IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

11 hours ago, ukneil said:

Roughly how much would it be to look at Wellens area?

Asking for a friend...

I wouldn't want to look at the lowe area though! :shocking:

14 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

Lois Diony ? absolute horse shite! 

Come on - be fair

..............he wasn't that good.

1 hour ago, BCFC Grim said:

I knew some smart ass would say I'm not paying it. 

Offcourse I'm not, I dont own the club and not worth a billion? ( cant be far off). 

All those managers have nothing on Hughton at this level. Nothing even close so a pretty poor comparison.

If hes willing to waste money on  countless players, you'd think a top level coach at this level wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

That all being said, its probably a bullshit story anyway.

47 minutes ago, Kibs said:

£1m a year, or in footballers terms, £19k a week.

For those balking at the idea, what do you think our top players earn?

30 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We paid Lois Diony £20k a week so if SL can't see the value in paying an experienced manager like Chris Hughton £20k a week, then we might as well give up.

£20k pw / £1m pa seems about right for Hughton in the Championship, no doubt he’ll double (maybe more) that if he gets us up.

As many are saying, we pay it (and more) for players, why wouldn’t you pay it for the head-coach.  The advantage of Hughton is no compensation either.

What we don’t know with any of the candidates is whether they want to bring their own me. With them etc, it’s not just a one person pound sign, especially if you have to pay off Holden and McAllister too.

But City are in their most marketable position, and they should seek to get the best man that the budget can stretch too.

If Hughton is the right man, he’ll understand the budgetary constraints of the championship and FFP.  If he is worth his salt (I think he is) he’ll get the best out of the resources available to him, including the current squad.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Still at St. Etienne. Hasn't played too much but got a couple of goals in Ligue 1.

I remember when he joined lots of respected French football writers were saying he was far better than Diedhiou. I get the impression he was in a bad place whilst here.

Bristol’s alright. ?

1 hour ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Who we appoint next will be a direct indicator of where we are as a club, it is that simple. All of the lingo bingo by Ashton et al will be put to one side, and we will see where we are.

option 1 - Hughton, Gerrard, Allardyce or similar. We are not trading our best players Unless it’s a deal we can’t refuse, we are likely to sign players ready to go, and we are oooking at prem in 2-3 seasons maximum.

option 2 - Lowe, Wellens, Flynn or similar. We will trade best players, bring through youth and rough diamonds from lower leagues. Prem, maybe quickly but more likely status quo and top 6 would be amazing. 

either option has its ups and downs, but this is the most transparent decision we will see, which is very interesting! 

Or option 3. Appoint the caretaker "continuity is the key, shared proven vision, build on Lee's great work " etc etc.

40 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We paid Lois Diony £20k a week so if SL can't see the value in paying an experienced manager like Chris Hughton £20k a week, then we might as well give up.

Also, no compo for Hughton like there would surely be for the much touted Stevie G.

Regarding Sam Allerdyce, not for me thanks. Not just the style of football, this is a man who wasn’t satisfied with the massive money he was on with the England job, he still wanted more. Add in the strong rumours throughout the years.

If we’re talking experience and good people, then Hughton or McCarthy are a far better fit for me personally.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If Hughton is the right man, he’ll understand the budgetary constraints of the championship and FFP.  If he is worth his salt (I think he is) he’ll get the best out of the resources available to him, including the current squad.

This is one thing I don't get, when so many fans say that someone like Hughton would only come here if  he gets "the right backing" from the owner.

For a long time many fans have not only criticised LJ, but also SL for not backing his head coach and forcing LJ to sell his best players. I would hope that any experienced manager, such as Hughton, would be knowledgable enough about the championship to recognise the sea change that has taken place over recent years, especially as far as ffp is concerned, and that he might just grasp that sustainability will be the buzz word at more and more clubs.

With stadium sales and transfer embargoes affecting what most would regard as "big" clubs anyone that doesn't understand the new financial realities, and especially now post pandemic,  of life at our level doesn't deserve to be in the job to start with and best limit his options to clubs that have enjoyed parachute payments - the likes of Sunderland, 'Boro, Wigan, Huddersfield, Stoke  etc. etc.

Accordingly, while I don't think we should be penny pinching over the salary for the right man, I think we should not be caving in in order to get that man at any price.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

You’re not paying it though, are you?

This “serious about promotion” bit, you do know no one guarantees promotion, do they?

Plus SL has spent a fortune of his own money on the club, do you really think he doesn’t want to go up?

If true (& I have no idea if it is) this seems to be a huge salary for a Championship manager, more than double many who are doing well (Harris, Rowett, Neil, Bowyer) in our league are on.

SL must know, if he wants a manager with a proven history of getting out of this league he’s going to be paying a lot more than he was to LJ. He’s not a naive businessman is he. This is just a rumour by someone who hasn’t got a clue imo.

8 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Regarding Sam Allerdyce, not for me thanks. Not just the style of football, this is a man who wasn’t satisfied with the massive money he was on with the England job, he still wanted more. Add in the strong rumours throughout the years.

If we’re talking experience and good people, then Hughton or McCarthy are a far better fit for me personally.

If we're talking personally, then Rachel Riley would be  a far better fit for me!

A bit of context around the £1 million a year for Hughton, Bielsa at Leeds is on around £3.5 million a year (although that does include all his staff, so includes all coaches, data analyst's wages etc too). What a bargain that has turned into for them, it's only 2 years since they were mid table mediocrity!  

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/marcelo-bielsas-bumper-leeds-wage-21962706

11 minutes ago, downendcity said:

This is one thing I don't get, when so many fans say that someone like Hughton would only come here if  he gets "the right backing" from the owner.

For a long time many fans have not only criticised LJ, but also SL for not backing his head coach and forcing LJ to sell his best players. I would hope that any experienced manager, such as Hughton, would be knowledgable enough about the championship to recognise the sea change that has taken place over recent years, especially as far as ffp is concerned, and that he might just grasp that sustainability will be the buzz word at more and more clubs.

With stadium sales and transfer embargoes affecting what most would regard as "big" clubs anyone that doesn't understand the new financial realities, and especially now post pandemic,  of life at our level doesn't deserve to be in the job to start with and best limit his options to clubs that have enjoyed parachute payments - the likes of Sunderland, 'Boro, Wigan, Huddersfield, Stoke  etc. etc.

Accordingly, while I don't think we should be penny pinching over the salary for the right man, I think we should not be caving in in order to get that man at any price.

Yep.  That’s probably I keep adding phrases like “any manager worth his salt”.  No Champ manager these days can expect unlimited funds, we’ve been working under FFP for too long (whatever it’s rights or wrongs).  Clubs like Villa, Derby etc have found a one-off loophole, but in Derby’s case they’ve used their joker and hopefully they fail, and reality hits!

Hughton, if he’s worth his salt (there I go again), will understand the budget.  He either backs himself, or he drops out if the running.  There aren’t gonna be many teams, if any, in as an attractive financial position as City....apart from the clubs coming down with PPs.

From City’s point of view, Hughton (and McCarthy) are unemployed too.

If you think he is the best, I’m sure SL is weighing up the comparable costs if a free-agent and an under contract manager.

I've always thought that if you want the finer things in life, the price might not always feel justified but that's the price and if you want it, you pay it.

For what would be one of the highest profile managers we have ever appointed, it will be a high price but a reasonable one.

Go for it Steve, treat yourself.

1 hour ago, Kibs said:

£1m a year, or in footballers terms, £19k a week.

For those balking at the idea, what do you think our top players earn?

I always have thought that if I ran a football club, I would appoint the best manager money could buy. That position is of far greater importance than any single player and worthy of the best salary in the Club.

Ideally, I’d have the salary weighted towards performance...but that’s down to negotiation.

By the sound of it, that would be a £4 million contract for 4 years, equivalent to a couple of CoD’s and a Gustav.

We’ve continually spent the money on players, it’s now time to spend it on a decent manager.
If the figures bandied about are true - £1m pa for Hughton and £2.5m pa +contract buy out for Gerrard, it’s an absolute no brainer who we should go for (imho it is anyway regardless of salaries but wouldn’t be unhappy with SG) and I would expect SL to feel the same. I also don’t think he’ll baulk at paying those wages given what he was paying LJ and what he pays Pat Lam. We shall see though - hopefully soon. 

21 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I always have thought that if I ran a football club, I would appoint the best manager money could buy. That position is of far greater importance than any single player and worthy of the best salary in the Club.

Ideally, I’d have the salary weighted towards performance...but that’s down to negotiation.

By the sound of it, that would be a £4 million contract for 4 years, equivalent to a couple of CoD’s and a Gustav.

I think Wenger was always the highest earner at Arsenal, certainly later into his career, for me it makes complete sense really

For those who feel we should “just spend the money”, how about this. 

SL says “ok customers, oops no sorry, supporters. I’m going to appoint Chris Hughton, but his salary is double that of Lee and so, to cover the difference I’m going to add £50 to all season tickets. 
I thank you for recently renewing your £450 seat. Please can you transfer another £50 before the end of July and we’ll arrange the appointment of Mr Hughton”. 

What’s your thoughts now? 
Just a devils advocate kinda query by the way. 

• Admin
1 minute ago, Harry said:

SL says “ok customers, oops no sorry, supporters. I’m going to appoint Chris Hughton, but his salary is double that of Lee and so, to cover the difference I’m going to add £50 to all season tickets. 
I thank you for recently renewing your £450 seat. Please can you transfer another £50 before the end of July and we’ll arrange the appointment of Mr Hughton”. 

Does that mean we get a refund for when LJ was in charge?

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’d pay extra if it meant the quality of my ‘product’ was better.  Ideally I’d rather divided up the current running costs differently so that the managerial costs were higher and player costs lower but yeah I’d pay I reckon.  I’d also expect my ST to be lower were we to appoint a Lowe or a Ainsworth though and expect it to be free if we brought Flynn in! 

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Is this actually true though?  I always wonder about the value of any manager.  If you show me a successful manager, I will show you a manager who had a lot of money to spend.

Also, it seems like even the most successful managers (Pep, Jose, Alex, Arsene) eventually seem to become worse at their jobs.  How can that be if they are great managers?  Is it because they are spending less, or it was never really about them?

On this basis, I would appoint me (£500k pa bargain) and spend the saving on a half-decent midfielder.  Win-win for everyone.

24 minutes ago, lenred said:

I’d pay extra if it meant the quality of my ‘product’ was better.  Ideally I’d rather divided up the current running costs differently so that the managerial costs were higher and player costs lower but yeah I’d pay I reckon.  I’d also expect my ST to be lower were we to appoint a Lowe or a Ainsworth though and expect it to be free if we brought Flynn in! 

As a further query then. 
Let’s say, to the best of our knowledge, that LJ earned £600k and Ashton earned £500k. 
Hughton wants £1m, but wants recruitment control. 
Do you now remove Ashton too, offer Hughton the £1m, and use the £100k surplus to appoint a different head of recruitment (or head scout in old money)? 

38 minutes ago, Harry said:

Here's my £50. 

33 minutes ago, Harry said:

Thats one (unlikely) scenario.

Another could be SL tells Mr Hughton that he gets a salary of double Johnson's plus a bonus of x% for the squad cost he reduces and/or the league position he improves. The club gets the majority of the saving which more than pays for the added salary, and of course an improvement in league position will probably mean added revenue via the playoffs.

The scattergun approach towards recruitment would, I hope be resisted by an experienced manager.

2 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Is this actually true though?  I always wonder about the value of any manager.  If you show me a successful manager, I will show you a manager who had a lot of money to spend.

Also, it seems like even the most successful managers (Pep, Jose, Alex, Arsene) eventually seem to become worse at their jobs.  How can that be if they are great managers?  Is it because they are spending less, or it was never really about them?

On this basis, I would appoint me (£500k pa bargain) and spend the saving on a half-decent midfielder.  Win-win for everyone.

This is a good question and one I was going to try to research a little if I had time. 
I’ve got this nagging feeling that, as managers get older, they DON’T actually get better. 
I’ve got this feeling that managers are at their very best in jobs 2,3 & 4. 
They have learnings from Job 1, implement improvements in Job 2, become expert in Job 3 and are at their peak in Job 4. 
Once Job 5 arrives, they’re on a decline and within a couple of years would then be considered “a dinosaur”, as the football world modernises and moves on. 

This is my one small doubt with Hughton. Are we the job where he begins his decline? Indeed, had his decline already began in his latter Brighton days? Is Gerrard, in Job 2, the better option as we might see him step up after his first job, whereas Hughton might now be on the way down? 

Just a theory at the moment, but I’d be interested to look into the sustainability of success in managers. When are they at their peak. I’m sure there is a decline at job 4 or 5 ish. 

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

As a further query then. 
Let’s say, to the best of our knowledge, that LJ earned £600k and Ashton earned £500k. 
Do you now remove Ashton too, offer Hughton the £1m, and use the £100k surplus to appoint a different head of recruitment (or head scout in old money)? 

Deal.

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

As a further query then. 

Yes please.

43 minutes ago, Harry said:

He’ll be increasing by at least £50 anyway... when he gets to prem league... which he wants to do... and which a top manager will be far more likely to achieve.  

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

This is a good question and one I was going to try to research a little if I had time. 
I’ve got this nagging feeling that, as managers get older, they DON’T actually get better. 
I’ve got this feeling that managers are at their very best in jobs 2,3 & 4. 
They have learnings from Job 1, implement improvements in Job 2, become expert in Job 3 and are at their peak in Job 4. 
Once Job 5 arrives, they’re on a decline and within a couple of years would then be considered “a dinosaur”, as the football world modernises and moves on. 

This is my one small doubt with Hughton. Are we the job where he begins his decline? Indeed, had his decline already began in his latter Brighton days? Is Gerrard, in Job 2, the better option as we might see him step up after his first job, whereas Hughton might now be on the way down? 

Just a theory at the moment, but I’d be interested to look into the sustainability of success in managers. When are they at their peak. I’m sure there is a decline at job 4 or 5 ish. 

I'd be interested to know any outcomes from your research.   It's a good point re. Hughton.  I suppose the corollary to your suggestion are managers like McCarthy, Allardyce, Redknapp who seem to be successful up to about job 15!

And since you ask, the City job would be number 2 for me as I took one match for Madeley Wanderers when the manager was too drunk to turn up one Sunday morning.

Archived