IGNORED

Ryan Lowe - EP plugging

Antman

2 years as manager, 2 promotions, 1 with Bury and 1 with Plymouth. 100% promotion record.

I first noticed him as a pundit during Sky's play off coverage last season, he speaks incredibly well and has a reputation for playing great football.

Whether he can organise a defence is anyone's guess, Bury seemed to concede a few but Plymouth less so.

Likeable, lively personality, would get the fans onside.

7 minutes ago, Antman said:

anyone know anything about this one? the Post furiously flogging this story.

i know nothing of the man or his style.

(If this exists as another thread, do move it)

I think the football would be a lot more exciting, seems to be popular down here in Devon. Whether he could improve our current position......it'd be a huge gamble but so would any manager, he'd just be cheaper than the others 

Bury were promoted because they spent a lot of money they didn't have on players. We all know the consequences of that.

I suspect they would have got nowhere near promotion if the club had lived within its means. I'm not sure how much credit Lowe can take for that promotion therefore.

I'd certainly take Lowe over a stale appointment from the managerial merry go round. There are candidates on the bookies' favourites list I'd prefer but I'd take him over, say, Pulis, Allardyce, Karaka, Phil Neville, McClaren or Roy Keane.

It'd be a bold appointment in its own way but fans would be quick to get on SL's back and claim we should have gone for a bigger name if we did not challenge. 

2 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

I hate to say it but Im putting my money on Mr Lowe.

I dont pretend to be ITK, not by any means, no way, however a little bird up here in Leeds whose involved in the game has told me to put a tenner on Lowe, so tomorrow thats exactly what I will do.

Just the disappointing appointment we all expect anyway..

If spending money guaranteed success then City would be in the play-offs.

He is a driven, astute and attack minded manager.  Seems a great man manager and is very popular with the fans.

Burnley, Wolves and a few other successful clubs haven't resorted to filling managerial vacancies with the usual 'big name' managers.   They have done their research and taken a calculated risk rather than opting for the Steve Mclaren's, Mark Hughes and Sam Allardyce established name candidates who cost a lot, spend a lot and invariably disappoint.

I do see the attraction of appointing Chris Hughton or Jokanovic  but beyond that, the obsession with appointing tired old predictable 'big' names perplexes me.  If anyone looks a bit deeper and sees the professionalism , intelligence and attacking style of play that Ryan Lowe and his team (he always emphasises 'we') has shown then they might not be so quick to dismiss him.

Most of the big names wouldn't buy into the Club philosophy of bringing through young players.  I'm not sure LJ did really. Apparently some of the players coming through the academy are highly talented.  I'd like to see a manager who genuinely supports their pathway to the first team and has a close-knit and small (in numbers) squad (like Burnley and Wolves) and brings in young players when needed.  I'm not sure any of the managerial merry go round big names would buy into that.

8 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

I dont pretend to be ITK, not by any means, no way, however a little bird up here in Leeds whose involved in the game has told me to put a tenner on Lowe, so tomorrow thats exactly what I will do.

That's interesting.. I'm sure you've been right on a couple of things in the past too. Might have my wires crossed on that one though.

Nice video of him here.. I am warming to the idea of him I must admit

8 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Is she called Mrs Lowe ?

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's interesting.. I'm sure you've been right on a couple of things in the past too. Might have my wires crossed on that one though.

Nice video of him here.. I am warming to the idea of him I must admit

Watching this I thought the opposite. Struck me as very lower league which is fine, but we want prem football.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Did you watch it before I posted it? I only posted it 9 minutes ago and the video is 14 mins!

Yes. Talked about Plymouth being a bigger club than they realised, Sawyer spoke about how players came with him from bury, etc

44 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I think the football would be a lot more exciting, seems to be popular down here in Devon. Whether he could improve our current position......it'd be a huge gamble but so would any manager, he'd just be cheaper than the others 

I had a look on Pasoti earlier. They seem to want him to stay but would wish him well if we came calling.

22 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

What’s her name?!

54 minutes ago, Antman said:

anyone know anything about this one? the Post furiously flogging this story.

i know nothing of the man or his style.

(If this exists as another thread, do move it)

He’s done ok in the basement division apparently but he’s never managed above league two ...

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Saw Plymouth in November at Forest Green and Forest Green were winning a lot at the time and were top or 2nd from what I remember.

FGR didn't create one good chance from what I remember. Plymouth won 1-0, but didn't play particular nice football.

But apparently they do usually play great stuff. And makes sense to go away and spoil the game a bit against a side who passed the ball like FGR.

He played a 3142 most of the season. He seems to like working balls to the bye line and either driving low balls across goal or crossing to far post.

Reading how he plays his football is encouraging. And 2 promotions is great at any level I think.

That bloke who used to be in charge of the pikeys from South Gloucestershire won 2 promotions....would you take him ?

44 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Bury were promoted because they spent a lot of money they didn't have on players. We all know the consequences of that.

I suspect they would have got nowhere near promotion if the club had lived within its means. I'm not sure how much credit Lowe can take for that promotion therefore.

Did they? At Bury he brought in eleven players, all on free transfers after releasing/selling eleven players - that doesn’t seem too extravagant ...

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Did they? At Bury he brought in eleven players, all on free transfers after releasing/selling eleven players - that doesn’t seem too extravagant ...

The money was spent on massive wages I’d presume. The likes of Chris Kirkland, Jermaine Pennant, James Vaughan, Ishmael Miller, Paul Caddis, Jermaine Beckford, Joe Murphy and Nicky Maynard would not have come cheaply. Especially considering their attendances, which can’t have been more than a few thousand it’s no wonder those big name signings put them in trouble 

1 hour ago, tin said:

Nothing but clickbait guff based on the latest bookies’ odds. 

Would be very underwhelming if true.

This. Would be massively annoyed if we once again went with the cheap option. 

Lot of the fans problem with LJ was he wasn't a tried and tested manager. He was a former player with a coaching badge. 

Think vasg majority of fans, whilst thank Lee for what he did, want to move onwards and upwards, and make positive steps forward by hiring a top coaching team. We've got all the foundations to challenge for play offs/promotion, but lacking the coaching/management team. 

Fill this slot, and most fans will be happy. Getting a L2 manager doesn't exactly fill me with excitement. It's early days, you'd like to think we've got a shortlist, and Houghton is top of that list, he might turn us down, but I'd like to think we aim higher than a lower league manager. 

Archived