IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

12 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

When he joined Brighton they were 21st in the Championship going into the new year. Kept them up and the season after finished 3rd, then comfortably got promoted the season after that. On paper that was a much tougher task than what he’d be up against here.

But was it though?? It looks like it on paper I guess but if you look at the young squad he inherited:

Dunk, Baldock, Knockaert, Murphy, March, Norwood, Duffy.

A core of players that have proven to be Premier League quality, City May have one or two rough diamonds that a new manager could improve but it certainly doesn’t have that core of a team ready to go. 
You could argue that we have been punching above our weight in the last few seasons (not so much this year) whereas Brighton were massively under achieving when he took over. ??‍♂️

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think you're underselling the potential of this squad. I think the Championship looks the weakest it has in a few years for 20/21 and with a few signings and the right management, we could - nay, should - be serious top six contenders. I think another 'series of seasons' in the Championship would be seen as failure, whoever is in charge.

This squad could and should have made top six this season, IMO our squad is certainly better than both of Cardiff and Swansea.

The Preston boss said the same thing prior to our recent game...

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think you're underselling the potential of this squad. I think the Championship looks the weakest it has in a few years for 20/21 and with a few signings and the right management, we could - nay, should - be serious top six contenders. I think another 'series of seasons' in the Championship would be seen as failure, whoever is in charge.

This squad could and should have made top six this season, IMO our squad is certainly better than both of Cardiff and Swansea.

You’re quite possibly right and I’m just playing devil’s advocate with my comments but could you name 5 city players that could step into ANY premier league side, even the likes Norwich, Bournemouth etc? Dasilva probably but other than that I’m struggling. ??‍♂️

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah I'll be interested to see what he does next - same with all the other managers that were here a while and/or achieved success. I've followed GJ's career since he left, look out for what Cotterill is up to and will with LJ.

Interestingly just looked up SOD's career path since leaving us, not last anywhere very long and didnt realise he was assistant manager at Liverpool for a couple of months!

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Interestingly just looked up SOD's career path since leaving us, not last anywhere very long and didnt realise he was assistant manager at Liverpool for a couple of months!

By all accounts he's an excellent coach. He had a good eye for a player too - JET, Pack, Wagstaff, Williams and Flint were all his signings. Flint under a bit of duress because of the fee (300k!) given our situation at the time. He also saw the potential in Reid and Bryan.

He obviously lacks the people skills and charisma for a fanbase to warm to him, but I think whilst here he had to make lots of difficult decisions and tell the board lots of home truths. The rot set in during the latter GJ period and he had to try and turn us around.

17 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Good point. On paper it's a very weak league relatively speaking. Add to that lots of clubs cutting the cloth due to Covid I think it's a great opportunity for us to challenge.

I think the core of our squad is good, we need a few additions but the foundations are there for us to be competitive in my opinion.

16 minutes ago, DC10 said:

But was it though?? It looks like it on paper I guess but if you look at the young squad he inherited:

A core of players that have proven to be Premier League quality, City May have one or two rough diamonds that a new manager could improve but it certainly doesn’t have that core of a team ready to go. 
You could argue that we have been punching above our weight in the last few seasons (not so much this year) whereas Brighton were massively under achieving when he took over. ??‍♂️

Think Hughton signed at least 3 of those players.

39 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Would Hughton be the man for Watford?

Being debated on Talksport

Can't see it being Chris Hughton, after all this faffing around

Who do we want now?

What faffing around?

You me the correct employment process any business has to undertake by law?

Or the fact lansdown hasn't personally kept you informed on whos getting the job

50 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Possibly but is it the done thing to show an assistant around separately? Would be a bit strange in my opinion. 

In a hypothetical sense Hughton could have travelled home to prepare for starting here, Trollope wouldn't need to speak to Hughton to know whether he'd want to work with him and as said could just be the time he could be there to be showed around. Would not be surprised if we waited to announce the new gaffer until their assistant was confirmed as well if its a working relationship like Hughton/Trollope. 

25 minutes ago, DC10 said:

You’re quite possibly right and I’m just playing devil’s advocate with my comments but could you name 5 city players that could step into ANY premier league side, even the likes Norwich, Bournemouth etc? Dasilva probably but other than that I’m struggling. ??‍♂️

No, but you're not trying to compete with Premier League squads. Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford will lose some of their best players. I think I'd struggle to name six squads better than ours on paper for 20/21.

Just now, BRISTOL86 said:

No, but you're not trying to compete with Premier League squads. Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford will lose some of their best players. I think I'd struggle to name six squads better than ours on paper for 20/21.

Talking of Bournemouth, I don’t suppose we’ve been waiting for Bournemouth to be relegated so we can approach Eddie Howe?  

33 minutes ago, DC10 said:

Out of the 7 names you listed, only 3 were inherited:

Dunk, Baldock and March.

Hughton signed the other 4 you list, Knockaert, Murphy, Norwood and Duffy

35 minutes ago, DC10 said:

If Johnson has that team, he would have sold Murray for not being a ‘busy bee’ and signed Engvall to replace him.

The longer this takes, the more I'm inclined to feel that Hughton may have reservations about the City job.  There could be many reasons to explain his reluctance, which we could all probably guess at, so I won't bother to list them; with respect to ourselves, I can't see why it would take City this long to sign CH as the manager - not with his track record and skill set.

13 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Talking of Bournemouth, I don’t suppose we’ve been waiting for Bournemouth to be relegated so we can approach Eddie Howe?  

Even if Bournemouth sack him, if you were Howe, would you jump straight back in with us so immediately after losing a long term job? 

I'd be looking to take a bit of time off. He doesn't strike me as a likely candidate to me due to the timing of everything. 

52 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Interesting how we all see things differently.....I thought he had no credentials worthy of getting the job in the first place, he bigged himself up at every opportunity with his coaching psychobabble but didn't deliver on "the project" wasting millions in the process and leaving a huge squad that is unbalanced and needs overhauling despite 9 transfer windows. 4 wasted years. 

I don't see any foundations?  We have an academy that was in place and running before he joined, we have signed a lot of young players most of whom have loaned out and may or may not develop into first team players but this season we've struggled to name the mandatory minimum of one home grown player in the match day squad. 

I'm sure he tried and he cared but he wasn't up to the job and should have gone much earlier.

Don’t worry.

These people who say Johnson did a good job are the same people who have been defending him for the last few months. They will eventually come round to the fact that post that Wolverhampton match we’ve been in steady decline and that Johnson(and others) after 4.5 years has created a bit of a squad monster with a massive hole in the middle (eg no midfield), no identity, shape or formation.

10 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Even if Bournemouth sack him, if you were Howe, would you jump straight back in with us so immediately after losing a long term job? 

I'd be looking to take a bit of time off. He doesn't strike me as a likely candidate to me due to the timing of everything. 

All depends on his character, some people hate being out of work and sitting around and much prefer to get back into work straight away.

13 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

The longer this takes, the more I'm inclined to feel that Hughton may have reservations about the City job.  There could be many reasons to explain his reluctance, which we could all probably guess at, so I won't bother to list them; with respect to ourselves, I can't see why it would take City this long to sign CH as the manager - not with his track record and skill set.

I think a reasonable assumption is to wait for the job losses to leave the news cycle. The optics would be terrible if we had announced X amount of job losses... then signed a manager for £20,000 per week plus a seven figure bonus for promotion. 

I also think it's not necessarily a bad thing that we're taking our time. You'd hope it means we are being very prudent about our choice and making absolutely sure he's the right man. It seems in hindsight, LJ was our only candidate in 2016 and surely that's not best practice.

Obviously it's a bit of concern that rival clubs may come in for him, but I think we're in a strong position.

17 hours ago, Red Exile said:

I'd not consider myself a 'headless chicken' but in bleak moments I am worried, it's been forty years now...that's a long wait...

...and I can't get the words 'trust me on Tinnion' out of my head.

I've got some good news for you, RE......the words are beginning to leave your head....

He actually said "Judge me on Tinnion" :)

18 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Don’t worry.

These people who say Johnson did a good job are the same people who have been defending him for the last few months. They will eventually come round to the fact that post that Wolverhampton match we’ve been in steady decline and that Johnson(and others) after 4.5 years has created a bit of a squad monster with a massive hole in the middle (eg no midfield), no identity, shape or formation.

Johnson did a good job ive been calling for him to go since halfway through last season

Theres you point disproved right there

5 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I've got some good news for you, RE......the words are beginning to leave your head....

He actually said "Judge me on Tinnion" :)

It's probably age...but wow...that's even worse! Haha.

I wouldn't want to be judged on the quality of that appointment!

Archived