IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

I cannot understand the clamour for Chris Hughton. He'd be a boring, uninspiring appointment. Lee Bowyer, on the other hand, would be an exciting and forward looking choice. He's done a fantastic job at Charlton, working under very difficult conditions. 

41 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

From what he says, and there are various Ep interviews, the recruitment team respond to MA. So yes, ultimately, recruitment is run by MA and the people involved in that team do require scrutiny. There is a great need of improvement in this area and it is equally responsible for the un-coordinated mess we are in as a club as LJ was. Unless recruitment is of the highest order you can put any coach in you want and it will fail. Leeds have a CEO and a director of football (who was the brains behind bringing in Biesla) We have one person doing both. The challenge for Sl is not small. Who is advising him on all of these matters. Hmmm MA by any chance ? 

A DoF would be a prudent addition to the club. I expect in his head SL probably thinks he and JL are the directors of football at AG, and so another isn't needed.

11 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

I cannot understand the clamour for Chris Hughton. He'd be a boring, uninspiring appointment. Lee Bowyer, on the other hand, would be an exciting and forward looking choice. He's done a fantastic job at Charlton, working under very difficult conditions. 

I’m pretty inspired by a manager who has two promotions at this level and in four full seasons, the lowest he has finished is fourth. The last time we had a decent goal difference at this level (+15 or better) was in 1976 and Hughton did that on all four occasions. In recent years, he played great football at this level with Brighton. 

26 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Recruitment consultant turned director of football operations hahahhaha. Great work if you can get it mind

I can’t see his profile.  Maybe he’s now taken it down. That’s some career jump though as you say. Sad to find out with all this that the ‘jobs for the boys’ ethos seemingly runs deep at our place.  

9 hours ago, Fatknacker said:

I hope SL has enough class to veto any suggestion Lee Bowyer is even considered for a job at our club.

Yes, instead of gestures before kick off and slogans embroidered on shirts, first try not employing racists and convicted thugs as managers and assistant coaches. Like in almost any other profession. 

9 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I’m pretty inspired by a manager who has two promotions at this level and in four full seasons, the lowest he has finished is fourth. The last time we had a decent goal difference at this level (+15 or better) was in 1976 and Hughton did that on all four occasions. In recent years, he played great football at this level with Brighton. 

I’m similarly surprised people aren’t thinking Hughton could be very good for us - he’s proven at this level in every sense of the word.

This is exactly the type of manager we’ve seemingly been crying out to hire for years; it for me would be logical that if he’d come, we get him.

Younger and less experienced managers certainly can help elevate a club, and there is no guarantee someone like Hughton would work, but I think it almost goes without saying that if you’re banking on someone taking the next step with you, that is more than a gamble than appointing someone who’s been there and done it.

18 minutes ago, lenred said:

I can’t see his profile.  Maybe he’s now taken it down. That’s some career jump though as you say. Sad to find out with all this that the ‘jobs for the boys’ ethos seemingly runs deep at our place.  

Yeah it’s pretty out of order to be taking apart a young bloke who you know nothing about. Maybe he’s actually good at his job? Maybe that prompted Ashton to bring him over from Oxford. You know absolutely nothing about the situation and are jumping to massive conclusions. Bellend. 

43 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

I would also be inspired by Hughton.  In addition, he's not a racist thug.

48 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

Lee just apply through the normal channels ffs we have no influence on here whatsoever.

59 minutes ago, ROKERITE said:

Hughton would be a sensible choice as he has twice done the thing City want. 

Bowyer may have done wonders at Charlton.  Maybe he thrives in difficult situations, but that doesn't mean he will also thrive when that same pressure isnt there.  Until he is at a different club you wont know.  So for me he is a riskier choice for manager.

Also one thing with Houghton.  I rembere reading a while ago that when we were having planning issues for the new stadium.  SL had spent time with the chairman of Brighton, as they had similar issues with their new stadium.   Presumably SL would have been able to get inside scoop on what Houghton is like to have as a manager?   Just wondered if that relationship might play a role in the next appointment?

1 hour ago, ROKERITE said:

So we can either appoint a proven winner, also one of the most prominent BAME managers. Or Lee Bowyer.

18 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Yeah it’s pretty out of order to be taking apart a young bloke who you know nothing about. Maybe he’s actually good at his job? Maybe that prompted Ashton to bring him over from Oxford. You know absolutely nothing about the situation and are jumping to massive conclusions. Bellend. 

Wow. Not sure how I’ve ‘taken apart’ a young bloke here in my post and certainly not sure how my post deems it ok for you to be abusive but each to their own. I’m guessing from your response you know more about it so why don’t you enlighten us? 

3 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

I can’t believe there are some people who wouldn’t be happy or excited with an appointment like Hughton. He is literally the best we can get at this time and pretty confident we will get play offs next season under his coaching 

I agree 100%.

To me he is the obvious choice.  His CV shows he has taken clubs up to the prem.  You can argue they are bigger/better squad/facilities etc etc.  But the fact is he has done it twice.

He seems to be a level headed, calm coach.   Rather than a all guns blazing character.

I think this time City can attract such a coach, as we seem to be a club who is "ready" for promotion.  Good stadium, new training ground, solid setup.  

I hope SL approves Houghton as it would be a real signal of intent

1 minute ago, RUSSEL85 said:

I can’t believe there are some people who wouldn’t be happy or excited with an appointment like Hughton. He is literally the best we can get at this time and pretty confident we will get play offs next season under his coaching 

Crazy isn't it. And he is interested by the sounds of it, even though he has turned countless teams down in this division.

#AnnounceHughton

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

Wow. Not sure how I’ve ‘taken apart’ a young bloke here in my post and certainly not sure how my post deems it ok for you to be abusive but each to their own. I’m guessing from your response you know more about it so why don’t you enlighten us? 

I don’t know anything except that having a pop at some kid in his 20s for doing his job is out of order. If you think it’s ok to throw supposition at a kids career and smear his name on a public forum, fair enough, makes you a bellend in my eyes though. 

5 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

So we can either appoint a proven winner, also one of the most prominent coloured managers. Or Lee Bowyer.

The proven versus potential argument can go on forever.

There are a handful of available proven managers.

I suspect they demand a chunky wage

There are a lot more potentially good/great managers.   

Who will probably come for less money and promise hard work and dedication.  As you would expect.

I think in LJ we had the ultimate "potentially great manager".  Seems to be very dedicated, worked very hard and clearly loved this club and tried his best.

We have tried employing potential.  I think it is time to employ experience

13 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

You are right of course, I must admit though I don't see him as an 'exciting' appointment. I see him as a sensible, ambitious and pragmatic one - definitely a step up - but not 'exciting'. 

I think perhaps my idea of an 'exciting' appointment is a far more risky one which probably isn't what we need right now. 

11 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

I don’t know anything except that having a pop at some kid in his 20s for doing his job is out of order. If you think it’s ok to throw supposition at a kids career and smear his name on a public forum, fair enough, makes you a bellend in my eyes though. 

I haven’t had ‘a pop’ though have I? Unless saying he’s taken his linked in profile down is having a pop in your eyes?  And not sure what his age has got to do with it - I have no idea who he is (which is kind of the point) but I presume he’s earning very good money at the club and has been working for MA for years judging by others information on this and so I’m guessing he’s not exactly wet behind the ears?  Anyway....if you deem it ok to call me a ‘bellend’ behind your keyboard for joining in a debate about our club then good for you. Enjoy your day. 

18 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

He went to Uni in 2001 according to his LinkedIn so he's probably a fair bit older than you think. It's reasonable to question who the club is bringing in and why, especially when it all seems a bit cosy.

Archived