IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

19 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

I’m not a greatest fan of LJ, but if we’re talking about fairness, who’s to say LJ couldn’t have got a team promoted from League 2?

Both Lowe’s promotions have been from League 2 to League 1, so there’s no guarantee he can even get out of League 1, let alone take us up from the Championship.  

We had a bloke in Steve Cotterill who took us up as Champions from a league higher than Lowe has managed and then hit a brick wall in the Championship.  

Lowe may be someone who is just beginning his upward trajectory but imho, it would be a massive risk to pin our hopes on Lowe and we’ll look mighty stupid if we choose him over Hughton and then fail dismally.  

I’m not sure SL would ever live that one down.

I want Hughton to be our manager. All I was saying is Ryan Lowe has a perfect record in the job he has chosen to do.

Lee Johnson, could have applied for League 2 jobs, he could have tested himself at that level, he chose not to.

He has managed three football teams and has achieved nothing, Ryan Lowe has.

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I want Hughton to be our manager. All I was saying is Ryan Lowe has a perfect record in the job he has chosen to do.

Lee Johnson, could have applied for League 2 jobs, he could have tested himself at that level, he chose not to.

He has managed three football teams and has achieved nothing, Ryan Lowe has.

I completely see where you were coming from PB and  agree re LJ and was why I was totally underwhelmed when we appointed him ..... he really hadn’t achieved anything to justify it.

I also get your point about RL’s promotions, but my fear now is the club may be putting more emphasis on finding someone who fits ‘the project’ rather than someone with the best chance of achieving success.

The Club are keeping things amazingly quiet, so we’re all left to just speculate, but the Club’s priorities should become crystal clear once the appointment is announced.

5 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

I completely see where you were coming from PB and  agree re LJ and was why I was totally underwhelmed when we appointed him ..... he really hadn’t achieved anything to justify it.

I also get your point about RL’s promotions, but my fear now is the club may be putting more emphasis on finding someone who fits ‘the project’ rather than someone with the best chance of achieving success.

The Club are keeping things amazingly quiet, so we’re all left to just speculate, but the Club’s priorities should become crystal clear once the appointment is announced.

We seem to be a club that likes to keep things under wraps, we do it with transfer fees, we don’t release details, it’s only agents and the other club involved who release those figures. 

So none of this surprises me tbh.

Its simply the way SL conducts the clubs business. There could be many reasons why no manager has been announced yet, lots of things go on behind the scenes that we are not privy too, it could be that we have someone who wants to get his backroom staff sorted first. Someone who didn’t feel comfortable about being announced while the current coaches were/are still doing their jobs. 

None of us know, we just have 100 pages of speculation!!

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

We seem to be a club that likes to keep things under wraps, we do it with transfer fees, we don’t release details, it’s only agents and the other club involved who release those figures. 

Its simply the way SL conducts the clubs business. There could be many reasons why no manager has been announced yet, lots of things go on behind the scenes that we are not privy too, it could be that we have someone who wants to get his backroom staff sorted first. Someone who didn’t feel comfortable about being announced while the current coaches were/are still doing their jobs. 

Oh yes, they certainly run a tight ship and it’s pretty impressive how they manage to stop anything coming out until they’re ready and that’s no bad thing.

Let’s just hope they get it right and we don’t end up with a meltdown on here, as it seems to be universally agreed that this will be a difinitive appointment for us and some of the names being banded about won’t go down well if chosen over CH.

I'd like to know more about Torrent. What I have seen and read so far looks encouraging. He would follow in the footsteps of all of those overseas coaches who have come in to a Championship club and done very well. Jokanovic, Frank, Bielsa. None with a Championship record. 

Forward thinking clubs who have tried the Hughton type route have been successful and have failed in equal measure, metaphorically you understand because there are always more failures. 

In order to reach the Premier League and stay there you are increasingly seeing a foreign coach, we all know that, but think about hitting the ground running like Wolves. Villa have not done so well have they. Then there is motor mouth at Norwich. Sadly the likes of what the Blades have done is currently the minority. Swings and roundabouts yes. Trends and abilities are always evolving of course and we will see a pool of great English coaches coming again, we are already seeing it. 

I just feel that if we were going to appoint Chris Hughton we would have done it by now. He is in England, he is available. 

An overseas coach takes a lot more to organise and reading about someone like Torrent I am verging on preferring such a candidate not least because he seems to play far more exciting football than Hughton and would, I think, be better suited after promotion. 

The secrecy, to me, points to such a candidate because many clubs will be looking at him; Watford for one. Pep? Have a word mate.

7 hours ago, Harry said:

I know it’s a long thread so probably lost a few times along the way, but I’ve mentioned from the start that Hughton simply doesn’t fit the structure. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’d have him and he’s the absolute sensible choice. 

But City have been clear that they want a young manager who will fit the ‘head coach’ role, not the ‘manager’ role. 

This is clearly the dilemma our board are facing. If they go with the sensible and clearly popular choice they’ll need to break their structure. Some noses will be put out of joint and some toes will be stepped on. 

There are existing board members and staff at BCFC who think that Hughton will not sing and dance to the tune of the current structure (ie focus on youth, working under a DoF, accept that we’ll be buying players to maximise sales, playing strictly within FFP etc etc). I know there are concerns that there’ll be a ‘short termism’ rather than the ‘long term project’ which LJ was happy to buy into (this means treating the academy with as much focus and respect as the first team). That sort of stuff. 

As I said. I’d take Hughton, so don’t shoot the messenger. But there is clearly a situation where Hughton doesn’t fit the profile, and yet is clearly the stand out candidate. The board are clearly contemplating this and looking to see if there is anyone who fits their bill before settling for Hughton. 

In one sense, you have to admire them for sticking to their remit and the structure/philosophy/plan. In another sense you think, jeez, just do it already!! 

I understand what your saying Harry but Hughton worked under Dan Ashcroft (Technical Director) and Paul Winstanley (head of recruitment ) at Brighton, Ashcroft's roll is not too dissimilar to Ashton's.

I agree about the the youth to a certain degree though but not totally, Hughton is renowned for picked his best 11 and sticking with it, he doesn't chop and change much..

9 minutes ago, stokes7 said:

I also think if we were gonna appoint hughton we would have by now, Ashton said from the start what city are looking for and hughton does not fit that 

Im starting to think the same, I think we are looking for a Graham Potter type

24 minutes ago, stokes7 said:

I also think if we were gonna appoint hughton we would have by now, Ashton said from the start what city are looking for and hughton does not fit that 

Agree, you just know we will all be underwhelmed, it's the City way.?

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I'd like to know more about Torrent. What I have seen and read so far looks encouraging. He would follow in the footsteps of all of those overseas coaches who have come in to a Championship club and done very well. Jokanovic, Frank, Bielsa. None with a Championship record. 

Forward thinking clubs who have tried the Hughton type route have been successful and have failed in equal measure, metaphorically you understand because there are always more failures. 

In order to reach the Premier League and stay there you are increasingly seeing a foreign coach, we all know that, but think about hitting the ground running like Wolves. Villa have not done so well have they. Then there is motor mouth at Norwich. Sadly the likes of what the Blades have done is currently the minority. Swings and roundabouts yes. Trends and abilities are always evolving of course and we will see a pool of great English coaches coming again, we are already seeing it. 

I just feel that if we were going to appoint Chris Hughton we would have done it by now. He is in England, he is available. 

An overseas coach takes a lot more to organise and reading about someone like Torrent I am verging on preferring such a candidate not least because he seems to play far more exciting football than Hughton and would, I think, be better suited after promotion. 

The secrecy, to me, points to such a candidate because many clubs will be looking at him; Watford for one. Pep? Have a word mate.

Unfortunately the Torrent link has no substance except one particular poster saying they heard something.

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Torrent does sound an interesting one, but considering the only mention of a link has been through the forum’s new chief wum, we’ll probably find this is just another of their wind up’s and total bs.

2 hours ago, stokes7 said:

Maybe he's on holiday in Spain. If so then prepare for a longer wait !!

9 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Rate them both.

But do we really want to appoint someone who really needs a break from it all.

CH is fresh and ready to go.

I hope this is true. I have voiced this concern before, so I won’t labour the point, but is he really hungry enough at 61 to go through the whole process again? 
The signs in interviews etc, suggests he would be, but he’s hardly going to say, “I’m just looking for a last payday in a nice part of the world”.

It’s my only word of caution, I still think he is the best name we have heard anything substantial about, but if I thought there was a serious chance of getting Jokanovic for instance, I would definitely be more interested in that kind of appointment, 10 years younger and clearly up for a challenge.

2 hours ago, M.D said:

I understand what your saying Harry but Hughton worked under Dan Ashcroft (Technical Director) and Paul Winstanley (head of recruitment ) at Brighton, Ashcroft's roll is not too dissimilar to Ashton's.

I agree about the the youth to a certain degree though but not totally, Hughton is renowned for picked his best 11 and sticking with it, he doesn't chop and change much..

Good point M.D.  They’ve a similar but slightly different set up. 
Winstanley is a Head of Recruitment, almost a modern style head scout where he looks after the scouting network as well as the analytics. 
We don’t have such a person in place. Gilhespy is more of a ‘video’ scout, not someone who runs the whole scouting dept. 
Ashworth is the Technical Director and performs many tasks that Ashton also does. 

But Ashton is basically 1 man that does both of those roles that Ashworth & Winstanley perform. It’s 1 man in total control of all of it. 

Interestingly Ashworth only arrived 6-7 months before Hughton left - so maybe Hughton wasn’t overly comfortable with the set up. 

Certainly, there’s an opinion out there that Hughton wasn’t given much to play with since Ashworth arrived, with blame being put toward Winstanley too (there were never any complaints about their recruitment prior to Ashworth’s arrival). 

CBB55EE2-D452-4E82-93BB-7AEDDE654B46.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Winstanley is a Head of Recruitment, almost a modern style head scout where he looks after the scouting network as well as the analytics. 
We don’t have such a person in place. Gilhespy is more of a ‘video’ scout, not someone who runs the whole scouting dept. 
Ashworth is the Technical Director and performs many tasks that Ashton also does. 

But Ashton is basically 1 man that does both of those roles that Ashworth & Winstanley perform. It’s 1 man in total control of all of it. 

Interestingly Ashworth only arrived 6-7 months before Hughton left - so maybe Hughton wasn’t overly comfortable with the set up. 

Certainly, there’s an opinion out there that Hughton wasn’t given much to play with since Ashworth arrived, with blame being put toward Winstanley too (there were never any complaints about their recruitment prior to Ashworth’s arrival). 

To be fair you can go on any forum in the world and find the same post,

Fans are never happy

Im not saying everything is perfect with ashton but its alot better then before him thats for sure,

We still need a proper head scout 

10 hours ago, YGBjammy said:

Presumably they won't announce on a Sunday right? Can I have a break from checking the website? ?

Right now we are in the nervous 90's should make 3 figures by close of play today unless heavy cloudy cover and the ball starts seaming .

England batsmen put to shame by specs wearing No11 Jack Leach… who ...

Not sure what the OTIB record thread currently stands at -I'm guessing Eddie Nketiah but stand to be corrected.*

*Excluding Bristol Rovers Dustbin Thread which is a perennial source of mirth 

3 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Right now we are in the nervous 90's should make 3 figures by close of play today unless heavy cloudy cover and the ball starts seaming .

England batsmen put to shame by specs wearing No11 Jack Leach… who ...

Not sure what the OTIB record thread currently stands at -I'm guessing Eddie Nketiah but stand to be corrected.

Any thread not connected to the other lot, you mean?!

9 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Have to wait until the end of the season before pep is announced obvs

10 hours ago, Harry said:

LJ was here to help build the ‘project’, establish the ‘pathway’, adhere to FFP, competing with bigger budgeted clubs with parachute payments etc, it was a slowly slowly catchy monkey remit for him. 

Sadly, it was mostly, and then only, "slowly, slowly" - with a growing evidence of "go around-y in a circle-y" - and no "catchy monkey."

On 23/07/2020 at 06:37, bris red said:

The reason for the delay is blindingly obvious. 

The club is waiting for CH to change his surname to Johnson and the registry office doesn't open till 9 on Monday. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

That’s the gap!

Ive posted before that Ashworth and Ashton’s roles are pretty close.

The gap is scouting.  You’ll know much more about what’s happened there and why....but you need a professional set up with real scouts.  You can’t do it all with video and data.  Plus those people working the video and data need football nous too if you aren’t gonna have “football eyes” In the process.

Archived