IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

10 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

CH supposedly announced as our new manager on Radio 5 earlier.  I'll believe it when I see it.  We have a history of appointing the wrong man at BCFC and having our expectations shattered.

It’s amazing isn’t it? Every other club in the league seems to get the right Manager every time and never make mistakes.

44 minutes ago, Nuno Gomez said:

I’m told the reason for the delay is that he is on holiday in Spain.

Seriously perhaps the board is waiting on the completion of the Premiership to see if there is any fall-out there.

So there's at least another 14 days to wait!!!

:innocent06:

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Ipswich? Hull? Stoke? Boro? All got theirs very wrong over the past 12/18 months!

I think I must have forgotten to add the sarcasm filter to my posts this morning, that’s the 2nd one someone has taken seriously, :)

41 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think I must have forgotten to add the sarcasm filter to my posts this morning, that’s the 2nd one someone has taken seriously, :)

22 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

He is being sarcastic,

You need to adjust your sarcasm  meter

22 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

He is being sarcastic,

You need to adjust your sarcasm  meter

Eyyy it’s early on a Sunday morning lads, go easy ??

I think there is something wrong with the club's recruitment policy. It seems clear to me that SL and the board would be just happy with a Ryan Lowe/Lee Johnson type head coach, that's more control for them, keeping the structure the same, and obviously more cost effective. I am sure if Lee Johnson was approached by a Premier League club earlier on this season then the board would've happily appointed Dean Holden or Jamie McAllister up as his successor.

I think the quality of the squad is at the stage where it needs a firmer control over it and a clearer understanding and discipline, sadly all of which have been missing this season. You only have to look at Cardiff as an example of players deemed nor good enough perhaps for us yet who is in the play offs?

Amazingly I think the general consensus amongst fans is that a strong willed coach who's "been there and done it" is needed. So there's the problemand it will always be there.

My concern is that Hughton's agreed to become the next head coach but that the board are now insistant or meddling on him utilising the current coaching set up to save money which on evidence of the last few matches is plainly past it's sell by date. So effectively being asked to deliver success with one arm tied behind your back.

When I think of strong willed managers I immediately think of Cotts and although his stubbornness was ultimately his downfall, look at the success of historic magnitude  he brought to the club. 

Why can't the board see it????

2 minutes ago, Swede said:

I think there is something wrong with the club's recruitment policy. It seems clear to me that SL and the board would be just happy with a Ryan Lowe/Lee Johnson type head coach, that's more control for them, keeping the structure the same, and obviously more cost effective. I am sure if Lee Johnson was approached by a Premier League club earlier on this season then the board would've happily appointed Dean Holden or Jamie McAllister up as his successor.

I think the quality of the squad is at the stage where it needs a firmer control over it and a clearer understanding and discipline, sadly all of which have been missing this season. You only have to look at Cardiff as an example of players deemed nor good enough perhaps for us yet who is in the play offs?

Amazingly I think the general consensus amongst fans is that a strong willed coach who's "been there and done it" is needed. So there's the problemand it will always be there.

My concern is that Hughton's agreed to become the next head coach but that the board are now insistant or meddling on him utilising the current coaching set up to save money which on evidence of the last few matches is plainly past it's sell by date. So effectively being asked to deliver success with one arm tied behind your back.

When I think of strong willed managers I immediately think of Cotts and although his stubbornness was ultimately his downfall, look at the success of historic magnitude  he brought to the club. 

Sounds pretty accurate,,, the board can see it, but they dont want to disrupt harmony at the good ship bristol city. If promotion occurs with everyone playing nicely then great,,, but having some one with the passion to drive it forward just wont work with the hierarchy of the club.

as it happens i think hughton has the intelligence and ability to work in that situation, but the guy has proven he can deliver.... if he goes to sl and says that ashton and jon arent up to it, that puts everyone in an awkward Situation,, and ashton and whoever else arent going to be happy having their nice salaries disturbed.

21 minutes ago, Swede said:

So whats wrong with the recruitment,

Bentley great keeper

Kalas great defender

Baker good defender

Dasilva promising left back England under 21 captain 

So on and so forth

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

So whats wrong with the recruitment,

Bentley great keeper

Kalas great defender

Baker good defender

Dasilva promising left back England under 21 captain 

So on and so forth

Looking at those 4, it's consistency that's missing.

36 minutes ago, Swede said:

Interesting post and I think this appointment will finally put to rest any speculation from fans and instead confirm what our real priorities are.

Imho, unless Chris Hughton has flatly turned us down, the longer it goes without him being apoointed, this suggests to me we’re focussed on a lesser target and our prime goal is to keep churning over player sales and just hope we can get one season where it clicks, to a point where we can land promotion.

That would make good business sense in terms of sustainability, but the club will have to cut out the bs, regarding going all-out for promotion.

If they turn down the chance of going for someone with a proven record this time, they are going to have to spin it very well to leave any other conclusion than, promotion isn’t a top priority.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Yeah sorry mate, I did eventually twig that you were being sarcastic after I replied on the other thread...! Please don't let halfwits like myself deter you from the righteous and honourable path of sarcasm.

10 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Interesting post and I think this appointment will finally put to rest any speculation from fans and instead confirm what our real priorities are.

Imho, unless Chris Hughton has flatly turned us down, the longer it goes without him being apoointed, this suggests to me we’re focussed on a lesser target and our prime goal is to keep churning over player sales and just hope we can get one season where it clicks, to a point where we can land promotion.

That would make good business sense in terms of sustainability, but the club will have to cut out the bs, regarding going all-out for promotion.

If they turn down the chance of going for someone with a proven record this time, they are going to have to spin it very well to leave any other conclusion than, promotion isn’t a top priority.

Not really because we as fans will have no idea what Hughton's requests were in his interview, if they're unreasonable then how can the club be expected to appoint him just to appease fans?

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Not really because we as fans will have no idea what Hughton's requests were in his interview, if they're unreasonable then how can the club be expected to appoint him just to appease fans?

Unreasonable is a very subjective term though, isn’t it.

He seems to have a great reputation as an honest and dedicated professional.  My suspicion is, the club’s view on unreasonable might be that he isn’t completely happy with either, not having his own backroom staff, or isn’t willing to keep parting with his top players.

If that is the unreasonable we’re talking about, I rest my case that we’re confirming we aren’t serious on a promotion push.

1 minute ago, BrizzleRed said:

He seems to have a great reputation as an honest and dedicated professional.  My suspicion is, the club’s view on unreasonable might be that he isn’t completely happy with either, not having his own backroom staff, or isn’t willing to keep parting with his top players.

If that is the unreasonable we’re talking about, I rest my case that we’re confirming we aren’t serious on a promotion push.

His interest/statement about us was saying we could get promoted with the right backing, what if he wants a bigger transfer budget than we could afford in the current situation? What if we say would you be willing to work with the squad this year and be backed next summer when revenue streams are likely to return to normal and he says its not good enough?

As said none of us will know why it didn't happen if it doesn't so it can't just be automatically assumed the club doesn't isn't serious about promotion etc

3 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Or the club had to interview 8 people on Thursday and Friday, then spend Saturday and Sunday going through the results of said interview, then spend Monday and Tuesday sending out a job offer to a successful candidate then Wednesday appoint said candidate,

This isn't football manager these things do not happen over night 

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

Or the club had to interview 8 people on Thursday and Friday, then spend Saturday and Sunday going through the results of said interview, then spend Monday and Tuesday sending out a job offer to a successful candidate then Wednesday appoint said candidate,

This also isn’t a typical office job that we are talking about. This we have 8 people to interview and we are going to interview them all sounds absolutely nuts. 

Just why did we sack LJ and then seem to be completely caught on the hop as to who we were going to appoint next. It’s just all so slow.

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

All 8 were sat around waiting to find out who got Steve’s pad in Guernsey as “Judges House” goes into full swing. ?

9 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

It often takes ages to get appointed in Football Manager. On FM 19 it took about 2 months for me to get a role after making City Prem champs and winning the CL. 

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

His interest/statement about us was saying we could get promoted with the right backing, what if he wants a bigger transfer budget than we could afford in the current situation? What if we say would you be willing to work with the squad this year and be backed next summer when revenue streams are likely to return to normal and he says its not good enough?

As said none of us will know why it didn't happen if it doesn't so it can't just be automatically assumed the club doesn't isn't serious about promotion etc

He comes across as a very intellegent bloke and I’m sure he’d be pragmatic enough to work with any restrictions due to Covid, as every club will have the same pressures next season.

Apparently he didn’t have huge budgets at Brighton and had an eye for some bargains.  Let’s be fair, they’re a similar sized club to us, so they could manage what he needed.

So as for your last paragraph, with the growing evidence we’ve seen, of this club constantly failing to acknowledge the importance of a proven manager or head coach,  I’ll be drawing the opposite conclusion to you on that one!

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

All 8 were sat around waiting to find out who got Steve’s pad in Guernsey as “Judges House” goes into full swing. ?

Sounds like an episode of The Batchelor (from what I have seen from adverts only).

"Chris Hughton, I give you this rose"

"Ryan Lowe, you also get a rose"

"Robbie Fowler, you can help yourself to what is in the dustbin "

Just now, BrizzleRed said:

I’ll be drawing the opposite conclusion to you on that one!

That's the whole point, I'm not drawing a conclusion because I don't know what would have gone on in that room whereas you are without any solid evidence as to what you're saying is correct

29 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

It is subjective, but I'd think it's more important for the future of the club to consider and act on the basis of how the Board defines it than a bunch of us on here!

And views on what constitutes being serious about promotion are equally subjective; I just don't buy the idea that the Board and the powers that be in the club aren't serious about that. They may have a different view on how we get there, and how sustainable it will be once we get there, but that doesn't make their view wrong and the view of anyone on here right.

Archived