IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

3 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

If this is true, and I hope it is, we have to expect promotion within three seasons, surely?

I'm glad you said 3 seasons, because I'm worried about the expectation that comes with Hughton. 

He's a great manager at this level, but it now seems as though many of our fans expect us to go up. 

We've got a squad who finished 12th, there's a lot of quality in certain teams above us & I just don't see that same quality here.

Hopefully Lansdown really backs him in the market. 

2 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I'm glad you said 3 seasons, because I'm worried about the expectation that comes with Hughton. 

He's a great manager at this level, but it now seems as though many of our fans expect us to go up. 

We've got a squad who finished 12th, there's a lot of quality in certain teams above us & I just don't see that same quality here.

Hopefully Lansdown really backs him in the market. 

we have the quality, we haven't had the tactics,

Though we are short a combative centre midfielder 

Just now, Monkeh said:

we have the quality, we haven't had the tactics,

Though we are short a combative centre midfielder 

I really don't think we do. 

Hughton likes a 4-4-2 doesn't he, who our are quality wingers? Eliasson possibly, but he's apparently off. We could need two of those. 

Jack Hunt isn't a top quality right back. 

Possibly need a CB. Williams is hopefully off & We'll be left with Baker, Kalas, Vyner & Moore. 

As you've said, an experienced CM, hopefully could tempt someone like Dale Stephens (available on a free) to join us. 

19 minutes ago, Blackbird1 said:

If this is true, and I hope it is, we have to expect promotion within three seasons, surely?

Why 3 years? We don’t need a revolution....we just need to evolve . We are not a million miles off from being a top 6 team now 

Lansdown will be expecting top 6 next season 

If Hughton does join, I think Duffy and Dale Stephens would be quite high up on his list for Summer targets. Might surprise us with a signing from abroad too. Definitely need a new right back, and that experienced wise head in central midfield to play alongside Morrell, Nagy, Walsh and Massengo. 

Well if this is true and fans have got what they wanted I sincerely hope it works out, but I feel more deflated by the prospect of Hughton being appointed than I would if it was Ryan Lowe or a host of young coaches.  Maybe Hughton can deliver success in the short term, but would he build something sustainable for the future?  Would young, particularly homegrown, players get their chance?  Would it be all about securing promotion as quickly as possible or would it be about the type of football we play, and the longer-term future?  I suspect I may not be alone in being concerned about where Hughton’s appointment would take us.  Premier League at any cost?  Not for me...

Oh dear. 4-4-2.

With the squad we have a 4-4-2 will need an even bigger clear out of our player ‘assets’ than I thought. We just haven’t the players to implement that system. 

Was never quite sure what sort of shape -aside from random chaos - we were building under LJ, but pretty clear it wasn’t a 4-4-2. 

2 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Oh dear. 4-4-2.

With the squad we have a 4-4-2 will need an even bigger clear out of our player ‘assets’ than I thought. We just haven’t the players to implement that system. 

Was never quite sure what sort of shape -aside from random chaos - we were building under LJ, but pretty clear it wasn’t a 4-4-2. 

Hughton has actually said before himself he is flexible. Upon promotion he didn’t have the players to carry on playing his 4-4-2 to great effect so he changed to a 4-3-3 and kept them up. Twice.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/chris-hughton-brighton-newcastle-tottenham/

He isn’t a one trick pony.

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

Oh dear. 4-4-2.

Slow down, we haven’t got the bloke yet, too early to be breaking down the complexities of formations and systems

9 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Well if this is true and fans have got what they wanted I sincerely hope it works out, but I feel more deflated by the prospect of Hughton being appointed than I would if it was Ryan Lowe or a host of young coaches.  Maybe Hughton can deliver success in the short term, but would he build something sustainable for the future?  Would young, particularly homegrown, players get their chance?  Would it be all about securing promotion as quickly as possible or would it be about the type of football we play, and the longer-term future?  I suspect I may not be alone in being concerned about where Hughton’s appointment would take us.  Premier League at any cost?  Not for me...

He was head of youth at spurs for +10 years, I’d expect him to give yoof a chance as much as anyone. 

1 minute ago, Notbarrymanc said:

He was head of youth at spurs for +10 years, I’d expect him to give yoof a chance as much as anyone. 

he is a good enough you play coach,

He brought through some good young players at Newcastle and Norwich giving them a chance,

But he also knows the value of experience 

We havent had the right blend under johnson and think we may under hughton

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

he is a good enough you play coach,

He brought through some good young players at Newcastle and Norwich giving them a chance,

But he also knows the value of experience 

We havent had the right blend under johnson and think we may under hughton

This is the absolute key for me. People need to remember that our 1st team isn’t a youth/academy team, we are a professional outfit with the goal of winning promotion. A good manager will pick a team accordingly and if the younger lads (Morrell,Walsh etc) can be trusted and will aid the clubs ambition which is promotion then I'm sure they will be used.

Archived