IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

I've read the article...'Brighton fan with time on his hands reflects on where it went wrong for the manager that got them promotion'. As it inevitably goes wrong for every manager at some time, and as it's tough to maintain Prem status, it's not a surprise that after a while Hughton fell out of favour. But seriously....can we worry about whether the play becomes more negative in the Prem once we are in the Prem? As we've got almost nowhere near for the majority of the past 40 or so seasons hiring someone who knows how to get a club there would be a start.

As for playing youngsters, I'm not sure which recent managers have exactly done that. They've taken the entirely sensible course of playing the best players - lots of them on a regularly rotating basis in LJ's case. If Walsh or Morrell are the best midfielders next season that's great, if they're not I'm not going to be alone in wondering what they are doing in a a side trying to succeed in one of the toughest leagues in the world.

The article is interesting but focuses on his time in the Premier League. I would love to be concerned about the style of football he employs in the top flight but I think we should be more worried about his ability to get teams out of this division. 

If we look at his record as a manager in this division, it paints a slightly different picture: 

- Newcastle United: The 2009/10 season was his first at the helm of a club. He won Manager of the Month three of out of the first four months of that season. Promotion was the expectation and he delivered it by remaining unbeaten at home for the entire season and winning the title by mid April. They finished on a goal difference of +55 and secured 102 points across the season. He was sacked by Christmas the following season which came to the dismay of many pundits and Newcastle fans. 

- Birmingham City: In June 2011, he joined Birmingham City who were recently relegated from the Premier League. He took them to a respectable position of fourth in the league and guided them to the Europa League group stages after the Blues won the League Cup in the prior season. They finished on 76 points with a +27 goal difference. He was approached by Norwich City at the end of the season and took the helm at the Premier League club.

- Norwich City: I would like to put less weighting on his time at this given it was in the top flight. However, they finished 11th in his first full season in charge (+14) but was fired in April 2014 with the club in 17th place in the league. 

- Brighton & Hove Albion: Hughton took over on New Year's Eve in December 2014 with the club in 21st place, level with Millwall in the relegation zone. In his first season, the club finished 20th which 6 points clear of the relegation zone. In next two seasons, he finished 3rd and 2nd having played excellent football across both years.

His record and this level is exemplary and the article refers to his final year in the Premier League. I don't think we have any right to be worried about how his style of football deteriorated in their second successive season in the top division. He has played some very good football in the Championship and I would be very confident he guide us into the play-offs next season. 

41 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

I live near Brighton and have seen them regularly over the years. Chris Hughton  was great in getting them up, however in the Premiership he became more negative with every game, to the point there was no entertainment value in going.

Maybe he has learnt from that experience, or maybe spots don't change?.

I live in Brighton and have seen a lot of his football..

Totally agree with you, great football getting them up and he did keep them up for two seasons. But and its a big But, his football got so bad in the premiership it was painful to watch.

I dont think he will change but you can never say for sure, seems good at getting sides up and keeping them up but unable to take them too much further forward and thats why brighton made a change.

Still think he is one of the best candidates for the job here however

I honestly think a lot of managers would see us as the 'right opportunity' right now

For the first time in a while I'm genuinely excited about our potential to attract the right person, stadium, squad, Covid etc etc - it could all fall into our lap. No need to rush this.....

That is excellent news- a real statement of intent.

Dorsett is a real reporter on SSN so no worries on that score.

Hughton I have one or two questions about tactically- however that is easily outweighed by the many positives.

As a club we're in a much better position off the pitch than we were 10 years ago so this has to be another positive!

5 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

Let him name his price! ?

Subject to FFP of course...remember too we have the payoff to LJ to consider but I think we're in a strong financial position given all the player sales and given LJ not on a huge wage.

However I'll forget that for one day and one day only- if he's interested in Birmingham, well we surely are a markedly better proposition right now!

I would compare CH with Alan Dicks or Gary Johnson,not spectacular football,but well organised,hard to beat with a never say die attitude,and in all my years supporting City,I would say that it’s all most supporters would want us to be.

Archived