IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

Just now, Notbarrymanc said:

G McG has spoken about those earlier rumours:

“I don’t know if Chris Hughton is telling friends that – as per that article. But I can add that we were told the same detail last week. We haven’t reported that however as we have our doubts if it is true and we haven’t been able to confirm it with any other sources.

“We made contact with Chris Hughton ourselves last week in fact, but he didn’t wish to speak (understandably). Additionally, I can throw in that we spoke to a very senior source at Bristol City too and they said ‘never say never’ regarding a more experienced manager-type person coming into the club.”

?

"Never say never"? That sounds like a more experienced managerial appointment is the LAST RESORT option being considered by the club.

I know we need to get this right but come on City, get moving. Some clubs sack in the morning and replace in the afternoon. Time we decide all the best candidates will be snapped up elsewhere. Just as an aside, I wonder if Cotts applied this time, just to finish the job he started.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It’s been a week FFS ?

... and look whats happened with our team, in a week!!!

....regarding the appointment, when a top manager like Hughton becomes available, and "expresses an interest", then there's no point in waiting until another, probably more attractive club, comes in with a more positive offer...!

1 minute ago, marmite said:

I know we need to get this right but come on City, get moving. Some clubs sack in the morning and replace in the afternoon. Time we decide all the best candidates will be snapped up elsewhere. Just as an aside, I wonder if Cotts applied this time, just to finish the job he started.

Exactly!!!

1 minute ago, everreddy said:

......regarding the appointment, when a top manager like Hughton becomes available, and "expresses an interest", then there's no point in waiting until another, probably more attractive club, comes in with a more positive offer...!

It's quite obvious that there's lots going on that we are not party to. They're hardly going to be sat around thinking "hmmm, I wonder if we should kick off this whole recruitment thing some time soon?"

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

"Never say never"? That sounds like a more experienced managerial appointment is the LAST RESORT option being considered by the club.

Doesn't sound last resort to me sounds like 'We'd rather appoint a head coach (as opposed to 'manager-type' appointment) but should one apply who ticks every box then we'd put real consideration to it'

Also you're relying on the how serious the comment is from the person some use 'never say never' when it means a real long shot, some use it differently knowing it could well happen.

2 minutes ago, everreddy said:

when a top manager like Hughton becomes available, and "expresses an interest", then there's no point in waiting until another, probably more attractive club, comes in with a more positive offer...!

He’s been available for 14 months, I wouldn’t panic, I’d also not be believing clickbait.

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Doesn't sound last resort to me sounds like 'We'd rather appoint a head coach (as opposed to 'manager-type' appointment) but should one apply who ticks every box then we'd put real consideration to it'

Also you're relying on the how serious the comment is from the person some use 'never say never' when it means a real long shot, some use it differently knowing it could well happen.

Hope it's the latter because I think that's what we need atm.

Looking at Hughton's record at Norwich and it's not all that bad. Finished 11th in his first season. Second season wasn't a good one, however Norwich sacked him with five games to go when they were five points CLEAR of the relegation zone. They put Neil Adams in charge and consequently lost four of their last five games and got relegated! Suggests that may not have been a wise decision. Hughton hadn't lost more than two games in a row all season...

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

But he could just say that and not actually do it couldn't he?

I'm sure Cotts agreed to things when he took the job and a year later wouldn't even pick a youth player on the bench, instead choosing to have one less squad member.

Look at the ages our squad in 14/15?  Also had a rookie on the bench all season in Dave Richards rather than bring in a more experienced keeper who would take up budget.  Cotts got a lot of stick re not filling the bench, and although the match day experience would’ve been good, he was never gonna sub them on.  What did he do it, once or twice?  Those players under 24 didn’t just play here and there they racked up lots of games.

People forget his young that squad was.  Pack was 23, same age as Morrell, same age as Walsh will be come 20/21.  Our 3 CBs total ages were 22, 24 and 21.

8B064E0A-0F13-409C-9E23-981569BC8816.thumb.jpeg.9150a1a812cb5b2cb14e73d0a53eb11e.jpeg

2 hours ago, daored said:

Agree with the quick turnaround between seasons it makes sense to have a new guy in place ASAP to allow them to assess the squad.

It'll be interesting to see what impact that has on the squad for the last couple of games (although credit to Holden). 

If Hughton is our man , I firmly believe he’s here with remit of promotion next season. If Villa & B’mouth are relegated sure to be sanctions from an FFP perspective and could see a relative level playing field financially 

Most definitely play-offs.

14 minutes ago, marmite said:

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Looking at Hughton's record at Norwich and it's not all that bad. Finished 11th in his first season. Second season wasn't a good one, however Norwich sacked him with five games to go when they were five points CLEAR of the relegation zone. They put Neil Adams in charge and consequently lost four of their last five games and got relegated! Suggests that may not have been a wise decision. Hughton hadn't lost more than two games in a row all season...

However a Norwich contact of mind said: Basing this on his time at Norwich, the most turgid football I have ever watched. Utterly dreadful and got to the point I got bored of going to watch games. That said he appears to play differently in the championship than in PL. 

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep I guess its as much about the experience at this level, and with these particular players are they the right type of player for Hughton.

I am not sure he'd like a Taylor Moore type over a Baker for example.

I’m sure Hughton will pick him if he’s good enough for the system he wants to play.  Duffy, Dunk, Goldson, March we’re all 24 or under in their promotion season.  So were Skalak and Knockaert.

Does Hughton have a type?  Lots of people think so.  I think his type might be “good players” ?

3 minutes ago, Selred said:

However a Norwich contact of mind said: Basing this on his time at Norwich, the most turgid football I have ever watched. Utterly dreadful and got to the point I got bored of going to watch games. That said he appears to play differently in the championship than in PL. 

I can see that if you're a club resourced like Norwich, your main tactic in the PL will be trying to negate opposition tactics and hang on. Hang on grimly to whatever points you can get and to your PL status.

In the Championship, such a club can play open, attacking football with the aim to get promoted.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m sure Hughton will pick him if he’s good enough for the system he wants to play.  Duffy, Dunk, Goldson, March we’re all 24 or under in their promotion season.  So were Skalak and Knockaert.

Does Hughton have a type?  Lots of people think so.  I think his type might be “good players” ?

Looking at what knockaert was like,,, elliasson must be begging for hughton to come in

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I can see that if you're a club resourced like Norwich, your main tactic in the PL will be trying to negate opposition tactics and hang on. Hang on grimly to whatever points you can get and to your PL status.

In the Championship, such a club can play open, attacking football with the aim to get promoted.

I continue to be amazed that people even need this pointing out to them. You can’t compare performances in the two divisions. It’s chalk and cheese. 

8 minutes ago, Selred said:

Yes, I don't doubt it wasn't attractive to watch. Nevertheless they beat Arsenal, Tottenham (at White Hart Lane) Man United and Man City in those two seasons off the top of my head. Got to a League Cup QF too, I think.

They're going down this season for the FIFTH time from the Premier League with a record sixth lowest ever points tally. Playing some nice stuff but ultimately don't look up for the fight and are going down with a whimper.

It could be argued that keeping Norwich out of the Premier League drop zone for the best part of two seasons is quite an achievement, no matter how it's done. 

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Arguably Farke should have deployed more 'pragmatic' tactics this season. 

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, I don't doubt it wasn't attractive to watch. Nevertheless they beat Arsenal, Tottenham (at White Hart Lane) Man United and Man City in those two seasons off the top of my head. Got to a League Cup QF too, I think.

They're going down this season for the FIFTH time from the Premier League with a record sixth lowest ever points tally. Playing some nice stuff but ultimately don't look up for the fight and are going down with a whimper.

It could be argued that keeping Norwich out of the Premier League drop zone for the best part of two seasons is quite an achievement, no matter how it's done. 

Very much an achievement if he just had a remit of 'keep us in division to bolster finances' he could have adapted to a better play style over a few seasons when able to bring players in. 

24 minutes ago, Selred said:

Would that have been when they were in the Prem Selred? Most supporters only remember the bad times just before a Manager leaves and forgets the excellent job done before. Hughton being one example and the German chap that took Huddersfield up another. Victims of their own success maybe?

18 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The games I’ve watched them, they are incredibly naive....we all know you get punished in the Prem, yet they continued to try to play their triangles in the centre of their defensive third, with full-backs high up.

15 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Would that have been when they were in the Prem Selred? Most supporters only remember the bad times just before a Manager leaves and forgets the excellent job done before. Hughton being one example and the German chap that took Huddersfield up another. Victims of their own success maybe?

Not for Norwich, Hughton didn't get them promoted. So they only have experiences of him in the Prem. 

Archived