IGNORED

Paul Cook?

23 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No he didn't, SC was chosen by his pal Keith Dawe.

SL's record on managers is pretty poor.  His first one IIRC was picking Tony Pulis over Peter Taylor.

I'd argue the only one that was successful was GJ, with LJ and DW as middle of the road and the rest as pretty negative.

3 minutes ago, Nibor said:

SL's record on managers is pretty poor.  His first one IIRC was picking Tony Pulis over Peter Taylor.

I'd argue the only one that was successful was GJ, with LJ and DW as middle of the road and the rest as pretty negative.

Quite, I think although he had his fingers burnt with Copell he hasn’t exactly had success with any yes men since then has he? Mcinnes was a disaster so he knows not to choose someone without championship experience, especially as the brief will be promo within 2 years 

47 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Quite, I think although he had his fingers burnt with Copell he hasn’t exactly had success with any yes men since then has he? Mcinnes was a disaster so he knows not to choose someone without championship experience, especially as the brief will be promo within 2 years 

From an English experience perspective I cant see any better options than the 3 amigos....hughton cook or jokanovic 

46 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

I'd be very interested to know why Coppell walked.  There was a bloke who had seemingly a perfect record and a lot of respect in the game, and he leaves so quickly.  There were rumours about the James signing and SL interfering but those were largely coming from the gossipy old women in the supporter's club who barely knew what day of the week it was so it was hard to give them any credence.  There must have been a real reason.

7 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I'd be very interested to know why Coppell walked.  There was a bloke who had seemingly a perfect record and a lot of respect in the game, and he leaves so quickly.  There were rumours about the James signing and SL interfering but those were largely coming from the gossipy old women in the supporter's club who barely knew what day of the week it was so it was hard to give them any credence.  There must have been a real reason.

Tbh i think it was mental health, similar story at Man City.

1 hour ago, Hare Island said:

Hope you’re right, just don’t think Cook is the right fit. Personality, our location, his CV all wrong

Beginning to think that Quique Sanchez Flores and Jokanovic will be near the top of the list, possibly above Hughton. I’d be very happy with any of those three. 

What do you mean by the bit in bold?

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

Pulis did have the last laugh over Taylor in the end though.

I'm no fan of Pulis but he kept Stoke up, built them up, returned, built them up a bit again, took them up. Several years in PL with Stoke, including an FA Cup final, into Europe (the first was beyond us since 1980- top flight, the second since 1909 was it, the last- well, never)!

Did well to keep Portsmouth up, Plymouth up pre either of these- Taylor surely improved style of play and took Gillingham up but Pulis was building that side further.

He's actually had a solid track record in many places. Except here.

What's Peter Taylor doing these days?

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pulis did have the last laugh over Taylor in the end though.

I'm no fan of Pulis but he kept Stoke up, built them up, returned, built them up a bit again, took them up. Several years in PL with Stoke, including an FA Cup final, into Europe (the first was beyond us since 1980- top flight, the second since 1909 was it, the last- well, never)!

Did well to keep Portsmouth up, Plymouth up pre either of these- Taylor surely improved style of play and took Gillingham up but Pulis was building that side further.

He's actually had a solid track record in many places. Except here.

What's Peter Taylor doing these days?

No idea but I have no doubt that Taylor would have done better for us than that crook Pulis.  He wouldn't have sold Akinbiyi to make a few quid for his own pocket for a start.  He probably wouldn't have lumbered us with Hutchings, Mortimer, Jones, Holland, Beadle and Burns either!  I don't care what Pulis has done since, he's a corrupt scumbag as far as I'm concerned!

14 minutes ago, Nibor said:

No idea but I have no doubt that Taylor would have done better for us than that crook Pulis.  He wouldn't have sold Akinbiyi to make a few quid for his own pocket for a start.  He probably wouldn't have lumbered us with Hutchings, Mortimer, Jones, Holland, Beadle and Burns either!  I don't care what Pulis has done since, he's a corrupt scumbag as far as I'm concerned!

Fair yeah. No fan of Pulis as I say, he was an awful fit for us- wasn't aware of the reasoning behind the Akinbyi sale either/at least one of the motives. Ex Rovers too, always an uphill battle right there...

Was Beadle so bad? Thought Hutchings predated Pulis, but yeah it was an unhappy time and a happy day indeed when he left!

He also signed Mercer though- good keeper and would've been an excellent addition if not for injuries. Millen too- don't recall much about his playing days here granted.

4 hours ago, RedSkin said:

McInnes has proven himself a success before and after City.  I think we were disaster at that time!!

McInnes' side played some good stuff at times. Beat Saints home and away when they got promoted and drew with West Ham twice that season. Started the next on fire hammering Cardiff and Palace and then got seriously hooped by injuries to everyone that played in defence. Admittedly we bought poorly to try and cover injuries and lost form. I liked Derek and enjoyed a lot of games while he was in charge. 

8 hours ago, Nibor said:

He also picked Pulis over David Moyes (before he went to Everton) as per the below quote from Moyes a few years back.  

"I would never say no, that's for sure. I was very close to becoming Bristol City manager before Tony Pulis went - I was close to it. I was manager of Preston and I was having quite regular contact with Bristol City at the time."

9 hours ago, Nibor said:

I thought it was Pulis instead of Moyes.

Coleman is a shocking manager! We need a leader with a track record of achievement. To put it in simple terms someone who outperforms their wage position in the league with actual position.

tbf to Johnson he had been achieving that until this season, but the performance levels and results dropping off at a time where our wages increased was never going to end well for him!

3 hours ago, Hare Island said:

I think we need someone with championship promotion and/or success in a top league. Someone for whom City is an exciting project rather than a step up.

By that reckoning you could argue that if they had those things on their cv, they might see us as a step down? ?

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

By that reckoning you could argue that if they had those things on their cv, they might see us as a step down? ?

That's my big concern with a name/someone high profile/someone who's done it before; would they really want to be at Bristol City, and would they genuinely be motivated to succeed? To often in the past (admittedly with players mostly) the answer has been a resounding no.

The thought of Cook's appointment is starting to really grow on me.

Can't see too many minus points with this guy tbh.

Wondering if Hughton might be too obvious a choice.

I'd personally prefer Cook, but I have the funny feeling this Plymouth guy is gonna get it.

9 minutes ago, Nibor said:

My memory says Taylor but this was about 1999 and I think I was drunk that year.

You're both right. Pulis, somehow, beat Moyes and Taylor to the job. In Moyes' case, he was flying back from a family holiday in Florida to take the job. When he landed, he found out it had gone to Pulis. 

10 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'd personally prefer Cook, but I have the funny feeling this Plymouth guy is gonna get it.

If we get Ryan Lowe ill be completely underwhelmed. Might be up and coming etc, but no experience at this level. Imagine what pros like Kalas will think. 

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

If we get Ryan Lowe ill be completely underwhelmed. Might be up and coming etc, but no experience at this level. Imagine what pros like Kalas will think. 

One of the arguments against LJ was that his playing experience was mainly yeovil Bristol city and kilmarnock.....and he was managing the likes of kalas o Neil etc who had prem experience.

If we then go for Lowe who spent most of his career at Bury how will players react?

1 minute ago, Lez said:

If we then go for Lowe who spent most of his career at Bury how will players react?

Exactly. Most of them i suspect will be "Ryan who?". 

No disrespect to the bloke but that happens it will be a bewildering moment for most fans and players.

2 minutes ago, Lez said:

One of the arguments against LJ was that his playing experience was mainly yeovil Bristol city and kilmarnock.....and he was managing the likes of kalas o Neil etc who had prem experience.

It is a concern, some players will only respect those who have played at as high or higher level than them - at least to start with.  A very good leader will sort that out quickly but it will make it harder to get started. 

Archived