IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

7 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

This might not work in our favour,,,, anyone coming into a championship club in this day and age with no idea of when paying fans will be coming in, is not coming into a normal situation.

we have been well stripped of saleable assets,,, so at the moment the most valuable player is probably elliasson. But its unlikely anyone will be spending 10 million or so on him in the current market, meaning any incomings will most likely be free transfers or cheap incomings... hardly a big carrot to someone like hughton is it?!

It’s the same scenario for every club though. 
Nobody really knows what sort of money we will have or if FFP is abandoned temporarily.

No one can say definitely that clubs  will be able to welcome back the fans at the start of the new season and if there will be a second wave of Covid-19 which would bugger up any financial projections.

We are lucky to have Uncle Steve’s pocket money giving us a certain stability but we cannot employ anybody without considering the possibility of hugely reduced revenue and that many people in the football world are going to have to rethink their contract demands due to this financial situation.

A lot of players and staff are going to be out of work as clubs cut their losses. Only the sensible ones will get new jobs .

59 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I genuinely haven’t got a clue who she is!

55 minutes ago, phantom said:

Voders' replacement  upgrade on Countdown

Rachel riley | Rachel riley legs, Rachael riley, Fashion

55 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

You would........

............have two from the top and one from the bottom!

39 minutes ago, BigTone said:

That's football. However, let's say LJ was on £500k and a new experienced guy wants £1m then that leaves us £500k to find. With the average Championship players wage being in excess of £20k per week then we have probably covered the extra over cost by letting Bailey Wright go and not replacing him.

You overlooked the loss of supporter and commercial income, risk of refunding ST payments etc.

34 minutes ago, BigTone said:

The highest average in the Championship is £29k by all accounts. However, surely you understand my point. We have players in our squad who have zero chance of making it at the club so they need to be moved on. If we get a lower fee (or anything at all) then that's the way football is going for all clubs. If we can save a wage then that's a big benefit to us. 

It’s not only the fee, prudent Clubs will probably be offering lower salaries and quite possibly, short term contracts. Even if not part of the playing squad, there will definitely be an incentive to stay and see out the contract/ wait until normality returns. 

41 minutes ago, BigTone said:

That's football. However, let's say LJ was on £500k and a new experienced guy wants £1m then that leaves us £500k to find. With the average Championship players wage being in excess of £20k per week then we have probably covered the extra over cost by letting Bailey Wright go and not replacing him.

34 minutes ago, BigTone said:

The highest average in the Championship is £29k by all accounts. However, surely you understand my point. We have players in our squad who have zero chance of making it at the club so they need to be moved on. If we get a lower fee (or anything at all) then that's the way football is going for all clubs. If we can save a wage then that's a big benefit to us. 

That’s exactly it Big Tone.

Taylor and Wright is probably best part of £20k per week that we don’t need to carry into next season...a bit more if you add in Maenpaa too.

You could easily add in Smith (with a heavy heart) and Williams and in total you are probably talking £50k per week for those 5 players.  Of course club will potentially have budgeted for not offering any of them a new deal.

Here is what the new manager is “left” with.

3676F1F7-5829-481F-A21F-FAEC46D951C6.thumb.jpeg.1d6e5ed601004da2a2dc662b05c5f891.jpeg

There are some in that list to be ruthless about.

13 minutes ago, Chappers said:

It’s not only the fee, prudent Clubs will probably be offering lower salaries and quite possibly, short term contracts. Even if not part of the playing squad, there will definitely be an incentive to stay and see out the contract/ wait until normality returns. 

Of course but then I'm sure we have a good few players getting towards contract end.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Taylor and Wright is probably best part of £20k per week that we don’t need to carry into next season...a bit more if you add in Maenpaa too.

You could easily add in Smith (with a heavy heart) and Williams and in total you are probably talking £50k per week for those 5 players.  Of course club will potentially have budgeted for not offering any of them a new deal.

3676F1F7-5829-481F-A21F-FAEC46D951C6.thumb.jpeg.1d6e5ed601004da2a2dc662b05c5f891.jpeg

There are probably 10 there who have no chance of progressing. Even if only half of them moved on then that's a good wedge to be used elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, BigTone said:

There are probably 10 there who have no chance of progressing. Even if only half of them moved on then that's a good wedge to be used elsewhere.

Yep.  Moving players on will be interesting.  Might have to continue contributing to wages in some cases.

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Or become a tax exile, or sell some valueless shares to himself to cover the amount input?

He's a shrewd man, he knows what he is doing

I don't get what correlation you've made. He's sold valued shares (last time I checked H&L were still trading?) and invested in us multiple times more than fans will have generated.

Whether or not he saves tax offshore what does that have to do with his investment in our club? He could of spent that elsewhere. If you we're responding to a moral question on tax I'd get your response.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep.  Moving players on will be interesting.  Might have to continue contributing to wages in some cases.

Absolutely, but the long term benefit is there to be seen. In these uncertain times then all clubs will need to ensure they have sleeker but quality squads. The times of taking a punt on a player are over I think. However, I also see that as being a good thing.

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Absolutely, but the long term benefit is there to be seen. In these uncertain times then all clubs will need to ensure they have sleeker but quality squads. The times of taking a punt on a player are over I think. However, I also see that as being a good thing.

Agree again Tone.  At the top end of the Championship it’s not a numbers game, hoping someone comes good.  It’s got to be top quality recruitment, not guesswork.  A coherent plan, recruitment to than plan and take the risk out.

We should not be taking punts, everything should be calculated decision making.  I accept not everything will come off, but the intention has to be there. Our current model does seem to include buying players to stop others buying them in the “hope” they come good.  If they don’t you can still sell them for a similar amount to what you bought them for.  Eisa a good example.  That model is about to become dangerous as you’re stuck with a bunch of assets potentially not worth what you paid for them, nor can you get shot of because the clubs in the division can’t pay the wages you paid to make you attractive in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree again Tone.  At the top end of the Championship it’s not a numbers game, hoping someone comes good.  It’s got to be top quality recruitment, not guesswork.  A coherent plan, recruitment to than plan and take the risk out.

We should not be taking punts, everything should be calculated decision making.  I accept not everything will come off, but the intention has to be there. Our current model does seem to include buying players to stop others buying them in the “hope” they come good.  If they don’t you can still sell them for a similar amount to what you bought them for.  Eisa a good example.  That model is about to become dangerous as you’re stuck with a bunch of assets potentially not worth what you paid for them, nor can you get shot of because the clubs in the division can’t pay the wages you paid to make you attractive in the first place.

Spot on Sir

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Blige! thats a shocking list when you see it laid out like that.

and your mate said we had "a brill squad"....

28 minutes ago, BigTone said:

A coherent plan, recruitment to than plan and take the risk out.

Sorry Tone,, I seem to have accredited you for Dave's wise words...

I'm sure you don't mind as were singing from the same hymn sheet..

Have a picture in your head of exactly how you wish your team to play - then recruit the players in their positions that will most likely be able to do that.

Simple eh ?...

Archived