IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

Just now, Southport Red said:

No, it shows they sacked Johnson and had no plans in place to replace him. Whatever happened to contingency planning?

Do you know no plans were in place

Can you show the proof of your inside knowledge of the inner workings of bristol city 

A club that for the last 4 years has leaked little to nothing to the press

2 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

No, it shows they sacked Johnson and had no plans in place to replace him. Whatever happened to contingency planning?

That’s actually the pretty normal way of doing things in this industry....Johnson was sacked because, and when, it was clear he’d failed the objective of getting us into the top six.

Once that happened it’s really academic whether the new man is in post 6 hours or 6 weeks later as the season is finished. 

13 minutes ago, Will b11 said:

A mate of mine has just told me that one of his other mates had seen Sam szmodics at a golf course in Bristol today ( idk which one ) but he said he spoke to him and asked about Hughton and he said it’s a done deal waiting to be announced. 

His instagram story he was looking for a game of golf in Bristol today.

5 minutes ago, readie14 said:

Szmodics?

5 minutes ago, Will b11 said:

That’s what he told me yeah , hopefully it is true ??

Hopefully.

My only doubt is whether one of our players would divulge private information to a stranger like that?

Be brilliant if it’s true.

2 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Szmodics?

Hopefully.

My only doubt is whether one of our players would divulge private information to a stranger like that?

Szmodics was on Instagram earlier today yeah 

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

That’s actually the pretty normal way of doing things in this industry....Johnson was sacked because, and when, it was clear he’d failed the objective of getting us into the top six.

Once that happened it’s really academic whether the new man is in post 6 hours or 6 weeks later as the season is finished. 

My point is that it was plain going into lockdown that LJ was struggling. For three months there was no football, so very little going on, yet the leadership were totally unprepared when firing Johnson two weeks into the resumption. I was responding to Monkeh’s insistence we were acting professionally. For me, professionalism would’ve been to have spent some of the three months of lockdown scenario planning for the (very real possibility that LJ would be sacked soon after lockdown. We appear to have been caught cold by our own actions. 

28 minutes ago, Will b11 said:

A mate of mine has just told me that one of his other mates had seen Sam szmodics at a golf course in Bristol today ( idk which one ) but he said he spoke to him and asked about Hughton and he said it’s a done deal waiting to be announced. 

Obviously it could only have been Jungle Rumble in Cabot Circus ⛳

4 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

My point is that it was plain going into lockdown that LJ was struggling. For three months there was no football, so very little going on, yet the leadership were totally unprepared when firing Johnson two weeks into the resumption. I was responding to Monkeh’s insistence we were acting professionally. For me, professionalism would’ve been to have spent some of the three months of lockdown scenario planning for the (very real possibility that LJ would be sacked soon after lockdown. We appear to have been caught cold by our own actions. 

We were one point outside the playoffs with players who had been out injured or playing through injury all about to come back. 

5 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

We were 1 point off 6th going into lockdown, LJ's target was play offs why would he have been sacked? So how was it a 'very real' possibility LJ would lose his job at that point? It was the losses after lockdown that cost him job not position we were in it beforehand because we fell away from the play offs and were unlikely to reach them.

7 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

It would surprise me very much to learn that we had absolutely zero preparation or planning in place, and I can’t actually see any evidence of that, beyond the fact that we haven’t appointed someone without interview or due diligence being followed, and supporters taking that to mean we are bumbling around being completely amateur about it.

As I said earlier, over the last few years we’ve managed to keep pretty much all transfer dealings under complete wraps until very close to announcement time, so I highly doubt that Gregor has anywhere near the full facts of the situation, and the same goes for us. 

I can see lots of assumption on this thread and very little actual fact.....

12 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Szmodics?

Hopefully.

Quite possible that a player would divulge info like that which is why the club having kept everything under wraps is hardly likely to tell the players before they are ready to announce it themselves. More likely that Sammy got the info off Talk Sport etc

25 minutes ago, readie14 said:

What fore?

This knocks the Avon Gorge Hotel, Curbishley's properties and filling up his car at the local petrol station into a cocked hat!

3 minutes ago, barrington said:

When betting companies stop taking bets on things - for example a new manager. Is that because they have inside info or some very large bets have been placed on that person in quick succession? 

When I had a brief stint at the bookies years ago, the computer would automatically pull markets if a large amounts of bets were placed. This market would then be checked and either kept offline or put back. 

31 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

So if you have a continually updated list of 5 managers/head coaches you'd want when Johnson left and if they tell you they don't want to speak to you until the end of the season out of respects for the club they work for what do you do? 

Hughton will more than likely have been outside the mould of who we'd have been looking for but has such good credentials you can't not be interested and interview him.

10 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

We were 1 point off 6th going into lockdown, LJ's target was play offs why would he have been sacked? So how was it a 'very real' possibility LJ would lose his job at that point? It was the losses after lockdown that cost him job not position we were in it beforehand because we fell away from the play offs and were unlikely to reach them.

Crikey...no one thought Johnson's position was vulnerable before we went into lockdown? He's been living on borrowed time for months - or should have been!

But that is, of course, just my opinion.

Seems to me that an essential part of Ashton's job is succession planning, in all roles. 

It is perfectly possible that the club sees this moment as an opportunity to interview a range of managers, some for now, some to build a relationship for the future...which would be prudent.

On the other hand this could all be part-building, chaps with big egos but few concrete achievements in the game drawing out the interview process and lapping up the attention.

In truth we'll probably never know.

Just now, James54De said:

When I had a brief stint at the bookies years ago, the computer would automatically pull markets if a large amounts of bets were placed. This market would then be checked and either kept offline or put back. 

Can imagine a large quantity of bets when Hughton reached 16/1 combined with the reports from the media would be enough to keep it pulled.

Just now, Red Exile said:

Crikey...no one thought Johnson's position was vulnerable before we went into lockdown? He's been living on borrowed time for months - or should have been!

But that is, of course, just my opinion.

Seems to me that an essential part of Ashton's job is succession planning, in all roles. 

It is perfectly possible that the club sees this moment as an opportunity to interview a range of managers, some for now, some to build a relationship for the future...which would be prudent.

On the other hand this could all be part-building, chaps with big egos but few concrete achievements in the game drawing out the interview process and lapping up the attention.

Fan opinion, as said we were 7th and 1 point off the play offs, fans didn't like Johnson's style of play etc and were annoyed about not winning regularly at home given on average 15000 more fans attend home games than away where we were picking up points. But do you really think the club/board cared about the style of football that got us to the play offs as long as it got us there? As we saw as soon as reaching the play offs wasn't possible he was sacked.

Archived