IGNORED

Hughton Interview on Coach’s voice

Major Isewater

2 hours ago, Taz said:

MM has also been on the international scene for a few years, so is he out of touch with the way the club scene is recently? Would he also look to bring his own staff in? Could that include Roy Keane?

Really only back with Ireland for 15 months in a caretaker role really, and did wonders on limited funds at Ipswich for a good stretch of years. (Though their fans berated the style of football come the end).

I think you're thinking of Robbie Keane.  Can't imagine Mick and Roy are best of mates after their history with Ireland!!  

I really like Mick McCarthy.  Proper football man.  Terry Connor has association with is too so would be good to see him back. 

I like what I read in Chris Hughton's interview.  Like Mick, he comes across as a man of integrity and someone players would respect.  

2 hours ago, Taz said:

The one thing that would worry me about Mad Mick, is that he hasn't had a promotion, or even been near the promotion hunt for quite a few years. Would getting him on board now be similar to when we took Danny Wilson on? Good history, played decent football, but never quite replicated his success. MM has also been on the international scene for a few years, so is he out of touch with the way the club scene is currently? Would he also look to bring his own staff in? Could that include Roy Keane? He would certainly get the midfield (probably the whole team tbf) toughened up and a bit more streetwise maybe....

At least Hughton has experienced it more recently, and of the two ticks more boxes for me.

I think we have someone lined up, whether it's either of these two, or someone else is another question.

Just find it interesting that Holden will take charge immediately whilst we find a successor. Sunday - Wednesday is a quick turnaround for a new guy to come in and start taking charge. Come and watch from the directors box against Hull, assess the way we play and take charge the following day ready for next weekend though......

Relative Taz.

They both have good records. Mad Mick has been play-off contenders at all four teams he's managed at this level - Millwall, Sunderland, Wolves, and Ipswich.

Millwall - Play off Semi.

Sunderland - Promoted (Champions), sacked in the Prem due to a lack of funds and new signings while 16 points from safety with 10 games remaining.

Wolves - Promoted (Champions), sacked after Wolves only reinvested three quarter of player sales back into the squad during their second season in the Prem after a 15th place finish the previous campeign.

Ipwswich - While cost cutting and having a net transfer spend across 6 years of around £11m, he guided Ipswich to 14th, 9th, 6th (Lost PL Semi, vs Norwich (promoted)), 7th, 16th, 12th.

The key thing thing for me is this - McCarthy has proved he can manage a team and a dressing room with a severe lack of reinvestment. Hughton by comparison has alway's been at clubs with major financial pull and/or parachute payments, Brighton completely smashed the FFP guidelines when they went up.

We're the middle ground, so in theory, McCarthy has much better experience working via financial constraints, and proved he can pick a player - Adam Webster anyone?

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Ooooh, oooh, ooooh, got into second paragraph and Rosenior came up.  Hughton no1, Rosenior in as no2?  Rosenior a coach at Derby at the mo’.

I like that kind of set up!

ROSENIOR SAYS: "What's been great for me is that he has done the roles of assistant or U21 coach, so he understands how difficult it can be to work with lower age groups. He knows everything he needs to know about every player in the academy and that's really big for Brighton because we are trying to get players through the first-team. The lads look up to him."

SIDWELL SAYS: I agree. It is very difficult coming up with a team because you can't start changing too much. You can't go 3-5-2 in one game then 4-4-2 in another game. It's not about that, it's basically about sticking to the principles that got you there and being well-drilled.

You won't find many better-drilled units than Brighton at the moment in terms of individuals knowing their roles. That's what he does. He plays to the side's strengths and that goes through everyone in the squad and influences recruitment as well. Players have got to fit into his system."

These are exactly the same quotes I picked out of that article. 

Great to recognise his experience of working with youth teams, but it was Sidwells comment that did it for me: No chopping and changing. A set formation and personnel, playing to the strengths of the individuals in the team and making them well drilled.

Everything LJ didn’t do by choice. No coincidence one of our best runs under LJ came when we had a million injuries and his selection options were limited. 

The more i read about Hughton the more impressed I am, and the more I want him in the job  

I know little about Hughton but he seems to tick a lot of boxes and certainly the upgrade that we need. SL has learnt from rugby that if you add quality right at the top then the rest will follow, pretty much like any other business really. Get a person in who knows what they are doing ( experience) and can motivate and people will want to work for them. 

On the flip side though how would someone like Houghton take to our set up regarding Mark Ashton etc? Will we be seeking only managers/head coaches that can work like this or will we be willing to change? Perhaps many clubs are set up like this now and it won’t be a hurdle to over come? 

Anyway, from my limited knowledge of Hughton, my opinion for what it is worth is that it might be very much our loss if someone like Birmingham ( never go back!) gets him. We have superb facilities in the stadium now, and with the training ground too. Off field we are stable and patient, a huge plus. We haven’t got too many quality players though compared to some, we have potential and with the right person motivating and training we should be able to get more out of them. During the match on Saturday it looked like they were playing in 30 degree heat, not the rain as they looked so lethargic. That wasn’t right at all. 

27 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Great to recognise his experience of working with youth teams, but it was Sidwells comment that did it for me: No chopping and changing. A set formation and personnel, playing to the strengths of the individuals in the team and making them well drilled.

Or to put it simply - an identity 

Something LJ banged on about but never actually achieved due to his obsession with constant tinkering. 

11 hours ago, GlastonburyRed said:

Has Jamie McA gone with LJ or has he stuck around with Deano?

It’ll be interesting to see if McAllister leaves at the end of the season as Holden surely will do and sticks around. Not sure I could call it either way at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

It’ll be interesting to see if McAllister leaves at the end of the season as Holden surely will do and sticks around. Not sure I could call it either way at the moment.

Sounds harsh but I want them all gone. They’re all part of a coaching team that seems to have completely stifled and inhibited any creativity we have in what is a very talented squad.

It’s time for fresh ideas. 

30 minutes ago, Mr X said:

They all need to go.

3 hours ago, deadredfred said:

These are exactly the same quotes I picked out of that article. 

Everything LJ didn’t do by choice. No coincidence one of our best runs under LJ came when we had a million injuries and his selection options were limited. 

The more i read about Hughton the more impressed I am, and the more I want him in the job  

Me too.  I just got asked to name who I’d go for.  There are probably a dozen I’d be happy with, but Hughton shades it for me....add in Rosenior and I think you’d have a really good combo.

Ive been luke warm on him previously, because I thought he’d go for a Prem job.

Archived