IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

8 minutes ago, lenred said:

I haven’t had ‘a pop’ though have I? Unless saying he’s taken his linked in profile down is having a pop in your eyes?  And not sure what his age has got to do with it - I have no idea who he is (which is kind of the point) but I presume he’s earning very good money at the club and has been working for MA for years judging by others information on this and so I’m guessing he’s not exactly wet behind the ears?  Anyway....if you deem it ok to call me a ‘bellend’ behind your keyboard for joining in a debate about our club then good for you. Enjoy your day. 

You said it was ‘jobs for the boys’ you said it was ‘sad to see’. An opinion literally based on nothing. That’s a fking awful thing to say about anyone, let alone some kid at the start of his career.

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He went to Uni in 2001 according to his LinkedIn so he's probably a fair bit older than you think. It's reasonable to question who the club is bringing in and why, especially when it all seems a bit cosy.

A, it’s one thing to question, another thing to jump to conclusions and draw accusations. It’s a slippery slope, these days there’s lots of laws about slandering people on the internet.

B, there must be hundreds of people employed by bristol sport. If you’re going through all of them it’s going to be a really long and drawn out process. For that reason, I’m out. 

Anyway, I don’t know this guy from Adam, just thought it was harsh having a go at him. It’s not something I’d like to happen to me or my son (he’s 1 tbf so doesn’t even have LinkedIn)

Just now, Notbarrymanc said:

You said it was ‘jobs for the boys’ you said it was ‘sad to see’. An opinion literally based on nothing. That’s a fking awful thing to say about anyone, let alone some kid at the start of his career.

The jobs for the boys comment was not aimed solely at him and I stand by it - if there is a cosy culture in the way the club is being run, as suggested by multiple posters on this thread then it’s not great. And it’s not a ‘fkn awful’ thing to say, it’s completely legitimate to ask questions about what is going on at our club. The age thing has proven to be a misnomer.

Not sure why you are attacking solely me on this and consistently calling me names for simply discussing how our club, which we all pay hundreds if not thousands of pounds into each year, is run, but if it’s making you feel better about it then you crack on. 

12 minutes ago, lenred said:

The jobs for the boys comment was not aimed solely at him and I stand by it - if there is a cosy culture in the way the club is being run, as suggested by multiple posters on this thread then it’s not great. And it’s not a ‘fkn awful’ thing to say, it’s completely legitimate to ask questions about what is going on at our club. The age thing has proven to be a misnomer.

Not sure why you are attacking solely me on this and consistently calling me names for simply discussing how our club, which we all pay hundreds if not thousands of pounds into each year, is run, but if it’s making you feel better about it then you crack on. 

:facepalm: 

This doesn’t make any sense. You admit to stating it’s jobs for the boys. Without proof. What that is, is out of order. What that isn’t, however, is a bleeding question, is it brains. 

Im done. Chris, if you’re reading this, Bristol is beautiful and cultured and primed for ascension. Otib just happens to be the polar opposite.

46 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I'm no expert but last time I checked this phrase was pretty offensive 

Are you offended?

Or offended on someone else’s behalf?

Your virtue has been successfully signalled, so on with the discussion please.

1 hour ago, soultrader said:

I agree 100%.

To me he is the obvious choice.  His CV shows he has taken clubs up to the prem.  You can argue they are bigger/better squad/facilities etc etc.  But the fact is he has done it twice.

He seems to be a level headed, calm coach.   Rather than a all guns blazing character.

I think this time City can attract such a coach, as we seem to be a club who is "ready" for promotion.  Good stadium, new training ground, solid setup.  

I hope SL approves Houghton as it would be a real signal of intent

Houghton; didn't he play for Mick at the Republic?. Has he done his coaching badges? I seem to recall him managing a team in Ireland as it happens so perhaps he has.

1 hour ago, lenred said:

I haven’t had ‘a pop’ though have I? Unless saying he’s taken his linked in profile down is having a pop in your eyes?  And not sure what his age has got to do with it - I have no idea who he is (which is kind of the point) but I presume he’s earning very good money at the club and has been working for MA for years judging by others information on this and so I’m guessing he’s not exactly wet behind the ears?  Anyway....if you deem it ok to call me a ‘bellend’ behind your keyboard for joining in a debate about our club then good for you. Enjoy your day. 

Here’s his profile.

image.thumb.png.1eb86604f1cfbab7563b9ef08bd221d7.png
image.thumb.png.a4aeb0fe999c660c35f47557f1b3a93a.png

the reason I posted it originally was initially re there might be a need to change our model between SL and the new manager....to attract the right new manager.

Being a bit cynical, MA when he was appointed felt he needed to change the model, so why not a new manager?  He introduced a “head of operations” on day one of his official start date who happened to be someone from Oxford Utd, and someone from his sideline consultancy business, that we all know was working behind the scenes prior to his Official appointment a couple of days after Cotts was sacked.

The same consultancy business (Tactical Change Ltd) used in 2013 that introduced recruitment changes, including a database.

Grove Life (also on Werhun’s CV, is also a Mark Ashton owned consultancy too.  So MA is a director at 4 companies and Werhun has worked at them all, 2 of them are MA’s own company and 2 are football clubs he’s joined, and appointed Werhun at the same time.

I just find that “interesting” ??‍♂️

I’ve not questioned anyone’s abilities.

Same logic as whether JL is the best Chairman we could get?

Same logic as whether Macca and Deano were the best assistants LJ could get?

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Here’s his profile.

the reason I posted it originally was initially re there might be a need to change our model between SL and the new manager....to attract the right new manager.

Being a bit cynical, MA when he was appointed felt he needed to change the model, so why not a new manager?  He introduced a “head of operations” on day one of his official start date who happened to be someone from Oxford Utd, and someone from his sideline consultancy business, that we all know was working behind the scenes prior to his Official appointment a couple of days after Cotts was sacked.

The same consultancy business (Tactical Change Ltd) used in 2013 that introduced recruitment changes, including a database.

Grove Life (also on Werhun’s CV, is also a Mark Ashton owned consultancy too.  So MA is a director at 4 companies and Werhun has worked at them all, 2 of them are MA’s own company and 2 are football clubs he’s joined, and appointed Werhun at the same time.

Exactly Dave, definitely something to keep an eye on. They might all be the best possible people to do those jobs.. but realistically it does look a bit fishy.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Here’s his profile.

Fair enough, some investigation and some questions being asked. It’s not unusual to apply your most trusted employees across multiple ventures. Not sure there’s anything wrong with that. 

20 minutes ago, Oops said:

Are you offended?

I personally find the term offensive and will call people out on it. Some people slip up and some people are just unsure what term to use.

Assume a racist term is used on here to describe a black player. Are you saying that only black contributers are allowed to be upset by that? Of course they're not, hence why your comments don't make sense.

Fair play to the chap you've quoted.

34 minutes ago, Oops said:

Are you offended?

Are you serious? Let's just say it's a term you should probably remove from your lexicon. 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

I'm no expert but last time I checked this phrase was pretty offensive 

To be fair it can be a little confusing for some that 'people of colour' is fine but 'coloured people' is not.

From the context of his post I don't think Hare Island was meaning to be offensive at all and I don't really think he needed to be picked up on it.

You know Werhun sounds a bit like Wuhan. Topical.

Irrelevant I know, but this seems to be the theme on the Chris Hughton thread. 

Back on topic, I hope we hear something by the weekend. I think there’s real benefit to having the new manager in whilst there are still competitive matches to be played. You can bet our players will want to impress a new manager and we’ll be up against teams with something to play for so sooner the better for me 

13 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Fair enough, some investigation and some questions being asked. It’s not unusual to apply your most trusted employees across multiple ventures. Not sure there’s anything wrong with that. 

No, I’m not saying it is.  People do bring people with them, especially in football.

The two points I’m really trying to make are:

1. to get the right manager we may need to flex our model
  2. the reasons for not achieving the objectives set out this season shouldn’t necessary lie just at LJ’s door.  As long as other areas are being reviewed, then that’s good

Linking to that, how many of our loans that returned permanently have been successes:

• Lee Tomlin £3m
  • Adam Matthews (loan again)
  • Tomas Kalas £7m+
  • Jay Dasilva £2m
  • Kasey Palmer £3.5m

Jury might be out on Kalas and Dasilva, injuries haven’t helped.  But that model, on paper sounds great, especially when we hear “agreed option to buy” upon signing initially.  But there need to be question marks imho.

We can add:

• Benik Afobe
  • Pedro Pereira

to that list.

Did I miss anyone?

5 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

To be fair it can be a little confusing for some that 'people of colour' is fine but 'coloured people' is not.

From the context of his post I don't think Hare Island was meaning to be offensive at all and I don't really think he needed to be picked up on it.

Good post. 

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly Dave, definitely something to keep an eye on. They might all be the best possible people to do those jobs.. but realistically it does look a bit fishy.

.... and would they welcome in a manager who would be beneficial to this football club, but detrimental to their cosy little gang?

Conflict of interest springs to mind.

3 hours ago, ROKERITE said:

I cannot understand the clamour for Chris Hughton. He'd be a boring, uninspiring appointment. Lee Bowyer, on the other hand, would be an exciting and forward looking choice. He's done a fantastic job at Charlton, working under very difficult conditions. 

Says the bitter, jealous, League 1 Sunderland fan !

11 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Beat me to it !

What is the difference FFS ?!

5 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I'm sure he wasn't meaning to be offensive either, and he's gone out of his way to edit his post to be fair.

I alluded to "confusion" being a source of why that word continues to get used and that's understandable. 

Politely pointing out any derogatory connotations and/or suggesting alternatives can only help.

12 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

.... and would they welcome in a manager who would be beneficial to this football club, but detrimental to their cosy little gang?

Conflict of interest springs to mind.

A concern I have (and this is simply based on the information available to me as an outsider) is whether the board and the likes of Ashton would welcome a manager who might want to rock the boat a bit.

I'm sure LJ has done in his own way, but I would wager the likes of Warnock/Cotterill/McCarthy etc would be far more forthright about it and have their own ideas about how things should be run based on years of experience.

If my hunch is correct, it narrows the field considerably as I think lots of the experienced names being touted might be uneasy with a few things about the club.

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Here’s his profile.

Absolutely stinks.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

A concern I have (and this is simply based on the information available to me as an outsider) is whether the board and the likes of Ashton would welcome a manager who might want to rock the boat a bit.

I'm sure LJ has done in his own way, but I would wager the likes of Warnock/Cotterill/McCarthy etc would be far more forthright about it and have their own ideas about how things should be run based on years of experience.

If my hunch is correct, it narrows the field considerably as I think lots of the experienced names being touted might be uneasy with a few things about the club.

Exactly PF and I’ve got the same concerns. The more you hear about our structure, the less likely it feels that we’ll see a Chris Hughton or Mick McCarthy type coming in.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we’re already in discussion with Coventry regarding Mark Robins tbh and he’d probably be more accepting of our management structure.  He does sound more inspiring than many of the others being mentioned and ticks a fair few boxes, but looks to be more of an LJ mark 2, rather than the real shake-up we want to see.

Whoever we eventually choose will at least give us fans a good indicator of the true level of this club’s ambitions.

23 minutes ago, ChubStixx said:

I'm sure he wasn't meaning to be offensive either, and he's gone out of his way to edit his post to be fair.

I alluded to "confusion" being a source of why that word continues to get used and that's understandable. 

Politely pointing out any derogatory connotations and/or suggesting alternatives can only help.

It is also I believe a term used positively by South Africans. Certainly someone I used to work with told me that he would want to be referred to as coloured and if someone called him mixed race he would find that much more offensive even though a few years ago I think that was a more widely accepted term at the time in this country at least. 

10 minutes ago, Keep the Faith said:

It is also I believe a term used positively by South Africans. Certainly someone I used to work with told me that he would want to be referred to as coloured and if someone called him mixed race he would find that much more offensive even though a few years ago I think that was a more widely accepted term at the time in this country at least. 

This isnt south Africa.

46 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Beat me to it !

What is the difference FFS ?!

The term Person (or Man, Woman or People) of colour is an American term.  Used to describe anyone not considered white.

The term coloured person was orginally equivalent to the terem Person of Colour, but due to its use in Southern USA, it became to be restricted to purely negroes and so became to be seen/used as a racial pejorative.

Remember playing football for Horfield team was predominantly black players. This is in the early nineties I was 16. Playing Hartcliffe away one of their players said mark the coloured guy. Not in a nasty way . But the player took exception to it and it went right up . Lesson learned 

Back on topic CH would be an excellent appointment 

Archived