IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly.

Everything that goes on between between SL’s financial prudence (good on him too) and the Manager needs to be as flexible to achieve the goal. Mark Ashton as CEO, appears too involved.  He, himself appointed a head of operations (Luke Werhun) to run the operational side....why don’t we hear anything from him.  What role does he undertake, is it necessary?  
Does Talent ID sit under him as the middle man into MA, e.g. Talent ID to LW to MA
?  Werhun is an interesting one!  At Oxford too, and conveniently worked for MA’s own consultancy - Tactical Change, who were the consultancy brought in during 2013.  What they implemented was chucked in the bin by Cotterill.  And then was Tactical Change manoeuvring behind the scenes in late 2015, whilst Ashton (and Werhun) working their notice at Oxford?  Very convenient imho.

The right appointment ought to be able to recommend their own ideas based on their experience / success.

I don’t think SL gives LJ a 4 year deal, knowing how streaky he can be, without 1) protecting the club if he needs to sack him or 2) to get compensation of LJ gets approached by another club.

The head of Performance Analysis is Sam Stanton. Been at the club since Cotts AFAIK. Fine.

But who is running Talent ID/Recruitment? It's interesting as the logic points to Ashton being in charge of it. According to the BP "In charge of recruitment across the club". Not being funny, but is that the man you want running Talent ID? Presumably that stretches across to the academy too.

Is Ashton just informed by the analysis departments and the coaching departments, and the man in charge of putting a tick or cross in the box on signings? Or, scarier yet still, is this man running all recruitment for the club (as CEO)?

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly.

Everything that goes on between between SL’s financial prudence (good on him too) and the Manager needs to be as flexible to achieve the goal. Mark Ashton as CEO, appears too involved.  He, himself appointed a head of operations (Luke Werhun) to run the operational side....why don’t we hear anything from him.  What role does he undertake, is it necessary?  
Does Talent ID sit under him as the middle man into MA, e.g. Talent ID to LW to MA?  Werhun is an interesting one!  At Oxford too, and conveniently worked for MA’s own consultancy - Tactical Change, who were the consultancy brought in during 2013.  What they implemented was chucked in the bin by Cotterill.  And then was Tactical Change manoeuvring behind the scenes in late 2015, whilst Ashton (and Werhun) working their notice at Oxford?  Very convenient imho.

The right appointment ought to be able to recommend their own ideas based on their experience / success.

I don’t think SL gives LJ a 4 year deal, knowing how streaky he can be, without 1) protecting the club if he needs to sack him or 2) to get compensation of LJ gets approached by another club.

WOW. I wasn’t even aware of Werhun, so it sounds like we got rid of the City old boys network a few years back and replaced it with an Oxford one instead!

There definitely seems a lack of clarity regarding roles and it would be interesting to know the combined salary of those two plus LJ and how that would compare with what Chris Hughton would be asking for.  

Obviously football today would be virtually impossible for a manager to handle everything, but that looks a bit overloaded.

It also concerns me what would happen if Mark Ashton suddenly upped sticks and went.  We could find we suddenly lose our agent contacts and potentially be worse off than losing a manager.

Maybe this is a symptom of modern football, but sounds like we could easily be held over a barrel by these suits.

2 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

When you think about the time he's had, the money spent on players and the actual quality of the football. It's been a very, average 4 years in truth. When other managers have had less resources, less time and performed better. 

Completely agreed mate. I was just trying to be nice!

2 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Alan Nixon saying that City “want someone in the Lee Johnson mould ideally” would suggest a younger man/cheaper option unless Gary Johnson has another son that we don’t know about. 

Nay, Nay and thrice Nay

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Our DoF (CEO) is on more than double that!

As the figures shown were averages, a lot of CEOs must be earning less. I’d guess that some clubs pay more, so to get the average figure shown those at the lower end of the scale must be earning a lot less. I hate averages. Averages can be misleading when a distribution is heavily skewed at one end, with a small number of unrepresentative examples  pulling the average in their direction. 

15 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

The head of Performance Analysis is Sam Stanton. Been at the club since Cotts AFAIK. Fine.

But who is running Talent ID/Recruitment? It's interesting as the logic points to Ashton being in charge of it. According to the BP "In charge of recruitment across the club". Not being funny, but is that the man you want running Talent ID? Presumably that stretches across to the academy too.

Is Ashton just informed by the analysis departments and the coaching departments, and the man in charge of putting a tick or cross in the box on signings? Or, scarier yet still, is this man running all recruitment for the club (as CEO)?

Sean Gilhespy I believe is the lead of the data guys.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-transfers-scouts-team-1503989

Someone I know isn’t very impressed with him at all.

7 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

How much is Lisa Knights on? Or Downsy?

Bristol Sport pay them.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, I didn’t want to add that to a forum, but yep, it’s out there.  I wasn’t sure if he was b-i-l or cousin.

Ha ha yep. I knew you knew and probably didn’t want to mention it. 
I’m certainly a tad more cynical about Mr Ashton than you, so I don’t mind saying it ?

3 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Alexa - show me an image of a bunch of smug looking nauses

Am beginning to think the axe should have been used a bit more extensively with the info that Harry is posting about Ashton ...b-in-law, agents etc we know he's  a bulls hitter but it seems to go deeper

8 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

True but none of them will remember him playing. This has far more impact for players that the current squad will actually remember ie John Terry, Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard.

You don't need to remember him playing. Just to know that he has played and managed to a high level and knows what he's on about. He'll get their respect. 

2 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Am beginning to think the axe should have been used a bit more extensively with the info that Harry is posting about Ashton ...b-in-law, agents etc we know he's  a bulls hitter but it seems to go deeper

Yes, we seem to have gone from jobs for the boys to ...... erm .... jobs for the boys again

So we’ve got an owner who’s employed his son as chairman.

A CEO who’s employed his brother in law

A previous manager with 2 mates employed to coach alongside him.

I thought we moved away from being this cosy club a few years ago when we removed Naylor/Walsh etc from their roles. 

We seem to have slipped back into these ways. You have to wonder are these people the best we can get for these roles?

10 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

You can talk, you’re his script writer ???

3 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Nixon rarely gets anything right with City. Only one time I recall was the Hunt signing from Wednesday, even then he probably heard it from Wednesday’s end. 

I wouldn’t listen to him too much.

Reading through his twitter , he’s a self important geezer who rarely actually gets much right , he’s managed to feed the myth but hard to see what he gets right 

I just hope we don’t fart around for weeks on end then appoint another man child who done well in lower leagues has the right dna but will show total lack of ambition again . 

just for once go out and do the right thing , get a proven manager who’s won promotions at this level and prove you really do want to actually reach the premier league 

And do it sooner then later as we have a great opportunity for the new guy to have a few weeks to see for himself who he wants and doesn’t want and what he needs 

57 minutes ago, Harry said:

Highly unlikely. Even Sky sports sometimes make assumptions with little knowledge. 

Not so sure about that.  Bowyer fell out with the club after winning promotion before the season even started.  

And things have kicked off again recently.  All's not well at The Valley

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51851930

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You can talk, you’re his script writer ???

I know how he bullshits - didnt know all this agent stuff......I'm almost sorry for LJ having to work for him but a Hughton/McCarthy)Pulis type doesn't put up with it. Managing up is a skill like any other but LJ maybe couldn't do that either.

Anyway Dave I feel sure Mark Ashton will have something to say when the new guy is eventually appointed!

Archived