IGNORED

Steven Gerrard

Bristolded1987

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I preferred Lampard to Gerrard. Slightly different roles. Lampard did better defensive work in that Chelsea system and without looking it up I think he scored more goals. A proper goal machine.

Gerrard in his prime had a free role. Almost like a striker. He was nowhere near as good in deeper midfield positions that we saw him play in Houllier and Rodgers era. He had mistakes in him. Lacked composure of Alonso and didn't protect the defence like Machereno could.

Carrick and the older version of Scholes far better midfielders in front of the defence than Gerrard imo.

Best prem player imo has probably been De Bruyne imo. Few others like Suarez or Spurs version of Bale. Henry too. 

I think the majority of the best have been non English players.

For me Gerrard had his weaknesses and certainly not a player that could play anywhere.

All the players you've named are obviously great talents with differing attributes that various football fans will find more pleasing on the eye than others. For me Gerrard played in the worst teams than any of the above names and without him Liverpool would have been worse than average. His passing range, tackling, goals from all areas and inspirational leadership are the reasons why I would go for him. On a forum of this size there will never be a consensus on this subject though

10 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

All the players you've named are obviously great talents with differing attributes that various football fans will find more pleasing on the eye than others. For me Gerrard played in the worst teams than any of the above names and without him Liverpool would have been worse than average. His passing range, tackling, goals from all areas and inspirational leadership are the reasons why I would go for him. On a forum of this size there will never be a consensus on this subject though

Fair comment about him carrying a relatively poor team. Much like Bryan Robson did for the bulk of his career at United.

46 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I preferred Lampard to Gerrard. Slightly different roles. Lampard did better defensive work in that Chelsea system and without looking it up I think he scored more goals. A proper goal machine.

Gerrard in his prime had a free role. Almost like a striker. He was nowhere near as good in deeper midfield positions that we saw him play in Houllier and Rodgers era. He had mistakes in him. Lacked composure of Alonso and didn't protect the defence like Machereno could.

Carrick and the older version of Scholes far better midfielders in front of the defence than Gerrard imo.

Best prem player imo has probably been De Bruyne imo. Few others like Suarez or Spurs version of Bale. Henry too. 

For me Gerrard had his weaknesses and certainly not a player that could play anywhere.

It's all to easy to remember him for the slip against Chelsea, but I don't think any player has been able to pull his team through by sheer force of will ( and no little ability).

Most of the other players to which Gerrard is unfavourably compared played in teams full of the very best players. While Gerrard was never in a team of Sunday league players, there is no way most Liverpool team's of his era could be compared to the Man U that Scholes played in, the Arsenal of Henry and Bergkamp. Lampard's Chelsea or De Bruyne's Man City.

P.S. Just read @Dolman_Stand earlier post, making a similar point,

2 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

In my view he is the best player of the premier league era

IMO, he is the best midfielder to play for England since Duncan Edwards.

As a teenager his lifestyle wasn't the best for him to become a top player. But Houllier took him aside, told him some home truths and as soon as he concentrated training and behaviour, to become a great player for club and country.

Gerrard's Rangers career so far has actually been pretty interesting.

He's both improved them domestically, yet also underperformed at times. You need to appreciate he took over an absolute basket-case of a club, regularly getting hammered by Celtic and struggling to finish even second. He's improved the squad, and plays an interesting system - mostly a 4-3-3 with two Number 10's drifting in field rather than wingers, to try and overload the middle/final third in central areas and use the fullbacks for most of the width. They've certainly improved, and play some decent football, yet also get criticised for an apparent lack of a 'Plan B', and also an over-reliance of Alfredo Morelos.

In the last two season their form has completely fallen apart after the winter break, and there have also been questions about his sides discipline and mentality.

His biggest plus-point is their performances in Europe. From getting knocked out in qualifying rounds by amateurs before he arrived, to now making the final rounds of the Europa League. Rangers often look a completely different side in European competition and have really impressed me.

He's quite unfortunate that Celtic are much better run, with more money, a better squad and better systems in place - but it's a bit simplistic to just say 'he's got them second in a 2 horse race'.

I wouldn't be completely adverse to this - not that I think he'd currently leave Rangers for City.

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Reminds me of the style of that tall fella who recently lost his job at Boro.. Watergate or something. I think we should stick to the proven promotion experienced candidate from this league and not detract from it with the exception of a proven Bundesliga man.

Ah yes that’s him, Jonathan Watergate. 

2 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

He's both improved them domestically, yet also underperformed at times. You need to appreciate he took over an absolute basket-case of a club, regularly getting hammered by Celtic and struggling to finish even second. He's improved the squad, and plays an interesting system - mostly a 4-3-3 with two Number 10's drifting in field rather than wingers, to try and overload the middle/final third in central areas and use the fullbacks for most of the width. They've certainly improved, and play some decent football, yet also get criticised for an apparent lack of a 'Plan B', and also an over-reliance of Alfredo Morelos.

In the last two season their form has completely fallen apart after the winter break, and there have also been questions about his sides discipline and mentality.

His biggest plus-point is their performances in Europe. From getting knocked out in qualifying rounds by amateurs before he arrived, to now making the final rounds of the Europa League. Rangers often look a completely different side in European competition and have really impressed me.

He's quite unfortunate that Celtic are much better run, with more money, a better squad and better systems in place - but it's a bit simplistic to just say 'he's got them second in a 2 horse race'.

I wouldn't be completely adverse to this - not that I think he'd currently leave Rangers for City.

Yep nice summary. Who would really leave Rangers for us? If he did though it would put us front page 

14 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Good points made here. Why would we turn our noses up at a man with such a pedigree? Quality fighter who never knew when he was beaten. Good contacts. Let him use us as a stepping stone and enjoy the ride I say 

5 hours ago, extonsred said:

Why would we want him? Done nothing! Not won anything.

Being a big name is not enough! 

Our experience of Big names is poor - Coppell, James, Williams. 

I agree but he comes with contacts people like johnson could only dream of, as well as experience people like johnson could only dream of. I think he would do well and brimf an amazing back room staff team behind him

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

You have to take into account he played in some poor Liverpool teams under some not very good managers!

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Struggling to think of any reason why Steven Gerrard of all people would prompt you to stop supporting your own club.

My feelings aren’t as strong as the person your replying to. But I must say that I think Gerrard is the most overhyped and overrated player in the last 20 years.

Bull in a china shop comes to mind, in an era where we had the likes of Iniesta, Xavi, Silva and the like playing fantastic pass and move football, it was no wonder that Liverpool and England struggled when we had Gerrard trying constant 60 yard passes, where I in 10 may come off. 

I haven’t a clue what he will be like as a manager, as anyone could get Rangers into the top 2 in Scotland.

100% not a choice for me, I much prefer an experienced manager with the know how you pick up over a decade or two of managing. I’m fed up with City always going for the ‘up and coming’ managers, get one who knows how to do the job. 

9 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

My feelings aren’t as strong as the person your replying to. But I must say that I think Gerrard is the most overhyped and overrated player in the last 20 years.

Bull in a china shop comes to mind, in an era where we had the likes of Iniesta, Xavi, Silva and the like playing fantastic pass and move football, it was no wonder that Liverpool and England struggled when we had Gerrard trying constant 60 yard passes, where I in 10 may come off. 

I haven’t a clue what he will be like as a manager, as anyone could get Rangers into the top 2 in Scotland.

100% not a choice for me, I much prefer an experienced manager with the know how you pick up over a decade or two of managing. I’m fed up with City always going for the ‘up and coming’ managers, get one who knows how to do the job. 

What would Pele and Zidane know about football........

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/4984191/Liverpools-Steven-Gerrard-hailed-as-worlds-best-player-by-Zinedine-Zidane.html

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/2379622/pele-gerrards-the-best

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Would Gerrard be more or less appealing if he brings Gary McAllister with him as assistant?

Or Morelos as his Number 9

6 hours ago, extonsred said:

Why would we want him? Done nothing! Not won anything.

Being a big name is not enough! 

Our experience of Big names is poor - Coppell, James, Williams. 

These are big names? ?

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I preferred Keane to all of them

Not sure I want a change of name to Steven Gerrards Bristol City ?

But it would certainly be an appointment that would lift the fan base unlike some of the other names being mentioned.

However, I don't think he would come here. He is currently at a very big club who next season will be challenging for a title and playing in Europe.

28 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

It’s my personal feelings on football, I don’t care what Zidane or Pele have to say, they didn’t have it rammed down their throats every week. It’s like the Gerrard ‘slip’, the slip came ‘after’ he miss controlled the ball, but people tend to forget that fact!

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

That might be the case but Gerrard was some player. I can remember him coming on as a sub for Liverpool when they weren’t struggling against some team in Europe. He transformed the game game and lifted the whole team. That take some doing for a single player. 

SG is unproven and will be expensive as will those he might want to bring in.

Let's back something more certain for one year.....Warnock.

He would cost a lot less, spend a lot less and would be much less of a gamble.

He doesn't like managing in the Premier League so a parting of the waves thereafter would be mutually acceptable.

21 minutes ago, cityfan said:

SG is unproven and will be expensive as will those he might want to bring in.

Let's back something more certain for one year.....Warnock.

He would cost a lot less, spend a lot less and would be much less of a gamble.

He doesn't like managing in the Premier League so a parting of the waves thereafter would be mutually acceptable.

Are you suggesting we get Warnock for promotion...and then Moses to consolidate?

Archived