IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

51 minutes ago, Harry said:

For those who feel we should “just spend the money”, how about this. 

SL says “ok customers, oops no sorry, supporters. I’m going to appoint Chris Hughton, but his salary is double that of Lee and so, to cover the difference I’m going to add £50 to all season tickets. 
I thank you for recently renewing your £450 seat. Please can you transfer another £50 before the end of July and we’ll arrange the appointment of Mr Hughton”. 

What’s your thoughts now? 
Just a devils advocate kinda query by the way. 

Interesting question.  
On the one hand, you could say yes to the extra £50 for getting in a quality manager, but there’s part of me that would like to say, “I would do, if you hadn’t wasted £millions on pointless loans and signings that your previous manager refused to play”

In general I think money is a poor motivator of people. You need to pay people enough that they will come to work, and not feel hard done by (or be looking over the fence at what the person next to them is being paid) but beyond that, I think people are primarily driven by other things. Or rather - to effectively drive/motivate people to achieve money is actually pretty poor in that regard.

I don't think Hughton will be coming here and trying to get us promoted so he has an extra £%, or at least I'd hope not. I think he'd be doing it for personal or ambitious reasons. He wants to be in control, he wants to get better/test himself (and by extension the club), and he wants to contribute to something bigger than himself. The money should be enough to get him to do the job, but it shouldn't be the reason he's doing it.

edit: That goes for the players, and people in general as well.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

SL says “ok customers, oops no sorry, supporters. I’m going to appoint Chris Hughton, but his salary is double that of Lee and so, to cover the difference I’m going to add £50 to all season tickets. 
I thank you for recently renewing your £450 seat. Please can you transfer another £50 before the end of July and we’ll arrange the appointment of Mr Hughton”. 

Tbf that'll happen if we get promoted. Lansdown will cover the difference until then, but can cash in if and when we get promotion and revenue will go through the roof

1 hour ago, WirralRobin said:

A bit of context around the £1 million a year for Hughton, Bielsa at Leeds is on around £3.5 million a year (although that does include all his staff, so includes all coaches, data analyst's wages etc too). What a bargain that has turned into for them, it's only 2 years since they were mid table mediocrity!  

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/marcelo-bielsas-bumper-leeds-wage-21962706

IMO, the club needs to pay what it takes to get the best person for the job - whoever they consider that man to be! I can never understand why ridiculous wages are paid to players who might end up losing form, or getting injured, when managers are lower down the wage bill pecking order. After all, its managers who make the big decisions (selection, tactics, formation, substitutions, etc...), and at the end of the day, play a major part in determining whether a club gets promoted, or relegated...

39 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Also, it seems like even the most successful managers (Pep, Jose, Alex, Arsene) eventually seem to become worse at their jobs.  How can that be if they are great managers?  Is it because they are spending less, or it was never really about them?

29 minutes ago, Harry said:

This is a good question and one I was going to try to research a little if I had time. 
I’ve got this nagging feeling that, as managers get older, they DON’T actually get better. 
I’ve got this feeling that managers are at their very best in jobs 2,3 & 4. 
They have learnings from Job 1, implement improvements in Job 2, become expert in Job 3 and are at their peak in Job 4. 
Once Job 5 arrives, they’re on a decline and within a couple of years would then be considered “a dinosaur”, as the football world modernises and moves on. 

This is my one small doubt with Hughton. Are we the job where he begins his decline? Indeed, had his decline already began in his latter Brighton days? Is Gerrard, in Job 2, the better option as we might see him step up after his first job, whereas Hughton might now be on the way down? 

Just a theory at the moment, but I’d be interested to look into the sustainability of success in managers. When are they at their peak. I’m sure there is a decline at job 4 or 5 ish. 

In the cases of Wenger and Mourinho it is because they were once innovators of the game and simply haven't been able to adapt/innovate to keep up with the new innovators (like Pep). Both too stubborn to change their ethos. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Well, as ST’s sold already exceeds likely capacity, unlikely to raise a lot. For all the Fan hype where it seems to be assumed that appointing CH = guaranteed promotion, SL has to deal with financial reality. Wages, plus backing for signings is a lot of cash when income for at least the next 12 months is likely to be pretty low. In normal times, would be a decent gamble, but right now, any large financial commitment carries huge risks. If he wants the job, he will just have to work within a realistic budget, which may well mean working with what we already have, plus freebies. 
No managerial appointment comes with any guarantees, and we can’t afford to be reckless. To be quite frank, with the current mess and uncertainty, any candidate for an EFL job demanding ‘financial backing’ suggests degrees of delusion and zero grasp of reality.

4 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Well, as ST’s sold already exceeds likely capacity, unlikely to raise a lot. For all the Fan hype where it seems to be assumed that appointing CH = guaranteed promotion, SL has to deal with financial reality. Wages, plus backing for signings is a lot of cash when income for at least the next 12 months is likely to be pretty low. In normal times, would be a decent gamble, but right now, any large financial commitment carries huge risks. If he wants the job, he will just have to work within a realistic budget, which may well mean working with what we already have, plus freebies. 
No managerial appointment comes with any guarantees, and we can’t afford to be reckless. To be quite frank, with the current mess and uncertainty, any candidate for an EFL job demanding ‘financial backing’ suggests degrees of delusion and zero grasp of reality.

You could argue that now is the perfect time to steal a march on the competition with if lots of clubs have this mindset

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

This is a good question and one I was going to try to research a little if I had time. 
I’ve got this nagging feeling that, as managers get older, they DON’T actually get better. 
I’ve got this feeling that managers are at their very best in jobs 2,3 & 4. 
They have learnings from Job 1, implement improvements in Job 2, become expert in Job 3 and are at their peak in Job 4. 
Once Job 5 arrives, they’re on a decline and within a couple of years would then be considered “a dinosaur”, as the football world modernises and moves on. 

This is my one small doubt with Hughton. Are we the job where he begins his decline? Indeed, had his decline already began in his latter Brighton days? Is Gerrard, in Job 2, the better option as we might see him step up after his first job, whereas Hughton might now be on the way down? 

Just a theory at the moment, but I’d be interested to look into the sustainability of success in managers. When are they at their peak. I’m sure there is a decline at job 4 or 5 ish. 

It's a sweeping generalisation, and all such statements are prone to being proved wrong in certain cases, but actually I think you're broadly correct. It would certainly be accepted in many academic and/or scientific circles that your best work is done early in your career when you're still young. A lot of professors who made their reputation with ground-breaking work are often effectively just departmental figure heads and administrators by the time they've reached retirement age. Respected for their past achievements, of course, and often turned to in an advisory role, but certainly no longer at the cutting edge. Maybe it's the same with elite coaches. 

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

In general I think money is a poor motivator of people. You need to pay people enough that they will come to work, and not feel hard done by (or be looking over the fence at what the person next to them is being paid) but beyond that, I think people are primarily driven by other things. Or rather - to effectively drive/motivate people to achieve money is actually pretty poor in that regard.

I don't think Hughton will be coming here and trying to get us promoted so he has an extra £%, or at least I'd hope not. I think he'd be doing it for personal or ambitious reasons. He wants to be in control, he wants to get better/test himself (and by extension the club), and he wants to contribute to something bigger than himself. The money should be enough to get him to do the job, but it shouldn't be the reason he's doing it.

I think this is also true for many successful people. Hughton is, I believe, aged 61 now, and has been in the professional game pretty much all his working life. We all know his CV by now: suffice to say he has held a number of highly remunerated positions in that time. Unless he's been remarkably reckless in the management of his wealth, he will be financially secure and have no need to work again purely for money. He will welcome the additional income, sure, but if he was motivated by that alone, he'd have taken another job by now. So, we will have to appeal to him in other respects, as well as in terms of monetary rewards, but, and it's a big but, he will still have to be offered a salary that is commensurate with his status in the game and reflects his past achievements. Money may not be his prime motivator, but he won't come cheap. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Conversely he could look at a somewhat bloated playing squad and sell on some of the dross (and there are a few) which would more than cover the extra needed to pay a decent manager with the wages saved.  Let's also remember the huge financial rewards said manager would bring to the club in the event of promotion to the PL. No brainer for me.

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You could argue that now is the perfect time to steal a march on the competition with if lots of clubs have this mindset

You could, but you could equally argue that it comes with no guarantees and could put the future of the club at risk. 

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

Conversely he could look at a somewhat bloated playing squad and sell on some of the dross (and there are a few) which would more than cover the extra needed to pay a decent manager. Let's also remember the huge financial rewards said manager would bring to the club in the event of promotion to the PL. No brainer for me.

And the EFL clubs with money to buy our surplus players are....???

1 minute ago, Chappers said:

You could, but you could equally argue that it comes with no guarantees and could put the future of the club at risk. 

And the EFL clubs with money to buy our surplus players are....???

That is something we do not know in these strange times as you are well aware.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

As a further query then. 
Let’s say, to the best of our knowledge, that LJ earned £600k and Ashton earned £500k. 
Hughton wants £1m, but wants recruitment control. 
Do you now remove Ashton too, offer Hughton the £1m, and use the £100k surplus to appoint a different head of recruitment (or head scout in old money)? 

Wrote out a long spiel about MA and his team but I can’t be bothered with the name calling again from certain quarters so.....Yes I would much rather have CH + new head scout over LJ and MA and his team. I believe CH or someone of his ilk is exactly what this club needs to progress above all else and would go all out to get it. But as others have said - easy when it’s not your money!

1 hour ago, Harry said:

It’s devil’s advocate alright!!  Not gonna happen though....not 20/21, maybe 21/22 though!

At the end of the day, CH and his assistants (whether existing or new) take up budget.  We are typically a loss making business, supplemented by Steve. The new manager needs to be up to speed on the overall budget, as that will affect their recruitment strategy.  To go into a role, purely thinking about your own salary is blinkered and unlikely to be the case also.

Irrespective of CH’s salary, SL and MA ain’t gonna be giving him £20m (net) to spend.  Same with any incoming appointment.  That might rule out some.  If we ignore previous financial years, any recruitment, we are looking at a £20-25m loss.  That’s £7-12m too much.  However you can allow Academy etc so that’s probably £3m better, so £4-9m loss.  Add back in loss of revenue from covid, say £4m, and we are talking £8-£13m loss if FFP was done every year....so we’d have to sell a fair bit before we buy.

However, we’ve built a bit of headroom, and I think a new manager could expect to spend what they bring in.

So that’s the expectation of money available to the new man.  That will make some run away.

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

Is this actually true though?  I always wonder about the value of any manager.  If you show me a successful manager, I will show you a manager who had a lot of money to spend.

Also, it seems like even the most successful managers (Pep, Jose, Alex, Arsene) eventually seem to become worse at their jobs.  How can that be if they are great managers?  Is it because they are spending less, or it was never really about them?

On this basis, I would appoint me (£500k pa bargain) and spend the saving on a half-decent midfielder.  Win-win for everyone.

Gareth Ainsworth has just shouted “hold my beer” 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

As a further query then. 
Let’s say, to the best of our knowledge, that LJ earned £600k and Ashton earned £500k. 
Hughton wants £1m, but wants recruitment control. 
Do you now remove Ashton too, offer Hughton the £1m, and use the £100k surplus to appoint a different head of recruitment (or head scout in old money)? 

Me personally, yes ???

39 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

edit: That goes for the players, and people in general as well.

We sensed that with LJ.  He knew the “project”, he knew the budgets.  He accepted the objectives set.  He ultimately came up short.  SL said that.

5 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Exactly. Just as we don’t know that throwing money we don’t have at a manager will guarantee promotion.

That's football. However, let's say LJ was on £500k and a new experienced guy wants £1m then that leaves us £500k to find. With the average Championship players wage being in excess of £20k per week then we have probably covered the extra over cost by letting Bailey Wright go and not replacing him.

17 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

In general I think money is a poor motivator of people.

I,m assuming you've never worked in a commission based business, or seen the rise in productivity when a piece rate scheme is introduced.

Given that football is a results based business given the choice :-

a) Take £20k a week with a £100k bonus if promotion is achieved or

b)Take £5k a week (more than PM earns by the way ) and say a £3m bonus if promotion achieved .

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

That's football. However, let's say LJ was on £500k and a new experienced guy wants £1m then that leaves us £500k to find. With the average Championship players wage being in excess of £20k per week then we have probably covered the extra over cost by letting Bailey Wright go and not replacing him.

Only are top top earners will be around the £20k mark. It's not an average wage for City. 

1 minute ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I,m assuming you've never worked in a commission based business, or seen the rise in productivity when a piece rate scheme is introduced.

b)Take £5k a week (more than PM earns by the way ) and say a £3m bonus if promotion achieved .

It's a team job. I'd take A all day long. 

There's too many factors to guarentee promotion so no one would take that deal. 

This might not work in our favour,,,, anyone coming into a championship club in this day and age with no idea of when paying fans will be coming in, is not coming into a normal situation.

we have been well stripped of saleable assets,,, so at the moment the most valuable player is probably elliasson. But its unlikely anyone will be spending 10 million or so on him in the current market, meaning any incomings will most likely be free transfers or cheap incomings... hardly a big carrot to someone like hughton is it?!

2 minutes ago, Selred said:

Only are top top earners will be around the £20k mark. It's not an average wage for City. 

The highest average in the Championship is £29k by all accounts. However, surely you understand my point. We have players in our squad who have zero chance of making it at the club so they need to be moved on. If we get a lower fee (or anything at all) then that's the way football is going for all clubs. If we can save a wage then that's a big benefit to us. 

3 minutes ago, Selred said:

It's a team job. I'd take A all day long. 

There's too many factors to guarentee promotion so no one would take that deal. 

Especially given that when you are inevitably fired your severance packet would be based upon fixed salary rather than bonuses not yet achieved.

9 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

And when the team is losing in the rain halfway through the season, or walking onto the pitch at Wembley for the playoff final do you want them to be thinking about the size of their bank balance and goal bonuses, or content with their pay and instead thinking about their personal achievements, their teammates, and their collective desire to win?

Why did Beckham or Ronaldo stay that extra hour in the gym - was it to earn more?

We're going to get off topic, but in general money is a poor motivator. There have been many studies and literature which show it I can link if you're interested.

9 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

This might not work in our favour,,,, anyone coming into a championship club in this day and age with no idea of when paying fans will be coming in, is not coming into a normal situation.

we have been well stripped of saleable assets,,, so at the moment the most valuable player is probably elliasson. But its unlikely anyone will be spending 10 million or so on him in the current market, meaning any incomings will most likely be free transfers or cheap incomings... hardly a big carrot to someone like hughton is it?!

It all depends what other carrots CH has to choose from. People keep banging on about when the Prem sackings begin CH will have loads of options - I really don’t think he will be as big a draw to Premier League clubs as many think.. his record at that level is average to poor at best leaving Chris with quite conceivably only championship offers on the table and more a less the same constraints as he will have here everywhere else. I think the beauty of BCFC is the stability of the ownership and the peace of mind that you WILL be given a fair amount of time in the job unlike at other clubs.

Archived