I think - what was your last gig and has it kept you going? For me it was the Groundhogs at The Thekla  with "Stray" - an absolute knock out gig with the brilliant Ken Pustelnik on Drums for the Groundhogs - it was brilliant and so glad I went - just about keeping me going

Cannot find any footage of the Thekla gig but this was from a week or so before:-

Testament, Exodus and Death Angel at the O2 - evening of top thrash....needed to take the next day off work though!!! (bit longer to get over it at my advancing years). 

Gigs that I've "missed" during Lockdown - Nordic Giants, Meute, Millie Manders, George Clinton and gutted that ArcTanGent festival is off this year but on the flipside I have them all to look forward to in the future.

4 minutes ago, Genghis Khan's pants said:

Testament, Exodus and Death Angel at the O2 - evening of top thrash....needed to take the next day off work though!!! (bit longer to get over it at my advancing years). 

Gigs that I've "missed" during Lockdown - Nordic Giants, Meute, Millie Manders, George Clinton and gutted that ArcTanGent festival is off this year but on the flipside I have them all to look forward to in the future.

Gigs and stand-up I have already missed: Wolfgang Flur, Clone Roses, Jesus And Mary Chain, Ed Byrne, Jimmy Carr, Stewart Lee and Alexei Sayle. And had cancelled: Victorious festival and 2 New Order Shows. To be confirmed: Shiiine Festival, Rifles and Chameleons. I don't expect any of those 3 to go ahead.

I miss live music way more than I miss live football.

Last gigs I went to were kate tempest and Hot chip on two consecutive days at the academy last October 

have had caribou and belle & Sebastián (+ django django support), cancelled since then , and glastonbury :(

have got tickets for sports team and Fontaine’s DC lined up for next year. 
B&S has been rescheduled now for 2021 but without django django

11 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Gigs and stand-up I have already missed: Wolfgang Flur, Clone Roses, Jesus And Mary Chain, Ed Byrne, Jimmy Carr, Stewart Lee and Alexei Sayle. And had cancelled: Victorious festival and 2 New Order Shows. To be confirmed: Shiiine Festival, Rifles and Chameleons. I don't expect any of those 3 to go ahead.

I miss live music way more than I miss live football.

Just remembered also had both The Streets and Haçienda Classical postponed to 2021.

5 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Just remembered also had both The Streets and Haçienda Classical postponed to 2021.

wow - that's a lot to miss (inc your first post) - I have missed VDGG, Carl Palmer, Tom Robinson, Peter Hook doing Joy Division - few other smaller local gigs - missing it really

3 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

You have jogged my memory again: also had Peter Hook postponed to next year.

Indeed - January in London now - sigh not the same as May (The The - never saw them wish I had)

I had Elvis Costello cancelled on the weekend before lockdown (he had to self isolate), I also missed out on Nick Cave in Cardiff and Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott in the dockside concerts. I hadn't been to a gig so far this year, so was pretty gutted. My last gig was Steely Dan supported by Steve Winwood back last year.

Last one I caught in Bristol was Jam Baxter at Thekla. 12 hours on a coach to and from Southampton via London Victoria (because I'm an impoverished student). Absolutely quality, but could've done without the pinging hangover on the coach home with a screaming baby mind.

Right before lockdown, end of Feb/early March I was fortunate enough to go to the Great British Alternative Music Festival at Butlins Minehead. 

Old and young punks, mods, rude boys having a blast and enjoying the craic just in time. Line up included The Undertones, Boomtown Rats, From The Jam, Big Country, The Chords, The Adicts, The Wildhearts, Glen Matlock & Band (featuring Earl Slick), Nine Below Zero, Angelic Upstarts, The Blockheads, Secret Affair, The Rezillos, Hung Like Hanratty, Goldblade, The Hot Rods, The Stiffs, The Members and Jeramiah Ferrari.

2 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Right before lockdown, end of Feb/early March I was fortunate enough to go to the Great British Alternative Music Festival at Butlins Minehead. 

Old and young punks, mods, rude boys having a blast and enjoying the craic just in time. Line up included The Undertones, Boomtown Rats, From The Jam, Big Country, The Chords, The Adicts, The Wildhearts, Glen Matlock & Band (featuring Earl Slick), Nine Below Zero, Angelic Upstarts, The Blockheads, Secret Affair, The Rezillos, Hung Like Hanratty, Goldblade, The Hot Rods, The Stiffs, The Members and Jeramiah Ferrari.

I was dead tempted with this event - wish I had gone now Grrrrr

On 06/07/2020 at 07:20, internetjef said:

have had caribou and belle & Sebastián (+ django django support), cancelled since then , and glastonbury :(

Are you stalking me?   I had the same tickets! 

My last gig, however, was the HMHB one that half of Otib seems to have gone to. To be honest, even back then, I was a bit wary about going to such a crowded event. I stayed well back from the moshers, near the disabled/reserved seating area and used the least busy bar.

I miss live music terribly, but I'd not fancy venturing into a packed indoor venue at the moment. Sweaty people shouting and singing along would be a recipe for disaster.  :shocking:

Archived