IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

1 hour ago, Richard Head said:

I completely agree with you. LJ was the right person for the job at the time but his time was up. He will learn from the experience and I hope he builds on it at another club. I respect him for what he achieved overall. Meanwhile we need an overhaul of the coaching setup so I hope Hughton (if we can get him) will bring in his own team. I am relaxed about the time this is taking, I am sure there are a lot of details to be ironed out, including the relationship of the head coach to the rest of the management structure. It is a crucial appointment, not one to be rushed.

He was not the right person for the job at the time, nobody on here had one thought that he would be our next manager at the time that Cotterill was sacked. We had 2-3 weeks ( like now) of name after name being put forward, his name wasn  on the lips of any City fan. His record was underwhelming to say the least, Barnsley and Oldham fans laughed at us for employing him. 

SL wanted someone who looked up to him, and LJ turned out to be that person. It’s comical in some respects. 

I’m not knocking SL for what he has done for this club, but his own choice of managers are not something he has done very well. Even when LJ was clearly struggling he gave him a new 4 year contract, the mind boggles.

4 hours ago, Red Exile said:

I thought we'd got rid of Lee Johnson. And not before time.

Who cares what he does next. :dunno:

Agreed, but I think there's a difference between being interested in what he does next, to having the emotional attachment of 'caring'.

In that context I don't care - his team and tactics frustrated and bored me senseless far too often for that, but I can't help but be interested.

Mostly because I think he 'winged it' here for large periods such that I doubt he'll ever manage at this level again - or certainly not for this length of time.

Therefore I am interested to see where he ends up next, and how he fares, but I maintain he should never have got the City job in the first place, and under any other owner he would have gone long ago anyway.

I'm certainly not going to pretend to 'care' now just because the PC contingent on here who like him as a person and feel a bit sad for him that he was sacked, think I should, and that it's a bit mean to say I don't.

45 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think a reasonable assumption is to wait for the job losses to leave the news cycle. The optics would be terrible if we had announced X amount of job losses... then signed a manager for £20,000 per week plus a seven figure bonus for promotion. 

I also think it's not necessarily a bad thing that we're taking our time. You'd hope it means we are being very prudent about our choice and making absolutely sure he's the right man. It seems in hindsight, LJ was our only candidate in 2016 and surely that's not best practice.

Obviously it's a bit of concern that rival clubs may come in for him, but I think we're in a strong position.

Wise words, as always, Foggy.  I am still concerned that we've took too long filling this crucial position and subsequently lost the benefit of providing the future manager with an abundance of time to fully judge the squad and have valuable input on transfer dealings.  

4 hours ago, Notbarrymanc said:

We’d have to poach him. Iain Dowie is an area sales manager for a company in Sussex ?

He had one or two pretty exceptional seasons at Palace as manager and that was about it? He’s still pretty young for a football gaffer - surprised he didn’t stay in the game somewhere, other than his Sky Sports appearances ...

3 hours ago, 2015 said:

Adkins would be a good appointment for us in my opinion. His sides generally have been quite attacking, did do a good job at Hull.

Had Bowen and Grosicki however. McCann did a similar type of job when he had these two. He also had Henriksen (yes I know!) but fair to say he got more out of him than LJ.

Would've been fair to judge him for half a season with Bowen and Grosicki sold come January.

Bowen-Campbell-Grosicki 4-3-3. Quite nice!

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/remarkable-stat-shows-how-much-2805925

On TS earlier Jim White and Danny Murphy were ‘bigging up’ Hughton as someone Watford should be looking at to get them back to the premier league quickly. They couldn’t have said it more if they tried! Perhaps Chris was waiting to see which clubs came down and which of those needed a gaffer? Who knows?! No one really ...

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

On TS earlier Jim White and Danny Murphy were ‘bigging up’ Hughton as someone Watford should be looking at to get them back to the premier league quickly. They couldn’t have said it more if they tried! Perhaps Chris was waiting to see which clubs came down and which of those needed a gaffer? Who know?! No one really ...

It’s a good point but if that’s the case we should have acted much sooner

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He had one or two pretty exceptional seasons at Palace as manager and that was about it? He’s still pretty young for a football gaffer - surprised he didn’t stay in the game somewhere, other than his Sky Sports appearances ...

... but when the chance to become a male model came up what was he to do?

1 hour ago, DC10 said:

You’re right he did sign Knockaert, the others through were there when Hyypiä was in charge. 

No, that’s incorrect.

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

Nope. He signed Duffy, Norwood and Murphy as well.

Correct.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

The longer this takes, the more I'm inclined to feel that Hughton may have reservations about the City job.  There could be many reasons to explain his reluctance, which we could all probably guess at, so I won't bother to list them; with respect to ourselves, I can't see why it would take City this long to sign CH as the manager - not with his track record and skill set.

One example of many I could quote:

Other managers are on the market and will likely be on the market. Other clubs are looking for managers. If Hughton is the chosen one he may also have offers from other clubs. It’s a bidding process. It takes time. 

5 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

It’s a good point but if that’s the case we should have acted much sooner

As BS4 says below, it might not necessarily have been our decision. 

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

On TS earlier Jim White and Danny Murphy were ‘bigging up’ Hughton as someone Watford should be looking at to get them back to the premier league quickly. They couldn’t have said it more if they tried! Perhaps Chris was waiting to see which clubs came down and which of those needed a gaffer? Who knows?! No one really ...

If CH is as attractive an option as many suggest, then perhaps he knows how marketable he is and  thinks there could be a "better" option than Bristol City.

2 hours ago, DC10 said:

This isn’t meant as a negative post towards CH but can anyone enlighten me as to what makes him the ideal candidate?? 

Is it just his two promotions with Newcastle and Brighton? 

From what I see the club need a bit of a re-build, theirs plenty of talented players in the squad but not that special couple of players that elevate you to the next level, I think the club will need to try to move on some of the fringe players and invest in some key players, especially a midfielder who can link play (Brownhill replacement) 

CH hasn’t got experience in doing this! He took a Newcastle side up that Kevin Keegan built, admittedly he got them playing the way they did that season but he didn’t build the team. Similarly he did the same with Brighton, a lot of the players that are still at the club playing in the Premier League were already at the club when he arrived, he did bring in Sidwell and Murray who were great for them but he also spent millions on players who barely played for Brighton and were let go a loss. 

He may be the answer to City’s prayers but I’m not fully convinced he’s the right man, although if he is announced as head coach I would loved to be proven wrong! 

A Brownhill replacement ie a midfielder who can link the midfield and attack. Good point. 

Don't think we actually used him in an optimum position, because had it been a 4-4-1-1 with Brownhill in a central but freeish role as the '1' it could've solved the issue with being outnumbered in CM- same if he was central on a 4-2-3-1, in the '3'.

Could add our 4-1-4-1 in 2018/19 but Paterson wasn't the optimal third man IMO. Better than Palmer in that respect but still not such a good fit.

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think you're underselling the potential of this squad. I think the Championship looks the weakest it has in a few years for 20/21 and with a few signings and the right management, we could - nay, should - be serious top six contenders. I think another 'series of seasons' in the Championship would be seen as failure, whoever is in charge.

This squad could and should have made top six this season, IMO our squad is certainly better than both of Cardiff and Swansea.

I don't know about better. Similar standard and top 6 obtainable though? Absolutely. 

Should've been aiming for 5th or 6th this season.

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Just for balance, a 40m wage budget helped along with a healthy transfer budget.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see what he could do here - but would he fit into the structure here ? Would the club tweak it in order to employ him ? Would the club give him the backing he is used to in this economic climate ? Not sure personally.

@Aaron-Bcfc

Should also add, for further balance, Brighton had made playoffs in both 2012-13 and  2013-14.

Would be interesting to see how many of those at the club when he joined.

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Interestingly just looked up SOD's career path since leaving us, not last anywhere very long and didnt realise he was assistant manager at Liverpool for a couple of months!

What’s just as amazing is he was England under 19 manager prior to joining Liverpool 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

No, but you're not trying to compete with Premier League squads. Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford will lose some of their best players. I think I'd struggle to name six squads better than ours on paper for 20/21.

Don't forget that we will be losing Maenpaa, Benkovic, Perreira, Afobe, and likely Diedhiou and Eliasson, with the club looking to sell on Baker as well as Smith probably leaving.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

By all accounts he's an excellent coach. He had a good eye for a player too - JET, Pack, Wagstaff, Williams and Flint were all his signings. Flint under a bit of duress because of the fee (300k!) given our situation at the time. He also saw the potential in Reid and Bryan.

He obviously lacks the people skills and charisma for a fanbase to warm to him, but I think whilst here he had to make lots of difficult decisions and tell the board lots of home truths. The rot set in during the latter GJ period and he had to try and turn us around.

This overlooks his solid record at Doncaster and Bournemouth and his harsh sacking by Nottingham Forest.

Perhaps we were for a while just a bit of a basket case? 

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Aaron-Bcfc

Should also add, for further balance, Brighton had made playoffs in both 2012-13 and  2013-14.

Would be interesting to see how many of those at the club when he joined.

From 13/14, the main players left were:

Dunk, Bruno, Forster-Caskey, March, Stephens, and Ince....not that many really.

D0CA54DD-8417-40C4-A40D-A54117DC7DD4.thumb.jpeg.4359d1f343ffb3b134642262f1e15404.jpeg

Hyypia brought in a good number in the summer upon appointment.  Hughton made one permanent signing and a few on loan.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This overlooks his solid record at Doncaster and Bournemouth and his harsh sacking by Nottingham Forest.

Perhaps we were for a while just a bit of a basket case? 

We were. Without SOD I’m not sure we would have bounced back as quickly. Gave the club some hard truths and help push the changes needed 

I still cant get past the fact you can't bet on it. If there is still speculation around who and multiple candidate's being interviewed then why no bets available?

Are they basing it solely on Talksport, Daily Mail going early and saying it's his?

1 minute ago, Gazred said:

I still cant get past the fact you can't bet on it. If there is still speculation around who and multiple candidate's being interviewed then why no bets available?

Are they basing it solely on Talksport, Daily Mail going early and saying it's his?

Yes I dont get ether,

Surely if it wasn't close or done then the bookies would reopen to bets,

Archived