IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

50 minutes ago, Midred said:

Can anyone remember/speculate why he left Newcastle?  Was a surprise at the time as I recall.

He was replaced by Pardew I recall. When they were 10th or so in the league. The rumour was Pardew appointed due to being mates with the owner. There was another rumour that the Pardew appointment was also to do with a betting dept to the same owner.

38 minutes ago, just like watching brazil said:

We’re bristol city when have we ever been exciting to watch?

We were good to watch under Cotts in the promotion season and under LJ in 17/18 played some of the best football I’ve ever seen at AG. 

We were also a lot more exciting to watch in 07/08 under GJ than people give him credit for. 

12 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

We were good to watch under Cotts in the promotion season and under LJ in 17/18 played some of the best football I’ve ever seen at AG. 

We were also a lot more exciting to watch in 07/08 under GJ than people give him credit for. 

8 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Can't believe that people are suggesting that Danny Wilson was more exciting in L1 than Steve Cotterill.

The period leading up to the Manchester City semi final was very good, it was only really brought to an end by the constant run of injuries which stopped LJ from being able to keep the side fresh for that all action press.

8 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Can't believe that people are suggesting that Danny Wilson was more exciting in L1 than Steve Cotterill.

Never can forgive him for “that” match in Cardiff, no strikers on the bench despite a young lad called Lita in the squad grrrrrr

1 hour ago, extonsred said:

Be good to know at least 6 /7 down the spine are certain starters for most of a season! Then you can bring in the younger ones to be nurtured without huge responsibilities. 

A nice solid back four out of that then have younger players in and around the squad .. Hughton does seem the right fit for city it just feels the right appointment and exactly what we need.

I don't get the 'dour football' thing aimed at Hughton when Managing in the Championship at all, the previously listed stats back that up.

In the Prem, maybe it's an issue but, 1. We're not in the Prem and 2. maybe Hughton learnt from that IF we get there under his management?

He seems the perfect fit, IF we can get him. 

All City want is a Coach and not a Manager - as an example, why would a decent, experienced, proven candidate want to rely on the likes of MA to make transfer decisions?

Through SL's direct instruction, sadly but understandably, City have to be run through continually selling the family silver. Without the financial backing required to hold on to your best players, an up and coming 'Coach' making the step up would happily accept this, as LJ did, but even he got fed up with it after reportedly disagreeing with the Brownhill sale - but he had no say!

I sincerely hope we could still land a proven candidate as size of the prize is just massive but I expect we will once again have to settle for the cheap, puppetised option. Either City will have to temper or adjust their approach or this is unlikely to happen.

Comes back to ambition, so let's see..!

7 minutes ago, PFree said:

All City want is a Coach and not a Manager - as an example, why would a decent, experienced, proven candidate want to rely on the likes of MA to make transfer decisions?

Through SL's direct instruction, sadly but understandably, City have to be run through continually selling the family silver. Without the financial backing required to hold on to your best players, an up and coming 'Coach' making the step up would happily accept this, as LJ did, but even he got fed up with it after reportedly disagreeing with the Brownhill sale - but he had no say!

I sincerely hope we could still land a proven candidate as size of the prize is just massive but I expect we will once again have to settle for the cheap, puppetised option. Either City will have to temper or adjust their approach or this is unlikely to happen.

Comes back to ambition, so let's see..!

I'm not a massive Ashton fan because he talks businesswank but I think he's done well with transfer deals.

Selling Flint for £10m and getting Kalas for £7m.

We got approaching £15m for Kodjia and £17m? for Lloyd Kelly we replaced him with Dasilva who I think has at least as much potential.

We sold Brownhill and Pack but we then signed Massengo and Nagy and had plenty of change.  I think those two will come at least as good and have potential to go further than Pack.

There are other examples.

The reality is with FFP that we're going to have to sell when bigger clubs come along, so it's about getting a great offer and signing players who increase in value.

We've had a few gambles go awry (Engval, Eisa, Adelakun etc) but they're not the huge money ones.

I think someone coming in should have more influence but I don't think they'd find our transfer business offputting.

56 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

He was replaced by Pardew I recall. When they were 10th or so in the league. The rumour was Pardew appointed due to being mates with the owner. There was another rumour that the Pardew appointment was also to do with a betting dept to the same owner.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I love how some come on here and act like they actually know ?

I know, but the real question is : do they know, we know, they don't know. Or do they actually know and we don't know that they do know.

If we knew they know then we would all now know. If they knew we know they don't know maybe they would know not to say they know. 

2 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

I know, but the real question is : do they know, we know, they don't know. Or do they actually know and we don't know that they do know.

If we knew they know then we would all now know. If they knew we know they don't know maybe they would know not to say they know. 

30 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I'm not a massive Ashton fan because he talks businesswank but I think he's done well with transfer deals.

Financially yes. He's probably the best in terms of getting great deals for players, and bringing in players cheaply.

Footballing wise no. Too many players, too many players who play different styles of football, no adequately replacing Webster, Pack, Brownhill etc.

We desperately need a DoF, or at least a head scout, to help in this area. 

22 minutes ago, Bristolded1987 said:

?? I’m just laughing at steviestevieneville response as he is saying that I know . 

I never said I know ! But I have a feeling ??

fair play'87, many would have pretended to be ITK. :thumbsup:

FWIW, I most certainly am NOT! :)

If as reported Chris Hughton is genuinely interested In the job why on earth would we even bother considering anyone else until we have atleast spoken to him first?

Unless ofcourse the Board / Owner are going to show the lack of ambition that they usually do & end up employing a cheap inexperienced ‘Yes’ man. Now is not the time for that in my opinion - infact you could argue that our stock has never been higher at the time of requiring a new manager.

I have (maybe wrongly) always considered our club to be somewhat of a ‘sleeping giant’ that has been unlucky not to get the breaks needed to get to the Premier League - particularly considering smaller clubs have ‘got lucky‘ & beaten us to it. 

However there comes a time when you begin to wonder whether the Owner really wants it enough or whether he is prepared to make his own luck & take the chance.

The next few days & weeks could be very telling in the future direction of this club & my interest levels in it. Our club is currently well regarded as a strong progressive media friendly Championship club with huge potential. We must now look to take advantage of this & push on to the next level. 

Pick up the phone Mr Lansdown & get it done.

Archived