IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

Serious question. Why would Hughton take a job with a mid table championship club with no pedigree when several bigger jobs could be available to him in the next 6 months i.e Villa, West Ham, Watford, Palace, Norwich

The man is 61 yrs old does he want another few years battling to get out of the Championship ? Does he have the hunger ? or would he prefer a nice fat contract for a few years in the Premier League.

1 minute ago, BrizzleRed said:

Rather than financial issues, I could see our selling policy proving to be more of a stumbling block.  

If hypothetically we’re talking to him and saying we want you to take us up, but of course, we’ll be selling some our better players at the end of the season, we can anticipate that being quite a large stumbling block.

It’s something LJ was prepared to work with, but MA may need to be at his silver tongued best to sell that to the Chris Hughton’s of this world.

Would that be a preliminary thing? Maybe it is but there's no point in MA / JL / SL meeting CH face to face if we're miles apart on the financial terms. It could be a very short meeting! 

Yeah let's be honest here folks, the COVID situation so far impacting the finances of football and the unknown impacts on next seasons income is going to play a significant part in not only the amount of money Steve is going to make available (which any incoming manager is going to be keen on) but also the wages (and compensation package) we'd be willing to offer a new manager. I think we can therefore rule out any big names we might have been tempted to shoot for pre COVID and may look to take a punt on another (cheaper) up and coming one to help balance the books. That coupled with the possible preference to focus on developing our younger players over splashing the cash and we may end up being less attractive.

Let's lower the expectations here and we may not end up being disapointed.

It's easy to wish for big name managers when it's not our (direct) money being spent.

3 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Serious question. Why would Hughton take a job with a mid table championship club with no pedigree when several bigger jobs could be available to him in the next 6 months i.e Villa, West Ham, Watford, Palace, Norwich

The man is 61 yrs old does he want another few years battling to get out of the Championship ? Does he have the hunger ? or would he prefer a nice fat contract for a few years in the Premier League.

Thats a great point. Hopefully he wants a challenge and likes Thatchers

I've been looking at some stats, some basic underlying numbers. It's possible they have shortcomings however they seemed fairly accurate last time I looked, for this season in this area.

As per Footcharts:

Brighton- Shots Per game under Hughton at this level. Hard to judge on a half season from this data, without having to go through every match he managed in 2014/15 so let's judge on two full seasons eh?

2015/16 and 2016/17- 2015/16 first, 2016/17 below.

Shots Per Game For    Shots Per Game Against

13.37                                        11.85

13.24                                        11.39

That's a starting point. As we can see, it is not wildly dominant football. That brings me onto another point- what do people want? Is it quick wing play which in a 4-4-2 may necessitate a more counterattacking shape, is it possession based buildup, is it lots of shots? Everyone will have different preferences of course!

May as well check the home figures too as that is what the bulk of fans will see regularly!

Home 

Shots Per Home Game For    Shots Per Home Game Against

15.35                                        10.30

14.30                                        10.00

Shots on Target- something LJ can often get flak for.

Shots On Target Per Game For    Shots On Target Per Game Against

4.41                                        3.67

4.37                                        3.37

Home

Shots On Target Per Home Game For    Shots On Target Per Home Game Against

5.09                                        3.30

5.13                                         2.87

That's just a selection of stats for interest.

Now I think Hughton would be a great appointment! I do. Just not entirely sure what his preferred style might be?

7 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Yeah let's be honest here folks, the COVID situation so far impacting the finances of football and the unknown impacts on next seasons income is going to play a significant part in not only the amount of money Steve is going to make available (which any incoming manager is going to be keen on) but also the wages (and compensation package) we'd be willing to offer a new manager. I think we can therefore rule out any big names we might have been tempted to shoot for pre COVID and may look to take a punt on another (cheaper) up and coming one to help balance the books. That coupled with the possible preference to focus on developing our younger players over splashing the cash and we may end up being less attractive.

It's easy to wish for big name managers when it's not our (direct) money being spent.

Purely devil's advocate here but every other club at our level will be in the same position I would imagine, apart from those with parachute payments so surely the 'bigger names' would have to lower their expectations too? Either that or they stay out of work.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've been looking at some stats, some basic underlying numbers. It's possible they have shortcomings however they seemed fairly accurate last time I looked, for this season in this area.

As per Footcharts:

Brighton- Shots Per game under Hughton at this level. Hard to judge on a half season from this data, without having to go through every match he managed in 2014/15 so let's judge on two full seasons eh?

2015/16 and 2016/17- 2015/16 first, 2016/17 below.

That's a starting point. As we can see, it is not wildly dominant football. That brings me onto another point- what do people want? Is it quick wing play which in a 4-4-2 may necessitate a more counterattacking shape, is it possession based buildup, is it lots of shots? Everyone will have different preferences of course!

May as well check the home figures too as that is what the bulk of fans will see regularly!

Home 

Shots on Target- something LJ can often get flak for.

Home

That's just a selection of stats for interest.

Blimey! 

6 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Purely devil's advocate here but every other club at our level will be in the same position I would imagine, apart from those with parachute payments so surely the 'bigger names' would have to lower their expectations too? Either that or they stay out of work.

Indeed. Football will be taking a hit across the board.

Its interesting over on the Brighton forum that many of them think BCFC would be the perfect job for CH. One of there fans think Hughton has been waiting on this elusive Premier league job that may never materialise for him..  maybe its his expectations that may have to lower a touch and realise that this actually is a very good opportunity.

2 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

I know, but the real question is : do they know, we know, they don't know. Or do they actually know and we don't know that they do know.

If we knew they know then we would all now know. If they knew we know they don't know maybe they would know not to say they know. 

I know absolutely b****r all!

From Brighton Forum - 

This is Chris Hughton we're discussing. GREAT manager, especially in the Championship and btw GPott still needs 4 points to best his first season in the PL. If City don't get him they're ****ing nuts! The last season was a veritable pain, but what went before was magical.

Hughton and Quique Sanchez Flores are the obvious two from that list. Flores has, arguably, the "better" CV having won a European cup but Hughton would edge it for his pedigree in the Championship. Pretty much no one can beat Hughton there.

If they want PL football, and can afford him, it’s got to be Chris.

And one more not related to CH but I liked it!

I would love to see Bristol City in the Premier league - provided we're still there, one of the best away games going even if Ashton Gate is a hundred miles from the nearest mainline train station

34 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

The COVID impact isn't just going to affect us, it will affect the majority of clubs in the championship, and many will be harder hit than us.

Any manager out there with expectation of managing in the championship will probably now have to lower their own expectations accordingly, both in terms of their own salary package and also the ability of a new owner to fund new purchases.

Add in ffp biting ( even if their is a moratoruem this season) and the model City has could well become the norm.

It's like players' wages. The minute there is less money coming in, as will be the case for some time to come, we instinctively think that we won't be able to afford the same type of players. If all clubs are similarly affected, then surely the boot is on the other foot so that player need to lower their salary expectations.

2 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

I know, but the real question is : do they know, we know, they don't know. Or do they actually know and we don't know that they do know.

If we knew they know then we would all now know. If they knew we know they don't know maybe they would know not to say they know. 

46 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Consider looking at it this way - you likely have 3 or 4 years left in the job. Would you rather spend it trying to achieve positives at the right end of a league table or deflecting negatives at the wrong end of another table? I would suggest that one role is far more enjoyable than the other & will potentially create far better memories.

If CH takes this club to the Prem he will become a legend. If he keeps any of those other clubs in the Prem for a year he will have done a damn good job which will however be forgotten about within 5 years. It depends what his motivations are I suppose?

55 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Although I don't think they know any inside details about this situation I do agree with the reasoning behind it. I generally think there will be some disappointed fans because I'm not sure we will appoint CH. Time will tell whether that's a good or bad idea but I don't feel we will drop the coach as opposed to manager and bringing youth through policy.

CH will expect to buy his own players regardless of age and he usually buys older ie. Glen Murray who did fantastic for him before. This I don't think fits into the transfer policy our club has adopted the last few years.

Which in truth, has not worked

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Good point, well made! Are the chants audible to the players though? 

Yes, should be. It's played over the tannoy rather than just laid over the TV feed so the players will be able to hear it... Providing they're not on the Dolman touchline!

13 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Consider looking at it this way - you likely have 3 or 4 years left in the job. Would you rather spend it trying to achieve positives at the right end of a league table or deflecting negatives at the wrong end of another table? I would suggest that one role is far more enjoyable than the other & will potentially create far better memories.

If CH takes this club to the Prem he will become a legend. If he keeps any of those other clubs in the Prem for a year he will have done a damn good job which will however be forgotten about within 5 years. It depends what his motivations are I suppose?

I agree with this. Money aside, there’s a chance to create a great legacy here, a chance to really achieve something new for this club. Battling relegation at clubs like Watford and Palace is nothing new; it’s something they do every year.

A promotion here is a greater achievement than saving any existing Premier League club from relegation. Without a doubt we are the biggest club in the football league never to have played Premier League football and we have the best stadium never to have witnessed it. He’ll also benefit from financial backing, stability off the pitch, and a solid squad as a starting point.

If legacy and achievement is a greater motivation to Hughton than cash, then I can’t think of a more tempting proposition than us right now.

57 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Absolutely spot on, Premiership will be less affected, but EFL will be a stagnant transfer market, so it will be difficult to shift players, and the last thing we need right now is an even more bloated squad. Huge risk that we undo all the good work of the last few years, don’t go up, and suffer serious financial problems. 
It may just be that Hughton would be the right man in normal times, but at a time of great financial uncertainty, with Covid and a looming recession, financial prudence is the better option.

1 minute ago, Chappers said:

Absolutely spot on, Premiership will be less affected, but EFL will be a stagnant transfer market, so it will be difficult to shift players, and the last thing we need right now is an even more bloated squad. Huge risk that we undo all the good work of the last few years, don’t go up, and suffer serious financial problems. 
It may just be that Hughton would be the right man in normal times, but at a time of great financial uncertainty, with Covid and a looming recession, financial prudence is the better option.

You make a good point, but to fall in line with the 'Bristol Sport Model'  expect nothing more than another 'Yes' man who will tow the line and be told what to do. Doubtful that Chris Hughton or any strong experienced manager will be prepared to accept those terms...unless perhaps Mick McCarthy

1 hour ago, Loco Rojo said:

You could look at the COVID situation in another way.

With reduced attendances & non match day income down for the foreseeable, FFP seemingly under consideration due to the losses incurred by all league clubs - Our leadership may well be thinking this is the time for a calculated risk, to go for it & invest for next season to push us to the PL where it creates financial safety that is no longer reliant on match day income - which may take longer to come back.

One thing is for certain its that nobody has a clue what 2021 will be like commercially, therefore plans based on last years business models are out of the window - those who think differently will stand the best chance of survival + those with deep pockets also.

IIRC There was a lot of alignment with the BHA model if I recall and I wouldn't be surprised if this influences a decision to appoint Hughton if he's onboard with our boards plans. 

6 minutes ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

You make a good point, but to fall in line with the 'Bristol Sport Model'  expect nothing more than another 'Yes' man who will tow the line and be told what to do. Doubtful that Chris Hughton or any strong experienced manager will be prepared to accept those terms...unless perhaps Mick McCarthy

But how can we be successful with a long-term plan that changes after a few years to accommodate a manager with a totally different strategy? We have a good young squad, that puts us in a very strong position at a time of huge financial uncertainty. 

29 minutes ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

You’d hope that the club would want someone with appropriate success to come in and both work with and use his experience challenge the model. If we’re not brave enough to be challenged then it’s likely to be a long, repeating cycle of close-ish but never very close. 

1 hour ago, Keepers Ball said:

Which in truth, has not worked

A similar model to Brentford- working very nicely there, despite having less cash in the first instance.

Championship clubs are selling clubs in many cases- I could list you Brentford with the players they have sold on, hell I could even list Leeds last few years...Nottingham Forest aren't averse to selling as and when required! Even Derby, the FFP loophole kings have sold key players. Of those, our model is quite close to that of Brentford though.

I was rather hoping we would grow into a "Brentford Plus" in the medium term. Like Brentford in terms of trading upwards, but given the higher income etc, more scope over when to sell and buy- the sales in summer 2018 were necessary, no question. From Kelly onwards? Well, yes and no. 

Compared to Brentford it could be classed as a fail, in its own right? Perhaps not- not stellar but not so bad anyway.

Think we have a pretty good squad anyway- the problem for a while has been the management and increasingly so, unfortunately. IMO of course.

8 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

surely we would have sounded out the financial side

And , that in particular, maybe a sticking point.

Does anyone know what our budget will be for next season ? 

When will the stadia be open to paying customers ?

How much TV money is going to be paid out ? 

At least now we know we are budgeting for another Championship campaign .

18 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

And , that in particular, maybe a sticking point.

Does anyone know what our budget will be for next season ? 

When will the stadia be open to paying customers ?

How much TV money is going to be paid out ? 

At least now we know we are budgeting for another Championship campaign .

Do we need that many players? I don’t. I think we have a sound and talented squad with the ability to get in to playoffs under the right management 

9 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I agree if it was that simple but i don't see the bigger names lowering their demands just yet - especially when some likely to drop out of the PL will be better options for them. 

I also think there will still be clubs at our level willing to take a risk at the moment in the greater desperation to get in to the PL.

20 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Do we need that many players? I don’t. I think we have a sound and talented squad with the ability to get in to playoffs under the right management 

I agree that we have a bloated squad containing some of the most talented players ever to play for the club ,that said , I am pretty sure that any incoming coach would want to add one or two that he knows .

I am thinking more globally about the club’s likely revenue for the upcoming season. We already have a big squad budgeted for a ‘ normal ‘ Championship but at this moment we don’t know how the virus is going to affect the future. If it persists, as before, clubs will have a hugely reduced income but with staff and players on pre-crisis contracts , not pretty I am afraid. 

The likes of Hughton , McCarthy and company may have to accept, like many others , that the money on offer is now reduced as the gravy train is on the buffers .

We are in a stronger position than most clubs with SL at the helm but there is a heck of a lot of uncertainty for the future of the game.

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I agree that we have a bloated squad containing some of the most talented players ever to play for the club ,that said , I am pretty sure that any incoming coach would want to add one or two that he knows .

I am thinking more globally about the club’s likely revenue for the upcoming season. We already have a big squad budgeted for a ‘ normal ‘ Championship but at this moment we don’t know how the virus is going to affect the future. If it persists, as before, clubs will have a hugely reduced income but with staff and players on pre-crisis contracts , not pretty I am afraid. 

The likes of Hughton , McCarthy and company may have to accept, like many others , that the money on offer is now reduced as the gravy train is on the buffers .

We are in a stronger position than most clubs with SL at the helm but there is a heck of a lot of uncertainty for the future of the game.

Your last paragraph was rather depressing Major, however much I agree with it. 

Archived