IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

8 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

If I was Hughton, I would seriously think about telling City to do one if I'm honest. He will get another job imminently and we appear to be messing him about chasing Gerrard. 

IF Hughton is 2nd choice then it won’t be a new experience for him when he is up against quality opposition when applying for a job. He will understand the process better than most OTIB contributors I suspect and wait for the call if it comes.

IF reports of us looking for another young and upcoming coach are accurate then whilst he might tick supporters boxes he certainly fails to tick those of the people that make the decisions. We I think are not messing anyone around but are in fact applying due care and diligence in selecting the candidate that best fits the requirements. Promotion whilst massively important is not the only consideration otherwise Steve L would just throw money at a Warnock or McCarthy for a short term fix. 

12 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

If I was Hughton, I would seriously think about telling City to do one if I'm honest. He will get another job imminently and we appear to be messing him about chasing Gerrard. 

The longer this goes on without announcing Hughton, the more likely it becomes that we aren't, or weren't interested that much him in the first place.

Whether discussions have taken place and both parties are miles apart from the financial side of things, or whether it's because we do genuinely want someone else over him, I guess nobody (or very few people) will ever know.

It could be that rather than appointing someone now to get us up, and then worrying about staying in the Prem when we get there, the club are actually thinking longer term and trying to get someone to get, and keep us there.

Hughton has a history of getting clubs there, but isn't so successful at the latter. Maybe the club are actually thinking outside of the box and hoping for more of an Eddie Howe "type", someone to build a squad, get up and run with it.

Then again maybe they've thrown a dart and are so bad they've completely missed the board and don't know what to do now!!!

9 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We wont announce a new manager until the season is over, even if its signed sealed and delivered

Why do you say that mate?? Once the play offs were out of reach it would of made sense to me to let the new guy have a couple of free hit games to start assessing the players.

Just now, milo1111 said:

Why do you say that mate?? Once the play offs were out of reach it would of made sense to me to let the new guy have a couple of free hit games to start assessing the players.

Totally agree if Hughton is our man then he’s lost the opportunity to watch the players train, watch games and get to know the players. A wasted couple of weeks if all signed 

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We wont announce a new manager until the season is over, even if its signed sealed and delivered

Tend to agree now.

Worth watching Dean Holden’s presser yesterday. Looked choked imho. Like he’d been told he was leaving after the game. 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Tend to agree now.

Worth watching Dean Holden’s presser yesterday. Looked choked imho. Like he’d been told he was leaving after the game. 

But we’ve wasted weeks of giving the new guy time to assess ? If our target is out of work makes no sense , obviously if it’s a Cook Neil , Gerrard then understandable - but it Hughton with the short turnaround between seasons makes no sense 

21 minutes ago, Taz said:

The longer this goes on without announcing Hughton, the more likely it becomes that we aren't, or weren't interested that much him in the first place.

Whether discussions have taken place and both parties are miles apart from the financial side of things, or whether it's because we do genuinely want someone else over him, I guess nobody (or very few people) will ever know.

It could be that rather than appointing someone now to get us up, and then worrying about staying in the Prem when we get there, the club are actually thinking longer term and trying to get someone to get, and keep us there.

Hughton has a history of getting clubs there, but isn't so successful at the latter. Maybe the club are actually thinking outside of the box and hoping for more of an Eddie Howe "type", someone to build a squad, get up and run with it.

Then again maybe they've thrown a dart and are so bad they've completely missed the board and don't know what to do now!!!

We tend to live in a Bristol City bubble. While we wonder if he is waiting for us, he is concurrently high in the betting for jobs at Watford, Birmingham and Huddersfield - and no doubt a few others that won’t have a vacancy until later in the week. Of course he isn’t holding his breath for Ashton Gate.

6 minutes ago, daored said:

But we’ve wasted weeks of giving the new guy time to assess ? If our target is out of work makes no sense , obviously if it’s a Cook Neil , Gerrard then understandable - but it Hughton with the short turnaround between seasons makes no sense 

Perhaps our  targets are out of work. Hughton and McCarthy are the only two main ones that aren’t.

We just don’t know.

I thought we had someone ready. But if appears not. 

Looks like nobody had even bee. Interviewed yet ??‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Perhaps our  targets are out of work. Hughton and McCarthy are the only two main ones that aren’t.

We just don’t know.

That's because they are desperate for Gerrard....and all this "rigorous interview process" is to spin the fact they are trying to convince SG and that is where their time and energy is going.

1 minute ago, Lez said:

That's because they are desperate for Gerrard....and all this "rigorous interview process" is to spin the fact they are trying to convince SG and that is where their time and energy is going.

We know that 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We just don’t know.

Were you typing this whilst driving Dave. It doesn’t read well ?

14 minutes ago, daored said:

Whose to say Hughton hasn’t already got the job, is currently on holiday, whilst getting his coaching staff and signings for next season in place. Then he will be up and running as soon as the current season finishes. 

Its guess work for all of us atm, but I’m sure plenty of things are going on in the background, and we will find out 2ho are man  is in the next week or so. 

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Tend to agree now.

I sensed that as well. He's a proud man and he's conducted himself impeccably during his caretaker role.

If he's not going to be here next season i don't think he'd have any trouble getting a managers job down the leagues.

Seems like a good guy to me.

IF and I repeat IF our chosen candidate is not in a current position (eg Hughton) the delay makes no sense to me given, as mentioned above, the short turn around. It was an ideal opportunity for given appointment to assess what we already have.

Of more concern is the fact that I misspelt opportunity with an 'a' and Appleton came up! :(

13 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

IF and I repeat IF our chosen candidate is not in a current position (eg Hughton) the delay makes no sense to me given, as mentioned above, the short turn around. It was an ideal opportunity for given appointment to assess what we already have.

Of more concern is the fact that I misspelt opportunity with an 'a' and Appleton came up! :(

I guess they might not be in a rush though?

so many ifs and buts aren’t there?

34 minutes ago, Gazred said:

I sensed that as well. He's a proud man and he's conducted himself impeccably during his caretaker role.

If he's not going to be here next season i don't think he'd have any trouble getting a managers job down the leagues.

Seems like a good guy to me.

After being completely underwhelmed by his appointment I must admit that he has grown on me over time and he really is a no-bullshit , call a spade a spade northerner . 

I would not be adverse to him staying on but he will probably want a new challenge elsewhere.

22 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

After being completely underwhelmed by his appointment I must admit that he has grown on me over time and he really is a no-bullshit , call a spade a spade northerner . 

I would not be adverse to him staying on but he will probably want a new challenge elsewhere.

Erm.....One hopes we’re doing the right thing “baby out with the bath water” “careful what we wish for” phrases starting to echo.  Reassurance please.

2 hours ago, Akira said:

Praying we announce him tomorrow. Can't see it happening though. End up screwing this up because of the Gerrard interest, and now end up with someone like Rowe. 

Tommy, player manager?

Can't see it.

Oh... wait...

Archived