IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

26 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Not at all...he answered that it was a silly question because it WAS a silly question! If he was interested he wouldn't come out and tell a local hack, so the question probably pissed him off enough to decide it didn't deserve an actual answer.

Neil is said to be more and more annoyed up at Preston by their owners lack of intention to allow investment, barely gets anything to put into the squad and their training ground proposal has just fallen apart. Deepdale remains unfinished as they're basically waiting/hoping they getting to the prem to finish it off. Really wouldn't be surprised for Neil to be looking at what options are available elsewhere and we're a step up on Preston in terms of club structure etc

38 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You know what, I had his name typed out in that post but removed it. But yeah, he'd be my guess. 

Big risk, but he is highly rated. Kinda like McInnes, he'd either sink or swim. 

Out of all the names that have been mentioned, Ryan Lowe would have to be the most underwhelming appointment

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Neil is said to be more and more annoyed up at Preston by their owners lack of intention to allow investment, barely gets anything to put into the squad and their training ground proposal has just fallen apart. Deepdale remains unfinished as they're basically waiting/hoping they getting to the prem to finish it off. Really wouldn't be surprised for Neil to be looking at what options are available elsewhere and we're a step up on Preston in terms of club structure etc

Neil would snap our hands off I recon. Not that I want him here.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Only mystery to me is say Hughton deal falls apart then who is third choice?

For those banging on about Robins and Cook still I've heard neither of those are likely. 

Sooo...

That’s where I’m at.  

I might just be in blind faith cause of Hughton, but I think the club will just be ticking boxes with interviewing others. They know they want hughton but want to use it as a chance to give young, local managers experience/training in interviewing for much bigger roles, sound them out for the future etc before giving it to Hughton publicly Monday/Tuesday.

Either that or we’ve been rejected and are scrambling, but I can’t see that happening. It would’ve come out by now. 

35 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He was Dawe's pick though, and he isn't involved any more since his illness. 

SL wants a manager he can be close to, which is part of the reason SOD was a disaster waiting to happen because SOD wasn't interested in speaking to him before and after every game, or going for dinner with him. Plus he delivered some inconvenient home truths about the way the club was run. In fairness, we acted on some of them and are better for it. 

Something I’ve always suspected and is why I’m convinced Johnson got the job ie. because he would give lansdown the inside track on what was going on in the dressing room.

How very depressing. This is what worries me in terms of top managers believing there is interference and not feeling that they are being trusted and left alone to do their job. 

51 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think it's pretty gullible to think Gerrard would say anything else other than that he hasn't heard from us to quell speculation... Even if there had indeed been informal talks with his agent and City, which I strongly believe there were.

Spot on .... it made me laugh when people were saying “Gerrard can’t be in talks, he’s with Rangers and they’re playing abroad tonight..” - amazing how many don’t get how it works now ... agents do all the initial groundwork, meetings, phone calls, negotiations etc .... why would high profile figures pay agents so much if they themselves were expected to attend initial meetings?! 

I was watching MOTD and seeing Dean Smith managing in the Prem at Villa, it made me think, if he would have come into City at the time from Walsall everyone would be up in arms for the lack of ambition from the club, cheap option, lack of experience etc etc, yet he went into Brentford and did very well, then went to Villa and got them up and is now in the Prem.  Who is to say Lowe or whoever couldn’t do similar?  

There are no guarantees, football isn’t that easy, if it was then no appointments would fail.  Don’t get me wrong I want Hughton, and the fact we’ve been able to attract a manager of his experience and standing shows how far as a club we have come, however if that doesn’t happen and we go with someone with less experience, it doesn’t spell disaster either!  Keep the faith!

28 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I was watching MOTD and seeing Dean Smith managing in the Prem at Villa, it made me think, if he would have come into City at the time from Walsall everyone would be up in arms for the lack of ambition from the club, cheap option, lack of experience etc etc, yet he went into Brentford and did very well, then went to Villa and got them up and is now in the Prem.  Who is to say Lowe or whoever couldn’t do similar?  

There are no guarantees, football isn’t that easy, if it was then no appointments would fail.  Don’t get me wrong I want Hughton, and the fact we’ve been able to attract a manager of his experience and standing shows how far as a club we have come, however if that doesn’t happen and we go with someone with less experience, it doesn’t spell disaster either!  Keep the faith!

Assuming you can’t attract your top choices, e.g. Gerrard, Hughton, because they think you’re not the right club for them, where do you go next.

You really want to find the manager, who’s about to really take off and become high profile.

People laughed at @headhunter’s Poccetino suggestion, but if we had the hindsight, we would’ve picked him up whilst he was relatively unknown at Espanyol, just as he was about to make his mark at Southampton.  The rest is history.

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Probably had a chat with his agent though

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2020/07/25/steven-gerrard-plays-down-bristol-city-link/463021/

Not even that according to the man himself.

Gerrard said to reporters when asked about the link with Bristol City: "I am content here, I'm happy.

"My people haven't heard anything from Bristol City, so I think it's just paper talk and rumours."

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

Yes, the old ground “The Rec” was a special ground, it always had a good feel about it. The new one, although being bigger, just feels too open.

Anyway, they beat Dorking 3-2, now they play at home to Dartford next Saturday, for a place in the National League, and back to back promotions. 

I played against Tony Diaz once.  His son was at Weymouth recently too.

1 hour ago, Loosey Boy said:

For City to deliberate over CH (someone with a track-record at this level) for so long, suggests to me that City aren’t sure/happy with something as otherwise, he’d have been confirmed by now!

Perhaps it’s down to terms? His salary/request to bring his own back room staff/transfer budget??

Or perhaps, they are waiting on someone else?

Thoughts @Kid in the Riot

I know it’s a long thread so probably lost a few times along the way, but I’ve mentioned from the start that Hughton simply doesn’t fit the structure. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’d have him and he’s the absolute sensible choice. 

But City have been clear that they want a young manager who will fit the ‘head coach’ role, not the ‘manager’ role. 

This is clearly the dilemma our board are facing. If they go with the sensible and clearly popular choice they’ll need to break their structure. Some noses will be put out of joint and some toes will be stepped on. 

There are existing board members and staff at BCFC who think that Hughton will not sing and dance to the tune of the current structure (ie focus on youth, working under a DoF, accept that we’ll be buying players to maximise sales, playing strictly within FFP etc etc). I know there are concerns that there’ll be a ‘short termism’ rather than the ‘long term project’ which LJ was happy to buy into (this means treating the academy with as much focus and respect as the first team). That sort of stuff. 

As I said. I’d take Hughton, so don’t shoot the messenger. But there is clearly a situation where Hughton doesn’t fit the profile, and yet is clearly the stand out candidate. The board are clearly contemplating this and looking to see if there is anyone who fits their bill before settling for Hughton. 

In one sense, you have to admire them for sticking to their remit and the structure/philosophy/plan. In another sense you think, jeez, just do it already!! 

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Out of all the names that have been mentioned, Ryan Lowe would have to be the most underwhelming appointment

I get what your saying, but.... in fairness to him he has managed for two years and got two different teams promoted, not exactly a bad record.

A far better record already than the bloke whose managed us for the last four years. 

1 minute ago, Portland Bill said:

I get what your saying, but.... in fairness to him he has managed for two years and got two different teams promoted, not exactly a bad record.

A far better record already than the bloke whose managed us for the last four years. 

No, you can't argue with a 100 per cent record I suppose! 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I know it’s a long thread so probably lost a few times along the way, but I’ve mentioned from the start that Hughton simply doesn’t fit the structure. 

But City have been clear that they want a young manager who will fit the ‘head coach’ role, not the ‘manager’ role. 

This is clearly the dilemma our board are facing. If they go with the sensible and clearly popular choice they’ll need to break their structure. Some noses will be put out of joint and some toes will be stepped on. 

There are existing board members and staff at BCFC who think that Hughton will not sing and dance to the tune of the current structure (ie focus on youth, working under a DoF, accept that we’ll be buying players to maximise sales, playing strictly within FFP etc etc). I know there are concerns that there’ll be a ‘short termism’ rather than the ‘long term project’ which LJ was happy to buy into (this means treating the academy with as much focus and respect as the first team). That sort of stuff. 

As I said. I’d take Hughton, so don’t shoot the messenger. But there is clearly a situation where Hughton doesn’t fit the profile, and yet is clearly the stand out candidate. The board are clearly contemplating this and looking to see if there is anyone who fits their bill before settling for Hughton. 

In one sense, you have to admire them for sticking to their remit and the structure/philosophy/plan. In another sense you think, jeez, just do it already!! 

Agree with that BUT, LJ  was fired because he did not make the top six and SL has come out again and stated that the PL is the aim and ASAP.

We go inexperienced again and you have to look at a 3/4 year timeframe barring a miracle.

I don’t see that as SL’s agenda at all.

As many have said this appointment will tell us all we need to know about the true ambition.

12 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

As many have said this appointment will tell us all we need to know about the true ambition

Not really as we'd never know why Hughton wasn't given it if he doesn't get it, we won't know if it was our choice or his demands.

24 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Agree with that BUT, LJ  was fired because he did not make the top six and SL has come out again and stated that the PL is the aim and ASAP.

We go inexperienced again and you have to look at a 3/4 year timeframe barring a miracle.

I don’t see that as SL’s agenda at all.

As many have said this appointment will tell us all we need to know about the true ambition.

Absolutely. I’ve said all along that this is a real eye-opening appointment. 
LJ was here to help build the ‘project’, establish the ‘pathway’, adhere to FFP, competing with bigger budgeted clubs with parachute payments etc, it was a slowly slowly catchy monkey remit for him. 

The last season has seen a halt in the first team pathway and LJ voicing some concerns over recruitment, so it may be not just the failure to reach the playoffs, those others things maybe play a part too? 

This is why I find this as fascinating an appointment as there’s ever been. I’m certain they want someone who can stick to the plan, but within that, deliver success. But the groundswell for Hughton is really forcing their hand and he will definitely be outside of their plan. 

That’s why there’s such a delay, in my opinion. The board are having to consider the impact of a Hughton appointment on the rest of the club - how this impacts the academy prospects and coaches, how this impacts our buy-to-loan-to-maximise sale value approach, how this impacts the coaching structure (ie Holden, Macca, Mountain etc), how this impacts the data analysts etc. 

A Hughton appointment spells a sea-change in the structure. That’s why it’s being deliberated so much. 

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

The long-term strategy was/is based around having an Academy  in place for what, 25 plus years, great player ‘trading’, every possible new bit of scouting/training technology, loads of coaches,  injection of ££££millions by the Chairman to offset loses,  new stadium and a young, an up-and-coming Manager who was supposed to deliver the goal. 

We’re now in the mature delivery phase of the Strategy. We've so far failed to deliver the objective and are now moving further away from delivery at an alarmingly rapid rate. 

First Strategy Action: The manager now can’t be one ‘for the future’, it’s got to be an appointment for the ‘here and now’. 

Second Strategy Action: After 25 plus years, if the ‘tools’ aren’t available for the new manager to deliver promotion in a couple of seasons without a major resource input, then key components of the Strategy were failures and they need to be abandoned.

On 24/07/2020 at 22:38, Harry said:

Hi S_C. I just want to pick up the above quoted comment in your post. 
MA was not responsible for the recruitment in Cotterill’s tenure. He had absolutely zero influence on the signings that won league 1. 

MA was at City as a ‘consultant’, representing his recruitment company ‘Tactical Change’. He was here for a few months in 2012, during the McInnes era. He was gone again before SOD arrived. 

What he ‘implemented’ during his brief spell, was to essentially sell Scout 7 (some players analytics software) to the club, and bring in a couple of ‘analysts’ to interrogate this software. 

The recruitment under Cotterill, which helped win the league, was nothing to do with this software. 
SOD and Cotterill were ‘old school’ in terms of their scouting philosophy (remember too that Keith Burt was Chief Scout for both of these too). 
It was SOD & Burt who brought in Flint, Williams, Pack, Fielding, Jet & Wagstaff. 
I can 100% confirm that none of these were anything to do with Ashton and his software. They were all from Burt or Sod’s own knowledge and/or contacts. 
Likewise, the next summer, Cotterill & Burt were 100% behind Wilbraham, Smith, Freeman, Ayling, Elliott. 
Again, 100%, none of those names were linked in any way whatsoever with MA’s involvement. 
In fact, I’ll tell you also 100% that 4 of those names came directly from personal recommendations in conversations with SOD & Burt, with whom I was in regular contact with at the time. 

Only upon MA’s return to the club did he then implement the model that’s now in place. Prior to that it was all very much the old fashioned way of having an experienced head scout working closely with the manager. 

So just to absolutely clarify, MA had absolutely zero influence in any of the transfers which built the L1 winning team. 

Can’t be any clearer than that!

Plus I’m pretty certain that I prefer the old school way of doing things, apart from anything else it appears to yield better outcomes, so long as you have a manager worthy of the name. 

27 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I’m not a greatest fan of LJ, but if we’re talking about fairness, who’s to say LJ couldn’t have got a team promoted from League 2?

Both Lowe’s promotions have been from League 2 to League 1, so there’s no guarantee he can even get out of League 1, let alone take us up from the Championship.  

We had a bloke in Steve Cotterill who took us up as Champions from a league higher than Lowe has managed and then hit a brick wall in the Championship.  

Lowe may be someone who is just beginning his upward trajectory but imho, it would be a massive risk to pin our hopes on Lowe and we’ll look mighty stupid if we choose him over Hughton and then fail dismally.  

I’m not sure SL would ever live that one down.

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

LJ was here to help build the ‘project’, establish the ‘pathway’, adhere to FFP, competing with bigger budgeted clubs with parachute payments etc, it was a slowly slowly catchy monkey remit for him. 

The last season has seen a halt in the first team pathway and LJ voicing some concerns over recruitment, so it may be not just the failure to reach the playoffs, those others things maybe play a part too? 

This is why I find this as fascinating an appointment as there’s ever been. I’m certain they want someone who can stick to the plan, but within that, deliver success. But the groundswell for Hughton is really forcing their hand and he will definitely be outside of their plan. 

That’s why there’s such a delay, in my opinion. The board are having to consider the impact of a Hughton appointment on the rest of the club - how this impacts the academy prospects and coaches, how this impacts our buy-to-loan-to-maximise sale value approach, how this impacts the coaching structure (ie Holden, Macca, Mountain etc), how this impacts the data analysts etc. 

A Hughton appointment spells a sea-change in the structure. That’s why it’s being deliberated so much. 

Great post, Harry.

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

You are right @Harry

For me it’s now or never. There is a really good candidate available, he maybe doesn’t want it, but it is time to make a bid move forward.

Gerrard was an exciting option but a risk CH isn’t.

3 minutes ago, forestofdean said:

I am starting to think the delay is a tactic until the prem ends just in case a certain mr howe or mr smith becomes avalible

Rate them both.

But do we really want to appoint someone who really needs a break from it all.

CH is fresh and ready to go.

2 hours ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Think Tiny Penis has to top them all, atleast Flynn and Lowe have shown a bit of promise as a manager. Pulis is a gashead and his teams genuinely hurt to watch 

I still have the nightmares of "triffic tone's" time here. Don't forget we also had Lindsay Parsons as his assistant FFS. Now appointing a bloke who had a previous good track record but with unfortunate gas connections you could just about stomach but Lindsay ####ing Parsons!!!

8 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Rate them both.

But do we really want to appoint someone who really needs a break from it all.

CH is fresh and ready to go.

agree but we are now going into the 4th week,i just feel we may be holding out just in case some one becomes available that none of us would ever expects

Archived