IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's true however "Bristol Boy" formally of this forum is saying on Twitter that he's heard (via someone at BHA who allegedly tipped him off about Webster) that Hughton is not happening.

God, that guy has whatever the Twitter version of verbal diarrhoea is, loves the sound of his own keyboard! Always comes across to me as someone who loves people to think he has info. 

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

No one outside the club has a clue about the process,

So many people saying different things sadly,

Always the same in the social media age 

I get your point and know what you're saying, but that's not quite true. A couple do, one or two on this forum have a better idea than most. Probably not "Bristol Boy" though.

11 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Sorry, only just picked up on this one.

This ‘Magdalan College’?  Where’s that then?  Presumably you don’t mean Magdalen College Oxford as I find it hard to believe that an Oxford graduate would misspell the name of their own college!

I went to Matalan College, does that count? ?

32 minutes ago, frenchred said:

that will be the same GMcG who a week ago said it definitely won’t be ch! the bloke has zero contacts and yet most on here drool over him.

When did he say that? Please provide evidence.

No one’s drooling, but most of us are able to recognise a decent bloke simply finding out what he can and reporting it.

4 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I don’t think anyone sensible is suggesting any of the above. Hughton is however an excellent manager at Championship level and has been pursued by several clubs in the last year for good reason, employing him doesn’t guarantee anything but it’s less of a risk than giving the job to someone with no experience or success in Championship football.

The fact that a manager of his Caliber appears to be interested understandably excites many of us who want to believe that we could be serious contenders in this division. Lowe, Flynn, Cowleys etc could all get us promoted but Hughton has form hence why I feel many supporters are eager to see this get over the line.

This managerial appointment will tell us a lot about where we are as a club.

You were doing well until the last sentence. It’s not about a big name, it’s about appointing the right person for the job at the moment. In normal times, CH would look to be a good fit, but it’s not normal times and affordability is a much bigger issue right now. 

16 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

When did he say that? Please provide evidence.

No one’s drooling, but most of us are able to recognise a decent bloke simply finding out what he can and reporting it.

I don't doubt he's a good bloke but I'm yet to be convinced of the quality of his info - seems to me the club would deliberately misinform him on something like this (especially when he's not pulled his punches in the past with his criticisms), I mean why would anyone involved in the recruitment process risk leaking stuff into the mainstream press? There will be so few people involved that it doesn't make sense to me, which is why I refuse to meltdown about anything being reported in the media. We have got very good in recent years at keeping this stuff very, very close to our chests.  

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I don't doubt he's a good bloke but I'm yet to be convinced of the quality of his info - seems to me the club would deliberately misinform him on something like this (especially when he's not pulled his punches in the past with his criticisms), I mean why would anyone involved in the recruitment process risk leaking stuff into the mainstream press? There will be so few people involved that it doesn't make sense to me, which is why I refuse to meltdown about anything being reported in the media. We have got very good in recent years at keeping this stuff very, very close to our chests.  

Hes better than the last bloke stockhosen I think.

49 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

God, that guy has whatever the Twitter version of verbal diarrhoea is, loves the sound of his own keyboard! Always comes across to me as someone who loves people to think he has info. 

All a matter of opinion.

I've listened to a couple of different City podcasts this morning - OSIB & Forever BCFC - and he stands out as the best and most knowledgeable contributor on either of them afaic.

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Interesting comment at the end that MA has sacked every coach we’ve had. I not sure if this is completely true, but City does seem to have a high turnover of coaches. I suppose this is normal, to a degree, but some at City have been here today gone tomorrow. Would anyone like to comment on the various comings and goings?

Chief Scouts no longer here under Ashton’s watch :

Russ Richardson. 
Keith Burt. 
Des Taylor. 
Mervyn Day. 
Current Chief Scout : Vacant since Sept 19. 

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

we do have a head of recruitment and it’s not mark ashton! we do have a team of scouts

We have Damian Butt who is HoR for the Academy. We don’t have a first team HoR. 

2 hours ago, cityal said:

I guess it may depend on what you term as "interference"

If you are suggesting that MA, JL or SL pick the team, decide on formation or tactics, and interfere in training then no I don't think that happens at our club. As far as i can tell that is the role of the head coach and the coaching team, and the involvement of the executive management folks there should be tiny if any.  I am open minded though so if someone was to show me direct evidence of such interference I could change my position on that.  

If by "interference" you mean that the Bristol city head coach has to work with others including MA, JL, SL, the Financial team and Analysts to decide on player recruitment - then 100% yes the club do "interfere" and with the good reason of ensuring financial stability and meeting FFP.

I also hope the club view this part as a "red line" and will NEVER recruit a coach/manager that demands full control of this aspect - in general i don't hear of too many football mangers/coaches that know their way around excel and financial planning spreadsheets. These are multi-million pound businesses and turning control of finances over to a Harry Redknapp and his dog type character is the road to ruin.

This is a good read on the Liverpool situation over recent years - https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/how-liverpools-transfer-committee-went-16479508 

In short they had a transfer committee that Brendan Rogers didn't want to work with. BR brought in Andy Carroll and Christian Benteke who he had identified as his key targets, The committee bought Roberto Firminho based on player analysis. Nowadays Klopp works well with the committee and the results of their recent recruitment are the number of trophies they are accumulating.

Does working with a committee of people to decide transfers make Klopp a yes man or just make him a savvy leader that can manage up as well down? 

Like most on here I want us to appoint CH immediately subject of course to both the club and CH being able to work together, the club being able to afford it, and Hughton not making silly demands over transfer budget etc. Hughton has a track record second to none in this division and seems to be the standout candidate, and like many I am frustrated by the apparent delay.  

Good post CityAl, I think the big take away is that all “departments” need to work together and be aligned.  Little comments from LJ after Cardiff, plus those few on here who might know inside stuff, suggest they had different hum sheets.

If you’re gonna use a data driven approach then you’ve got to fully understand the inputs, the data processing and the outputs, and accept that.  That’s not to say you can’t tweak things through continuous improvement.  If you’ve over-calibrated the data for a winger from Sweden, don’t continue to over-calibrate, fix it.

Re excel and financial planning, yep, I don’t expect a head coach to produce the monthly cash flow projection, but I do expect them to understand the high level impact of recruitment on P&L and FFP.

2 hours ago, milo1111 said:

You make good points and I understand what you say about the best managers working with transfer committees. They are however fishing in a different talent pool player wise.

You view mark ashtons involvement in identifying transfers as a positive but I’m not so sure. Some would agree with you and some would agree with me. We could argue this all day long. The only thing I would say is that with the exception of Webster I think the jury is out on his success with this system. There is no doubt Ashton is a great negotiator though.

it really is becoming obvious to everyone now that we are the sort of club looking to employ more of a head coach than a manager.

for me the glaring issue is the lack of a director of football to create a footballing philosophy throughout the club and then the tailoring of ashtons recruitment system to facilitate this a la Brentford.

at the moment all I see is some self congratulating smug boys club where we seem to think we have a great structure (dna and all that BS), the football on the pitch is truly dire and we have no recognisable style of play or identity.

Different ponds, lakes and oceans, but the principles of recruitment and trading must be there.  Harry is right, MA is not skilled in Talent ID, he is undoubtedly skilled in other areas, e.g. negotiation and football operations management.

I agree that a DoF has been missing under LJ, although it might’ve been an on-site mentor he needed really.  I do think his lack of experience in dealing with a MA-type has shown, but in some respects MA has let have his “clubs in the bag” too.  The partnership looks like it had flaws.

The new man might not need a DoF. Hughton worked with Dan Ashworth, who ran Brighton in a very similar way to MA.

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Interesting comment at the end that MA has sacked every coach we’ve had. I not sure if this is completely true, but City does seem to have a high turnover of coaches. I suppose this is normal, to a degree, but some at City have been here today gone tomorrow. Would anyone like to comment on the various comings and goings?

Think he said Head-Scout, not coach.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Sorry, only just picked up on this one.

This ‘Magdalan College’?  Where’s that then?  Presumably you don’t mean Magdalen College Oxford as I find it hard to believe that an Oxford graduate would misspell the name of their own college!

Wonder whether he knows how to pronounce Magdalen?

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I get your point and know what you're saying, but that's not quite true. A couple do, one or two on this forum have a better idea than most. Probably not "Bristol Boy" though.

Im over generalising to be fair fogg, you are right there are a few but only that, Harry and kid for example

48 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Gmcg isn't the problem, the post is the problem, he must have something everyday regardless of truth in order to generate clicks so they can make ad revenue

I dont believe anything he puts in the post,

Its obvious that he is trying to forge links and our previous head coach liked him by all accounts,

But the club just doesn't leak things these days, and if there is a small link, they make people wait longer then they should before releasing the info

47 minutes ago, Harry said:

Chief Scouts no longer here under Ashton’s watch :

Russ Richardson. 
Keith Burt. 
Des Taylor. 
Mervyn Day. 
Current Chief Scout : Vacant since Sept 19. 

We have Damian Butt who is HoR for the Academy. We don’t have a first team HoR. 

The lack of Scouting and Chief Scout feels like a problem!

I would also add to that, the lack of a dedicated foreign Scout who understands foreign Leagues ie someone with good experience of said Leagues in addition to Day, might have been useful too. Didn't Louis-Jean play a role with Kodjia?

4 hours ago, cityal said:

I guess it may depend on what you term as "interference"

If you are suggesting that MA, JL or SL pick the team, decide on formation or tactics, and interfere in training then no I don't think that happens at our club. As far as i can tell that is the role of the head coach and the coaching team, and the involvement of the executive management folks there should be tiny if any.  I am open minded though so if someone was to show me direct evidence of such interference I could change my position on that.  

If by "interference" you mean that the Bristol city head coach has to work with others including MA, JL, SL, the Financial team and Analysts to decide on player recruitment - then 100% yes the club do "interfere" and with the good reason of ensuring financial stability and meeting FFP.

I also hope the club view this part as a "red line" and will NEVER recruit a coach/manager that demands full control of this aspect - in general i don't hear of too many football mangers/coaches that know their way around excel and financial planning spreadsheets. These are multi-million pound businesses and turning control of finances over to a Harry Redknapp and his dog type character is the road to ruin.

This is a good read on the Liverpool situation over recent years - https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/how-liverpools-transfer-committee-went-16479508 

In short they had a transfer committee that Brendan Rogers didn't want to work with. BR brought in Andy Carroll and Christian Benteke who he had identified as his key targets, The committee bought Roberto Firminho based on player analysis. Nowadays Klopp works well with the committee and the results of their recent recruitment are the number of trophies they are accumulating.

Does working with a committee of people to decide transfers make Klopp a yes man or just make him a savvy leader that can manage up as well down? 

Like most on here I want us to appoint CH immediately subject of course to both the club and CH being able to work together, the club being able to afford it, and Hughton not making silly demands over transfer budget etc. Hughton has a track record second to none in this division and seems to be the standout candidate, and like many I am frustrated by the apparent delay.  

I think I said previously that the ability to manage upwards is a key skill for the new manager/coach. He will need to be savvy enough to buy into our way of working initially and then use those skills to direct this to be far more effective than it has.  A strong character with a backbone and ability to lead...

Archived