IGNORED

Who would accept the City job?

Robbored

The OP is ' who would accept the City job'

Well- just about anyone who's an unemployed Manager ( within the bounds of realism) and any Manager at a smaller club, broke club, badly run club, club going nowhere.

It's an unbelievable opportunity.

Being appointed the Manager of BCFC is one of the best and safest jobs in the EFL- two Managers since 2013. Fab stadium, infrastructure, training facilities, youth policy and an owner who speaks English as a first language and is hugely respected by true City fans ( you know- the one's who actually support the club by attending matches etc) - money to spend within reason. And a very good squad despite mid table position.

I bet the queue for the post is bigger than at Tesco's during the worst of lockdown or the rush for bog paper.

The big problem is choosing the right person because SL is determined to get to the Prem and needs to get the right guy to get us there. 

3 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Well- just about anyone who's an unemployed Manager ( within the bounds of realism) and any Manager at a smaller club, broke club, badly run club, club going nowhere.

Being appointed the Manager of BCFC is one of the best and safest jobs in the EFL- two Managers since 2013. Fab stadium, infrastructure, training facilities, youth policy and an owner who speaks English as a first language and is hugely respected by true City fans ( you know- the one's who actually support the club by attending matches etc) - money to spend within reason. And a very good squad despite mid table position.

I bet the queue for the post is bigger than at Tesco's during the worst of lockdown or the rush for bog paper.

The big problem is choosing the right person because SL is determined to get to the Prem and needs to get the right guy to get us there. 

Yes and with our recent development managers should be queuing up.

6 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Agreed. The board will I’m sure have a lot of dross to sieve through as like you said managers out of work will be all over the opportunity to manage this club. 

I just hope and pray the board and SL go for somebody who has done it before at this level.

29 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s an old narrative now Dave but we at Senior Reds knew SC was on borrowed time and was sacked not long after. I can’t recall exactly when but if was early in the new year. 

LJ was appointed not long after so it makes perfect sense that SL knew then that LJ was next in line. No doubt MA had done the donkey work salary, contracts et el beforehand and the three week gap was probably for cosmetic value.

But But ..Mark Ashton TOLD us HE had done an exhaustive search of every possible managerial candidate and analysed their strengths and weaknesses , sought opinion from his extensive list of contacts in the game and the one name that kept coming up was Lee Johnson.  Nothing to do with SL.  HE recommended LJ to SL .  All his own work.

Of course the pressure of running a top championship football club must have affected Mark's memory slightly because after the record losing run he began referring to LJ as having been appointed by Steve Lansdown.  Nothing to do with him at all, hardly knew the fellow before SL appointed him.  Understandable how he got a bit confused, got a lot on his plate that man.

Of course a less charitable fellow than myself might conclude that Mr Ashton is a grade A bulls hitter......but not me

1 minute ago, CodeRed said:

But But ..Mark Ashton TOLD us HE had done an exhaustive search of every possible managerial candidate and analysed their strengths and weaknesses , sought opinion from his extensive list of contacts in the game and the one name that kept coming up was Lee Johnson.  Nothing to do with SL.  HE recommended LJ to SL .  All his own work.

Of course the pressure of running a top championship football club must have affected Mark's memory slightly because after the record losing run he began referring to LJ as having been appointed by Steve Lansdown.  Nothing to do with him at all, hardly knew the fellow before SL appointed him.  Understandable how he got a bit confused, got a lot on his plate that man.

Of course a less charitable fellow than myself might conclude that Mr Ashton is a grade A bulls hitter......but not me

You’re spot on there CR.

35 minutes ago, bris red said:

Agreed. The board will I’m sure have a lot of dross to sieve through as like you said managers out of work will be all over the opportunity to manage this club. 

I just hope and pray the board and SL go for somebody who has done it before at this level.

Well- I actually feel the last two appointments have been great overall. SC- the double season finally getting us into the Champ- Lee keeping us there and consolidating our position whilst taking us forward on a number of levels.. until recently. Both were great appointments, imo, but both had to go when they did.

I'm relatively optimistic that we'll get our man to take us to the next level irrespective of his Championship credentials.

54 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....it’s obviously all water under the bridge now, but didn’t MA interview LJ and then recommend him to the Board? 

Depends how you’re defining recommended, did he recommend only one person who was the preferred candidate or did he recommend multiple people because they all reached a standard set for the board to then choose who to go for 

5 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Well- I actually feel the last two appointments have been great overall. SC- the double season finally getting us into the Champ- Lee keeping us there and consolidating our position whilst taking us forward on a number of levels.. until recently. Both were great appointments, imo, but both had to go when they did.

I'm relatively optimistic that we'll get our man to take us to the next level irrespective of his Championship credentials.

Now now. You can’t go around saying things like that on here!

49 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Great post, which very succinctly sums Mark Ashton up.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

SL will want a new Head Coach that is willing to pick up the ‘sustainability’ mantle and to develop youngsters in the same way LJ had done but at the same time not expect a sizeable war chest to enhance the squad - unless the finances are generated by selling your most value players - and be expected to deliver PL football within those boundaries.

It’s not a straightforward job with those demands..........

That said.......maybe SL has revised his policy and employs a new manager with a decent promotion CV to go all out for the riches of the PL..........:cool2:

I don't think LJ did very much at all on that front, quite the reverse in fact.  Under his tenure the club sold the last few youngsters we'd developed and none came though at all.  The club ran eight figure losses on average despite the sales because money was ploughed into transfers and wages.

SL might want someone to develop youngster and not expect a sizeable war chest, but if does get someone on that remit that will be a changed policy.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

SL will want a new Head Coach that is willing to pick up the ‘sustainability’ mantle and to develop youngsters in the same way LJ had done but at the same time not expect a sizeable war chest to enhance the squad - unless the finances are generated by selling your most value players - and be expected to deliver PL football within those boundaries.

It’s not a straightforward job with those demands..........

That said.......maybe SL has revised his policy and employs a new manager with a decent promotion CV to go all out for the riches of the PL..........:cool2:

I'm still waiting to know which young players LJ developed.

Reid? No, fortunate of luck

Bryan? No, natural youth progression and had been off form for quite some time

Abraham? No, natural progression and was always destined for bigger things?

Webster? Good buy. Great timing we had an injury free season with him as he was a great player prior to joining us but was prone to injury. 

1 minute ago, Nibor said:

I don't think LJ did very much at all on that front, quite the reverse in fact.  Under his tenure the club sold the last few youngsters we'd developed and none came though at all.  The club ran eight figure losses on average despite the sales because money was ploughed into transfers and wages.

SL might want someone to develop youngster and not expect a sizeable war chest, but if does get someone on that remit that will be a changed policy.

Pretty much what I highlighted above @Nibor

21 minutes ago, hodge said:

Depends how you’re defining recommended, did he recommend only one person who was the preferred candidate or did he recommend multiple people because they all reached a standard set for the board to then choose who to go for 

Good points - all I can find is this article where MA says he interviewed LJ and had no hesitation in recommending him to the Board as he was the ‘right fit for this club’ - there could have been other recommendations of course ... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35502568

The Club need to appoint someone who actively wants to manage us. They shouldn’t go out of their way to approach a ‘big name’ and try to sell the club to them. Last time that happened it didn’t go too well with Coppell. If the club has to sell itself then you know the manager’s heart isn’t really in it.

24 minutes ago, Nibor said:

My point was is that p during LJs tenure numerous youngsters have been signed  for development.

Most of them have are or have been out on loan to gain valuable competitive men’s football. Vyner, Walsh and Moore to name just three.

27 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Webster? Good buy. Great timing we had an injury free season with him as he was a great player prior to joining us but was prone to injury. 

Brownhill and Eliasson have improved for starters, both relatively young when they joined. Hard to say how much Lloyd improved but he was given opportunity and took it, experience which would have helped him develop somewhat at least. Then Taylor Moore and Joe Morrell, yes they've both spent a lot of time out on loan but they've also spent time being coached by our staff, each spent at half a season to a season as part of 1st team squad. If you want to go down the route of saying 'they got better out on loan' then they've developed under the system the club have adopted, LJ took the blame for all elements of things that went wrong, he then gets a share (not all) of the credit of things going right. Maybe not a youngster but Marlon got better during LJ's tenure as well.

I think 'natural progression' is a cop out frankly, without the right environment and coaching the players would stagnate and regress rather than continue to improve, plenty of comments this season about how players got worse due to the coaching staff. Bryan wasn't really a LB in a back 4 when LJ arrived he  was a LWB in a 3 CB system, Macca coming in surely helped him somewhat. Whether you put Bobby down to the analyst who supposedly brought up the idea or not we still got the performances from him, it wasn't like his name was drawn from a hat and told you're going upfront. 

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

My point was is that p during LJs tenure numerous youngsters have been signed  for development.

Most of them have are or have been out on loan to gain valuable competitive men’s football. Vyner, Walsh and Moore to name just three.

:blink:

47 minutes ago, Nibor said:

47 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Lloyd Kelly?

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I disagree.  A handful of youngsters have been signed for development but this has in no way prevented big money fees and wages for marquee signings and whether we signed a youngster or brought one through the academy very little actual development has happened under LJ's tenure.

I don't consider chucking players out on loan because there's no role for them in a match day squad to be examples of LJ developing young players, quite the reverse. 

I'd say the three you name have all had their development stunted to some extent by being thrown out on loan. 

I think we have (so far) failed to develop all of the other young players we paid substantial money for - Engvall, Adelakun, Eisa, Szmodics, Walsh.

I think some of our academy players - Pring, Morrell, Semenyo, Bakinson, Janneh and O'Leary - may have benefited from being on loan but we don't know yet.

Many of these players might also have been included sometimes in the matchday squad especially when you consider at times we've had players like Diony and Watkins on the bench - it's not like they'd have been any worse. 

Your point is lost on me because the reality is that LJ never had any of these restrictions you mention and never developed anybody with the one possible exception of Bobby Reid.

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

image.thumb.png.f31dbf8ae6e4357658401b7540e0f45b.png

Others bigged up on arrival, only to go on loan.

Having said that I blame LJ for going a bit OTT rather when in fairness that might’ve been the plan.  But he can’t resist bigging players up ahead of time. 

12 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I disagree.  A handful of youngsters have been signed for development but this has in no way prevented big money fees and wages for marquee signings and whether we signed a youngster or brought one through the academy very little actual development has happened under LJ's tenure.

I don't consider chucking players out on loan because there's no role for them in a match day squad to be examples of LJ developing young players, quite the reverse. 

I'd say the three you name have all had their development stunted to some extent by being thrown out on loan. 

I think we have (so far) failed to develop all of the other young players we paid substantial money for - Engvall, Adelakun, Eisa, Szmodics, Walsh.

I think some of our academy players - Pring, Morrell, Semenyo, Bakinson, Janneh and O'Leary - may have benefited from being on loan but we don't know yet.

Many of these players might also have been included sometimes in the matchday squad especially when you consider at times we've had players like Diony and Watkins on the bench - it's not like they'd have been any worse. 

Your point is lost on me because the reality is that LJ never had any of these restrictions you mention and never developed anybody with the one possible exception of Bobby Reid.

Me too. I find it strange to entrust a key stage of development to another club, another coach with another set of players.

It’s not as black and white as that, but players like Szmodics and Walsh were not signed to go out on loan or to progress their value to sell on. 

Just now, Davefevs said:

Me too. I find it strange to entrust a key stage of development to another club, another coach with another set of players.

It’s not as black and white as that, but players like Szmodics and Walsh were not signed to go out on loan or to progress their value to sell on. 

There isn’t any men’s competitive football available under the first team and that’s why players go out on loan - to gain match experience.

As for Szmodics and Walsh - it does beg the question of how good LJs ability to judge a player is..........:cool2:

57 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Come on Robbored, get facts right.

Vyner has grown up with Bristol City just like Kelly did. Yet only now has Johnson used him - because he is the best Academy qualified young pro at the club, to comply with rules.

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

Archived