IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Plus three promotions - two to the Championship with Scunthorpe and Southampton and one to the Premier League with Southampton.

Hence why he said "recent". It doesn't seem it but his last successful season was 8 years ago. 

15 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Well the time due diligence and the interview process is taking I would think we could easily get there. Maybe they are taking so long in the hope that most candidates will give up waiting and they will give the job to the last man standing.

I just admire Chris Hughton for not commentating on the current situation. 

3 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Plus I'm interested in who Torquay will play in the Johnson Cup.

Thank god we no longer qualify for that!!!

Just now, bcfc01 said:

And why I edited it to say "not so recent".

Sorry for not seeing your edit before replying ?

13 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Find that stance unfathomable and pretty disrespectful.

Yes we needed a change, but he took us from relegation fodder to consistently being in the mix for a top six finish, and for his faults, absolutely loves the club and undoubtedly gave it 100% of his very best every day of his tenure.

So, I think in answer to your question, plenty of people care what he does next and will wish him well in whatever it is.

Point taken. I found, and find, the regard with which some held Lee Johnson unfathomable. Demonstrably not up to the job but defended almost to the very end by people hoping he would be.

But that's yesterday's news. I'm looking forward to new era.

17 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yes we needed a change, but he took us from relegation fodder to consistently being in the mix for a top six finish, and for his faults, absolutely loves the club and undoubtedly gave it 100% of his very best every day of his tenure.

So, I think in answer to your question, plenty of people care what he does next and will wish him well in whatever it is.

I completely agree with you. LJ was the right person for the job at the time but his time was up. He will learn from the experience and I hope he builds on it at another club. I respect him for what he achieved overall. Meanwhile we need an overhaul of the coaching setup so I hope Hughton (if we can get him) will bring in his own team. I am relaxed about the time this is taking, I am sure there are a lot of details to be ironed out, including the relationship of the head coach to the rest of the management structure. It is a crucial appointment, not one to be rushed.

32 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Exactly what I stated previously - he did a good job and has built foundations, and he really gave it everything. I wish him well.

This isn’t meant as a negative post towards CH but can anyone enlighten me as to what makes him the ideal candidate?? 

Is it just his two promotions with Newcastle and Brighton? 

From what I see the club need a bit of a re-build, theirs plenty of talented players in the squad but not that special couple of players that elevate you to the next level, I think the club will need to try to move on some of the fringe players and invest in some key players, especially a midfielder who can link play (Brownhill replacement) 

CH hasn’t got experience in doing this! He took a Newcastle side up that Kevin Keegan built, admittedly he got them playing the way they did that season but he didn’t build the team. Similarly he did the same with Brighton, a lot of the players that are still at the club playing in the Premier League were already at the club when he arrived, he did bring in Sidwell and Murray who were great for them but he also spent millions on players who barely played for Brighton and were let go a loss. 

He may be the answer to City’s prayers but I’m not fully convinced he’s the right man, although if he is announced as head coach I would loved to be proven wrong! 

4 minutes ago, DC10 said:

This isn’t meant as a negative post towards CH but can anyone enlighten me as to what makes him the ideal candidate?? 

From what I see the club need a bit of a re-build, theirs plenty of talented players in the squad but not that special couple of players that elevate you to the next level, I think the club will need to try to move on some of the fringe players and invest in some key players, especially a midfielder who can link play (Brownhill replacement) 

CH hasn’t got experience in doing this! He took a Newcastle side up that Kevin Keegan built, admittedly he got them playing the way they did that season but he didn’t build the team. Similarly he did the same with Brighton, a lot of the players that are still at the club playing in the Premier League were already at the club when he arrived, he did bring in Sidwell and Murray who were great for them but he also spent millions on players who barely played for Brighton and were let go a loss. 

He may be the answer to City’s prayers but I’m not fully convinced he’s the right man, although if he is announced as head coach I would loved to be proven wrong! 

I think a lot was made a few years ago of comparing us to Brighton when they were in the ascendancy, so the fact that he's done it at probably a similar club, at a similar time in their desired journey is a big subconscious box ticker.

I think he's generally regarded as an excellent manager, with very little negative ever said about him by fans of clubs that he's managed also speaks volumes. You normally get really divided opinions on managers, considering they're always sacked eventually, whereas you really have to look for negative comments about Hughton.

Generally seems an all round good egg, nice, humble guy, and IMO would be just such a great fit for us and a sign of the progress we've made.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Possibly but is it the done thing to show an assistant around separately? Would be a bit strange in my opinion. 

Yea it does seem odd but these are strange times and with all this social distancing etc etc will they do things a little different.. Im not sure coming up with all sort of ideas now, Suppose we can all keep guessing to what's going on.

3 minutes ago, DC10 said:

When he joined Brighton they were 21st in the Championship going into the new year. Kept them up and the season after finished 3rd, then comfortably got promoted the season after that. On paper that was a much tougher task than what he’d be up against here.

Just now, AppyDAZE said:

Would Hughton be the man for Watford?

Being debated on Talksport

Can't see it being Chris Hughton, after all this faffing around

Who do we want now?

Watford's big weakness is our strength: fickle/ruthless ownership.

Hughton will have to consider that our board gave Lee Johnson a huge amount of patience, whereas the Pozzo chap at Watford will sack any manager that has a bad run of form.

6 minutes ago, DC10 said:

We may already have some of those special players here though.

Not calling him special by the way, but look how Andi Weimann improved in those few games under Dean Holden, just through playing to his strengths.  

We’ve had so many square pegs stuck in round holes in the last few years, this could almost be like a new team under a new Head Coach, who knows how to use them properly.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Watford's big weakness is our strength: fickle/ruthless ownership.

Hughton will have to consider that our board gave Lee Johnson a huge amount of patience, whereas the Pozzo chap at Watford will sack any manager that has a bad run of form.

This is true, but it's soon not going to be just Watford in need of a manager. I think we will miss out because it has taken too long.

2 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

When he joined Brighton they were 21st in the Championship going into the new year. Kept them up and the season after finished 3rd, then comfortably got promoted the season after that. On paper that was a much tougher task than what he’d be up against here.

Just for balance, a 40m wage budget helped along with a healthy transfer budget.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see what he could do here - but would he fit into the structure here ? Would the club tweak it in order to employ him ? Would the club give him the backing he is used to in this economic climate ? Not sure personally.

8 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Exactly what I stated previously - he did a good job and has built foundations, and he really gave it everything. I wish him well.

Interesting how we all see things differently.....I thought he had no credentials worthy of getting the job in the first place, he bigged himself up at every opportunity with his coaching psychobabble but didn't deliver on "the project" wasting millions in the process and leaving a huge squad that is unbalanced and needs overhauling despite 9 transfer windows. 4 wasted years. 

I don't see any foundations?  We have an academy that was in place and running before he joined, we have signed a lot of young players most of whom have loaned out and may or may not develop into first team players but this season we've struggled to name the mandatory minimum of one home grown player in the match day squad. 

I'm sure he tried and he cared but he wasn't up to the job and should have gone much earlier.

9 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Would Hughton be the man for Watford?

Being debated on Talksport

Can't see it being Chris Hughton, after all this faffing around

Who do we want now?

Why on earth are they debating that!? Didn't they recently announce that he'd joined us?! 

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think a lot was made a few years ago of comparing us to Brighton when they were in the ascendancy, so the fact that he's done it at probably a similar club, at a similar time in their desired journey is a big subconscious box ticker.

I think he's generally regarded as an excellent manager, with very little negative ever said about him by fans of clubs that he's managed also speaks volumes. You normally get really divided opinions on managers, considering they're always sacked eventually, whereas you really have to look for negative comments about Hughton.

Generally seems an all round good egg, nice, humble guy, and IMO would be just such a great fit for us and a sign of the progress we've made.

Yeah I buy that, and he would be perfect to carry on this gradual progression that were on which I see being another series of seasons in the Championship with just making the playoffs being seen as a success in the next couple of seasons

but

I’m not sure CH would be interested in that, surely he’d want to be back in the Premiership sooner rather than later, Brighton wasn’t a slow build for him, he was promoted in his second season there.
It depends what the business model is, if we’re genuinely looking at getting promotion as soon as possible then rather than a good guy who will appease the fans I’d rather see a manager that divides   opinions but will get the job done- now who that is begs a whole other question and if I knew the answer I’d be at Ashton Gate asking for the same salary at MA! ??

1 minute ago, DC10 said:

Yeah I buy that, and he would be perfect to carry on this gradual progression that were on which I see being another series of seasons in the Championship with just making the playoffs being seen as a success in the next couple of seasons

but

I’m not sure CH would be interested in that, surely he’d want to be back in the Premiership sooner rather than later, Brighton wasn’t a slow build for him, he was promoted in his second season there.
It depends what the business model is, if we’re genuinely looking at getting promotion as soon as possible then rather than a good guy who will appease the fans I’d rather see a manager that divides   opinions but will get the job done- now who that is begs a whole other question and if I knew the answer I’d be at Ashton Gate asking for the same salary at MA! ??

I think you're underselling the potential of this squad. I think the Championship looks the weakest it has in a few years for 20/21 and with a few signings and the right management, we could - nay, should - be serious top six contenders. I think another 'series of seasons' in the Championship would be seen as failure, whoever is in charge.

This squad could and should have made top six this season, IMO our squad is certainly better than both of Cardiff and Swansea.

Archived