IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

6 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Depends what you class as “success”....agree to disagree on this matter

Agreed. We’re now a mid table championship club. Johnson did perfectly adequately here but I don’t think he necessarily did any better than anyone else would have done given resources he was given  

For every person who would’ve done worse, there’s another who would have done better. 

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

That's the thing. I think Houghton will want to bring in a number of experienced players to try and get promotion.

And that might not even work. I find it crazy to change our philosophy to suit one manager, if that's what he wants. 

13 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

I think the issue might be more what CH expects than his salary. I think we'd be prepared to pay what he wants, probably even adjust budgets to do that. However, the reports that say he is interested do also say 'with the right backing'. If his expectations/requests of what that 'backing' means are to big it may not be possible to appoint him. 

Yep, this. Backing would suggest money and control - does his interpretation of FFP resemble SL’s? Does his idea of control allow an Ashton type figure? Will he be able to convince Ashton to amend his purchasing ethos to bring in older experienced players, if need be? 

It’s not like a footballer is being recruited. There will be several interviews and I’d imagine, like most interviews, personal financials will only be discussed as a clincher at the end of the deal. 

I think COVID changes most football transactions from here on in.  This will be one of the big appointments and many eyes will be on this.

I am a backer of Mark Ashton.  I like his ruthlessness, I for one would not want to negotiate with this man.   Transfers out he has got astonishing money for some of our players.  Transfers in seem to have been negotiated well.  I certainly like the idea of loaning a player with the transfer fee agreed at the start of the loan.

The interview process should be arduous. Any interviewee should give a detailed assessment of our squad.  Highlight the strengths and weaknesses. Provide a blue print of what he would need in the short term (1st season) medium to longer term (seasons 2-4).  What potential transfer targets he would like acquired. Our youth setup and ethos in identifying young hungry players, develop them has to have buy in.  I want to see our last 3 performances broken down.  How he would accommodate break through seasons for Morrel O'leary Walsh Semenyo etc

Any manager would need to accept the infrastructure and processes we have here.  If was massively unsuccessful then I could understand ripping it up and starting again.  But it works, works well and a track record has been set.

As a club we can give any manager a great platform to perform.  We have the strongest squad assembled in our history.  What manager would not be excited to work with Wells, Afobe up front.  Massengo developing in the midfield. Eliasson, best crosser of a ball in the championship.  A backline to include Kalas, Baker, DaSilva and hopfully Pedro.  Add the new training ground in to the that mix, we really should be aiming for a top class manager/coach.

We are in a fantastic position because we pulled the trigger early on LJ. We have the time to get this right.  It doesn't surprise me one bit we are attracting the names we are.  The 5th biggest league in the world, with a team that has gotten close over the last few years, managers should be kicking our door down.

28 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

That's the thing. I think Houghton will want to bring in a number of experienced players to try and get promotion.

And that might not even work. I find it crazy to change our philosophy to suit one manager, if that's what he wants. 

He didn’t really bring anyone in when appointed in time for the winter window of 14/15.

15/16, he didn’t go out and bring in experienced players either.

in the winter window he went and got Knockaert and Skalak, both under 24.

Think Hughton has received a lot of pre-conceived thoughts on OTIB, about both style of play and recruitment.

28 minutes ago, bris red said:

Totally agree. We have so much deadwood in this squad and potential wages to free up.

I hope and pray the board are doing everything they can behind the scenes to get in CH. Can’t ever remember wanting a manager to come to City this much to be honest - it really feels like the perfect fit at the right time.

Here’s a list of contract statuses.  Red highlights are those with no club option to extend (or at least club haven’t communicated they have one!).  First person I’d be talking to is Taylor Moore..

D415B651-572A-4FE2-AFEE-8E661CBBDF93.thumb.jpeg.5f1d55b50346d9669d18fba94602ded7.jpeg

image.png

The concensus seems to be 'Championship Hughton' -yes, but 'Premier League Hughton' - not so much.

Hughton strikes me as man who is willing to learn and grow.  Just look at the time he spent as a coach learning his trade before stepping up to first team manager.  Who's to say he hasn't reflected on his experience at Brighton in the Prem and learned from it?

Personally, I really like him.  Calm, a model pro as a player, respectful and a man who commands respect.  He would raise the profile of the club and I feel SL would put even more trust in him than LJ.  

5 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Clearly they don't post on the Brighton forum then!

image.thumb.png.2de6650ebfe4cc2bb7a25b9ab34a882b.png

image.png.31b6fadd32d6a5efcd0a182387243b36.pngimage.thumb.png.18f2beeac38ea421c785793a64f581ee.png

image.thumb.png.ef57d7a2a4777b0cfce13d7573247dda.png

image.thumb.png.e415f6f15790bbc684449757130bd7ba.png

image.png.4cb7d8a28017dbdd715af8e940ce2543.png

image.png.5b889a114c1ec70f200ff7dc9dec54f9.png

It's not often you see fans talk about an ex-manager so highly. It's hard to think of too many of ours who'd get the above comments!

When I see the majority of Brighton fans saying “yeah, he’s really good - he’ll do well for you”, I can’t help thinking of Adam El Abd!!! 

4 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Alan Nixon saying that City “want someone in the Lee Johnson mould ideally” would suggest a younger man/cheaper option unless Gary Johnson has another son that we don’t know about. 

That's not good to hear. Not a great deal of experience then. :(

9 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Alan Nixon saying that City “want someone in the Lee Johnson mould ideally” would suggest a younger man/cheaper option unless Gary Johnson has another son that we don’t know about. 

Nixon rarely gets anything right with City. Only one time I recall was the Hunt signing from Wednesday, even then he probably heard it from Wednesday’s end. 

I wouldn’t listen to him too much.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Agreed. We’re now a mid table championship club. Johnson did perfectly adequately here but I don’t think he necessarily did any better than anyone else would have done given resources he was given  

For every person who would’ve done worse, there’s another who would have done better. 

When you think about the time he's had, the money spent on players and the actual quality of the football. It's been a very, average 4 years in truth. When other managers have had less resources, less time and performed better. 

42 minutes ago, Harry said:

When I see the majority of Brighton fans saying “yeah, he’s really good - he’ll do well for you”, I can’t help thinking of Adam El Abd!!! 

Went to shit when he joined us, like O'Driscoll- seemed to happen a bit then, had a great record with Brighton El Abd...

If Bristol Bears are a tentative model, get the best coach available, let him use his experience to dictate the model rather than businessmen, invest in him and don't be afraid to sprinkle the club with players who have been there, done it, buy in to that philosophy and are role models to youngsters.

Pretty clear. Get CH in. Listen to him. He has achieved more than anyone at the club. Why we are worrying about "premier league record" etc, when we are a 12th placed champ club is beyond me. Walk before we run. All the time this club is ahead of itself and above its station. Stay in our lane where rarely has there ever been a clearer fit for this football club at thd right time.

1 minute ago, Lordofthebling said:

If Bristol Bears are a tentative model, get the best coach available, let him use his experience to dictate the model rather than businessmen, invest in him and don't be afraid to sprinkle the club with players who have been there, done it, buy in to that philosophy and are role models to youngsters.

Pretty clear. Get CH in. Listen to him. He has achieved more than anyone at the club. Why we are worrying about "premier league record" etc, when we are a 12th placed champ club is beyond me. Walk before we run. All the time this club is ahead of itself and above its station. Stay in our lane where rarely has there ever been a clearer fit for this football club at thd right time.

Spot on mate. Anyone would think the Lansdown family or Mark Ashton have previous of getting a club into the Premier league - if they did i’d be a bit more inclined to trust their judgement, but they haven’t. Ive said it before on a previous thread, lets for once put our faith into a man who HAS been there and done it and done it with a club that is so similar to ours in Brighton.

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

say he wants double, which isn't out the questions. An extra 10k a week could just mean shifting out Adelukan and Watkins, and thats the extra 10k paid for. Not even taking into account Maenpaa who is OOC, wages on Bailey Wright saved etc.

We've spunked far more cash on far less ability over the past 2 years

Who is signing them, then?

Adelakun went on loan to Rotherham, I doubt they paid more than a third of what he earns & he still has another year on his deal.

Watkins is exactly the same.

No argument at all about your last point, for instance who the **** saw the value of Rene Gilmartin as our fifth choice keeper/second (!) goalkeeper coach?

Problem with Hughton is as likely to be whether he wants to work under our current transfer set up as his wages, though Colin Calderwood is one that follows him around & Paul Trollope was at Brighton too, so how many support staff he brings could be another interesting conversation.

42 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

This would be a huge setback for the Club if true, imo.

29 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

18 minutes ago, bris red said:

Spot on mate. Anyone would think the Lansdown family or Mark Ashton have previous of getting a club into the Premier league - if they did i’d be a bit more inclined to trust their judgement, but they haven’t. Ive said it before on a previous thread, lets for once put our faith into a man who HAS been there and done it and done it with a club that is so similar to ours in Brighton.

Both spot on.

I said on the “Forever Bristol City” pod last night that it can’t be all “give give give” from the new man, the club need to realise that their own model might need a tweak to get the right man. Or you don’t necessarily get the right man.

As you say, our current set-up / model hasn’t achieved the objective set, so should be under review too.

40 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

When you think about the time he's had, the money spent on players and the actual quality of the football. It's been a very, average 4 years in truth. When other managers have had less resources, less time and performed better. 

Sorry, but I totally disagree. It might have been an average four years if we supported any other club, but barring perhaps 07/08 we’ve been generally playing better football at a higher level than we have done since... the 1990s?

We’re Bristol City. As long as I’ve supported us we’ve been mainly shit, and I suspect we’ll largely continue to be shit for the next few decades too. 

Whether it was a particularly great four seasons by anybody else’s standards is irrelevant. It was a very good four seasons for us.

Thats not the same thing as wanting them repeated though. We’re in a stronger position than we’ve ever been before (in my lifetime) and at least some of that is down to LJ.

1 hour ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

If the idea were true I wonder more about Alex Neil, Preston fans reckon he's getting frustrated through lack of funds, didn't a pne fan on here say Hugill sold for approx ~£10m and had < £1m to reinvest for a new player? Could think he'd be willing to work within a model if it meant working with increased fees for players. Talk of his football being a bit negative, working with what he has if he can't go and get the players he wants? Seem to remember them originally (and his Norwich) being more forward thinking and attacking.

52 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Who is signing them, then?

Adelakun went on loan to Rotherham, I doubt they paid more than a third of what he earns & he still has another year on his deal.

Watkins is exactly the same.

No argument at all about your last point, for instance who the **** saw the value of Rene Gilmartin as our fifth choice keeper/second (!) goalkeeper coach?

Problem with Hughton is as likely to be whether he wants to work under our current transfer set up as his wages, though Colin Calderwood is one that follows him around & Paul Trollope was at Brighton too, so how many support staff he brings could be another interesting conversation.

This is the elephant in the room.

I think there’s broad agreement that the squad is at best mis-shapen, and at worst bloated. So we need to unload.

However, we’re post (technically in)COVID, and clubs have less revenue. This means it’s less likely clubs will be spending.

So, let them go on frees?

Still doesn’t solve the issue. There is little to no chance a players next contract at this level will be on a par with his last. It’ll be less. And if it’s less, the selling club have to make up the shortfall.

There isn’t a magic wand that frees up loads of money in wages (absent contracts/loans ending) for that reason. We’re liable to be on the hook for players like Adelukan, Watkins etc wages in large part if the new man wants rid. And that in turn means less to spend.

If LJ has 3 years left on his contract, we're still going to be paying him at least another 2 milliion? I really can't see SL buying out an employed manager's contract from another club on top of that, so A.Neil, S.Gerrard, M.Robins etc are unlikely, surely? And with the preference for developing young players to sell on, this would all point towards an up and coming talent from the lower leagues. Hope i'm wrong but this would probably rule out C.Hughton and the backroom staff he'd want to bring in.

9 minutes ago, LocoPal said:

If LJ has 3 years left on his contract, we're still going to be paying him at least another 2 milliion? I really can't see SL buying out an employed manager's contract from another club on top of that, so A.Neil, S.Gerrard, M.Robins etc are unlikely, surely? And with the preference for developing young players to sell on, this would all point towards an up and coming talent from the lower leagues. Hope i'm wrong but this would probably rule out C.Hughton and the backroom staff he'd want to bring in.

To be honest most of these contracts have some sort of exit clause after a specific time frame or if LJ takes another job. Don't expect us to be paying LJ for more than 12 months max.

I think that Hughton would be near the top of of a shortlist.

But I don't think that there will be a shortlist.

I think that Robins will be appointed.

And I would be happy with that. I have a good feeling about him and I think (once appointed) that he could be the compromise between a Lansdown favourite and someone that the supporters could accept.

That said, I haven't any more clue than anyone else. Just my opinion. 

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Both spot on.

I said on the “Forever Bristol City” pod last night that it can’t be all “give give give” from the new man, the club need to realise that their own model might need a tweak to get the right man. Or you don’t necessarily get the right man.

As you say, our current set-up / model hasn’t achieved the objective set, so should be under review too.

I wonder if we’re trying to put the cart before the horse with this model?

It would surely have more chance of success if we get the best manager/ head coach we can, who can then build that identity we’re after.  What we’ve tried to do it appears, is announce this project, but had nothing tangible to build it on, other than some vague aspirations..

If on the other hand, we could get a proper knowledgable, savvy football man such as CH, or MM’C to use their knowledge to actually build something real, rather than theoretical, we may have more chance.  We could then start reflecting the same philosophy and style throughout the whole playing set-up, which LJ never managed.

I’m sure we’ve tried to model ourselves on clubs like Brentford, but they are just way better at it than us and imho, we look a disjointed, confused mess in comparison.

As has been said, get a proper football man in like CH or mad Mick and rather than spout meaningless bs at them, we should be listening to someone with far superior knowledge and has proved they know what they’re talking about.

I wonder if they would be more likely to. buy into our ‘project’ if they knew they could have real input into building something and leave a real legacy.  

You can bet a few egos will need to be reined in among some already at the club, but maybe they have some questions to answer as to why the project appears to be just stumbling along at the moment.

To be fair, if LJ has had to pay the price for not delivering, It could equally be claimed that the ‘project’ itself hasn’t performed any better either, so maybe that could do with a good shake-up.

5 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

To be honest most of these contracts have some sort of exit clause after a specific time frame or if LJ takes another job. Don't expect us to be paying LJ for more than 12 months max.

I've never been sure on this- always seems to have been fairly de rigueur for a managers contract to be paid in full when sacked- or is that inaccurate media reports?

I know Chelsea have had to pay out in full in general, dunno if they're an unusual case?

Archived