IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

Just now, Major Isewater said:

Every new coach appointment is a gamble whomever we hire we will just have to hope that he is a good fit .

You're right, but some coaches are more gambly than others. Hughton I feel is only gamblish, whereas Flynn or Lowe would be the gamblist. They would be gamblicious.

9 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Yep my work head office is in Brighton, and speak to many of their fans and season ticket holders and they definitely would never want him back.

im not sure he is the silver bullet many are making him out to be on here, but he does have the promotion on his cv so hard to overlook if he is interested.

See the attached thread from North stand chat, BHA forum 88% in the poll think he would be a good fit for our club.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?381076-If-you-re-Bristol-City-who-do-you-appoint

It seems he lost his way in the premiership but was excellent in the championship.

13 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Serious question. Why would Hughton take a job with a mid table championship club with no pedigree when several bigger jobs could be available to him in the next 6 months i.e Villa, West Ham, Watford, Palace, Norwich

The man is 61 yrs old does he want another few years battling to get out of the Championship ? Does he have the hunger ? or would he prefer a nice fat contract for a few years in the Premier League.

He's been out of work for over a year. If he was high on the list of managers premier league clubs wanted to employ, he'd have been back in work again. That's not to say he wouldn't get a job with a bigger club, but of the ones you mention:

I think Villa will stick with Smith

Norwich have had Hughton before and the fans are not that complimentary

Watford don't seem to do British managers any more

West Ham will have higher ambitions than Hughton is likely to fulfill

I think we need to be realistic about who Chris Hughton is; a brilliant championship manager and a good man to keep you in the Prem, but that's probably it

6 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

He's been out of work for over a year. If he was high on the list of managers premier league clubs wanted to employ, he'd have been back in work again. That's not to say he wouldn't get a job with a bigger club, but of the ones you mention:

I think Villa will stick with Smith

Norwich have had Hughton before and the fans are not that complimentary

Watford don't seem to do British managers any more

West Ham will have higher ambitions than Hughton is likely to fulfill

I think we need to be realistic about who Chris Hughton is; a brilliant championship manager and a good man to keep you in the Prem, but that's probably it

I think that last sentence is what we need no?

10 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Excellent! I’ll take it

So long as he doesn’t mention Europe in the next 5 years 

2 hours ago, Fatknacker said:

As a Sussex resident now, and with many friends who are life long Seagulls ST holders, I can say with confidence none of them would have Hughton back in any capacity. Their view was, his negativity sucked the life out of the team, he actually spent a lot of money in his last year, for a Brighton type club, and not much of it was thought good value. As a man he is highly regarded, not do much as a manager.
Let’s find someone, younger, with ambition and without a detailed knowledge of everything which could go wrong.

Don’t agree at all. His championship experience of promotion is what we need . The negative football came whilst trying to stave off relegation  from the prem . Let’s not run before we can walk . If we’ve got the chance of appointing someone of the calibre of Chris Hughton , then take it. 

As a Sussex resident now, and with many friends who are life long Seagulls ST holders, I can say with confidence none of them would have Hughton back in any capacity. Their view was, his negativity sucked the life out of the team, he actually spent a lot of money in his last year, for a Brighton type club, and not much of it was thought good value. As a man he is highly regarded, not do much as a manager.
Let’s find someone, younger, with ambition and without a detailed knowledge of everything which could go wrong.

Don’t agree at all. His championship experience of promotion is what we need . The negative football came whilst trying to stave off relegation  from the prem . Let’s not run before we can walk . If we’ve got the chance of appointing someone of the calibre of Chris Hughton , then take it. 

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

And , that in particular, maybe a sticking point.

Does anyone know what our budget will be for next season ? 

When will the stadia be open to paying customers ?

How much TV money is going to be paid out ? 

At least now we know we are budgeting for another Championship campaign .

image.thumb.png.50c0c1fdaba9132417af9619221dafeb.png

ok, so these will be a year out of date.

If we assume all of next season is behind closed doors, and 50% of season card sales are replaced by Robinstv, match day and a vast chunk commercial revenues are lost....I reckon you are looking at a deficit  of £6m!!

So revenues of about £12m

That has to support a wage bill, operating costs and amortisation of player contracts to the tune of £50m.

That looks pretty stark doesn’t it.

However, ignoring FFP changes (because I haven’t got my head around them yet), we have positioned ourselves well for the 3 years (2017/18, 18/19 and this year 19/20)

image.thumb.png.3ac26384512d464addfa15d4459cfa4a.png
For the next 3 year cycle, 18/19, 19/20, and 20/21, we’ve lost that big loss in 17/18, so we are in a decent position.

We can’t go mad, but I would expect a new manager to be able to spend what he generates as long as the wage bill doesn’t grow stupidly.

51 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

See the attached thread from North stand chat, BHA forum 88% in the poll think he would be a good fit for our club.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?381076-If-you-re-Bristol-City-who-do-you-appoint

It seems he lost his way in the premiership but was excellent in the championship.

“It seems he lost his way in the premiership but was excellent in the championship.”

That last sentence would be a great one if it was us taking about Hughton as our manager in 3-4 years time! 

Clearly they don't post on the Brighton forum then!

image.thumb.png.2de6650ebfe4cc2bb7a25b9ab34a882b.png

image.png.31b6fadd32d6a5efcd0a182387243b36.pngimage.thumb.png.18f2beeac38ea421c785793a64f581ee.png

image.thumb.png.ef57d7a2a4777b0cfce13d7573247dda.png

image.thumb.png.e415f6f15790bbc684449757130bd7ba.png

image.png.4cb7d8a28017dbdd715af8e940ce2543.png

image.png.5b889a114c1ec70f200ff7dc9dec54f9.png

It's not often you see fans talk about an ex-manager so highly. It's hard to think of too many of ours who'd get the above comments!

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Just imagining the meltdown on here if SL chooses Flynn over Hughton.

Absolutely!

Not been the same since he split from Robson Green.

They are speaking purely about the last 6-12 months of his tenure in the Premier League. Whether Brighton fans would welcome him back to their club, which currently resides in the Premier League, has no bearing or relevance on whether he would be the right appointment for us, currently a mid-table Championship side. 

I would be happy with either Hughton or McCarthy (with Terry Connor as assistant). 

Hughton - He would definitely see us as a top 6 side within 2 years. Has the pull of players at this level. I think like Brighton, a similar sized club to our own, he suits us. Well measured man and calm. He would be a step up in professionalism at the club.

McCarthy - Has done well at every club he has been at, at this level. He may be boring, but he would almost definitely come here out of all the big names people have mentioned. He would also improve us. His Ipswich sides were decent considering the money they had, has contacts. I think having Terry Connor as assistant would be great considering Connor knows the Club and are a good pairing. He reminds me of a better version of Steve Cotterill.

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They are speaking purely about the last 6-12 months of his tenure in the Premier League. Whether Brighton fans would welcome him back to their club, which currently resides in the Premier League, has no bearing or relevance on whether he would be the right appointment for us, currently a mid-table Championship side. 

Exactly. With a few exceptions, the last few months of any managers reign is usually forgettable. He's just right for what we need now.

3 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Exactly. With a few exceptions, the last few months of any managers reign is usually forgettable. He's just right for what we need now.

How many of our fans would take Steve Cotterill back now? Very few. But would I recommend him as a good managerial appointment for say, Sunderland in L1? Absolutely. 

25 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

“It seems he lost his way in the premiership but was excellent in the championship.”

That last sentence would be a great one if it was us taking about Hughton as our manager in 3-4 years time! 

Exactly, I'd rather be in the Premier League with Brighton's 'problems' than pissing around in the lower leagues as per usual

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Hughton - He would definitely see us as a top 6 side within 2 years.

Although I agree with your assessment of Chris Hughton, I would say to you what I'd say to any City fan: There are no definites in football.

It's why we're all fascinated by the game - so many variables.

For a start, even with good managers, luck comes into it: a critical injury to a key player can derail a season if it falls at the wrong time.

Then there's the manager himself: they are human and off-field events and sometimes just the ageing process itself, can affect their judgement.

Plus there are other factors in the mix. Mark Ashton is a major factor in our recruitment, and we've heard rumours of how much Steve Lansdown can get involved as well. Not all those rumours are necessarily true, but it's clear the degree any manager operates to his own agenda here depends on his ability to interact well with Ashton and Lansdown and get them to buy into his vision. That can be a personality issue as much as it can be a talent one.

I personally "voted" for Jokanovic, but I'd be happy if we landed Hughton.  It would at least signal that we're a club with ambition. 

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

How many of our fans would take Steve Cotterill back now? Very few. But would I recommend him as a good managerial appointment for say, Sunderland in L1? Absolutely. 

Yes exactly. We should not go on what Brighton say about Hughton in the Premier League. I can guarantee you 95% of their fanbase would say he was brilliant in the Championship. Because he was and when he took over them they finished 20th the season before.

I have lived in Brighton for 25 years, seen a lot of his football and know a lot of guys who watch Brighton and all have said he would be a great fit in the championship the same asd I feel.

He will get promotions to the prem, stabilise and then would need replacing for the next level..

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Although I agree with your assessment of Chris Hughton, I would say to you what I'd say to any City fan: There are no definites in football.

It's why we're all fascinated by the game - so many variables.

For a start, even with good managers, luck comes into it: a critical injury to a key player can derail a season if it falls at the wrong time.

Then there's the manager himself: they are human and off-field events and sometimes just the ageing process itself, can affect their judgement.

Plus there are other factors in the mix. Mark Ashton is a major factor in our recruitment, and we've heard rumours of how much Steve Lansdown can get involved as well. Not all those rumours are necessarily true, but it's clear the degree any manager operates to his own agenda here depends on his ability to interact well with Ashton and Lansdown and get them to buy into his vision. That can be a personality issue as much as it can be a talent one.

I personally "voted" for Jokanovic, but I'd be happy if we landed Hughton.  It would at least signal that we're a club with ambition. 

"There are no definites in football", ain't that the truth!

It's got to be someone of their calibre now hasn't it.

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

Finding it incredible that people are still referencing the last few months of his tenure in the Prem as some kind of reason not to go for him. 

I recall City 0-4 Brighton in Feb 2016, where Brighton played some fantastic football

Archived