IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

No, I think so far it is just the reporting of Gregor and co, Talksport, Daily Mail and our ITK regular. Oh and Roy DeAlien!

I think City could earn some serious dosh running the Country’s secret service, as there certainly aren’t any leaks here!!!

55 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Be interesting to know if that figure us accurate, but very big if it was.  Also begs the question if true, how can a club like Brighton manage it, but we can’t?

I think I'm right in saying that the suspicion is that they bust ffp, but as it was under the old ffp rules once they were promoted the moved out of the EFL jurisdiction.

QPR did the same and it was not until they were relegated that the EFL could apply a fine ( the only penalty available under the old rules)

Edit: Ive just seen that davefevs has explained Brighton's finances at that time far better than I.

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I think he will be our new manager yes,

Im also not stupid enough to think would happen a day after johnson got sacked and im patient enough to wait for the club to announce their new manager when the club are read

There are rules you have to follow in employing someone employment law the new Rooney rule (I think that's in now)

The paper work it just doesn't happen over night,

The way some are acting is if we just got relegated to the conference or been made bankrupt its ******* stupid

Hope you’re right Monkeh. ?

I can’t remember such a conclusive vote for one candidate on here before.  It would help reunite a pretty divided fanbase, after all the pro and anti LJ stuff we had on here over recent years.

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Like the Gerrard thing could have been nonsense too.

I have always thought Robins would be a likely one to get it. Or that type.

Hughton just does not seem like the right fit for what Lansdown and Ashton want imo.

Are you thinking that Hughton's supposed imminent arrival was placed by his agents to try and force a quicker decision?

13 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

I think City could earn some serious dosh running the Country’s secret service, as there certainly aren’t any leaks here!!!

Ashton is M!

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I think I'm right in saying that the suspicion is that they bust ffp, but as it was under the old ffp rules once they were promoted the moved out of the EFL jurisdiction.

QPR did the same and it was not until they were relegated that the EFL could apply a fine ( the only penalty available under the old rules)

Edit: Ive just seen that davefevs has explained Brighton's finances at that time far better than I.

Yes, Dave has certainly thrown some light on that.  I think we may have partly redressed the balance through our player sales, though we’ve also bought a lot in.

Looks like Brighton are yet another team who have ‘played the FFP game’ and got away with it and the certainly aren’t alone.

Thought of them as a well run club in recent years, so I honestly wouldn’t know if their plan is the right one, but has definitely worked for them.

Anyway, back on subject, yes, CH was clearly backed by Brighton and I can’t see us backing him to that extent.

4 minutes ago, James54De said:

What “actual evidence” do you want? Video? Photo? Statement from Ashton proclaiming “Chris Hughton will be at Ashton Gate tomorrow lunch time for an interview”?

A photo of him sat at a table talking to Mark Ashton outside a cafe?

1 minute ago, James54De said:

What “actual evidence” do you want? Video? Photo? Statement from Ashton proclaiming “Chris Hughton will be at Ashton Gate tomorrow lunch time for an interview”?

I was just imagining all the customers at the local supermarket demanding that the company provide them a list of applicants for  the manager vacancy at their local store , a copy of each applicants CV and  dates and times of their interviews!  They would also want to know why it had taken 3 weeks and still no sign of an appointment 

The post has been basically right on timing. They said last week that it wasn't close whilst talksport and the mail were hyping "it's imminent!".... Turns out the Post was right whilst others, perhaps briefed by CH's agent trying to build up a head of steam for their man, were wrong.

Looks like the Post is the only media outlet that has inside info coming out of the club. And they and others who post here have heard that CH is in the running. 

I can't think of an explanation for his name being so widely discussed and promoted which doesn't involve him being a likely candidate. 

3 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Yes, Dave has certainly thrown some light on that.  I think we may have partly redressed the balance through our player sales, though we’ve also bought a lot in.

Looks like Brighton are yet another team who have ‘played the FFP game’ and got away with it and the certainly aren’t alone.

Thought of them as a well run club in recent years, so I honestly wouldn’t know if their plan is the right one, but has definitely worked for them.

Anyway, back on subject, yes, CH was clearly backed by Brighton and I can’t see us backing him to that extent.

The ffp climate has changed considerably with the new set of ffp rules.

Although the EFL's own cock up caused the par larva regarding stadium sales, it seems fairly clear that policing of ffp is going to be a lot different under Parry than it was under Harvey.

With points deductions available for breaches it would be foolhardy for any club to know try and "pull a fast one" as did Derby, Reading Wednesday and possibly Villa, because even though selling their stadia didn't break the rules the EFL are still tpersuing them over the issue.

QPR, Bournemouth and Wolves all "got away with it" by breaking ffp under the previous rules, but as a fine was the only penalty they obviously felt it a risk worth taken. They also had the previously, pretty inept, EFL regime to deal with. I wonder whether they would have got away so lightly had those ffp breaches occurred now?

Ive mentioned many times previously that our owner made his fortune in the heavily regulated financial services sector. Breaking the financial rules carries swingeing penalties and potentially ruinous damage to a company's reputation and integrity. Because of that I don't think that SL will  operate in a way that breaks the rules or that would call the clubs integrity into question. 

With no disrespect , but by comparison, Brighton's owner was a professional gambler....................

9 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

Couple of rogue apostrophes there. Sorry. 

Those rogue apostrophe's are little buggers' are'nt they?

Alway's catches me out, as Im' not alway's sure where to put them. My principle is that if you put enough of them into a sentence then the law of average's mean's that some are bound to be correct!

Then again thats' not necessarily going to work every time.

:) 

27 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The ffp climate has changed considerably with the new set of ffp rules.

Although the EFL's own cock up caused the par larva regarding stadium sales, it seems fairly clear that policing of ffp is going to be a lot different under Parry than it was under Harvey.

With points deductions available for breaches it would be foolhardy for any club to know try and "pull a fast one" as did Derby, Reading Wednesday and possibly Villa, because even though selling their stadia didn't break the rules the EFL are still tpersuing them over the issue.

QPR, Bournemouth and Wolves all "got away with it" by breaking ffp under the previous rules, but as a fine was the only penalty they obviously felt it a risk worth taken. They also had the previously, pretty inept, EFL regime to deal with. I wonder whether they would have got away so lightly had those ffp breaches occurred now?

Ive mentioned many times previously that our owner made his fortune in the heavily regulated financial services sector. Breaking the financial rules carries swingeing penalties and potentially ruinous damage to a company's reputation and integrity. Because of that I don't think that SL will  operate in a way that breaks the rules or that would call the clubs integrity into question. 

With no disrespect , but by comparison, Brighton's owner was a professional gambler....................

Good post Downend and put that way, you could say, towing the line within financial rules is in Steve Lansdown’s DNA!!!

39 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

If you've gone to Oxford, then you don't need to bother with apostrophes. Apparently. 

Do you bother with apostrophes Rudolph, or don't Greek women interest you?

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Lowe has a better record doesn't he?

I’m not pro or anti Lowe....but also mindful that Bury were heavily backed (and look what happened - not pointing figure at Lowe) and Plymouth are a big Lg2 club.  Just adding a bit of context to what is still a very good achievement to win 2 promotions.

2 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Many thanks for the info Dave.

Apologies for my ignorence on this one, but how did they stay within the allowable 3 year ffp limit of 39m, when they made a 23m loss in 2016 and 36m in 2017?  Did they make a very large profit in 2015?

No, they made a total loss £66m in those 3 years ( £36m, £23m and £7m).  Yet you are allowed to exclude certain costs like Academy, Women’s (which are in BHA’s accounts), etc.  So in their case, you can remove:

• promotion costs - £9m
  • Academy - they are Cat1, and Swiss Ramble tend to allow £5m pa so that’s another £15m

So that takes £66m down to £42m...so no idea cost of Women’s and anything else you can exclude, but suspect it was enough to bring them inside £39m without any dodgy stuff.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

No, under current rules, and as above ⬆️⬆️⬆️, they wouldn’t have broken the £39m once allowables were removed.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not pro or anti Lowe....but also mindful that Bury were heavily backed (and look what happened - not pointing figure at Lowe) and Plymouth are a big Lg2 club.  Just adding a bit of context to what is still a very good achievement to win 2 promotions.

No, they made a total loss £66m in those 3 years ( £36m, £23m and £7m).  Yet you are allowed to exclude certain costs like Academy, Women’s (which are in BHA’s accounts), etc.  So in their case, you can remove:

• promotion costs - £9m
  • Academy - they are Cat1, and Swiss Ramble tend to allow £5m pa so that’s another £15m

So that takes £66m down to £42m...so no idea cost of Women’s and anything else you can exclude, but suspect it was enough to bring them inside £39m without any dodgy stuff.

No, under current rules, and as above ⬆️⬆️⬆️, they wouldn’t have broken the £39m once allowables were removed.

Thanks for the correction Dave.  I know they spent heavily on wages ( a figure of £49m for their promotion year was mentioned on here) to a degree that suggested a breach of ffp. Obviously the allowable you mention brought them back under the limit.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They are, and although they have a very rich owner, aren`t as well funded on the playing side as most people think. They are in the context of League 2 but it will be a different story in League 1 - there will be a lot of clubs that are better off. Most of the owner`s investment has been in building the new Mayflower Stand and he did inject some substantial cash in a few weeks back to get them through the Covid crisis but he has gone on record as saying it will be the last time he will do that.

Argyle`s problem will be the lack of fans next season. They would probably be getting 12-15k for an average home game and would be selling out Home Park for the likes of Pompey and Sunderland.

Archived