IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

Just now, Redrascal2 said:

I still believe that he is  an outstanding candidate and should have been snapped up. As for who else has applied only time will tell. But Wenger must have fallen on hard times if he has applied!!

So do I and he is the one I want,

The point is just wait and give the process time,

58 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think the club set up has worked very well.

Could have been done better for sure. Any mistakes we have made I hope we are learning from.

The main thing is LJ seems to have been the wrong man for the job.

But look at our squad that came back from lockdown. That's some squad to put together and staying comfortably within FFP rules, even making a profit!

I am sure some managers would have got us into the playoffs with that squad, and who knows from there what could have happened.

I have said I do not want Hughton in because I don't think he suits our set up.

Why have you reached that conclusion?  What is it in our set-up that you don’t think he fits?

If anything, our Head-Coach / CEO model is as close to what he had at Brighton where Dan Ashworth was his Technical Director, in effect ran a similar set of departments to Mark Ashton.

I'm guessing on that of course, so might be wrong, just like people might be wrong that he is the right man.

Why guess, and if guessing does it have to be a negative guess?

But for me I want someone who has overachieved with very little backing, and someone that plays great passing football with young players.

It has to be passing football for me because that is more entertaining to watch, but more importantly it suits the young players we have.

We have very hard working, short, techinical players, many of which would suit Bielsa type football. High possession and relentless pressing.

I can't imagine Moore, Vyner, Morrell, Walsh, Szmodics with the likes of Dasilva, Palmer, Wells being great in a pragmatic side.

I know Hughton played decent stuff at Brighton when they got promoted, but I really can't imagine him really going 100% with a Leeds or Brentford way of playing. Which is kind of what I am looking for.
who out there does play like that?  Apart from Frank and Bielsa?  Both play quite different in fact.

If Hughton does get the job then I am pretty sure he will be backed, and some of those young players we have will be sold or loaned out.

Worth reading some of my other posts on young player utilisation....I don’t get “old head” manager will be looking to only play “old heads”.

So being backed to bring in experience is in one way a good thing that many fans will want. Not sure if we really need much though when I look at our current squad.

Maybe Hughton will prove to me to be different to what I am expecting. I hope so.

Free that mind Jon ???

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

Why?

What makes you think that what hints have given you that impression,

Potential competition. You'd think any higher end Champ side with a vacancy would fancy him. Could end up being any of the relegated Prem sides or any of the sides who don't win the Playoffs. 

If speculation on here is correct and he doesn't fancy being a 'head coach' (instead of a manager) we may have a problem. Just conjecture at the moment but naturally people will get a bit twitchy the longer it goes on.

83 pages so far.

In essence: 

We are in the process of filling the most important role at the Club

Many fans want to know who it will be

The Club are acting professionally

The media inevitably contribute to the speculation

Over the last 24 hours some info has suggested an effort to manage expectations

We all need to be patient and trust our hierarchy 

I hope it’s CH ?

1 hour ago, grifty said:

I don't believe Ashton 'controls' the policy. My opinion is that the manager, scouts, analysts, MA get together and discuss the merits of which players are required/interesting. Then the manager and MA have to explain their judgement to SL & JL who give the final sign off on what the maximum it is they are willing to spend on wages + transfer fee, then its MAs job to get the lowest possible transfer fee accepted, then up to the manager and MA to convince the player its the right move to them. I believe that's roughly what MA explained is how it works in an interview a few years ago. If people don't want to believe that and think its a lie or cover up, then that's their issue, not the clubs.

Do I want a manager alone to be in charge of who we buy and how much for? No - then we'd be worryingly close to Redknapp at Portsmouth. The manager will always want to best players they can get and would pay for that - its not their money.

Who’s our Head Scout? 

Why are we looking for a Head Coach and not a traditional Manager? 

Did Ashton say he is in charge of everything that happens ‘off the field’? 

The answer to those questions will tell you who’s in control. 

1 hour ago, grifty said:

I don't believe Ashton 'controls' the policy. My opinion is that the manager, scouts, analysts, MA get together and discuss the merits of which players are required/interesting. Then the manager and MA have to explain their judgement to SL & JL who give the final sign off on what the maximum it is they are willing to spend on wages + transfer fee, then its MAs job to get the lowest possible transfer fee accepted, then up to the manager and MA to convince the player its the right move to them. I believe that's roughly what MA explained is how it works in an interview a few years ago. If people don't want to believe that and think its a lie or cover up, then that's their issue, not the clubs.

Do I want a manager alone to be in charge of who we buy and how much for? No - then we'd be worryingly close to Redknapp at Portsmouth. The manager will always want to best players they can get and would pay for that - its not their money.

The Head Coach reports to Ashton, as do the analysts. He describes the player database as his database. He very much is the main power over transfers in and out.

LJ was prepared to live with that, though he made his underlying dissatisfaction with it clear from time to time, including in his last post match interview.

Whether Hughton will accept the balance of power remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

Could anyone blame him for tuning his back on this fiasco of recruiting a new manager. And if they want to lump  the Johnson  team on his back then he would be mad to take it. They are part of the Johnson era and should be consigned to history. 

Hughton will need people he trusts , unfortunately that may well not include Holden and Macca , tough , it’s how it works 

My biggest fear is as usual that we will mess this up ( didn’t use the phrase I wanted to you ) again , I have masses of time and respect for SL , but the board / panel are treating this as before as a huge ego trip , ‘ mass of candidates , big club , lucky sod who gets this job etc ‘ , hanging out the process , there is need to get on with it , very short close season to sort ins and outs and make this bunch of under performers into a team.

if people say it take time to get It right then look at last time , three weeks of crap about processes and interviews and then he appoints his stepson who he wanted from the off

3 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Hughton will need people he trusts , unfortunately that may well not include Holden and Macca , tough , it’s how it works 

My biggest fear is as usual that we will mess this up ( didn’t use the phrase I wanted to you ) again , I have masses of time and respect for SL , but the board / panel are treating this as before as a huge ego trip , ‘ mass of candidates , big club , lucky sod who gets this job etc ‘ , hanging out the process , there is need to get on with it , very short close season to sort ins and outs and make this bunch of under performers into a team.

if people say it take time to get It right then look at last time , three weeks of crap about processes and interviews and then he appoints his stepson who he wanted from the off

Where is the evidence that they are treating this as an ego trip? Everything I can see shows that on the contrary they try to keep the whole process under wraps, which inevitably leads to masses of uninformed speculation. They then try to damp down the feverish gossip by pointing out that they are reviewing all the candidates, rather than prejudging the issue in favour of a good and famous candidate.

Hughton is a good candidate. He may even be the best one. But we don’t know that.

18 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Potential competition. You'd think any higher end Champ side with a vacancy would fancy him. Could end up being any of the relegated Prem sides or any of the sides who don't win the Playoffs. 

If speculation on here is correct and he doesn't fancy being a 'head coach' (instead of a manager) we may have a problem. Just conjecture at the moment but naturally people will get a bit twitchy the longer it goes on.

if he is holding out for higher placed teams then is he the right man to take over at City?

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

if he is holding out for higher placed teams then is he the right man to take over at City?

I don’t think it’s being suggested that he’s holding out. More that, by wanting to interview a full field, we are waiting and another vacancy may then arise that interests him more. Another south coast position at Bournemouth, perhaps. 
He may be more than ready to sign on the dotted line now, just we haven’t given him that chance.

6 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Where is the evidence that they are treating this as an ego trip? Everything I can see shows that on the contrary they try to keep the whole process under wraps, which inevitably leads to masses of uninformed speculation. They then try to damp down the feverish gossip by pointing out that they are reviewing all the candidates, rather than prejudging the issue in favour of a good and famous candidate.

Hughton is a good candidate. He may even be the best one. But we don’t know that.

Sorry if anything is true that they are still considering eight candidates after 3 weeks and are now interviewing them all that shows no clear thinking at all , no plan, just either as I say an ego trip to hang it out or very muddled thinking , for which they have form 

2 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I don’t think it’s being suggested that he’s holding out. More that, by wanting to interview a full field, we are waiting and another vacancy may then arise that interests him more. Another south coast position at Bournemouth, perhaps. 
He may be more than ready to sign on the dotted line now, just we haven’t given him that chance.

Its hypothetical,

1 minute ago, Cov 77 said:

Sorry if anything is true that they are still considering eight candidates after 3 weeks and are now interviewing them all that shows no clear thinking at all , no plan, just either as I say an ego trip to hang it out or very muddled thinking , for which they have form 

No it shows due diligence and professionalism

1 minute ago, Will b11 said:

A mate of mine has just told me that one of his other mates had seen Sam szmodics at a golf course in Bristol today ( idk which one ) but he said he spoke to him and asked about Hughton and he said it’s a done deal waiting to be announced. 

pics or it didn't happen

Also we don't have golf course on the roof

And thanks for sharing :)

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

He's ultimately going to look out for himself. A manager of his profile and track record will always have options - his CV alone makes him an excellent candidate, we shouldn't take it personally if he thinks about a role with Watford for example. It's to be expected. When going for people in demand it's natural.

1 minute ago, Will b11 said:

A mate of mine has just told me that one of his other mates had seen Sam szmodics at a golf course in Bristol today ( idk which one ) but he said he spoke to him and asked about Hughton and he said it’s a done deal waiting to be announced. 

Szmodics does play golf. Does one solid fact lift the whole "friend of a friend" hearsay to the level of "credible evidence"? I'd love this to be true btw.

5 hours ago, James54De said:

That wasn’t at all what I was asking. I’m asking about refunds if a customer asked the club before the season starts. Not COVID related refunds. 

Sorry for trying to help & wasting your time ..........however the no refunds part relates to those that had already purchased season tickets. So irrespective of Covid Cardiff are not obliged or offering refunds for tickets purchased already for 20/21 season Irrespective of circumstance 

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

He's ultimately going to look out for himself. A manager of his profile and track record will always have options - his CV alone makes him an excellent candidate, we shouldn't take it personally if he thinks about a role with Watford for example. It's to be expected. When going for people in demand it's natural.

I wouldnt but you know what will happen here and the amount of bed wetting that will happen,

Then we will end up appointing holden,

People will shit a brick

And then we end up winning the championship 

22 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think this is the key bit (in bold)- I love the debate around pros and cons, ifs and maybes - However its people that don't acknowledge that fact and then get angry with the club/Landsdown/Ashton as though their opinion is a fact (not saying you are doing that PF - like the way you post). There are any number of reasons that we may not have announced yet that may be nothing to do with the club. We may already have an agreement but have a good reason to delay announcing, CH may want more time (if you think he's the right candidate and this is the case do you tell him to get lost and move on?), there may be processes that need completion before things are finalised - there are so many unknown variables to get angry with the process and assume we are screwing around and ruining our chances is just silly. 

Archived