IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

24 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Cruttenden is ITK. If this falls through he’ll never live it down.

I've heard from someone who has got things right in the past that Hughton does like visiting woods, and normally drives to them, so there could be something in this one. 

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not ITK, but I still think we will announce our new head-coach ahead if the Stoke game, even if he doesn’t start his job til a point after.

I think we want new man to assess squad quickly in what is likely to be a short turn around ahead of 20/21, even if the transfer window goes on beyond..

I believe the players were told in March to not expect a close-season, and to go straight into pre-season.  They might get a week off, but that’ll be 

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

So tactically I believe Hughton has always been a back 4 guy with 2 big centre halves. And often goes a kind of 451/4411. Sometimes goes 442.

So what we see now from Holden I don't expect to see under him which I think would be a shame.

And will he play the kids? Will he play Taylor Moore alongside Kalas. I believe he'd prefer Baker and to bring in one more really big centre back a bit like Duffy type. So Moore could be way down the pecking order.

Will Walsh be given a go. I imagine Korey is his kind of player. And I imagine he'd want a Kayal, Sidwell or Stephens type midfielder in there.

With Eliasson rumours that he may be off in the summer and Houghton liking wide men, does he go with O'Dowda and Weimann on the flanks? Wouldn't surprise me. 

It doesn't excite me at all to be honest and I've seen some Brighton fans saying he won't trust in youth.

It is fair enough he doesn't as I don't believe playing pragmatic football generally suits young players.

I expect a bit more physicality added to our squad. Some experience and it might work, who knows.

Regards playing youth, I think bringing our young players through will be part of the job requirement and discussed at interview stage. I'd imagine he has already done a rough assessment of the squad and given Lansdown a vision.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not ITK, but I still think we will announce our new head-coach ahead if the Stoke game, even if he doesn’t start his job til a point after.

I think we want new man to assess squad quickly in what is likely to be a short turn around ahead of 20/21, even if the transfer window goes on beyond..

I believe the players were told in March to not expect a close-season, and to go straight into pre-season.  They might get a week off, but that’ll be it.

Agree with the quick turnaround between seasons it makes sense to have a new guy in place ASAP to allow them to assess the squad.

It'll be interesting to see what impact that has on the squad for the last couple of games (although credit to Holden). 

If Hughton is our man , I firmly believe he’s here with remit of promotion next season. If Villa & B’mouth are relegated sure to be sanctions from an FFP perspective and could see a relative level playing field financially 

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

Regards playing youth, I think bringing our young players through will be part of the job requirement and discussed at interview stage. I'd imagine he has already done a rough assessment of the squad and given Lansdown a vision.

Its all well and good Mr Lansdown wanting to bring youth through but if the Academy doesn't continue to produce any of top end Champ/Prem level then the new manager/coach would be negligent if he selected them.

Hughton made some clever signings in the summer before Brighton were promoted to Prem. He signed Shane Duffy from Blackburn for 4 million, Knockaert from Standard Liege for £3 million (unreal find). He also found Hemed for £1.2 million from LaLiga 2, and also picked up some clever free transfers in the champ like Bobby Zamora, Rosenior, Bong, Sidwell. Bloke has an eye for good signings that won’t break the bank. I’m sure Ashton and Lansdown will be very aware at that. He only actually spent big when they got to the Prem which obviously is fine within reason! 

I think if he does become our manager, I’d like to think he’d find us a couple of ‘gems’ from European leagues, as well as a few clever free transfers. Combine that with our youth like Moore, Morrell, Walsh, Massengo, Szmodics then surely we’d be happy with that. His biggest issue will be streamlining the squad, and getting rid of the deadwood so to speak. 

8 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Its all well and good Mr Lansdown wanting to bring youth through but if the Academy doesn't continue to produce any of top end Champ/Prem level then the new manager/coach would be negligent if he selected them.

Yeah absolutely. @JonDolman referenced Moore and Walsh, so we weren't talking about the fresh academy grads here.

I think the new man will be told that players like Walsh, Morrell, Semenyo, Moore and especially Massengo are ones that have come of age and deserve a fair chance. 

I am failing to understand where this whole Hughton won’t play youth has come from. He was Spur’s under 21 coach from 93 to 99, I believe, and so that appears to me a hell of a lot more experience working with youth, at a high level, than our last manager whose remit involved “promoting youth.” And saying that Hughton then became assistance coach at spurs from 99 to 07, he must have seen some of those come through the team. 

Sounds a much better fit for “the pathway.”

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

So tactically I believe Hughton has always been a back 4 guy with 2 big centre halves. And often goes a kind of 451/4411. Sometimes goes 442.

So what we see now from Holden I don't expect to see under him which I think would be a shame.

And will he play the kids? Will he play Taylor Moore alongside Kalas. I believe he'd prefer Baker and to bring in one more really big centre back a bit like Duffy type. So Moore could be way down the pecking order.

Will Walsh be given a go. I imagine Korey is his kind of player. And I imagine he'd want a Kayal, Sidwell or Stephens type midfielder in there.

With Eliasson rumours that he may be off in the summer and Houghton liking wide men, does he go with O'Dowda and Weimann on the flanks? Wouldn't surprise me. 

It doesn't excite me at all to be honest and I've seen some Brighton fans saying he won't trust in youth.

It is fair enough he doesn't as I don't believe playing pragmatic football generally suits young players.

I expect a bit more physicality added to our squad. Some experience and it might work, who knows.

Yeah he did like 4-4-2 in 15/16 and the 16/17 promotion season. Could he yet convince Eliasson that he will look to make him a star in the 'Knockaert' mould? Hughton would be the man to really help Eliasson in that sense. 

Noticed Shane Duffy has just the one year left on his contract at Brighton too, and is not favored by Potter. Duffy Kalas partnership for 2020/21? 

I'm not in the know of how Brighton's academy or young players were performing when Hughton was manager there, but perhaps he'd be impressed by what he would see in people like Morrell, Walsh, Massengo. 

Really key to try and keep Fam onboard, as a settled partnership with him and Wells could be pretty damn good. The key is getting the goals from elsewhere. In that 2016/Season, they had Murray (22 goals) Knockaert (15) Baldock (11) Hemed (11) which is insane...

13 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Hughton made some clever signings in the summer before Brighton were promoted to Prem. He signed Shane Duffy from Blackburn for 4 million, Knockaert from Standard Liege for £3 million (unreal find). He also found Hemed for £1.2 million from LaLiga 2, and also picked up some clever free transfers in the champ like Bobby Zamora, Rosenior, Bong, Sidwell. Bloke has an eye for good signings that won’t break the bank. I’m sure Ashton and Lansdown will be very aware at that. He only actually spent big when they got to the Prem which obviously is fine within reason! 

I think if he does become our manager, I’d like to think he’d find us a couple of ‘gems’ from European leagues, as well as a few clever free transfers. Combine that with our youth like Moore, Morrell, Walsh, Massengo, Szmodics then surely we’d be happy with that. His biggest issue will be streamlining the squad, and getting rid of the deadwood so to speak. 

Tbf when he made those signings they were big money. 4m for Duffy I don’t think was a steal but paying near the premium for a championship CB at the time. 

Knockaert had nearly 100 games in the league for Leicester before that spell in Belgium. So he wasn’t unknown. 

Hemed was a good buy not outstanding. 

Pretty sure the frees would have been big wages at the time too. 

My point is that he did come in and spend and mostly on players we probably wouldn’t want to invest in. He is not a perfect fit for Bristol City in how we like to operate. The hope is that he can settle a little on what he wants and we can give in a little to get 1-2 he wants that maybe we would not consider under LJ. 

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Problem is if Hughton has to take a new approach that he hasn't before then we are getting a different manager to what worked for him at previous clubs.

He won’t imo . He’s a manager that actually has a philosophy and sticks to it by & large. It won’t be free flowing expansive football , but I’m willing to accept that for a Manager who will have us challenging for promotion. Let’s not forget, in his two successful promotion teams , they’ve scored plenty of goals , so it won’t be boring. 

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He won’t imo . He’s a manager that actually has a philosophy and sticks to it by & large. It won’t be free flowing expansive football , but I’m willing to accept that for a Manager who will have us challenging for promotion. Let’s not forget, in his two successful promotion teams , they’ve scored plenty of goals , so it won’t be boring. 

In fairness, that Newcastle team I could of got promoted. And I’m a short sighted fat bloke who can’t talk any sense. 

The club needs to gets its finger out, and make a decision. All this faffing about, maybe waiting 'til the season ends, could mean we lose the best pickings,  especially when relegation/promotion issues are sorted, and the managerial merry go round gets into full swing.

Let's be honest here, we have a decent, if overmanned squad with some fine players in it.

Most Managers take over a club in trouble, this is different. CH would be walking in to a very strong situation unlike many incumbent new Managers.

For me, our issue is striking that elusive balance between attacking and defensive football, keeping the back door closed slightly more than we have would be the starting point for me but I have every confidence in CH, if appointed, to find that balance. If he's held talks and is 'awaiting appointment, wouldn't that suggest finances re transfers would have been discussed and he's content with the tools at his disposal? I don't know what happens at these meetings and to what level funds are discussed. 

It's a genuinely ambitious appointment IMHO and let's hope it works.

38 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Yeah, how many youth products have played this season - you can’t play them if 1. Manager doesn’t want 2. They’re endlessly out on loan 3. You’ve got too many experienced players 4. The young players aren’t good enough. 

Points 2, 3 and maybe 4 are as much in SL  and MA hands as the manager/head coach. 

4 minutes ago, everreddy said:

The club needs to gets its finger out, and make a decision. All this faffing about, maybe waiting 'til the season ends, could mean we lose the best pickings,  especially when relegation/promotion issues are sorted, and the managerial merry go round gets into full swing.

But the club shouldn’t rush into anything.  I don’t consider a month or two to appoint a new manager to be ‘faffing about‘.  Candidates have to be interviewed, contracts negotiated, due diligence carried out.  Let’s get this one right.

11 minutes ago, everreddy said:

It’s been a week FFS ?

1 hour ago, Kingswoodactor said:

The question is did HE have a good eye for a signing, or was there a director of football/head of recruitment type that identified those players?

Remember, every candidate we are considering is only as good as the infrastructure around him.

28 minutes ago, eric04 said:

The question is did HE have a good eye for a signing, or was there a director of football/head of recruitment type that identified those players?

Remember, every candidate we are considering is only as good as the infrastructure around him.

So was LJ a bad coach in a good infrastructure or a good coach in a bad infrastructure, or a bit of both?

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

And I don't think it suits the likes of Moore, Walsh, Morrell, Massengo to maybe play the percentages more rather than what I want which is passing football, out playing the opponents, which is also very entertaining imo.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Anyone that plays great football that naturally would suit our young technical players we have, which means I imagine they'd get a chance in a Brentford kind of football philosophy. And of course someone having success in a previous job.

Lets remember that Walsh, Moore, and Morrell aren't real youngsters - they're all around 23 I think. Still young, but it's not like they're a bunch of raw 18/19 year olds who are fresh out the academy. I see no reason Hughton wouldn't play them if they were good enough.

G McG has spoken about those earlier rumours:

“I don’t know if Chris Hughton is telling friends that – as per that article. But I can add that we were told the same detail last week. We haven’t reported that however as we have our doubts if it is true and we haven’t been able to confirm it with any other sources.

“We made contact with Chris Hughton ourselves last week in fact, but he didn’t wish to speak (understandably). Additionally, I can throw in that we spoke to a very senior source at Bristol City too and they said ‘never say never’ regarding a more experienced manager-type person coming into the club.”

?

Archived