IGNORED

LJ's reign - Best/Worst players & games

Bainsey

Who do you think were the best/worst players under LJ? And your favourite/worst matches?

Best player: Adam Webster. Absolutely class defender while he was with us.

Worst player: Lois Diony. Enough said.

Favourite match: City 5-5 Hull. Even though we didn't win it was a brilliant and entertaining game to watch. And of course Man U at home.

Worst match: City 1-2 Wolves. Gut wrenching.

Any Fulham away game but especially the Tomlin free kick game.

Charlton away this season, how as a team/set up we managed to lose that I'll never work out.

Tomlin almost fits the bill as best and worst player too. Fantastic ability, shite attitude.

As much down to him as it was LJ that he never showed his best once permanently signed.

4 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Oh that Wolves game,if that had gone the other way ( which it could easily have done) Where might we be now?

Judging on the ending of every other LJ season, I honestly think we would have fallen away even if we had beat Wolves.

12 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

Any Fulham away game but especially the Tomlin free kick game.

Charlton away this season, how as a team/set up we managed to lose that I'll never work out.

Tomlin almost fits the bill as best and worst player too. Fantastic ability, shite attitude.

As much down to him as it was LJ that he never showed his best once permanently signed.

To be fair we battered them for large spells in the 2md half just defended poorly.

The Preston 5-0 sort of got away from us, but the worst games were Forest away earlier that season, one of the most depressing games of football between two of the most abjectly terrible teams you will ever see, and Huddersfield away this season, for our ineptness and disinterest. There have also been a number of bland AG defeats (normally 1-0) that I have erased from my memory they were so depressing. Should probably mention losses at WBa and Leeds this season if only for the gulf in class and being embarrassed our team had nothing.

Best - outside of the cup, too many away games to mention. Sheff Utd away two seasons running. Winning at Brighton in the sun on their promotion party. Going 2-0 up at Newcastle in front of 45,000. Coming back from 2-0 down to win 3-2 at Hull. Wins at Swansea, Forest, Boro last season. Massengo coming out of nowhere to help us beat Derby in the twilight of summer last year. Even the QPR away game a few months ago because Fam was unplayable, and the will to win and sheer teamwork from them all right to the end was enthralling.

But from a footballing perspective has to always be the wins at Fulham, I will never know what hex LJ has over them but everything always clicked in games at Craven Cottage, the 4-0, the multiple 2-1's. I honestly think if LJ only ever had to set teams up to play there, he'd be the greatest coach in the world. Perhaps they should bin off Parker and appoint him. It is a stark reminder that for all his repeated problems with bad runs, LJ did hit some real heights with us where it felt like anything was possible - the perils of a feast or famine existence.

Best games: Man Utd and various Fulham away matches. Also last home match in 2015-16 season when we beat Huddersfield 4-0 with Tomlin’s brilliant strike and the future looked bright. 
Best player: Bobby Reid. LJ can take great credit for turning him into a striker, a move which in fact was key to our best performances under LJ in the first 6 months of the 2017-18 season. 

52 minutes ago, Bainsey said:

Who do you think were the best/worst players under LJ? And your favourite/worst matches?

Best player: Adam Webster. Absolutely class defender while he was with us.

Worst player: Lois Diony. Enough said.

Favourite match: City 5-5 Hull. Even though we didn't win it was a brilliant and entertaining game to watch. And of course Man U at home.

Worst match: City 1-2 Wolves. Gut wrenching.

Gut wrenching and devastating but I wouldn't say our worst. That Wolves side were one of the best teams that have ever won the Championship. The fact we kept with them for half a year was impressive I would say. 

I suppose I’ve been a ‘proper’ (old enough) city fan since around the 2005.

Without doubt, LJ has overseen the best Bristol City football team in that time. Some of our away performances have been unbelievable. Perhaps it was the all-round day, but winning at Forest last season was a highlight for me. And of course the cup run.

I still think it was time to go though if we want to push on. 

Best players: Webster and Abraham (+ converting Reid into a striker)

Worst players: Diony and Marinovic.

Then there are many players who were/are not judgeable because we saw too little of them, for LJ's choices or injuries: J.Hegeler, F.Giefer, C.Robinson, M.Watkins, E.Pisano, L.Walsh, R.Kent, H.Adelakun, M.Eisa, S.Szmodics, maybe others.

Best/worst games (based mainly on results/opposition's level):

2015/16: wins vs Bolton and Sheffield Wednesday  / losses vs Brighton and Hull.

2016/17: wins against Aston Villa, Fulham and Leeds, draw vs Newcastle  / losses vs Reading (H), Cardiff (H) and Preston (A).

2017/18: wins against Derby, Boro, Hull and Cardiff, draws vs Wolverhampton and Aston Villa + cup run  / losses vs Leeds (H) and Bolton, draws vs Burton Albion and Sunderland.

2018/19: wins against Blades , Forest and WBA, draw vs Norwich + cup match vs Wolves  / losses vs Birmingham and Stoke, draws vs Rotherham and Ipswich.

2019/20: wins against Cardiff, Fulham and Huddersfield / losses vs Luton, Charlton and Huddersfield, draw vs Barnsley.

Best match, going 1 - 0 up at Man City and almost holding out for a draw. So much better achievement than beating a mundane Man Utd at home. 

Worst match, Derby home last season. Should have beaten them and would have made the play offs if we had.

Best player, well it's obviously Tammy but I hold Reid in greater affection.

Worst player, too many that I've surely forgotten most of them. Actually I'll go for Kent, seemed like a total sort

2 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Darby at home when we beat them 4 1 

said it before and will say it again absolutely stunning football played that day ..Darby never knew what hit them 

Jonathan Leko looked like Messi in that game! Shame he was more Messy than Messi in his other appearances!

Best games: First place I'd say is Man City away, the 2-1 loss. The fact we led a Pep Guardiola team at half time in a major semi-final gives me a major semi. Mentions to United, 3-2 at Bramall Lane.

Worst games, probably the 3-0's to 3-3's. They stung. And some of the non-attack football of this season in general.

Best players, Webo first, Tammy second. Mentions to Bryan, Kalas, Josh, Nic, Nagy.

Worst, probably Marinovic.  

Best game: Man City away. To be leading 1:0 and with a bit better execution or belief could gone even further ahead. Dreamland.

Worst game: Brentford h this season. To see how far we have fallen behind in terms of organisation, identity and fluidity was a real eye opener.

Best player: Without a doubt Adam Webster and Lloyd Kelly. Both should go on to play for England one day. Turning Bobby Reid into a striker was a tactical master piece when some on here would even pay for the taxi fare out of the club.

Worst player: Louis Diony, Stefan Marinovic & Gustav Engvall.

Diony could trap wind and was obviously not a footballer, Marinovic looked way out of his depth and Engvall (whom we paid money for) was plain terrible.

2 hours ago, Robin101 said:

I suppose I’ve been a ‘proper’ (old enough) city fan since around the 2005.

Without doubt, LJ has overseen the best Bristol City football team in that time. Some of our away performances have been unbelievable. Perhaps it was the all-round day, but winning at Forest last season was a highlight for me. And of course the cup run.

I still think it was time to go though if we want to push on. 

Excellent goal the one at Forest last season, and Tammy's at Blackburn, after even more passes, another fine pass and move goal. 

Best Match: Apart from the obvious Man U game (and City ones too), I’d say the 4-0 win at Fulham. If only we could play all our matches at Craven Cottage. 

Worst Match: A lot to choose from this season but Charlton away really stands out. Terrible first half, go 2–1 against a really poor side and manage to lose 3-2. We also lost 1-0 at home to Brentford in 2018 when they had about 30 shots and we had none. A clueless home display.

Best Player: Tammy or if you want City owned then Webster but a few others come close like Bryan and Reid.

Worst Player: Diony

When I think a out the Johnson good times I always think of the Bobby Reid season. Bobby was incredible and for a few months it seemed like we had finally discovered a method and style that could take us to the top. It culminated in the cup games and has been a decline ever since.

Best Players: Josh Brownhill signed for free did very well and sold for 10 million, Bobby Reid turning a player who we would have struggled to sell for 200k midfielder to a great striker for 10 million, Adam Webster without doubt the best CB I've witnessed for us bought for 3 million and sold for 20 million.

Worst Players: Gustav Engvall bought for 1.5 million and sold for 200k after near to none appearances, Marley Watkins bought for 1 million again not played, Callum O'Dowda bought for 1 million and consistently done nothing after getting chance after chance.

Good Players: Niclas Elliasson, Hörður Magnússon, Famara Diedhiou, Nathan Baker, Andries Wiemann, Niki Maenpaa, Jay Dasilva, Daniel Bentley, 

Useful Players: Matty Taylor, Tommy Rowe, Jack Hunt, Eros Pisano, Milan Djuric, Bailey Wright, Jamie Paterson

TBD: Kasey Palmer, Liam Walsh, Taylor Moore, Tomas Kalas, Nahki Wells, Adam Nagy, Sammie Szmodics, Han Noah Massengo

Others that haven't worked: Hakeeb Adelukun, Mo Eisa, Lee Tomlin, Jens Hegeler

N/A: Marinovic, Rodri

Thats my summary of who I can think of.

5 hours ago, firstdivision said:

First 45 minutes at Fulham, 31 October 2017. 2-0 up at half-time. Best City football at decent level for close on 40 years. Scored a third in the second-half that was incorrectly disallowed for offside. 
I note that Tomas Kalas was subbed by Fulham at h-t!

Agreed, that first half was liquid football.

Best player is easy - Bobby Reid was a man possessed that 17-18 season. A joy to watch. 

Shout out to the 3-3 draw with Sunderland as the most painful game. Carnage.

5 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Oh that Wolves game,if that had gone the other way ( which it could easily have done) Where might we be now?

The Wolves game was the defining moment of Johnson’s time here. We were on a steady upward trend until that very game and we’ve never truly recovered from it since. It was also a microcosm of Johnson’s reign; promising, some great football, but some dubious decision making and ultimately falling short.

Best player: Webster by a country mile and worth mentioning what he got out of Bobby Reid. 

Not been too many bad players, most of them you have to say were a complete waste of time and money though like Diony, Kent, O'Neil, Henriksen etc.

Best games: Any of the Fulham away games, coming back to win 3-2 at Hull, Blades away for the past two seasons, the games against the Manchester clubs.

Worst games: Fulham at home 2017, 3-3 at home to Sunderland, 5-0 vs Preston.

Archived