IGNORED

Richie Wellens a possible?

Leveller

No inside knowledge here, but if Lowe has a shout, so surely does Wellens?

I'm not recommending him but he's done well at Swindon and Alan Nixon has tweeted that RW would be his choice.

I always wanted us to sign him as a player. Perhaps now is his time. But he's not short priced so far.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Has he an ideal shape, formation?

He likes 4 3 3 with a tackler in central midfield and his two wide midfielders joining the forwards and all running their socks off. What's impressive is his knowledge of the opposition players & formations etc and leaves no stone unturned 

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

He likes 4 3 3 with a tackler in central midfield and his two wide midfielders joining the forwards and all running their socks off. What's impressive is his knowledge of the opposition players & formations etc and leaves no stone unturned 

Thanks. 

Strong tactically then, it would seem- that's a good start. The preparation sounds fantastic.

I'm not saying he'd be in my top 5 but he definitely sounds like a manager on the rise.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks. 

Strong tactically then, it would seem- that's a good start. The preparation sounds fantastic.

I'm not saying he'd be in my top 5 but he definitely sounds like a manager on the rise.

He's not scared to make changes quick in a game if your getting over run etc or drop a player if he's not been putting the effort in during a match or in training. He seems to know a lot of people in the game and often talks about learing from Fergie during his young days at united and Nigel Pearson when at Leicester 

8 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Comes with great pedigree, ambitions, plays a high tempo pressing game, lots of contacts in the game and dosen't take any messing from players etc.No he's not managed at a higher level but has tonnes of knowledge and wouldn't cost your chairman lots to get him 

Sounds good, but does he measure the grass?

14 minutes ago, Isawjonshaw said:

Sounds good, but does he measure the grass?

Oddly enough the debacle at Blackburn with players slipping was probably a nail in LJs coffin, as his grass measuring was much touted.....if you say you do that stuff, then clearly it’s shown you didn’t, it’s not a good look....

18 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Struggled at Oldham in L1 and was sacked and has managed for 18 months at L2 level.

He'd be an absurdly high-risk gamble. 

When was the last time an ambitious Championship club with top 6 aspirations hired a manager from L2?

I was going to Say Wilder but he got promotion to L1 with Northampton didt he 

I’ve never been so underwhelmed with the list of potential new managers coming to the club 

9 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Just a thought and not my choice, but John Terry springs to mind. Think Gerard and Lampard. He is odious in so many ways but could do a job.

Another in the same vain - Roy Keane - one day he will be a top manager.

Ryan Lowe - goodness no.

Roy Keane will never be a top manager. He can't control his own ego. 

10 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Roy Keane will never be a top manager. He can't control his own ego. 

Recently read his 2nd book. Did well at Sunderland, heart wasn't in it at Ipswich (mind you going by what he says, Ipswich at that time were terribly unorganised). Also by his own admission, made a lot of mistakes at Ipswich and would never make the same ones again.

If he is ready to get back into full-time management, then we could do a lot worse. Would still not be high up on my wanted list though, and I doubt that SL would even think about him as a possibility as Keane wouldn't take involvement from a higher up too lightly. Expecially if rumours are to be believed about MA/SL making signings not wanted by LJ. Let's not forget that David James was, by Coppells admission "the chairmans signing".

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Struggled at Oldham in L1 and was sacked and has managed for 18 months at L2 level.

He'd be an absurdly high-risk gamble. 

When was the last time an ambitious Championship club with top 6 aspirations hired a manager from L2?

I agree he would be a high risk but he's highly motivated, got great football knowledge, 4 years older than when Johnson took over City, knows what players he wants in his squad and definitely has a winning mentality.

As for Oldham he had the ssme problems Scholes had, players weren't getting paid, kit not getting washed, no hot weather in showrooms etc, etc and nobody would have succeeded there.

14 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I agree he would be a high risk but he's highly motivated, got great football knowledge, 4 years older than when Johnson took over City, knows what players he wants in his squad and definitely has a winning mentality.

As for Oldham he had the ssme problems Scholes had, players weren't getting paid, kit not getting washed, no hot weather in showrooms etc, etc and nobody would have succeeded there.

All sounds lovely but ultimately this job is too soon for him. If we were back in L1 then he may have been an option.

Lee Johnson has a better record than Wellens at Oldham over twice as many games. Had them in the play offs at one point when they had the third lowest wage bill in the league. 

10 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Just a thought and not my choice, but John Terry springs to mind. Think Gerard and Lampard. He is odious in so many ways but could do a job.

Another in the same vain - Roy Keane - one day he will be a top manager.

Ryan Lowe - goodness no.

It wouldn’t surprise me if someone like John Terry applied for our job. Don’t shoot the messenger, just saying we’re the type of club he might well be interested in for a first crack at management.......

23 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

All sounds lovely but ultimately this job is too soon for him. If we were back in L1 then he may have been an option.

Lee Johnson has a better record than Wellens at Oldham over twice as many games. Had them in the play offs at one point when they had the third lowest wage bill in the league. 

I agree totally it's probably too soon for such a big job but the I wouldn't read to much into the Oldham comparison as the years were in freefall when both Scholes and Wellens were there with lots going on behind the scenes and close to liquidation 

Archived