IGNORED

Ryan Lowe - EP plugging

Antman

16 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

The money was spent on massive wages I’d presume. The likes of Chris Kirkland, Jermaine Pennant, James Vaughan, Ishmael Miller, Paul Caddis, Jermaine Beckford, Joe Murphy and Nicky Maynard would not have come cheaply. Especially considering their attendances, which can’t have been more than a few thousand it’s no wonder those big name signings put them in trouble 

Yes, but of that list only Nicky Maynard was brought in by Ryan Lowe ... and Chris Kirkland was brought in two years before Lowe’s reign but left almost straightaway without playing a game due to mental health issues ... so he wouldn’t have cost them much

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yes, but of that list only Nicky Maynard was brought in by Ryan Lowe ... and Chris Kirkland was brought in two years before Lowe’s reign but left almost straightaway without playing a game due to mental health issues ... so he wouldn’t have cost them much

And relied on those players, on huge wages, to get his side promoted in the first place. So although he hadn’t brought them in he’d have surely known how the money they were paying was threatening the club long term

1 hour ago, YorkshireSection said:

I hate to say it but Im putting my money on Mr Lowe.

I dont pretend to be ITK, not by any means, no way, however a little bird up here in Leeds whose involved in the game has told me to put a tenner on Lowe, so tomorrow thats exactly what I will do.

Wow, Only a tenner! You seem confident. 

1 hour ago, YorkshireSection said:

I hate to say it but Im putting my money on Mr Lowe.

I dont pretend to be ITK, not by any means, no way, however a little bird up here in Leeds whose involved in the game has told me to put a tenner on Lowe, so tomorrow thats exactly what I will do.

Why are you waiting until tomorrow?!

8 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

And relied on those players, on huge wages, to get his side promoted in the first place. So although he hadn’t brought them in he’d have surely known how the money they were paying was threatening the club long term

But you quoted a list of: Chris Kirkland, Jermaine Pennant, James Vaughan, Ishmael Miller, Paul Caddis, Jermaine Beckford, Joe Murphy and Nicky Maynard, brought in “on huge wages to get his side promoted” - in the season that Ryan Lowe got Bury FC promoted as manager, of your list, only Beckford, Murphy and Maynard were at the club ...

1 hour ago, bcfcnick said:

If spending money guaranteed success then City would be in the play-offs.

He is a driven, astute and attack minded manager.  Seems a great man manager and is very popular with the fans.

Burnley, Wolves and a few other successful clubs haven't resorted to filling managerial vacancies with the usual 'big name' managers.   They have done their research and taken a calculated risk rather than opting for the Steve Mclaren's, Mark Hughes and Sam Allardyce established name candidates who cost a lot, spend a lot and invariably disappoint.

I do see the attraction of appointing Chris Hughton or Jokanovic  but beyond that, the obsession with appointing tired old predictable 'big' names perplexes me.  If anyone looks a bit deeper and sees the professionalism , intelligence and attacking style of play that Ryan Lowe and his team (he always emphasises 'we') has shown then they might not be so quick to dismiss him.

Most of the big names wouldn't buy into the Club philosophy of bringing through young players.  I'm not sure LJ did really. Apparently some of the players coming through the academy are highly talented.  I'd like to see a manager who genuinely supports their pathway to the first team and has a close-knit and small (in numbers) squad (like Burnley and Wolves) and brings in young players when needed.  I'm not sure any of the managerial merry go round big names would buy into that.

Wolves perhaps not the best example. Check the Mendes-Nuno relationship. He also managed Valencia and Porto prior to Wolves, both in the CL and think Valencia 3rd/4th in La Liga.

He was amply equipped for this level. A lot of those 'big names' are just tired and overhyped but Nuno ticks more boxes than them or did prior to joining Wolves, in any case.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's interesting.. I'm sure you've been right on a couple of things in the past too. Might have my wires crossed on that one though.

Nice video of him here.. I am warming to the idea of him I must admit

Very interesting, thanks for posing PF.

He seems a likeable and inspirational character - both to players and fans - and comes over very much as a winner.

Crucially already proven on his CV, albeit at a lower level, and his determination to achieve success through entertaining football is admirable imo.

Perhaps the wrong time for City, but there again if he goes to another Championship club within a year and continues to be successful we may regret being cautious now.

It would be a gamble - aren't they all - but an intriguing one, and I don't think attending AG would be boring, that's for sure.

I would be all for this. Can see him getting the best out of the likes of Walsh, Morrell, Moore, Vyner etc.

I certainly would agree, however, the appointment would divide the fan base and he would have to get off to a good start else I can just imagine the reaction. Early on in the season he had Argyle fans doubting him but he always insisted he would get them promoted.

He certainly backs himself. I don't think you can overlook 2 promotions in 2 seasons as a manager either. It's impressive regardless of the league or team it was achieved with.

1 hour ago, bcfcnick said:

If spending money guaranteed success then City would be in the play-offs.

He is a driven, astute and attack minded manager.  Seems a great man manager and is very popular with the fans.

Burnley, Wolves and a few other successful clubs haven't resorted to filling managerial vacancies with the usual 'big name' managers.   They have done their research and taken a calculated risk rather than opting for the Steve Mclaren's, Mark Hughes and Sam Allardyce established name candidates who cost a lot, spend a lot and invariably disappoint.

I do see the attraction of appointing Chris Hughton or Jokanovic  but beyond that, the obsession with appointing tired old predictable 'big' names perplexes me.  If anyone looks a bit deeper and sees the professionalism , intelligence and attacking style of play that Ryan Lowe and his team (he always emphasises 'we') has shown then they might not be so quick to dismiss him.

Most of the big names wouldn't buy into the Club philosophy of bringing through young players.  I'm not sure LJ did really. Apparently some of the players coming through the academy are highly talented.  I'd like to see a manager who genuinely supports their pathway to the first team and has a close-knit and small (in numbers) squad (like Burnley and Wolves) and brings in young players when needed.  I'm not sure any of the managerial merry go round big names would buy into that.

Some really good points here. 

On the face of it Lowe would not excite me but, at the same time, I do feel a lot of people on here are limiting themselves to a formula for a "successful" appointment that would have led to a lot of successful managers elsewhere never getting appointed.

If we limited ourselves to a manager who had

a) Championship experience and

b) A track record of at least one promotion to the Premier League

then that would mean Bournemouth should never have appointed Howe, Burnley should never appointed Dyche, Norwich should never have appointed Farke, Huddersfield should never have appointed Wagner, Brentford should never appointed Frank, Fulham should never have appointed Parker, Forest should never have appointed Lamouchi, Cardiff should never have appointed Harris, Villa should never have appointed Smith and Sheffield United should never have appointed Wilder, to name just a few.

And I do think there is a certain irony that many on this boards aspire for us to see Brentford, Sheffield United, Burnley or Bournemouth as a model to follow but would baulk at the gambles those clubs took on the managers that have succeeded for them.

Lowe is not my first choice but he, like any manager, would get my support if he got the job and I do think far too many people kid themselves there is an obvious formula for a successful Championship appointments when most of the most successful appointments clubs around us have made are the ones that do not follow the template for an obviously successful appointment. 

On paper, using the current side his 3-4-1-2 would probably suit us. He likes his wing backs to bomb forward.

Bentley

Moore Kalas Baker

New RWB Smith Nagy Dasilva

Palmer

Afobe Wells

One genuine selling point of Lowe for Lansdown, is he may be prepared to utilise the players already at his disposal and isn't afraid to play youngsters. Our squad is actually very strong individually it's just horrendously lacking in confidence, direction and tactical structure/consistency.

He used at least two of Argyle's relegated centre backs from League 1 and has turned them into players their fans are now happy to keep when they return. 

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's interesting.. I'm sure you've been right on a couple of things in the past too. Might have my wires crossed on that one though.

Nice video of him here.. I am warming to the idea of him I must admit

A good insight into the man, I must say I was quite impressed, wouldn't be down hearted if he did get the job, it will be interesting to see how things pan out ?

Is a manager with 1 promotion on his CV statistically more likely to get promoted than a manager with none?

The current top two are Bielsa and Bilic. They've both had success at other clubs but have never before got a team out of this division.

Then you've got Parker, Frank, Lamouchi and Harris currently in the play offs. Again, not a Championship promotion between them.

Last season was Farke, Wilder and Smith, again not a single Championship promotion prior to last season.

The idea that we have to appoint a manger who has already achieved promotion from this division is a false logic. You just don't know what someone is capable of.

If Lowe is hungry for success, able to manage a group of egotistical, competitive, young men, and plays football that's good to watch, then I'd be delighted with him.

Not saying he's my first choice but to write him off purely because he's "not done it before" is shortsighted.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Is a manager with 1 promotion on his CV statistically more likely to get promoted than a manager with none?

The current top two are Bielsa and Bilic. They've both had success at other clubs but have never before got a team out of this division.

Then you've got Parker, Frank, Lamouchi and Harris currently in the play offs. Again, not a Championship promotion between them.

Last season was Farke, Nuno and Smith, again not a single Championship promotion prior to last season.

The idea that we have to appoint a manger who has already achieved promotion from this division is a false logic. You just don't know what someone is capable of.

If Lowe is hungry for success, able to manage a group of egotistical, competitive, young men, and plays football that's good to watch, then I'd be delighted with him.

Not saying he's my first choice but to write him off purely because he's "not done it before" is shortsighted.

People also seem to forget that every single one of these 'proven championship' promotion winners, once started with 0 promotions to their name.

Archived