IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

17 minutes ago, bris red said:

As a person of colour myself it would be nice to see a BAME manager in charge of city, personally don’t care who i offend in saying that i am just speaking from the heart on the matter. Im sure i speak on behalf of all other City fan’s of colour aswell.. It would be a good boundary to break for the club IMO.

I couldn't care less of the race of any incumbent with all possible respect, more his ability to do the job required of him.

If CH is that man, happy days, regardless of ethnicity.

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I couldn't care less of the race of any incumbent with all possible respect, more his ability to do the job required of him.

If CH is that man, happy days, regardless of ethnicity.

Exactly this!  Stick to his principles, agree on a formation, a style of play, players to fit said formation and style, and go for it.

And they can throw the tombola in the river too.....not required for retrieval for a museum.

It would be good PR for the club I've no doubt, but their credentials should always come before a PR exercise.

The best person for the job should get the job, full stop. 

Luckily in this case, the best person for the job happens to be Chris Hughton!

4 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Exactly PF and I’ve got the same concerns. The more you hear about our structure, the less likely it feels that we’ll see a Chris Hughton or Mick McCarthy type coming in.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we’re already in discussion with Coventry regarding Mark Robins tbh and he’d probably be more accepting of our management structure.  He does sound more inspiring than many of the others being mentioned and ticks a fair few boxes, but looks to be more of an LJ mark 2, rather than the real shake-up we want to see.

Whoever we eventually choose will at least give us fans a good indicator of the true level of this club’s ambitions.

How much of a shake up does a team that's been in the top 6 for a good part of the last 2 season need?

Many are making it sound like the club needs a revolutionary manager to come in and change everything, which had we been fighting to stave of relegation we might well have needed. I see it that the club has come a long way, on and off the pitch, in the last few seasons and it is only LJ's failings that have seen us fall short over the last couple of seasons, where a different manager/coach would have seen us into the play offs.

2 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Ignorant is a good way to put it. But the latest way?? Maybe come out from under that rock.

Not used deliberately in a derogatory way...I see. Just ignorance and lack of empathy? 

Looks to me that you only read what you want and don't bother to actually look at what I said, seems it's a waste of time debating anything with you so I wont bother.

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

How much of a shake up does a team that's been in the top 6 for a good part of the last 2 season need?

Many are making it sound like the club needs a revolutionary manager to come in and change everything, which had we been fighting to stave of relegation we might well have needed. I see it that the club has come a long way, on and off the pitch, in the last few seasons and it is only LJ's failings that have seen us fall short over the last couple of seasons, where a different manager/coach would have seen us into the play offs.

Agreed, I see the squad like a fruit tree that has been growing really big and really fast. In many ways it 's everything you'd want in a fruit tree, but branches start shooting off in wild directions, it's big and green and it looks great, but it isn't beautiful, it doesn't produce great fruit. We need a new gardener to come in and take that tree, prune it where it needs it, water it, care for it, and craft it into a tree that not only looks great but also produces great fruit.

Oh, and seagulls follow trawlers fyi.

27 minutes ago, bris red said:

As a person of colour myself it would be nice to see a BAME manager in charge of city, personally don’t care who i offend in saying that i am just speaking from the heart on the matter. Im sure i speak on behalf of all other City fan’s of colour aswell.. It would be a good boundary to break for the club IMO.

Our next manager needs to be the best person for the job, but if he also happens to be BAME, then it's something I'll celebrate and embrace.

It's a big deal, because it would show that the club is inclusive (which if you look at the make up of the squad, should leave you in no doubt anyway) and can only help to raise the profile of the club (which is growing all the time).

I think that, particularly over the last decade, we've seen more BAME supporters present at the Gate. My hope would be that with CH at the helm, it would help sell the club to more individuals who fall into that category and help the club transcend any boundaries that still exist within our communities.

1 minute ago, pillred said:

Looks to me that you only read what you want and don't bother to actually look at what I said, seems it's a waste of time debating anything with you so I wont bother.

The term 'coloured' is outdated and has always caused offence due to the connotations associated with the term and its historical usage. If you can’t grasp that, then, screw you.

3 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

The thing that gets on my wick about all these large threads is that they go off at a tangent. I just wish we could stick to any news (good or bad) concerning the matter in hand, just saves people , meaning me, clicking to see the latest and finding out ,there ain't any ! (some hope, I know )

Funny enough I just clicked on your reply hoping for some news, there wasn't any!!

16 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Agreed, I see the squad like a fruit tree that has been growing really big and really fast. In many ways it 's everything you'd want in a fruit tree, but branches start shooting off in wild directions, it's big and green and it looks great, but it isn't beautiful, it doesn't produce great fruit. We need a new gardener to come in and take that tree, prune it where it needs it, water it, care for it, and craft it into a tree that not only looks great but also produces great fruit.

As I said to someone the other day - the core is excellent

We need to get numbers down and increase the quality. That's the difficult part
The other thing - find a system and stick to it. That shouldn't be as difficult

2 minutes ago, 'Orns said:

As I said to someone the other day - the core is excellent

We need to get numbers down and increase the quality. That's the difficult part
The other thing - find a system and stick to it. That shouldn't be as difficult

Yeh exactly, but he doesn't need to chop the tree down and start again. @downendcity was completely right.

I'm also sure that the club, the owners, and any incoming manager will know this as well.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh exactly, but he doesn't need to chop the tree down and start again. @downendcity was completely right.

I'm also sure that the club, the owners, and any incoming manager will know this as well.

I said on another thread a few days ago, I'm genuinely excited with the potential of the squad and announcement of the new manager

I'm sure we are viewed as attractive by plenty of people in the game, stadium, owner, squad etc - just don't rush it. This is a big summer for a lot of clubs, some stupid decisions will be made. Hopefully we don't make any and take full advantage 

29 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Sounds like a straight choice between Alan Titchmarsh and  Monty Don then!

1 minute ago, 'Orns said:

I said on another thread a few days ago, I'm genuinely excited with the potential of the squad and announcement of the new manager

I'm sure we are viewed as attractive by plenty of people in the game, stadium, owner, squad etc - just don't rush it. This is a big summer for a lot of clubs, some stupid decisions will be made. Hopefully we don't make any and take full advantage 

It really was a source of great frustration for me over the past season. Decent players, potential there, but just somehow not clicking. Hopefully whoever comes in can find the system that fits these players and allows them to confidently play their own, undoubtedly excellent, natural game.

Is that Hughton? None of us know. I am skeptical of appointing someone solely because they've "done it before", but I accept that the man has a good CV, especially at our level, and so would be an appointment that would be hard to criticise...until we lose 3-0 in his first game of course. 

Just now, downendcity said:

Sounds like a straight choice between Alan Titchmarsh and  Monty Don then!

The Don for me everytime.

36 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Those mushrooms you had - did they taste a bit off ?

25 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

The term 'coloured' is outdated and has always caused offence due to the connotations associated with the term and its historical usage. If you can’t grasp that, then, screw you.

I think people just get exasperated when someone is fine with “person of colour” but offended by “coloured person”. The similarity is just too close for comfort, surely? And we all have to try and figure out whether “Black” is acceptable this year or not.

The truth is that in all these issues - as in the disability field - every successive acceptable word gradually gets vetoed as it becomes seen as an insult. Crippled, handicapped, disabled are all perfectly neutral words that we use in other areas, but have been seen as an insult, so no longer allowed. 

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Chris Hughton is my choice because he seems to be the outstanding candidate to be honest and I don't think being of mixed heritage has held him back in his managerial career although i'll happily stand corrected.

10 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I think people just get exasperated when someone is fine with “person of colour” but offended by “coloured person”. The similarity is just too close for comfort, surely? And we all have to try and figure out whether “Black” is acceptable this year or not.

The truth is that in all these issues - as in the disability field - every successive acceptable word gradually gets vetoed as it becomes seen as an insult. Crippled, handicapped, disabled are all perfectly neutral words that we use in other areas, but have been seen as an insult, so no longer allowed. 

The irony is the original person who used the term thanked whoever pointed it out, and quietly changed their post which could have been the end of it.

6 hours ago, Oops said:

Are you offended?

Or offended on someone else’s behalf?

Your virtue has been successfully signalled, so on with the discussion please.

It was that "getting offended on others behalf" guy (who was incredibly ironically getting offended on the original persons behalf) who sparked all this.

It's not hard if you use the wrong term to just apologise, or even just make a mental note to try to change what you say next time you're in that situation. It takes basically no effort and makes people happier, so why not?

Personally I think it's right to point these things out when we see them, otherwise we're contributing. Most people aren't saying it in a malicious way, so it can just be quietly noted/changed as the original person, to their great credit, did.

11 minutes ago, Leveller said:

You don’t have to figure it out. Black is acceptable, Coloured isn’t. Coloured may well have been accepted amongst white people in the 60’s 70’s and 80’s but to have your skin colour so vaguely described is heart breaking. Imagine how exasperated black people feel rather than being concerned about how white people can adapt.  The term ‘coloured’ has always been offensive. People need educating and I fully believe from a young age, older people just need to be aware and willing to adapt. I would never call someone racist for saying It but it is ignorant.

im not going to post here on this subject anymore on this thread but my DMs are always open.

54 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I’d say, forget the league position and look at the performances, as that’s what needs a shake up.  

We were nicking a lot of points that our performances didn’t warrant and as always,  that catches up with you in the end. Lee found that out to his cost, which is why he’s now out of a job.

Many of the displays we’ve seen in the last couple of years don’t look like a team who are pushing for the top flight, so that needs to be addressed and I’m very happy to stand by the shake-up remark, if that’s what’s needed to up the performance levels to what’s needed to mount a genuine challenge.

1 hour ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Before anyone bites my head off, this is a genuine question. I am asking because I do not know the answer. 

I know that saying ‘coloured’ is wrong, but I also know that saying ‘persons of colour’ is OK. Please can someone tell me why?  As I say, this is a genuine question. . 

48 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

You don’t have to figure it out. Black is acceptable, Coloured isn’t. Coloured may well have been accepted amongst white people in the 60’s 70’s and 80’s but to have your skin colour so vaguely described is heart breaking. Imagine how exasperated black people feel rather than being concerned about how white people can adapt.  The term ‘coloured’ has always been offensive. People need educating and I fully believe from a young age, older people just need to be aware and willing to adapt. I would never call someone racist for saying It but it is ignorant.

im not going to post here on this subject anymore on this thread but my DMs are always open.

You don’t have to answer, but it’s just illogical to use “vaguely described” for coloured, when person of colour is fine. My point was that these things all change, and certainly there was a time in the U.K. when “coloured” was used because black was seen as offensive.

29 minutes ago, hail gus cesaer said:

No it’s the internet that means anyone could be ******* anywhere! Different places have different tolerance levels how dare you assume anything!

:laugh: very dramatic 

10 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Before anyone bites my head off, this is a genuine question. I am asking because I do not know the answer. 

I know that saying ‘coloured’ is wrong, but I also know that saying ‘persons of colour’ is OK. Please can someone tell me why?  As I say, this is a genuine question. . 

I think "coloured" denotes more ignorant times, and was a term white folks used to describe black folks. It was a way of saying black people were tainted, or stained almost, in some way. Not quite right/as pure as us white folks. Like yer sheets not being whiter than white.

"People of colour" came after, I believe, from the US, and was deemed more respectful for a time, but was actually in the Oxford English dictionary in the late 1700s (so, probably a bit dodgy originally), and not without controversy now (yes, it's a minefield). I don't believe it is universally popular with black people. "People of colour" is a bit of a talking point in the US currently.

I think most black people prefer to be called "black" if necessary, and many are not happy with "people of colour." 

Archived