IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

And he always does; why that is not blatantly obvious to everyone is mind boggling in its lunacy.

i.e. to even question his intention, time and time again, is beyond disingenuous.

It’s more his execution that I question. I have no doubt that he wants Prem footy at the Gate and we will see how he approaches that with our next Johnson, sorry,  coach . 

30 minutes ago, petehinton said:

for Chris Hughton to actively come out and say he's interested, and then for us to then turn our nose up at that, given his track record and experience, would be a huge mistake imo

Certainly in terms of fan perception, now we've got our hopes up that a proven and respected candidate like Hughton is a contender, the club is at risk of disappointing us.

Going for a league 1 or 2 candidate now will feel deflating, regardless of their potential or recent successes. 

I suppose the only alternative to Hughton that would equally capture our imagination is a high profile and popular recent player such as Gerrard or Henry, or an intriguing foreign appointment with a reputation of being a bit special.

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

And he always does; why that is not blatantly obvious to everyone is mind boggling in its lunacy.

i.e. to even question his intention, time and time again, is beyond disingenuous.

Not questioning his intentions at all, i believe he feels he does choose the right appointment, but history tells us very differently, lets not spin this, the most successful manager we have had since GJ was Cotterill, who wasn't even Lansdowns choice. I have serious doubts in Lansdown's judgements to appoint a manager good enough for the situations we have been in - McInnes, Coppell (who fell out with SL), SOD, Millen, LJ - hardly a glittering resume of appointments is it? He got it right with GJ, but most have been underwhelming appointments at the time & went on to be underwhelming during their time.

1 minute ago, Mr Hankey said:

Not questioning his intentions at all, i believe he feels he does choose the right appointment, but history tells us very differently, lets not spin this, the most successful manager we have had since GJ was Cotterill, who wasn't even Lansdowns choice. I have serious doubts in Lansdown's judgements to appoint a manager good enough for the situations we have been in - McInnes, Coppell (who fell out with SL), SOD, Millen, LJ - hardly a glittering resume of appointments is it? He got it right with GJ, but most have been underwhelming appointments at the time & went on to be underwhelming during their time.

GJ, Cotts and LJ all done well, all improved us. 

Really can you name many clubs who get it right majority of the time? 

McInnes, Coppell, O'Driscoll all made sense on paper. 

Just now, Selred said:

GJ, Cotts and LJ all done well, all improved us. 

Really can you name many clubs who get it right majority of the time? 

McInnes, Coppell, O'Driscoll all made sense on paper. 

With the backing LJ had, he certainly did not do well. May of improved us, but with the backing he had & players at his disposal he did not do well.

As i said, GJ was good one & so was Cotterill, but the latter was not Lansdown's call, it was Dawes. For me, no way did McInnes make sense & the only reason SOD did is because we were such a basket case after McInnes's time we had no option but to settle for someone like him!

The very fact that he has his son, Jon, as chairman says enough about his judgement. Won't knock him for what he has done for the club in the slightest, i am not against Lansdown in any way shape or form, i think he has done wonders for the stadium and infrastructure, but i would much rather someone else (Ashton) makes the call on footballing matters like this.

1 hour ago, milo1111 said:

I could be wrong as obviously I’ve never met the guy but someone like Hughton doesn’t seem like someone who’s prime motivation is cash.

I get the same impression but he will have an adviser / agent and once they are involved then it could be more difficult. Also, cash for him to strengthen the areas he feels he needs and over what term must be something he would want confirmation of. 

If a team like Villa get relegated then I'd imagine he would be on their list. They will throw everything at getting back up and we just can't compete. So that's why we have to strike and get him in asap before someone else falls off the managerial merrygoround.

The problem is if he chooses to go with a league 1 or 2 manager is, they will run into the same problem as LJ.  That is man manage of championship players, some with big egos, is totally different to those from a lower league.  We need someone who is use to, and knows how to deal with them.

A lower league manager isn't going to command instant respect a Houghton, McCarthy or similar would. This for me is something that is vitally important in an appointment.  We need someone to 'take the bull by the horns' with this squad and turn it into a genuine promotion chasing team and Houghton is the exact sort of manager we need to do it.

12 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

With the backing LJ had, he certainly did not do well. May of improved us, but with the backing he had & players at his disposal he did not do well.

As i said, GJ was good one & so was Cotterill, but the latter was not Lansdown's call, it was Dawes. For me, no way did McInnes make sense & the only reason SOD did is because we were such a basket case after McInnes's time we had no option but to settle for someone like him!

The very fact that he has his son, Jon, as chairman says enough about his judgement. Won't knock him for what he has done for the club in the slightest, i am not against Lansdown in any way shape or form, i think he has done wonders for the stadium and infrastructure, but i would much rather someone else (Ashton) makes the call on footballing matters like this.

Without getting into the LJ if or if not he did well, can you tell me which club does get the right manager each time? 

Also Ashton is CEO, he likely is making the footballing calls now. I don't see him as a yes man. 

5 minutes ago, Bristol is red said:

The problem is if he chooses to go with a league 1 or 2 manager is, they will run into the same problem as LJ.  That is man manage of championship players, some with big egos, is totally different to those from a lower league.  We need someone who is use to, and knows how to deal with them.

A lower league manager isn't going to command instant respect a Houghton, McCarthy or similar would. This for me is something that is vitally important in an appointment.  We need someone to 'take the bull by the horns' with this squad and turn it into a genuine promotion chasing team and Houghton is the exact sort of manager we need to do it.

Is that Bobby Houghton that you are referring to?

11 minutes ago, Selred said:

Without getting into the LJ if or if not he did well, can you tell me which club does get the right manager each time? 

Also Ashton is CEO, he likely is making the footballing calls now. I don't see him as a yes man. 

No club gets it right every time, think you got the wrong end of the stick with that one. But there's a reason why we are still a footballing "backwater".....hopefully not for much longer as long as we get this next appointment right.

30 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

88 more pages to go before he decides to go and manage someone else 

Heaven help us if he's appointed and then goes for Nketiah!

Feels like with all these names its just journos drumming up clicks and throwing names until one sticks.

I don't think we can afford Hughton personally. LJ was on what? Maybe 10k a week?

Lansdown really has to step up and pay top tier championship manager wage to get our man to take us to the next step.

11 minutes ago, petehinton said:

a player that Cotts had a deal agreed to sign and then the rug was pulled under by the board...

I knew we were in for him, but did not know that.  Was that during 14/15 or the summer?

10 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Yep couldn't remember who it was, but he was playing wide left against Zak Vyner (might have been his debut)

2nd match....having made his debut at MK Dons on the Saturday, he kept his place on the Tuesday....but he looked shagged....and boy, did Murphy exploit it.

Poor old Zak....not dissimilar to having a good return v Forest on Wednesday, then looking leggy v Cardiff on Saturday.

Not the only example on Saturday too....Nagy, having only just come back into the team.  Henriksen during his time too.

Question: what are our sports scientists tracking? Are they feeding back to LJ?  Is LJ listening?

Only asking the question, but too many players have not looked sharp at different points if the season.

3 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Feels like with all these names its just journos drumming up clicks and throwing names until one sticks.

I don't think we can afford Hughton personally. LJ was on what? Maybe 10k a week?

Lansdown really has to step up and pay top tier championship manager wage to get our man to take us to the next step.

say he wants double, which isn't out the questions. An extra 10k a week could just mean shifting out Adelukan and Watkins, and thats the extra 10k paid for. Not even taking into account Maenpaa who is OOC, wages on Bailey Wright saved etc.

We've spunked far more cash on far less ability over the past 2 years

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

say he wants double, which isn't out the questions. An extra 10k a week could just mean shifting out Adelukan and Watkins, and thats the extra 10k paid for. Not even taking into account Maenpaa who is OOC, wages on Bailey Wright saved etc.

This this and this again. Money cannot be a problem to get CH or someone of his calibre in. 

1 hour ago, Mr Hankey said:

59 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

I think it's stupid the say LJ did not do well. You can definitely make a case that he should have gone earlier, but so many people seem to forget we were probably going down when he arrived - a lot of poster during his second season were saying all they wanted was a season without drama where we knew we were safe. Under LJ we went from a team heading back to L1 to a team where we are disappointed not to be in the play offs - all this in literally one of the most difficult leagues in the world. We were not even close to being able to appoint someone of the caliber of CH at the time LJ arrived and now have him actually declaring interest. 

I'm glad LJ has gone now we were stagnating but it's stupid to suggest he was terrible here - you could argue someone else could have done better, but as I mentioned the caliber of manager available then was not what it was now (We could easily have appointed someone who didn't turn things around!). Ultimately if you are a club struggling to avoid relegation and the manager you appoint does that and then establishes you firmly in that league you can't call that a terrible decision.

1 hour ago, Mr Hankey said:

Lee Johnson was a success with us, he established as a championship club

Are people really turning their nose up at Chris Hughton? Incredible. It would be quite a coup for us to get him. His track record in this league is brilliant. Just look at the link with Brighton fans thoughts.......Full of praise. Oh he played boring football in the prem, I don't want him........ ?

Un*******believable.

I think the issue might be more what CH expects than his salary. I think we'd be prepared to pay what he wants, probably even adjust budgets to do that. However, the reports that say he is interested do also say 'with the right backing'. If his expectations/requests of what that 'backing' means are to big it may not be possible to appoint him. 

27 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Totally agree. We have so much deadwood in this squad and potential wages to free up.

I hope and pray the board are doing everything they can behind the scenes to get in CH. Can’t ever remember wanting a manager to come to City this much to be honest - it really feels like the perfect fit at the right time.

Archived