IGNORED

Hughton Interview on Coach’s voice

Major Isewater

3 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

He's my number one choice.

His record speaks for itself, I don't at all get where this perception that he manages with a negative game style comes from.

The tables above say all you need to know, his teams at this level score goals, don't concede many and ultimately win promotion.

Only question is would he want to come here.

Yeah I agree. When you think about it he's a guy that 5 seasons ago (2014/2015) came in mid season and saved a struggling Brighton side from relegation. The next season (2015/2016) he had turned things around so much they finished 3rd missing out on automatics only on goal difference (while being joint top goal scorers in the league). Following season (2016/2017) despite the disappointment of the previous season he got them promoted finishing 2nd. 2017/2018 & 2018/2019 he spends consolidating them in the Prem stearing them clear of relegation both seasons. 

That is a pretty incredible recent record, all with a side in Brighton not too dissimilar to ourselves in a lot of ways! If he is interested in coming I'd go as far to say we'd be crazy not to snap him up!

18 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

He's my number one choice.

His record speaks for itself, I don't at all get where this perception that he manages with a negative game style comes from.

The tables above say all you need to know, his teams at this level score goals, don't concede many and ultimately win promotion.

Only question is would he want to come here.

Same here, his Brighton teams in the championship were not boring at all. Just very structured and solid shape with fluid passing and movement when in possession. Remember them being bloody impressive when they thrashed us 4-0 at the Gate. 

We’d be stupid not to take him if he’s interested. 

11 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

Yeah I agree. When you think about it he's a guy that 5 seasons ago (2014/2015) came in mid season and saved a struggling Brighton side from relegation. The next season (2015/2016) he had turned things around so much they finished 3rd missing out on automatics only on goal difference (while being joint top goal scorers in the league). Following season (2016/2017) despite the disappointment of the previous season he got them promoted finishing 2nd. 2017/2018 & 2018/2019 he spends consolidating them in the Prem stearing them clear of relegation both seasons. 

That is a pretty incredible recent record, all with a side in Brighton not too dissimilar to ourselves in a lot of ways! If he is interested in coming I'd go as far to say we'd be crazy not to snap him up!

Brighton also fired their recruitment chief, when they fired Sami Hyypia (and haven't looked back). Just saying.....

Having seen a lot of his football living in Brighton, he is by far the best man for the job that I think we have a chance of getting..

His football at championship level was top draw and very entertaining..

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Absolutely head and shoulders above any other realistic target IMO, if I were SL I’d be on the phone asking what he wanted to get down here ASAP. 

High time we had a manager of a calibre that matches the investment on the pitch and in the facilities. We are a premier league club in waiting that just needs the final piece of the jigsaw, which IMO, is an experienced and proven manager. 

Couldn’t agree more. It’s about time we pushed the boat out for a top manager.

45 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

I completely get where you are coming from re his defensive style and I completely agree he was at times with Brighton in the prem which while not entertaining was very effective at keeping a pretty average team (on paper at least) away from relegation.

His two most recent seasons in the championship though both with Brighton pre-promotion (2015/2016 & 2016/2017) were a different story. They were joint top scorers in the league in 2015/2016 (with 72 goals) the season they finished third and were so close to automatics and actually scored two more (74) the following season (2016/2017) when he did get them into the top two. Which suggests he may be more versatile than we give him credit for initially?

For some context our best tally for goals scored in a season since returning to the championship was the 67 goals we scored in 2017/2018. We haven't got anywhere close to that in the seasons before or since (since returning to Champ in 2015/2016 season).

image.thumb.png.7f403ad2916151c44778ad8d3aa1ee25.pngimage.thumb.png.bbbe143f1b339cfe8aef9a6c270b06d6.png

As a comparison; albeit a while ago now; McCarthy Wolves side bagged 80, conceding 52; ergo slightly more open and counter-attacking. Ipwich scored 72 at the end of the 14/15 season finishing 6th; per above this is when the cost-cutting hit, having sold the like sof Tyrone Mings and Aaron Cresswell for combined fees of around £13m.

Ipswich's gross spending on playing staff between 2014 and 2018 was...

Circa £5m. Near ten times less compared to what LJ has spent in fees in the last 4 years.

Not saying he should be our manager; but what McCarthy definately is, is a decent man-manager.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I worry that he has a reputation (especially more recently at Norwich & Brighton) for being very defensive.

His CV is excellent & he has managed a lot at the top level but something worries me about the way that his sides play.

Obviously will want him to do well if he gets it, but in truth wouldn’t be my first choice.

Sorry if I’ve missed it elsewhere @GrahamC but who would be your first choice? 

Hughton overall has to be stand out....although as you say there are questions over his style of play. 

12 minutes ago, Fuber said:

As a comparison; albeit a while ago now; McCarthy Wolves side bagged 80, conceding 52; ergo slightly more open and counter-attacking. Ipwich scored 72 at the end of the 14/15 season finishing 6th; per above this is when the cost-cutting hit, having sold the like sof Tyrone Mings and Aaron Cresswell for combined fees of around £13m.

Circa £5m. Near ten times less compared to what LJ has spent in fees in the last 4 years.

Not saying he should be our manager; but what McCarthy definately is, is a decent man-manager.

Really interesting comparison cheers! I certainly would not be disappointed if we went for McCarthy.

54 minutes ago, Der no.2 said:

Hopefully would bring us consistency.

I hear his training methods are very disciplined and involve a lot of kone routines.

I feel like I ought to express my knowledge of lift manufacturers here. Well done. 

5 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

Not rubbing it in but everything LJ isn’t , man management is so important now and I am afraid he had no idea , never quite sure how he got his head though the door 

4 hours ago, bcfcfinker said:

Didn't know he insisted on completing his apprenticeship as a lift engineer before turning professional, nor did I know that he had a long apprenticeship as a coach.

Should be used to the ups and downs then!!
For me the only logical choice if he'll accept the constraints placed upon him.

17 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

Ooooh, oooh, ooooh, got into second paragraph and Rosenior came up.  Hughton no1, Rosenior in as no2?  Rosenior a coach at Derby at the mo’.

I like that kind of set up!

ROSENIOR SAYS: "What's been great for me is that he has done the roles of assistant or U21 coach, so he understands how difficult it can be to work with lower age groups. He knows everything he needs to know about every player in the academy and that's really big for Brighton because we are trying to get players through the first-team. The lads look up to him."

SIDWELL SAYS: I agree. It is very difficult coming up with a team because you can't start changing too much. You can't go 3-5-2 in one game then 4-4-2 in another game. It's not about that, it's basically about sticking to the principles that got you there and being well-drilled.

You won't find many better-drilled units than Brighton at the moment in terms of individuals knowing their roles. That's what he does. He plays to the side's strengths and that goes through everyone in the squad and influences recruitment as well. Players have got to fit into his system."

44 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

Sorry if I’ve missed it elsewhere @GrahamC but who would be your first choice? 

Hughton overall has to be stand out....although as you say there are questions over his style of play. 

McCarthy.

Though if it is Hughton it is undeniable that is a trade up in calibre from the types we are usually linked with.

Chris Hughton ticks a lot of boxes for me also.

A good man manager, a team motivator and tactically adept and proven in the Championship. For Johnson to go so quick suggests they have someone lined up already for me?

Just wondering if Hughton could be the man?

I  would also be happy with Paul Cook at Wigan.

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

We can cross the (Hughton being a bit grim in the) Premier League "bridge" when we come to it?

Yeah, he did keep Brighton up for two seasons like that though before they wanted to move on..

3 hours ago, Fuber said:

The one thing that would worry me about Mad Mick, is that he hasn't had a promotion, or even been near the promotion hunt for quite a few years. Would getting him on board now be similar to when we took Danny Wilson on? Good history, played decent football, but never quite replicated his success. MM has also been on the international scene for a few years, so is he out of touch with the way the club scene is currently? Would he also look to bring his own staff in? Could that include Roy Keane? He would certainly get the midfield (probably the whole team tbf) toughened up and a bit more streetwise maybe....

At least Hughton has experienced it more recently, and of the two ticks more boxes for me.

I think we have someone lined up, whether it's either of these two, or someone else is another question.

Just find it interesting that Holden will take charge immediately whilst we find a successor. Sunday - Wednesday is a quick turnaround for a new guy to come in and start taking charge. Come and watch from the directors box against Hull, assess the way we play and take charge the following day ready for next weekend though......

Archived