IGNORED

Paul Cook?

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Cook would be cheaper than Hughton as well - probably significantly cheaper. What was Johnson on ? 500 grand a year ? Hughton would be more expensive again

We don’t know that.  Compensation to Wigan, plus his wages don’t forget.

43 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Or a chance to get themselves back where they belong and prove a point?

Yes.  Just saying you can look at CV’s in either way.

21 minutes ago, Lez said:

One of the arguments against LJ was that his playing experience was mainly yeovil Bristol city and kilmarnock.....and he was managing the likes of kalas o Neil etc who had prem experience.

If we then go for Lowe who spent most of his career at Bury how will players react?

One of the arguments against LJ, was that all bar about 30 games of his playing career were under his dad.  He only really saw one method / approach.  Everything else he learned was theory.  Ok, I know it’s not as simple as that, but he’s only played under one manager and the missing link for me is, he’s never coached under anyone else either at pro level.  He’s never been a no2, never been an assistant coach.  He’s not learned under anyone other than his dad or on a coaching course.  Yes, he mentions mentors, but you need someone close at hand to guide you, not a 10 minute call to Kenny or Marwood.  They aren’t mentors, they are people willing to give a bit of time to a young, hungry coach.  His mentor was his dad....for good or bad.

Re Ryan Lowe.

A lower league career under many, many managers (again for good and for bad).  I have no idea who his influences were, although he is mates with Steven Gerrard....but if I was to guess, it would be Alan Knill at Bury.  Alan Knill is assistant to Chris Wilder!

He isn’t top of my list, but I see the attraction with two promotions:

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

One of the arguments against LJ, was that all bar about 30 games of his playing career were under his dad.  He only really saw one method / approach.  Everything else he learned was theory.  Ok, I know it’s not as simple as that, but he’s only played under one manager and the missing link for me is, he’s never coached under anyone else either at pro level.  He’s never been a no2, never been an assistant coach.  He’s not learned under anyone other than his dad or on a coaching course.  Yes, he mentions mentors, but you need someone close at hand to guide you, not a 10 minute call to Kenny or Marwood.  They aren’t mentors, they are people willing to give a bit of time to a young, hungry coach.  His mentor was his dad....for good or bad.

Re Ryan Lowe.

A lower league career under many, many managers (again for good and for bad).  I have no idea who his influences were, although he is mates with Steven Gerrard....but if I was to guess, it would be Alan Knill at Bury.  Alan Knill is assistant to Chris Wilder!

That old stand at Plymouth gets weirder every time I see it!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Re Ryan Lowe.

Let's be real about this... there's nothing "incredible" about the team talk or anything on that video. 

He seems like a likeable footy scouser but there's nothing especially impressive on that film. 

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

Let's be real about this... there's nothing "incredible" about the team talk or anything on that video

He seems like a likeable footy scouser but there's nothing especially impressive on that film. 

I thought exactly the same Mozo.

I put it up for people to watch and see what they thought.

11 hours ago, harvey54 said:

McInnes' side played some good stuff at times. Beat Saints home and away when they got promoted and drew with West Ham twice that season. Started the next on fire hammering Cardiff and Palace and then got seriously hooped by injuries to everyone that played in defence. Admittedly we bought poorly to try and cover injuries and lost form. I liked Derek and enjoyed a lot of games while he was in charge. 

As I recall we were linked with Garry Monk around late August 2012, on loan. 

I think we ultimately needed to go down and reset but he'd have been in a strong addition. Leadership, experience.

Sliding doors moment maybe for that season and his tenure here?

On 05/07/2020 at 20:55, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

I reckon we could do a lot worse than this man for a variety of reasons.

Achieved promotions with chesterfield, Pompey and Wigan so clearly knows how to organise teams and get them over the line.

is known for going on cup runs with his teams-remember Wigan beating Man City?

He has achieved miracles at wigan with a wage bill about a third of ours (C.£11m a year), also they always give us a really tough game and his team are on fire with 7 wins in a row and 1 goal conceded!

I like his passion (his voice has always gone in post match interviews) And think he’s a good motivator.

he should be relatively cheap and easy to get given Wigan’s issues at the moment?

anyone else agree?

?

Archived