IGNORED

Who would accept the City job?

Robbored

SL will want a new Head Coach that is willing to pick up the ‘sustainability’ mantle and to develop youngsters in the same way LJ had done but at the same time not expect a sizeable war chest to enhance the squad - unless the finances are generated by selling your most value players - and be expected to deliver PL football within those boundaries.

It’s not a straightforward job with those demands..........

That said.......maybe SL has revised his policy and employs a new manager with a decent promotion CV to go all out for the riches of the PL..........:cool2:

Can’t get involved in wild speculation so I will await updates on the OS.

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

I don’t think this should be speculated on until the new man is announced on the official site.

Great minds - you type quicker ??

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

SL will want a new Head Coach that is willing to pick up the ‘sustainability’ mantle and to develop youngsters in the same way LJ had done but at the same time not expect a sizeable war chest to enhance the squad - unless the finances are generated by selling your most value players - and be expected to deliver PL football within those boundaries.

That said.......maybe SL has revised his policy and employs a new manager with a decent promotion CV to go all out for the riches of the PL..........:cool2:

Good question....what does sustainable mean though in terms of a football club?

1. Is it return a profit?
  2. Is it stay inside FFP?  I guess that one is a no brainer!

But there is a £13m pa budget difference between the two (actually it’s more but that’s detail)

Couple that with doing it whilst getting to the playoffs / PL.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Good question....what does sustainable mean though in terms of a football club?

1. Is it return a profit?
  2. Is it stay inside FFP?  I guess that one is a no brainer!

But there is a £13m pa budget difference between the two (actually it’s more but that’s detail)

Couple that with doing it whilst getting to the playoffs / PL.

SL has specifically said he wants the club to become self funding. Personally, unless there is radical financial reform in the Championship, I don't think that is possible.

Nevertheless, developing or recruiting players and selling them for big money is the main objective. Whoever replaces LJ will need to live with that but deliver a top 6 finish.

It's typically self-important of you RR to deem this worthy of a separate thread. These pearls of wisdom could so easily have gone into other threads on the topic.

I hope you'll be obeying your own rules over the coming days/weeks and not entering into ANY discussion about the vacancy unless it is news on the OS. 

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

SL has specifically said he wants the club to become self funding. Personally, unless there is radical financial reform in the Championship, I don't think that is possible.

Nevertheless, developing or recruiting players and selling them for big money is the main objective. Whoever replaces LJ will need to live with that but deliver a top 6 finish.

A self-funding club means Premier League. It’s impossible to turn a profit in the Championship as so many teams scrabble to get to “the promised land of TV riches” as it’s otherwise known. Even SL’s patience was eventually going to wear thin with LJ’s lack of progress this season. Remember at year 5 of this “project” we were supposed to be pushing for European qualification. Not ridiculous if you look at Wolves and Sheffield United but still a long way away at the moment.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

With the impact of ffp, and now the financial consequences of the pandemic, what decent jobs will there be in the championship that do not have pretty stringent financial constraints, other than at clubs with parachute payments?

The fact that we have an established, and proven,  regime of sustainability and a wealthy owner willing and able to support his manager/head coach, and one who has demonstrated that he is willing to give that coach/manager time and support, I would say makes us quite an attractive club at the moment.

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's typically self-important of you RR to deem this worthy of a separate thread. These pearls of wisdom could so easily have gone into other threads on the topic.

I hope you'll be obeying your own rules over the coming days/weeks and not entering into ANY discussion about the vacancy unless it is news on the OS. 

There’s  been the expected threads on who SL should appoint and threads on who SL should not appoint but no threads on who would actually want the job given the remit imposed by SL - unless of course SL has revised his strategy.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

It's pointless to speculate.  We're not privy to what goes on at Failand, behind the scenes at AG, or indeed in Guernsey.

We just have to wait until LJ's successor is announced on the OS. 

5 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

It's pointless to speculate.  We're not privy to what goes on at Failand, behind the scenes at AG, or indeed in Guernsey.

Which I think will be sooner rather than later. The nature of LJ's departure tells me much has been going on in the background for a while now.

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Which I think will be sooner rather than later. The nature of LJ's departure tells me much has been going on in the background for a while now.

We have a much shorter summer break and pre-season than normal, due to the pandemic.

In view of this, I would not be at all surprised if the club had contingency plans for LJ's departure if things did not go well after the restart, to give the new man the longest amount of time possible with the players prior to next season.

Just now, downendcity said:

We have a much shorter summer break and pre-season than normal, due to the pandemic.

In view of this, I would not be at all surprised if the club had contingency plans for LJ's departure if things did not go well after the restart, to give the new man the longest amount of time possible with the players prior to next season.

That would seem sensible

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

There’s  been the expected threads on who SL should appoint and threads on who SL should not appoint but no threads on who would actually want the job given the remit imposed by SL - unless of course SL has revised his strategy.

26 minutes ago, downendcity said:

With the impact of ffp, and now the financial consequences of the pandemic, what decent jobs will there be in the championship that do not have pretty stringent financial constraints, other than at clubs with parachute payments?

The fact that we have an established, and proven,  regime of sustainability and a wealthy owner willing and able to support his manager/head coach, and one who has demonstrated that he is willing to give that coach/manager time and support, I would say makes us quite an attractive club at the moment.

As per my post, we are in a different financial world now, and think we will be for the immediate future. In view of this I think we are one of the more attractive clubs , even for managers who might not have considered us in the past.

11 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Indeed - it wouldn’t be a big surprise if a new manager is already in the wings and will be in post at the start of next season with Deano running the ship until this season ends.

Thats certainly what happened when SC was sacked.

21 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

That's kinda missing the whole point of a football forum!!

I would take the job.  But being a rank outsider I'd lay a few bets on myself before accepting. ?

11 minutes ago, downendcity said:

More generally, I suspect the club have always got a loose list in mind of who the candidates might be if the manager either got sacked or took another job. I certainly doubt they are starting a search from scratch. 

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Indeed - it wouldn’t be a big surprise if a new manager is already in the wings and will be in post at the start of next season with Deano running the ship until this season ends.

My thoughts exactly. New man in before Wednesday will watch, learn and interact from the outside before taking the reins once the season finishes.

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

More generally, I suspect the club have always got a loose list in mind of who the candidates might be if the manager either got sacked or took another job. I certainly doubt they are starting a search from scratch. 

Rudolph has one of those for his women! 

21 minutes ago, BigTone said:

It's funny you say that, I said to my lad yesterday (while it was still 0-0 btw) that I thought LJ wouldn't be with us next season, yet I though a coach would be interim to the seasons end if he went earlier.

Then after thinking about it for a while, I did say due to the relative short closed season any new bloke would want to be in straight away as pre season is kind of underway already.

23 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I trust you are drafting Ashton’s announcement speech for him?

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Was it?  I don’t believe it would’ve taken over 3 weeks from sacking to appointment if that was the case, and if speculating is now allowed, MA wanted Appleton, as did other members of the board.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was it?  I don’t believe it would’ve taken over 3 weeks from sacking to appointment if that was the case, and if speculating is now allowed, MA wanted Appleton, as did other members of the board.

It’s an old narrative now Dave but we at Senior Reds knew SC was on borrowed time and was sacked not long after. I can’t recall exactly when but if was early in the new year. 

LJ was appointed not long after so it makes perfect sense that SL knew then that LJ was next in line. No doubt MA had done the donkey work salary, contracts et el beforehand and the three week gap was probably for cosmetic value.

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s an old narrative now Dave but we at Senior Reds knew SC was on borrowed time and was sacked not long after. I can’t recall exactly when but if was early in the new year. 

LJ was appointed not long after so it makes perfect sense that SL knew then that LJ was next in line. No doubt MA had done the donkey work salary, contracts et el beforehand and the three week gap was probably for cosmetic value.

I’ll politely agree to disagree. ?

42 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I suppose ultimately it depends on whether the guy we are looking at is currently under contract at another club.

Archived