IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

Hello 1st time poster, thought I'd post as usually just read what's been said I've been thinking about the new manager and who would be best,for me it is Chris hughton think he has the experience and know how of this league but I've just realised that his assistant is Paul trollope could this be a reason city wouldn't appoint him ? Would it bother anyone else ? I know he had him with him at Brighton not sure anywhere else. So may not insist on bringing him in any thoughts on this ? 

4 hours ago, Mattredrobin said:

Hello 1st time poster, thought I'd post as usually just read what's been said I've been thinking about the new manager and who would be best,for me it is Chris hughton think he has the experience and know how of this league but I've just realised that his assistant is Paul trollope could this be a reason city wouldn't appoint him ? Would it bother anyone else ? I know he had him with him at Brighton not sure anywhere else. So may not insist on bringing him in any thoughts on this ? 

Wouldn't bother me but it would probably boil the sags piss if they got us promoted to the PL! 

2 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

He has connections to Swindon too, and no it wouldn't worry me in the slightest

He's actually a decent respected coach and you would hope his previous links with your neighbors wouldn't jeopardise getting in a decent manager who would want him as part of his coaching team 

1 hour ago, fatchers said:

That’s a bit of a worrying read tbh.  If he did come here, we could be going from tinkerman, who changes formation several times in the same match, to someone who sticks rigidly to the same players and formation, regardless of whether it’s actually working or not.

After what we’ve been subjected to over the last couple of years, particularly at home, anyone is an improvement after LJ.  Reading that piece though, you do wonder if going for CH would only make sense if it was a means to an end to just get up, then get rid.  That policy would be very costly and its far more likely that SL would stick with him for a good while and we’d have yet another long period of boredom before SL finally pulled the trigger to end it.

This definitely doesn’t bode well for our hopes of getting more entertainment value at the Gate ?

11 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

That’s a bit of a worrying read tbh.  If he did come here, we could be going from tinkerman, who changes formation several times in the same match, to someone who sticks rigidly to the same players and formation, regardless of whether it’s actually working or not.

After what we’ve been subjected to over the last couple of years, particularly at home, anyone is an improvement after LJ.  Reading that piece though, you do wonder if going for CH would only make sense if it was a means to an end to just get up, then get rid.  That policy would be very costly and its far more likely that SL would stick with him for a good while and we’d have yet another long period of boredom before SL finally pulled the trigger to end it.

This definitely doesn’t bode well for our hopes of getting more entertainment value at the Gate ?

If we accept that people don’t learn from their mistakes then ‘ yes ‘ we could have a problem however I suspect that CH is smart enough not to lose another gig for the same reason. 

Every coach at every club goes stale after a while ( which is why I wouldn’t like a four year contract dished out ) and I prefer to look at the good he did in getting clubs out of the Championship and stabilising them in the Prem.

He is the anti-LJ !

That was slightly skewed in that it focused on the last half season when he clearly lost his way. Virtually all managers do, even the likes of Mourinho and Guardiola.

No manager is perfect. It's worth remembering that when he took over they were near the bottom of the Championship and he left after finishing his 2nd season in the Premiership..

That's clear progress and improvement.  

Hughton appeals because he's got a proven track record of getting teams promoted from this division. I'm not massively concerned that his teams don't play great football, because if we have good players and they're winning regularly, people will be entertained. His apparent lack of willingness to play youngsters definitely worries me- that should be non-negotiable for whoever comes in in my opinion. The apparent tactical inflexibility is also something that worries me, though you have to trust that he's intelligent enough to learn from past mistakes.

Overall, Hughton is the obvious target for us. But that Brighton article mirrors what Norwich fans I know have said about him. He brought success but he was far from perfect. I'd love it if we could unearth a young manager on the up who plays with style and brings success. But I just wonder if we've had enough of pissing about with this division now and need to make a real push to gain promotion. If that's the case, Hughton seems to fit the bill

22 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If we accept that people don’t learn from their mistakes then ‘ yes ‘ we could have a problem however I suspect that CH is smart enough not to lose another gig for the same reason. 

Every coach at every club goes stale after a while ( which is why I wouldn’t like a four year contract dished out ) and I prefer to look at the good he did in getting clubs out of the Championship and stabilising them in the Prem.

He is the anti-LJ !

Hope so Major, but with him now being 61, I wonder if it’s a bit late to teach an old dog new tricks.

Going to be a tough decision for someone to have to make, that’s for sure

36 minutes ago, The Bard said:

That was slightly skewed in that it focused on the last half season when he clearly lost his way. Virtually all managers do, even the likes of Mourinho and Guardiola.

No manager is perfect. It's worth remembering that when he took over they were near the bottom of the Championship and he left after finishing his 2nd season in the Premiership..

That's clear progress and improvement.  

Exactly - I don’t understand why people keep referencing his performances in the prem but ignore the stats in the Championship which is far more relevant to us. Only slight worry from that would be the youth part but we don’t know what he had available over that period. 

32 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He is the anti-LJ !

.... the other potential issue is our player development to sell on. That’ll be difficult if he’s so set on keeping the same first team whenever possible.

Makes you wonder where the young players will get game time, without being loaned out.

20 minutes ago, lenred said:

Exactly - I don’t understand why people keep referencing his performances in the prem but ignore the stats in the Championship which is far more relevant to us. Only slight worry from that would be the youth part but we don’t know what he has available. 

Agreed. Lets worry about boring football in the top flight - when we actually get there!

Its been over a generation since we played top flight football and if CH can get us there  even for one season he will have done more than every single city manager in my lifetime ever has..

9 hours ago, Mattredrobin said:

I thought Trollope did a good job at Rovers with Lenny Lawrence as his DoF.  Always felt that LJ lacked a football man between him and SL/MA, and I often have cited Trollope and Lawrence as a good example of the benefits.

Surely the solution would be just to hell Hughton if he came in he had the licence to play attacking football, even if we reached the prem and were struggling he'd be backed playing that brand of football

I live near Brighton and have seen them regularly over the years. Chris Hughton  was great in getting them up, however in the Premiership he became more negative with every game, to the point there was no entertainment value in going.

Maybe he has learnt from that experience, or maybe spots don't change?.

3 hours ago, fatchers said:

Didn't know about his reticence to play youngsters.  Not sure that fits our model.   I'd heard about his defensive nature, but not his rigidity on tactics.

That said, in other threads the Championship sides under him do seem more attacking.  Maybe the pressure to stay in the Premier League and lack of quality in the team made him more defensive? ?

Archived