IGNORED

Have Bristol Sport learnt a harsh lesson?

cheshire_red

I dont understand this.

When we employed LJ  were a potential yoyo side.....we had a half built stadium and a very average side and in the relegation zone. We weren't the draw we are now not even close.

So no they havent learnt a harsh lesson, I have been very impressed with the progress weve made over the last few years.

2 minutes ago, Lez said:

I dont understand this.

When we employed LJ  were a potential yoyo side.....we had a half built stadium and a very average side and in the relegation zone. We weren't the draw we are now not even close.

So no they havent learnt a harsh lesson, I have been very impressed with the progress weve made over the last few years.

Agreed Lez.

Prior to Lj's appointment we had been a pretty typical league club, with knee jerk reactions leading to multiple changes in manager over a short time, and the club unsurprisingly going backwards during that time.

SL put in place a long term plan for the club and in appointing LJ, aimed for a period of stability, which he achieved despite massive pressure from fans whenever LJ went on one his poor runs. That faith was rewarded by the club continuing to improve on and off the pitch. 

That LJ reached the end of his shelf life was inevitable, as it is for every manager ( even the seemingly invincible Eddie Howe seems on the brink just now). In hindsight LJ was I think the right head coach for us at the right time - in the same way as his Dad was. The club has evolved in the meantime, and I suspect are now in a much stronger position, and therefore able to look at a higher calibre of candidate, than would have been the case 5 years ago.

The Bears are a big fish in a small pond, particularly financially - a source of resentment for some other clubs and their fans. There really is no comparison to be made with the football club.

The level of football coach equivalent to Pat Lam in rugby would be a million miles above our status. 

36 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Bears were the same scenario, look at them now.

Rugby is so different though, if you're talking something similar in football then they were the equivalent of Newcastle in the championship then getting top 6 levels of investment upon promotion to the premier league.

We have made massive progress as a club and a part of Bristol Sport off the field. 

However on the field our progress has been minimal in view of a number of factors

A top class Academy

A huge expensive squad

A top draw back room, tracking  players inside and outside the club

First class On field data Analysis 

State of the art training facilities and medical staff/facilities

The list goes on!

I know some are attached to LJ and won’t acknowledge the on field failures, luckily the BoD have now acknowledged them for everyone. LJ was fired because he did not live up to the expectations of those who matter and was no longer moving us forward (not progressing) despite the investment in all areas. His team his failure LJ is a bright guy, he gets it. Good luck to the guy and to the bloke who has to make sense of a huge squad that is missing The required quality in about five positions!

2 hours ago, Lez said:

I dont understand this.

Can’t argue with that to be fair. Now we are a better draw all eyes are on the board to make the right decision and get a manager that matches our ambitions. We can’t afford to get this appointment wrong or go for the cheap/inexperienced option.

31 minutes ago, megansdad said:

do wonder if somehow Pat Lam could be involved, play some sort of role on the football side. Some of the culture he seems to have created within the Bears would be valuable.

He'd certainly help HNM bulk up a bit!

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Agreed Lez.

Prior to Lj's appointment we had been a pretty typical league club, with knee jerk reactions leading to multiple changes in manager over a short time, and the club unsurprisingly going backwards during that time.

SL put in place a long term plan for the club and in appointing LJ, aimed for a period of stability, which he achieved despite massive pressure from fans whenever LJ went on one his poor runs. That faith was rewarded by the club continuing to improve on and off the pitch. 

That LJ reached the end of his shelf life was inevitable, as it is for every manager ( even the seemingly invincible Eddie Howe seems on the brink just now). In hindsight LJ was I think the right head coach for us at the right time - in the same way as his Dad was. The club has evolved in the meantime, and I suspect are now in a much stronger position, and therefore able to look at a higher calibre of candidate, than would have been the case 5 years ago.

Excluding Coppell, we`ve only had six managers since 2005

3 hours ago, Lez said:

I dont understand this.

Well said. If there is a lesson, it isn’t a “harsh” one. The way some people talk about Johnson’s tenure you’d think he’d overseen our plummet into the conference. He leaves with the club stronger than he left it.

Not really comparable as the salaries are miles away . Sometimes you get what you pay for . Would a top class manager turn this squad into a promotion chasing outfit or would he have to go and get top class players . Then it’s wage bills etc 

Archived